How do you pick a version?

Ace

ᴅ ᴇ ᴀ ᴅ
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Red/Blue
Never played it but I would've most likely gone with Red.

Gold/Silver
I got Silver but really late, during the time of Emerald. I was disappointed that I couldn't trade from Silver to gen 3.

Ruby/Sapphire
Neither, I got Emerald.

FireRed/LeafGreen
I picked LeafGreen, only because I remember FireRed being out of stock.

Diamond/Pearl
I chose Diamond. More appealing name to me.

HeartGold/SoulSilver
I picked Soul Silver simply because of Lugia.

Black/White
Already had decided I was going to get the one with Zekrom, which was White.

Black 2/White
Missed these out but would have gone with W2 for sequel purposes.

X/Y
Chose X. 'Pokemon X' sounded pretty cool to me and Xerneas is great.

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
Omega Ruby. Even though I like Kyogre more OR just looks much cooler overall.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Picked Omega Ruby mostly because the female Magma grunts look so much cuter than their Aqua counterparts. I'm pathetic, aren't I?
I literally wanted omega ruby for that reason as well, but I got Alpha Sapphire because I played Sapphire originally and Kyogre > Groudon.

I chose the Pokemon that looked most appealing to me, but really in the end, I just bought both versions anyway.

Red/Blue-Charizard because I hate Blastoise with all of my being.
Gold/Silver-Lugia tho
Ruby/Sapphire-Ended up getting both and Emerald.
FireRed/LeafGreen-Ended up getting both.
Diamond/Pearl- Ended up getting all three games.
HeartGold/SoulSilver- It was only because of 2 Pokewalkers that I got both games.
Black/White-Both based off of my city, I'm totally getting both.
Black 2/White-Bought both as well.
X/Y- Broke as hell, don't want a bacon thing although it looks cool. Christmas Deer goes for the win.
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- I'm broke as hell, but I couldn't choose what to preorder. I bought both.

Gen 1 never played
Gen 2 see above
Gen 3 see above
Gen 4 bought both Diamond and Pearl but bough pearl first because of palkia
Gen 4 HG/SS preordered both
Gen 5 i liked reshiram better thus picked black
Gen 5 B2/W2 ended up with W2 because again reshiram
Gen 6 went with Y because i liked yveltal
Gen 6 oras we,t with AS because of kyogre > groudon

Red/Blue
I choose because Charizard was on the cover.

Gold/Silver
I choose Gold because Ho-Oh was on the cover.

Ruby/Saphir
Skipped

Diamond/Pearl
Skipped but I would have picked Diamond since Dialga is much cooler than Palkia

White/Black
I choose White because of Zekrom

White 2/Black 2
I choose White 2 because it is the sequel to White.

X/Y
I choose X because I wanted Mega Charizard X.

Omega Ruby/Alpha Saphir
I let somebody else decide because at that point I didn't care which game I played.

Picking a version has generally resulted from my preference towards the legendary Pokemon available in the game. Also, color has definitely affected my choices.

Generation 4: Diamond was my choice, since being a young boy I didn't see any value in choosing a "female" color in Pearl. Plus, Dialga always looked a badass, while Palkia's body stature was awkward.

Generation 5: I never played the first BW games, but I likely would have chosen Black since Reshiram was on the cover and it looked both adorable and menacing at the same time. Of course, the cover was also Black and stuck out to me more than the blank White. This was basically my reasoning for choosing Black 2, though Kyurem-B's color scheme on the box art also was a deciding factor.

Generation 6: I've always had a soft spot for Water types, and naturally Kyorge played a part in choosing Alpha Sapphire. It was also less altered and more pleasing to look at than Groudon. The underwater artwork interested me more than the grandesque roar and lava.

Side note: Nintendo Power had covered BW during its craze and mentioned how the differences between the two included one have a city and the other a forest. Who wants to have a little boring woodland when you can hang out in a giant city? Nintendo Power was awesome and brings back so much memories of sitting in the car reading with a smile on my face after removing the packaging.

At first i got red and blue together but only played blue cuz turtles

I got silver for lugia

Ruby for groudon

Diamond for dialga

White for zekrom and the way the game looked different. I liked the older looking areas like the 8th gym city

White 2 for continuity

Y for yveltal. Also rainbow deer is ugly

I did however own and play every game at one point or another at least twice over. It more or less came down to which game had cool looking mons on the front or had my favorites ( diamond having aron with the radar thing )

My brother and I get opposite versions. Fortunately we always seem to agree on which versions we're getting. I got Blue, Silver, Sapphire, Diamond, Soul Silver, White, X and Alpha Sapphire. My main decision factor was the color I preferred (which is blue if you didn't guess :P)

For myself, my own choice has usually been determined by what the people I know have purchased themselves.

A couple of friends introduced me to the series back in Gen 1. They had Red & Yellow, so I purchased Blue. When one of them later purchased Silver (the other held out for Crystal) I got Gold. For Gen 3, I got Ruby - and they both got Sapphire initially. For Gen 4, I grabbed Pearl, while one got Diamond (and the other held out for Platinum. I should note that up to this point I was also purchasing every single game in each generation, but started to get bored with the series by Platinum.

