PU Huntail

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Overview
########

Huntail has access to both Shell Smash and Baton Pass, giving it the fantastic niche of being able to pass +2 boosts to its teammates. However, it doesn't have too much going for it outside of Shell Smash and Baton Pass. It has a poor offensive movepool and cannot run both Sucker Punch and Shell Smash at the same time, as they are incompatible. Also, it is largely outclassed as an offensive Shell Smasher by Barbaracle and Carracosta. While Huntail doesn't get much outside of SmashPass, it has a good enough niche to deserve consideration on your team.

SmashPass
########
name: SmashPass
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Scald
move 4: Substitute
ability: Swift Swim
item: White Herb
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Shell Smash boosts Huntail's offensive stats by two stages while decreasing its defensive stats by one stage. Baton Pass allows Huntail to pass the boosts it has gained from Shell Smash to a teammate that can make better use of them. Scald is used in case Huntail has to attack the foe, such as if the foe is nearly KOed and Huntail can't safely Baton Pass out. Substitute is for avoiding status and easing Baton Passing, as it can allow a teammate to get in unscathed. Ice Beam can be used to 2HKO Grass-types such as Roselia and Serperior. Iron Defense is an option for boosting Huntail's Defense; however, it should only be used after Huntail has Shell Smashed, as the drops from Shell Smash will nullify the boosts from Iron Defense.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in HP and Speed lets Huntail take as many hits as possible while being as fast as possible. A Timid nature is used to further increase Huntail's Speed, and White Herb is used to remove the defense drops Huntail gets after a Shell Smash. Swift Swim doubles Huntail's Speed while in rain.

Usage Tips
========

Huntail should be brought in mid- or late-game to try to pass its boosts to a teammate; it should wait until checks and counters to the intended recipient are weakened. Huntail should be brought in on offensively weak Pokemon or Pokemon using resisted moves, such as Glaceon, Lumineon, Pelipper, Basculin locked into Aqua Jet, and Rapidash locked into Flare Blitz; however, be wary of any coverage moves these Pokemon may carry, such as Wild Charge on Rapidash. After coming in, Shell Smash on the switch and then pass out into a teammate that either can take a hit from the current Pokemon or resists the opposing Pokemon's STAB move. Use Substitute if you predict a status move or if you know the foe cannot break Huntail's Substitute. If running Iron Defense, use it after Shell Smash so that the drops will not affect Huntail's boosts. Use Substitute or Baton Pass out on a predicted Sucker Punch, as Sucker Punch will not hit unless you attack the foe, giving you a free turn. If the opposing Pokemon is at low health and is threatening to your intended recipient, then it is better to KO it and Baton Pass next turn.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with Stored Power, such as Glaceon, make for good teammates, as Stored Power increases in power with each boost. Pokemon that can benefit from the stat boosts, such as Bouffalant, Rotom-F, Kingler, Marowak, Tauros, and Ursaring, are also good teammates. Most Pokemon can benefit from the stat boost; however, not all of them have the bulk to take a hit after Huntail passes them a boost. Substitute can help with this; some Pokemon that definitely cannot take a hit but appreciate the boosts include Raichu, Frogadier, Simisage, Simisear, and Simipour. Pokemon that can set up dual screens to help Huntail set up Shell Smash and pass it while taking minimal damage are good teammates; examples include Serperior and Meowstic.

Other Options
########

Unfortunately, Sucker Punch cannot be used in conjunction with Shell Smash, so while it might seem like a good option on Huntail, it is not advised. An offensive physical variant of Huntail with Shell Smash can be used, but its main niche is being able to pass its boosts to teammates. Super Fang can be used as an attacking option; being able to cripple walls can be nice.

Checks & Counters
########

**Phazing / Haze**: Pokemon such as Avalugg, Bastiodon, and Grumpig can phaze Huntail out with Roar or Whirlwind, while Poliwrath and Throh can phaze Huntail out with Circle Throw. Pokemon that have the move Haze, such as Altaria and Garbodor can stop Huntail from boosting and passing its boosts. They can switch directly into Huntail when it uses Shell Smash and then either take minimal damage from Huntail's Scald and then phaze, or use Haze on the Baton Pass and nullify the boosts. Poliwrath gets a special mention, as it is immune to Huntail's STAB move and can phaze Huntail out with Circle Throw.

