How Diverse is your Palate?

How much diversity do you like in your diet?

• I can eat food from 6-8+ different cuisine cultures in a given week and still get bored easily

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I typically eat 3-5 different types of cuisine in a given week

Votes: 38 40.4%
  • I generally stick to a typical native Palate, but like to spice it up once in a while

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • I like eating native cuisine everyday, and generally don't want to try different cuisines too often

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • There's a type of cuisine I LOVE to eat all the time, but it's not native to my home culture

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I'm Mexican and I hate eating our authentic food I prefer the American miscellaneous crap version more.
#quesdarito from taco bell.
I actually like the UK version of Chinese food.
No need to worry about internal organs/ bones, etc.

I'm fine with only eating Green Apples, as I don't get bored with food. But when it comes to diversity, I'm fine with all kinds of food and I like to experiment. The only food I tried and never liked was Sushi.

There are things that I might not want to ever eat like Foie gras because I find it disgusting and I can't see myself eating it

I don't get people who only eat 1 type of food. Fucking experiment you fucking boring cunts. Same thing with people who only listen to one genre/style of music.

And it's not just the Chinese and Indians.

I've found Japanese people are more willing to try different things-- but go into a Soba shop in Waikiki, and 90% of the clients are Japanese tourists, same with Ramen shops.
There is nothing odd with eating the food you grew up with, regularly, on a day-to-day basis. It would annoy the shit out of me though if my friends insisted on eating the same shit they eat everyday, when we go out. Try out some variety when you go out.

I'm Mexican and I hate eating our authentic food I prefer the American miscellaneous crap version more.
#quesdarito from taco bell.
Awesome joke dude. I'm still slapping my knees as I type.

I got my first real try at Mexican food on a vacation to the Yucatan recently. Fuggen amazing is all I have to say. Stay away from the tourists spots though - It's 30 bucks a plate and crappy. I need another vacation. Not enough authentic Mexican spots where I live. Oh and if you're going on a vacation and trying out food - Go all the way. Don't order a nice dish and down it with coke - Have a drink (just not water) from the place. The fruit juices and horchatas in Mexico were great since everything was grown in the region. Try out some of the local sodas, fruits, vegetables, etc

Oh yeah one last thing: Watch the show Bizarre Foods w/ Andrew Zimmern, for people who aren't keen on experimenting - That show changed my whole attitude towards trying out new foods.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
the place i cook at serves a different type of cuisine every day so i'm pretty familiar with all the classics from each type, but i love going to random mom and pop shops and trying weird shit

i guess i'm in between the first and second option. i eat diversely as fuck but i never get bored :o

i love food :]

Reactions: KM
There is nothing odd with eating the food you grew up with, regularly, on a day-to-day basis. It would annoy the shit out of me though if my friends insisted on eating the same shit they eat everyday, when we go out. Try out some variety when you go out.
Why would it annoy you, unless you're paying? This isn't aimed just at you; I don't understand the derision for people who know what they like in this thread. The arguments for experimenting when you go out are well-known, but there are arguments for eating stuff you know you like, such as: a) making sure you have a good time b) not wasting money c) if you go out, the food is prolly better than if you cooked it yourself, so why not make the most of it?

Personally it annoys the shit out of me when my friends meddle in my dietary choices, which are mine alone (and also shared with my doctor in my case). It's one thing to encourage people to try new things and I've sought recommendations from people before and tried what they suggested, but when people make their disapproval obvious when all I wanna do is eat my bland but satisfying meal in peace, it's incredibly needlessly condescending. It's not like you're convincing a five-year-old to eat vegetables.

Why would it annoy you, unless you're paying? This isn't aimed just at you; I don't understand the derision for people who know what they like in this thread. The arguments for experimenting when you go out are well-known, but there are arguments for eating stuff you know you like, such as: a) making sure you have a good time b) not wasting money c) if you go out, the food is prolly better than if you cooked it yourself, so why not make the most of it?

Personally it annoys the shit out of me when my friends meddle in my dietary choices, which are mine alone (and also shared with my doctor in my case). It's one thing to encourage people to try new things and I've sought recommendations from people before and tried what they suggested, but when people make their disapproval obvious when all I wanna do is eat my bland but satisfying meal in peace, it's incredibly needlessly condescending. It's not like you're convincing a five-year-old to eat vegetables.
It would annoy me to see my friends miss out on a lot of good new things. I give a fuck what a stranger does but I'd like to help out a friend try a new enjoyable experience. Of course I'd just call them out on it once and not bother them again if they're really that close minded and persistent to eat the same crap over and over.