After that, I got Heart Gold - primarily due to the dead batteries in my Gen 3 games (Surprisingly I still take the Pokewalker about with me most places as it's a pretty accurate pedometer) - most recently followed by Omega Ruby. While I've completed the main story mode in both those games, I've not done all the post-game side-quests.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I pick the legendary I like.
Sometimes the version exclusive Pokemon, but mainly the cover legendary.

Gen1: I don't own any because I don't have a gameboy, played Blue on an emulator. Chose it because Blastoise is awesome.

Gen2:
Gold, simply because it had Mankey, played on an emulator.

Gen3:
Emerald, then Sapphire. Emerald for semi-animated sprites, Sapphire for Kyogre.

Gen4:
Platinum, I had the freedom not to choose Chimchar.

Gen5:
EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

Gen6:
Y because I wanted X (welp) and Alpha Sapphire because Kyogre.

EDIT: Fixed typos.

Last edited:
I usually pick based on whatever version mascot looks the coolest.

I do not have any games before Gen III. So I'll start there with:

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald: Emerald. Who doesn't want that epic Rayquaza on their team?

FireRed/LeafGreen: FireRed. I picked based off the version exclusives because I knew that both Charizard and Venusaur were obtainable in either game.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: Platinum. Giratina is awesome and after watching Giratina and the Sky Warrior that really sealed the deal for me.

HeartGold/SoulSilver: HeartGold. I love Ho-oh. One of the best legendaries or all time. Look how colorful it is!

Black/White: White. Really, I wanted Black because I like Reshiram much more than Zekrom. But I had a Wal-Mart gift card left over from the holidays, Wal-Mart had White but not Black, so if I wanted it then and there I had to accept White.

Black 2/White 2: Neither. I hear Black 2 and White 2 are much the same as Black and White except for a few minor differences, so I really don't need to buy the same game again.

X/Y: X. Although looking back on it I probably should have picked Y.

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: Omega Ruby. I liked Groudon at the time even tough I like Kyogre more now.

My very first one was Red Version, it was a christmas present and I think my parents bought that for me because i had a friend who taught me how to draw a simple dragon and I would doodle them everywhere. Also got Yellow later.
  • I bought both Gold and Silver.
  • Ruby was my gen3 game. I bought a red GBA-SP and Megaman BN Red Sun at the same time, I like to coordinate.
  • I picked LeafGreen cuz I thought Venusaur was baller. Insert regret for picking Red-everything.
  • I actually didn't own a DS until the DSi came out, and by then Platinum was already in stores, so that was my Sinnoh game :3
  • Here is where I started buying both copies at the same time and gave one to my kid brother. I played S.Silver cuz I liked the version exclusives better, and my bro thought Ho-oh was the shit.
  • Gen5 was a pain in the ass. I always play black during a game of chess/checkers, and I was pretty sure I was gonna buy Black for myself. I thought the tech theme was super cool, and it resonated with me. Bro threw a fit cuz he thought Reshiram was totally ballin'. I had a revenge-laugh when I got W2, just to fuck with 'em.

Don't even look at me like you can't guess my gen6 game ( •`_'•)
And I picked Omega Ruby |for the nostalgia of kicking nerds in ugly hoodies.|

Last edited:
I didn't buy any games before Gen V.

Gen V: White because no Black City=more Pokemon
Black 2 because I like White Kyurem :)

Gen VI: Y because I think that Yveltal looks badass (except for awkward beak) and his Oblivion Wing sounds cool
OR because Groudon = fudge yeah and because my friend has AS :P

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Gen 1: I didn't start here.
Gen 2: Crystal. I get to play a girl! I'm a girl! I refuse to play a boy!
Gen 3: Didn't have the money for RSE. Picked Leaf Green because I didn't like Charizard and I don't like the colour red.
Gen 4: Didn't play.
Gen 5: Black. I love Reshiram and Gothitelle
Gen 6: X. I love Xerneas. Also I don't like the colour red.

Gen 1 : I started with Blue ... Don't know why. Blue > Red ? :) and of course, yellow
Gen 2 : I think I have played Gold, Silver and Crystal, I loved all these games ... So many runs ...
Gen 3 : I made a break (High School etc) and I played Emerald and Fire Red !
Gen 4 : I don't remember Pearl or Diamond, only Platinum and Soul Silver !
Gen 5 : I've played everything : B, W, B2, W2 ! :)
Gen 6 : X then OR

The choice of the version is random ! Except ORAS because Primal Groudon > Primal Kyogre

Haven't owned any Gen I, II, or III games

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
All of my friends owned Platinum at the time

HeartGold/SoulSilver
I thought the Lugia figure looked better. Also, Ledian, my favorite Pokemon at the time, was a version exclusive.

Black/White
I didn't like Reshiram (It's currently tied with Articuno as my least favorite legendary), and I thought the version exclusives were better

Black 2/White 2
Not sure what made me choose this one

X/Y
I liked Xerneas' design
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
Primal Groudon is the best Pokemon in the franchise. Do I really need to explain?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)