**Taunt**: Pokemon such as Serperior, Misdreavus, and Vigoroth can Taunt Huntail and prevent it from setting up; however, they have to be in before Huntail boosts, as it can easily Baton Pass out to a sweeper for free if they try to Taunt it after it has boosted.

**Priority Encore**: With Prankster, Volbeat can switch directly into Huntail while it tries to boost, Encore Huntail into Shell Smash, and then U-turn out into something to take advantage of Encore-locked Huntail.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Serperior, Gogoat, and Torterra can all threaten Huntail with a super effective move; however, because Huntail can just Baton Pass out into an appropriate sweeper, the Grass-type has to be in before Huntail boosts for it to be an effective check.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Electrode and Raichu can OHKO Huntail with a super effective move; however, they must do so before Huntail boosts, or else it will just Baton Pass out into an appropriate sweeper.

**Strong Offensive Presence**: Strong offensive Pokemon such as Poliwrath, Tauros, and Choice Band Torterra can all either KO Huntail or seriously injure the incoming Baton Pass recipient, making it an easy revenge kill for any priority attack.

Overview
########
  • Shell Smash + Baton Pass
  • Not much going for it other than Shell Smash + Baton Pass
  • Doesnt get access to both Sucker Punch and Shell Smash at the same time :<
  • Poor move pool outside of Baton Pass and Shell Smash
  • No competition from Gorebyss
  • While Huntail doesn't get much outside of Smash Pass, Smash Pass is a pretty good niche

Smash Pass
########
name: Smash Pass

Moves
========
  • Shell Smash for boosting
  • Baton Pass for passin
  • Scald STAB move for attacking and burning
  • Substitute to prevent status
  • Ice Beam can be used to 2HKO Grass-types
  • Iron Defense to increase defenses

Set Details
========
  • Max HP max speed to take hits and outspeed, Timid for more speed
  • White Herb to remove drops
  • Swift Swim for quickness in the rain

Usage Tips
========
  • Huntail should be brought in mid to late game to try and pass its boosts off to a teammate, it should wait until checks or counters for the intended passer are weakened.
  • Huntail should be brought in on a Pokemon who either has very little offensive capabilities or Huntail should resist their moves such as Basculin locked into Aqua Jet, Glaceon, Lumineon, Pelipper, and Rapidash locked into Flare Blitz among others; however, be wary of any coverage moves these Pokemon may cary such as Wild Charge Rapidash.
  • Shell Smash and then pass out into an appropriate teammate
  • Substitute predicting a status or if you know the opponent can not break your sub, Iron Defense after Shell Smashing so that the drops will not effect your boost
  • Substitute or Baton Pass out on a predicted Sucker Punch as it will not hit Huntail.

Team Options
========
  • Stored Power teammates such as Musharna (pls ban) or Glaceon maybe Swoobat
  • Pokemon that can benefit from the stat boosts such as Bouffalant, Rotom-F, Kingler, Marowak, Tauros, Ursaring (Guts needs speed), most Pokemon can benefit from the stat boost; however, not all of them have the bulk to take a hit after Huntail passes them a boost, Substitute can help with this; some Pokemon who can definitely not take a hit but appreciate the boosts include Raichu, Frogadier, and all of the Simi's.
  • Pokemon who can set up screens such as Serperior and Meowstic to help Huntail set up Shell Smash and pass it.

Other Options
########
  • Sucker Punch can not be used with Shell Smash
  • Offensive physical Shell Smash
  • Super Fang

Checks & Counters
########

**Phasing / Haze**: Pokemon such as Avalugg, Bastiodon, and Grumpig can phase out Huntail with Roar or Whirlwind and Pokemon that have the move Haze such as Altaria or Garbodor can stop Huntail from boosting and passing its boosts.

**Taunt**: Pokemon such as Serperior, Misdreavous, and Vigoroth can taunt Huntail and prevent it from setting up; however, they have to be in before Huntail boosts as it can easily Baton Pass out to a sweeper for free.

**Priority Encore**: Volbeat carries Encore and has the ability Prankster and can encore Huntail into Shell Smash and then U-turn out into something to take advantage of choice locked Huntail.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Serperior, Gogoat, and Torterra can all threaten out Huntail with a super effective move; however, Huntail can just Baton Pass out into an appropriate sweeper, the Grass-type has to be in before Huntail boosts for it to be an effective check.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Electrode or Raichu can OHKO Huntail with a super effective move; however, Huntail can just Baton Pass out into an appropriate sweeper, the Electric-type has to be in before Huntail boosts for it to be an effective check.