It would annoy me to see my friends miss out on a lot of good new things. I give a fuck what a stranger does but I'd like to help out a friend try a new enjoyable experience. Of course I'd just call them out on it once and not bother them again if they're really that close minded and persistent to eat the same crap over and over.
Don't you think maybe you're being the one who's closed-minded by refusing to allow that some people are happy not trying new foods and a lot of them wouldn't be happier if they did? Not everyone is gonna love the majority of things they try out, or even half, or even a quarter, live and let live...

I mean, jeez, I get this is a 'I've eaten a breakfast, lunch, and dinner dish from every largely-recognised sovereign state, check out my culinary adventures' thread, and I think it's super neat that you've all had such a variety of experiences, but it's seriously not for everyone.

Don't you think maybe you're being the one who's closed-minded by refusing to allow that some people are happy not trying new foods and a lot of them wouldn't be happier if they did? Not everyone is gonna love the majority of things they try out, or even half, or even a quarter, live and let live...

I mean, jeez, I get this is a 'I've eaten a breakfast, lunch, and dinner dish from every largely-recognised sovereign state, check out my culinary adventures' thread, and I think it's super neat that you've all had such a variety of experiences, but it's seriously not for everyone.
No I'm not being close minded. If I were your friend and I knew how you were, I wouldn't bother you with it, if that makes you feel better. I'm not someone whose going to be at your throat if I know you don't want to try it. But part of being friends is sharing experiences and good times. It is true that it's not for everyone - My stepdad is like you. Dry and unadventurous, the guy won't even eat vegetables so I don't pressure him because I know what he is like. But I assumed in a food thread people would understand what I meant.

People who like trying out new things will help other people out. I never understood how awesome trying out different foods was until I saw Andrew Zimmern eating bull testicles in Nicaragua, so I'll try to help other people try it out to open their minds to new things. I'm all about live and let live and I definitely respect your decision but live and let live =/= never communicating things to friends. If it were, a lot of people would miss out on a lot of great things, not just food.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

If it means anything Jumpluff, I totally agree with making and keeping favorites! I mean, why try stuff if you can't figure out what you like and eat it again-- and again-- and again. Favorite dishes, favorite eateries, favorite recipes.

I just came back from Tokyo today, where there are probably more ramen places than there are people in my home town-- with diverse genre from shops bringing the styles of areas throughout Japan. Generally speaking, you'd assume that just to survive in Tokyo, you'd have to be good (which is my general experience), but this last trip I decided I was too lazy to check the 口コミ to pick a place for dinner and just went into a random ramen shop. Ughhh.... bad decision... had 中華そば, but not only was everything over priced (tokyo priced...) but the soup was so bitter and terrible I think I could have done better myself with just hot water, a bottle of shoyu, and sesame oil. Plus, while I like my noodles aldente, my ramen was so under-cooked it felt like I was chewing on dough. Now, I like to douse my ramen in vinegar and generally find that I can eat any noodle dish and enjoy it with enough vinegar (I'd even made myself "ramen" with angel hair pasta, and aforementioned shoyu, oil and hot water in college and it would be fantastic with enough vinegar), but this was practically unsalvageable. Good thing I was really hungry, or would have been unable to finish this.

On the other hand, I've absolutely fallen in love with a local ramen chain in my wife's hometown out in the country side-- which sells its brand on the principles of "cheap", "hometown flavor," "classic ramen," "lots of modification possible," and does these things very well. I mean, Ramen 380 yen, and my favorite Wonton men (always have, always will-- in Japanese or Chinese styles) is 480 (Amay-za). Want extra noodles? 100 (can double the amount for 150), add my menma topping (50), Chinese flavored egg (80)-- plus great service, comfortable and homey atmosphere (what I expect from a comfortable Ramen place), and cute memorable marketing schemes, like their 20% "3 generation discount", which we always get if I go with my parents in law and daughter (who is still too small to even eat any of it!). But of course what matters is the food-- classic. To be honest, I love a bowl of classic shoyu style Ramen, the kind that has existed from old times-- more than all these new fancy broths and over-the-top styles that have become popular.

Now even in regards to classic Shoyu ramen, while it's true that I've had better in the form of certain old road stands and in small local (and old!) establishments my uncle in Kyoto has taken me too-- the Ramen at said chain ten is still a solid 8/10. The soup is clear and excellent, and portions are terrific, the noodles the perfect aldente, and they can meet any request (unlike many "true" classic shops). Plus, the taste manages to be "nostalgic" even to me-- having grown up 3000 miles away. All of this has given this local chain a warm place in my heart. While I know their business model probably wouldn't work outside the prefecture, I REALLY wish they could exist in Tokyo and in Hawaii.

