Hotter legs than Jynx, but not Miltank. [OU RMT]

~~~Introduction~~~
I love this team. Comprised of favourites and actually useful Pokemon, it fits in perfectly with the Platinum metagame. Top threats such as Scizor and Heatran are stopped cold by this team, making it fun to use as well as successful. This team is for Shoddy rather than Wifi. This has a few edits from the last post, such as revamped Moltres, Mamoswine and Kingdra EVs.

~~~The team at a glance~~~

~~~The team in-depth~~~

Firestarter (Moltres) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 188 HP/164 Def/156 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Roost
---
One of the best Pokemon in today's metagame; Moltres beats many of the top threats such as Heatran, Lucario, Infernape and Scizor. Will-o-wisp gives my team some residual damage as well as some leeway with physical attackers. Flamethrower is a nice, strong STAB attack that lets me beat Lucario and Scizor. Hidden Power [Ground] 2HKOs Heatran. Roost is for obvious healing, and gets rid of some nasty weaknesses. EVs outspeed Adamant Lucario, give a Leftovers number and nice Defence.

Still Grey (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/136 Atk/120 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
---
Another amazing Pokemon. Registeel has amazing Defences, a great typing and nice movepool. Ice Punch lets it pose a threat to the Dragons and Shaymin-S, all of which are commonly seen. Thunder Wave offers some support and ruins Heatran switch-ins. It also helps out with Tauntless Gyarados. Stealth Rock sets up Stealth Rock, which is amazingly useful. Explosion helps remove the Bulky Waters from play, such as Gyarados and Suicune. Max HP lets it take hits from both sides of the spectrum. 136 Attack deals 75% minimum damage to Shaymin-S with Ice Punch, meaning it dies if it switches into Stealth Rock. 120 Special Defence is leftover, but gives it a very healthy stat.

I Buy The Drugs (Hitmontop) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP/252 Def/20 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Brick Break
---
I needed a Rapid Spinner and Tyranitar counter, so why not use Hitmontop? Rapid Spin gets rid of entry hazards, clearing the way for Kingdra and Moltres who hate Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock respectively. Rest and Sleep Talk give me a status absorber and a way to recover. Brick Break as it is the best Fighting move that Hitmontop has, without lowering its survivability. 236 HP is max Leftovers. 252 Defence lets it take a lot of abuse, and 20 Special Defence is leftover, but works nicely with his base 110 stat.

Know Your Enemy (Salamence) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump
---
A lot of people expect DDMence, and this hits their switch-in hard. Standard SpecsMence, there is nothing to really say other than that it hits like a truck.

Break Down The Walls (Mamoswine) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
---
Once again, standard CBSwine. Once again, outspeeds Neutral base 90s. I might just run max though, as 5 extra Defence has not seemed to help. I may also run Adamant, but the extra Speed is always welcome.

Positive Tension (Kingdra) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 32 HP/248 Atk/228 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Return
---
My final Pokemon, and a long time favourite of mine; Kingdra. Dragon Dance is an obvious stat boosting move, making way for a sweep. Waterfall is a strong STAB that comes with a chance to flinch, which works well with Kingdra's Speed. Thanks to Platinum, Kingdra now has a Dragon STAB to work with in the form of Outrage. After a Dragon Dance, Kingdra has 474 Attack. Combine that with Life Orb, and you have a powerhouse. Add to the mix a STAB base 120 Attack that is resisted by just one type, and you have a top-tier threat. Return, although adding no coverage, is always useful to pick off Bulky Waters that you would otherwise have to kill with Outrage, leaving you open to a Steel switch-in.

~~~Songs used for nicknames~~~

Firestarter-The Prodigy
Still Grey-Pendulum
I Buy The Drugs-Electric Six
Know Your Enemy-Rage Against The Machine
Break Down The Walls-Fozzy
Positive Tension-Bloc Party

I can see problems with Gyarados, but so far I have managed to play around it. Most Dragon Dance on Moltres expecting a switch, but they eat a Will-o-wisp. Registeel can set up on Tauntless versions and Explode. Salamence can come in on a burned or paralysed one and KO with Draco Meteor. Kingdra can work as a backup.

Somebody said about problems with Zapdos, but I have sorted it out through Registeel, Mamoswine and Kingdra.

Appliance Rotom is always an annoyance, but Draco Meteor and then Mamoswine or Kingdra normally end it.

EDIT: I forgot about offensive Suicune. Yeah, they are a bitch. Draco Meteor then Explode I suppose. I cannot really think of much else to handle it.

If someone can point out EV mistakes or what not, I appreciate it.

I remember playing against this team and being bitter because you ended my winning streak. It's definitely a solid team, but there are a couple things that might give you some problems. The first thing is that you have three pokemon that outspeed neutral base 90s. If a +speed nature lucario gets off a SD or CM, your team will be swept, with they possible exception of hitmontop taking a SD version. A +speed CMCune would be even worse, but they aren't nearly as common.

I would think about giving your salamence at least speed evs to outspeed +speed natured base 85s. You could also try a timid nature to check +speed 90s but you would be sacrificing power to do so.

I am not using Moltres as a lead to be a good lead, I am using it as a lead because there is nothing else on my team that would be better. Salamence would work, but I want to keep that as a surprise to hit common switch-ins. Mamoswine I do not really want to risk, as it really is useful in stopping Shaymin-S, Salamence and what not.

Removing Hitmontop means losing Tyranitar coverage. Although you have said Registeel can deal with it, DDTar would destroy my team if I lost Hitmontop. Having everything on my team 2HKOed by Tyranitar really does warrant the need for a counter. It would also mean one less Rock resist, which is useful due to my heavily Rock weak team. DDTauntTar would also have a field day.