**Strong Offensive Presence**: Strong offensive Pokemon such as Poliwrath, Tauros, and Choice Band Torterra can all either KO Huntail or seriously injure the incoming Baton Pass recipient making it an easy revenge kill to any priority.

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Might as well go with Scald then, since the burn chance is significantly more useful, and without offensive investment its not like Waterfall will be missed that much.

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Might as well go with Scald then, since the burn chance is significantly more useful, and without offensive investment its not like Waterfall will be missed that much.
yeah that makes sense, huntail just has a bigger attacking stat which were my initial thoughts. Thoughts on what I currently have in the 4th move slot?

Ares

Ready for QC checks, after looking at Huntail it really does not have much going for it outside of smash pass and thats pretty much the focus of this analysis. For team options any suggestions would be good, I have some good ones but not really any good Special ones, esepcially if Mushy gets banned.

Ares

Lol forgot to change that when I moved from Waterfall to Scald.

The overview is a bit too negative, smashpass might not be the most significant niche but it's a pretty good one. Also, you could elaborate on why it's not good as a standalone sweeper (it's outclassed)

Iron defense seems kinda questionable to me, most of the time you only have time to set up ss and baton pass out, and not having sub is kinda meh. You could keep it in moves if you want but I wouldn't slash it.

Remove Stoutland from team options, you can't run both sand and smashpass at the same time and other normals are much better recipients.

Also illumise is 100% outclassed by Volbeat so there's no need to mention both of them.

QC 1/3

Add more receivers (raichu, FROGADIER, tauros blablabla)
Add more detail to usage tips such as pokemon to set up on, what to do against priority users blablabla
buff c&c
do that and tag me for a check :]

I'd definitely give a mention to Ice Beam in moves for the ability to 2HKO Roselia, Serperior, and any other Grass-type after a Shell Smash, and you definitely do not want them to use Sleep Powder or any utility move that makes it risky to use Baton Pass.

Ares

Added in more receivers, added in a line in Usage Tips about Sucker Punch and what to setup on, buffed C&C, and gave Ice Beam a mention in moves.

galbia

Ares

This is ready for the 3rd QC check, the overview seems a bit lacking to me although I'm not sure how to patch that up, I mentioned that it is going to get some boosts in ORAS not sure if that is "allowed".

This is ready for the 3rd QC check, the overview seems a bit lacking to me although I'm not sure how to patch that up, I mentioned that it is going to get some boosts in ORAS not sure if that is "allowed".
Generally, in analyses, if a certain move is needed or anything new happened with the Pokemon that is significant, people do revamps on the analysis. For that reason, I'd advise against adding anything of the sort in the overview. The boost in question is that it now gets Coil, so I do think that the analysis may need a revamp possibly. Remember, analyses are for the current metagame.

edit: Smash Pass is supposed to be SmashPass, it's a coined term iirc

Ares

Generally, in analyses, if a certain move is needed or anything new happened with the Pokemon that is significant, people do revamps on the analysis. For that reason, I'd advise against adding anything of the sort in the overview. The boost in question is that it now gets Coil, so I do think that the analysis may need a revamp possibly. Remember, analyses are for the current metagame.

edit: Smash Pass is supposed to be SmashPass, it's a coined term iirc
It also gets some other moves, including Sucker Punch being able to be used alongside Shell Smash.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck?

Overview
########

Huntail has access to both Shell Smash and Baton Pass, (comma) which gives it the fantastic niche of being able to pass +2 boosts to its teammates. However, (comma) it doesn't have too much going for it outside of Shell Smash and Baton Pass. It has a poor offensive movepool and does not get access to cannot run both Sucker Punch and Shell Smash, as they are incompatible. at the same time and Also, it is largely outclassed as an offensive Shell Smasher by Barbaracle and Carracosta. It gets a poor offensive outside of Shell Smash and Baton Pass. Now While Huntail doesn't get much outside of SmashPass, it is a good enough niche to deserve consideration on your team (or something like that, idk) SmashPass is a pretty good niche.