Yes there are a lot of great ramen places in Japan, a huge diversity of styles, and 10/10 flavor places even in the same prefecture-- but for the price, the consistency of great service/flavor, convenience, and a taste and atmosphere that is truly comfortable and nostalgic (and really, I almost always prefer to eat Ramen as a comfort food anyway), it's truly a 5/5 in my book. And in my wife's book, and in her family's, and heck, probably everyone in the prefecture's. Which is why we end up going there 8/10 times when we think to eat Ramen. lol

Last edited:

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
People who like trying out new things will help other people out. I never understood how awesome trying out different foods was until I saw Andrew Zimmern eating bull testicles in Nicaragua, so I'll try to help other people try it out to open their minds to new things. I'm all about live and let live and I definitely respect your decision but live and let live =/= never communicating things to friends. If it were, a lot of people would miss out on a lot of great things, not just food.
Funny thing you mention that, I have been a big fan of Andrew Zimmern since bizarre foods first aired and upon moving to Colorado, bull testicles (aka Rocky Mountain Oysters) were among the first things I wanted to try. The ones I had weren't anything special though I am sure I could find some much better ones if I keep looking. However the point is they don't taste nearly as disgusting as they sound, yet for many people they are literally the type of thing you would only eat on a dare. It really makes me wonder how I can gobble them down without a second thought.

Anyway it should be obvious by now that I am a rather adventurous eater and love trying strange foods, yet I have trouble eating some foods that most other people really like. For example, I cannot stand most cheeses, particularly Parmesan which many people seem to love to sprinkle on everything.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The more plain the food the better. I can't stand strange flavors and spices - beef, potatoes and bread are simple and work.

_Tonks_

I'll eat anything, don't care what it is as long as it's good. I enjoy doing to all sorts of restaurants just to get their take on meals or what not. However, I think it's safe to say that Asian foods, mostly japanese foods, are my absolute favorite. I'm a massive sushi/fish fan.

Having grown up in three continents, I've got a fairy diverse palate, and try to appreciate any type of food someone throws at me. I love to try new things as well. That being said, my Indian cousins (who grew up in and never have left India) aren't in the same boat. When we gave them European cheese they didn't feel like it was better than Amul (shitty generic brand Indian) cheese. I think it has a lot to do with the way you grew up and what you were exposed to, but also with how much you like to experiment and try new things.

One more experience i had with this was when I went on an exchange trip to Germany in high school. I went with 6 other Indians, all of whom had left the country and been to various places around the world. We'd all go to the main shopping district near the school we went to for lunch. Three of us would go an try new food every day, exploring the culture and the like. The other 4 ate at KFC. Nearly every day. Even though we have KFCs all over the place in India. It was ridiculous.
On that same trip, another thing which influenced some people is what they wouldn't eat, rather than what they would. 2 people were vegetarian, and that eliminates some cuisines entirely. Travelling with my dad (another vegetarian) and my mom (Lactose-intolerant) has shown me that a lot of restaurants one might go to don't really have options for people with different diets - especially diets which aren't quite as common in the US (and thus restaurants don't accommodate for them as much).

Funny thing you mention that, I have been a big fan of Andrew Zimmern since bizarre foods first aired and upon moving to Colorado, bull testicles (aka Rocky Mountain Oysters) were among the first things I wanted to try. The ones I had weren't anything special though I am sure I could find some much better ones if I keep looking. However the point is they don't taste nearly as disgusting as they sound, yet for many people they are literally the type of thing you would only eat on a dare. It really makes me wonder how I can gobble them down without a second thought.

Anyway it should be obvious by now that I am a rather adventurous eater and love trying strange foods, yet I have trouble eating some foods that most other people really like. For example, I cannot stand most cheeses, particularly Parmesan which many people seem to love to sprinkle on everything.
Haha, I still haven't tried testicles because I haven't had the opportunity but I want to. My friend had asked me if I would try that recently because I have Bizarre Foods in my DVR. I just said probably. Just gotta make sure it's from a decent source tho... I don't want some old funky balls in my mouth.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Haha, I still haven't tried testicles because I haven't had the opportunity but I want to. My friend had asked me if I would try that recently because I have Bizarre Foods in my DVR. I just said probably. Just gotta make sure it's from a decent source tho... I don't want some old funky balls in my mouth.
Apparently in Hong Kong you can eat cow's penis.
But obviously, I have never tried or wanted to try...

I will try new food but I generally only stick to one or two kinds of cuisines. They're not really my "native" cuisines - just the usual stuff my parents cook for me or stuff I know how to cook. Yes, I get bored of the same old stuff, but eating out all the time is a pain, and you really need skill to be able to cook new stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)