MixMence could be beneficial, but I generally like the immediate power SpecsMence has. Not losing 10% each turn is also great. I might test it at some point.

Running Jolly on Mamoswine helps with revenging most other Mamoswines and base 90's. I have used Adamant in the past, but changed to Jolly as I felt the Speed was more important. I will just use a 252/252/4 spread on it though, as I do not think 5 Defence is doing much.

I do think I rely to much on base 90's being Neutral. I mean, Moltres can handle Lucario if it lacks Stone Edge, and if it does then Hitmontop can take care of it.

Suicune is just a problem. I originally had Earthquake over Explosion on Registeel, but that is one of the reasons I changed. Exploding then revenging with Salamence, Kingdra or Mamoswine seems to work, and as you said it is not very common.

EDIT:I could do, but I have never been a fan of 252/252/4, especially when the extra Speed does nothing much.

Neutral Roserade caps at 279, Salamence hits 280.

EDIT2:Although I could go to 290 for base 95s. I have not seen many base 95 Pokemon in OU to be honest, so I do not really see the point.

SpecsNite > SpecsMence would seem to help you more. It isn't utterly walled by Blissey and T-bolt will KO any bulker water (other than Swampert) who troubles Mamoswine, Moltres, or Kingdra. As it is, you have no reliable way to get rid of CM Cune.

Leftovers and Sub can go on Kingdra, allowing to better handle threats who try to set up on you.

EDIT: Another option is using the TechTop set with Rapid Spin so you can dent stuff to sweep with later using maybe Ice Shard?

Then switch Kingdra to the offensive Restalkin' set, works great.

SpecsNite > SpecsMence would seem to help you more. It isn't utterly walled by Blissey and T-bolt will KO any bulker water (other than Swampert) who troubles Mamoswine, Moltres, or Kingdra. As it is, you have no reliable way to get rid of CM Cune.

Leftovers and Sub can go on Kingdra, allowing to better handle threats who try to set up on you.

EDIT: Another option is using the TechTop set with Rapid Spin so you can dent stuff to sweep with later using maybe Ice Shard?

Then switch Kingdra to the offensive Restalkin' set, works great.
well draco meteor is stronger than a SE tbolt, so its really not all that useful. dragonite also has 20 less speed an 10 less base special attack. getting outran by timid suicune sucks. his team already has plenty of ways of dealing with blissey.

anyway my post got deleted for some reason, I suggested using max speed on salamence to outrun timid suicune, adamant electivire, and modest roserade.

For some reason I was thinking Suicune had base 90. I will probably run 252 then, and then max it on Mamoswine.

I did run Leftovers on Kingdra for a while, but the lack of power really bugged me.

personally, i dont like how much you rely on registeel for defense, because at the moment, he is the one dealing with bulky waters (and who are we kidding, that means he is exploding on bulky waters), dragons (there is no way you are switching Mamoswine into anything with outrage, you need him for revenge killing), rotom and zapdos are both trouble and again you switch in registeel to take hits.

woah woah woah slow down, registeel is taking so much unneccesary abuse! First of all, we can either replace hitmontop or salamence. It may seem odd removing mence but unfortunately, it would leave your only special attackers being weak to Stealth Rock which is not really good at all... Salamence also seems to not be much of a team player, just looking for opportunities to switch in but not finding them. Kingdra would switch into heatran, registeel would switch in shaymin-s, moltres is coming into infernape...you see where im going with this. Personally, I feel that SpecsMence is still a big threat but it needs proper team support to be any good at all, otherwise you should just use something like azelf or infernape. Im gonna say keep hitmontop for now because it seems like it could be a pretty effective set with rest talk + rapid spin for moltres. It also is a pretty bulky switch-in which is nice to keep. the starmie suggested earlier is a decent choice although id keep hitmontop for now. your choice!

well upon looking on what would be hitting registeel, i think its obvious it needs to be able to counter rotom-h, zapdos, bulky waters, and maybe dragons. after racking my brain, i figured that rotom-h is your best bet. Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball / Rest / Sleep Talk. The thing im going to suggest is running a bit more speed than normal, and I mean something like 245-270 speed to outpace defensive celebi and zapdos or even going to outspeed heracross. Rotom-h provides a fighting and ground immune which is what helps registeel. he gives nice special attack. And he isnt weak to ice or dragon meaning he could possibly switch into those attacks.

rotom-h also gives you a switch-in to azelf as it will probably explode on you.

keep the moltres lead, not only does it take out shaymin-s, heatran, scizor, and bronzong leads but you are exactly right, nothing else on this team should be leading.

Still Grey (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/136 Atk/120 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
---
Another amazing Pokemon. Registeel has amazing Defences, a great typing and nice movepool. Ice Punch lets it pose a threat to the Dragons and Shaymin-S, all of which are commonly seen. Thunder Wave offers some support and ruins Heatran switch-ins. It also helps out with Tauntless Gyarados. Stealth Rock sets up Stealth Rock, which is amazingly useful. Explosion helps remove the Bulky Waters from play, such as Gyarados and Suicune. Max HP lets it take hits from both sides of the spectrum. 136 Attack deals 75% minimum damage to Shaymin-S with Ice Punch, meaning it dies if it switches into Stealth Rock. 120 Special Defence is leftover, but gives it a very healthy stat.
You say here that Shaymin-S dies to Ice Punch if it switches into Stealth Rock, but I see no stealth rock anywhere on the team... Just something I thought I'd point out.

I completely agree with all of the above rates.

Edit: Nevermind. I see it on registeel XD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)