SmashPass
########

Moves
========

Shell Smash is a boosting move that boosts Huntail's offensive stats by two stages, while decreasing its defensive stats by one stage, its great in conjunction with White Herb which removes the defense drops. Baton Pass allows Huntail to pass the boosts it has creatgained from Shell Smash to a teammate to make better use of them. Scald is used in case Huntail has to attack the opponent for some reason, like such as if the opponent is nearly KOed and Huntail can't safely Baton Pass out. Substitute is for avoiding status and easing Baton Pass, (comma) as it can allow your a teammate to get in unscathed. Ice Beam can be used to 2HKO Grass-types such as Roselia and Serperior. Iron Defense is an option for boosting Huntail's Defenses, it can be useful against physical attackers; however, it should only be used after Huntail has Shell Smashed, as the drops from Shell Smash will nullify the boosts from Iron Defense.

Set Details
========

Maximum investement in HP EVs and Speed Evs to lets Huntail take as many hits as possible while being as fast as possible. A Timid nature is used to further increase the Huntail's Speed stat, and White Herb is used to remove the defense drops Huntail gets after a Shell Smash. Swift Swim is to doubles Huntail's Speed while in rain.

Usage Tips
========

Huntail should be brought in mid- to late-game (dashes) to try and pass its boosts off to a teammate; it should wait until checks or and counters for the intended recipient passer are weakened. Huntail should be brought in on a offensively weak Pokemon who that either have very little offensive capabilities or it should resist their moves or Pokemon using resisted moves, such as Basculin locked into Aqua Jet, Glaceon, Lumineon, Pelipper, Basculin locked into Aqua Jet, and Rapidash locked into Flare Blitz among others; however, be wary of any coverage moves these Pokemon may carry, such as Wild Charge on Rapidash. After coming in, Shell Smash on the switch and then pass out into a teammate that either can take a hit from the current Pokemon or who resists the opposing Pokemon's STAB move. Substitute if you predicting a status move or if you know the opponent cannot break Huntail's Substitute. your sub, If running Iron Defense, use it after Shell Smashing so that the drops will not affect your Huntail's boosts. Substitute or Baton Pass out on a predicted Sucker Punch, (comma) as Sucker Punch will not hit unless you attack the opponent and this gives you a free turn. If the opposing Pokemon is at low health and is threatening your intended recipient, (comma) then it is better to KO it and Baton Pass next turn attacking it, KOing, and then passing out next turn is better.

Team Options
========

Stored Power tTeammates with Stored Power, such as Musharna or Glaceon, make good teammates, as Stored Power increases in power with each boost. Pokemon that can benefit from the stat boosts such as Bouffalant, Rotom-F, Kingler, Marowak, Tauros, and Ursaring are also good teammates. Most Pokemon can benefit from the stat boost; however, not all of them have the bulk to take a hit after Huntail passes them a boost. (period) Substitute can help with this; some Pokemon who can that definitely cannot take a hit but appreciate the boosts include Raichu, Frogadier, Simisage, Simisear, and Simipour and all of the Simi's. Pokemon who that can set up both sets of dual screens such as Serperior and Meowstic to help Huntail set up Shell Smash and pass it while taking minimal damage are good teammates; examples include Serperior and Meowstic.

Other Options
########

Unfortunately, (comma) Sucker Punch cannot be used in conjunction with Shell Smash, so while it might seem like a good option on Huntail, (comma) it is not advised. An offensive physical variant of Huntail with Shell Smash can be used, but its main niche is being able to pass its boosts to teammates. Super Fang can be used as an attacking option; (semicolon) being able to cripple defensive walls can be nice.

Checks & Counters
########

**Phazing / Haze**: (change all instances of phase to phaze) Pokemon such as Avalugg, Bastiodon, and Grumpig can phaze out Huntail with Roar or Whirlwind, while Poliwrath and Throh can phaze Huntail out with Circle Throw., and Pokemon that have the move Haze such as Altaria or Garbodor can stop Huntail from boosting and passing its boosts. They can switch directly into Huntail while it attempts to Shell Smash and then either take minimal damage from Huntail's Scald, and then phaze, or use Haze on the switch and nullify the boosts. Poliwrath gets a special mention, as it is immune to Huntail's STAB move Water-type attack and can phaze Huntail out with Circle Throw.

**Taunt**: Pokemon such as Serperior, Misdreavous, and Vigoroth can Taunt Huntail and prevent it from setting up; however, they have to be in before Huntail boosts, as it can easily Baton Pass out to a sweeper for free if they try to Taunt it after it has boosted.

**Priority Encore**: With Prankster, Volbeat carries Encore and has the ability Prankster and can switch directly into Huntail while it tries to boost, Encore Huntail into Shell Smash, and then U-turn out into something to take advantage of choice Encore-locked Huntail. Volbeat can switch directly into Huntail while it tries to boost and then Encore on the following turn and U-turn out on your switch, or as you stay in, into a Pokemon to take advantage of the situation.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Serperior, Gogoat, and Torterra can all threaten out Huntail with a super effective move; however, because Huntail can just Baton Pass out into an appropriate sweeper, the Grass-type has to be in before Huntail boosts for it to be an effective check.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Electrode or Raichu can OHKO Huntail with a super effective move; however, they must do so before Huntail boosts, or else it will Huntail can just Baton Pass out into an appropriate sweeper, the Electric-type has to be in before Huntail boosts for it to be an effective check. (rephrased this part because it was the same as the Grass-types section)

**Strong Offensive Presence**: Strong offensive Pokemon such as Poliwrath, Tauros, and Choice Band Torterra can all either KO Huntail or seriously injure the incoming Baton Pass recipient, (comma) making it an easy revenge kill to for any priority attack.

Last edited:

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
stamping above checks with some corrections:
Overview:
While Huntail doesn't get much outside of SmashPass, it has a good enough niche to deserve consideration on your team SmashPass is a pretty good niche.
SmashPass:
Scald is used in case Huntail has to attack the opponent for some reason foe, like such as if when the opponent foe is nearly KOed and Huntail can't safely Baton Pass out.
Usage Tips:
Huntail should be brought in mid- to late-game (dashes) to try and to pass its boosts off to a teammate; it should wait until checks orand counters for the intended recipientpasser are weakened.

Use Substitute if you predicting a status move or if you know the foe cannot break Huntail's Substitute.your sub,If running Iron Defense, use it after Shell Smashing so that the drops will not affect yourHuntail's boosts. Substitute or Baton Pass out on a predicted Sucker Punch,(comma) as Sucker Punch will not hit unless you attack the opponent foe, and this gives giving you a free turn. If the opposing Pokemon is at low health and is threatening your intended recipient,(comma) then it is better to KO it and Baton Pass next turn attacking it, KOing, and then passing out next turn is better.
Team Options:
Stored Power tTeammates with Stored Power, such as Musharna or Glaceon, make for good teammates, as Stored Power increases in power with each boost.

implement P Squared's check along with my changes
GP 1/2

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
"Maximum iinvestmentin HP and Speed lets Huntail take as many hits as possible while being as fast as possible."
change "iinvestmentin" to "investment in"; you implemented it wrongly e.e

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Huntail has access to both Shell Smash and Baton Pass, which gives giving it the fantastic niche of being able to pass +2 boosts to its teammates. However, it doesn't have too much going for it outside of Shell Smash and Baton Pass. It has a poor offensive movepool and cannot (one word) run both Sucker Punch and Shell Smash at the same time, as they are incompatible. Also, it is largely outclassed as an offensive Shell Smasher by Barbaracle and Carracosta. While Huntail doesn't get much outside of SmashPass, it has a good enough niche to deserve consideration on your team.

SmashPass
########

Moves
========

Shell Smash boosts Huntail's offensive stats by two stages while decreasing its defensive stats by one stage. Baton Pass allows Huntail to pass the boosts it has gained from Shell Smash to a teammate to that can make better use of them. Scald is used in case Huntail has to attack the foe, such as if when the foe is nearly KOed and Huntail can't safely Baton Pass out. Substitute is for avoiding status and easing Baton Passing, as it can allow a teammate to get in unscathed. Ice Beam can be used to 2HKO Grass-types such as Roselia and Serperior. Iron Defense is an option for boosting Huntail's Defense; however, it should only be used after Huntail has Shell Smashed, (comma) as the drops from Shell Smash will nullify the boosts from Iron Defense.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in HP and Speed lets Huntail take as many hits as possible while being as fast as possible. A Timid nature is used to further increase Huntail's Speed, and White Herb is used to remove the defense drops Huntail gets after a Shell Smash. Swift Swim doubles Huntail's Speed while in rain.

Usage Tips
========

Huntail should be brought in mid- to or late-game to try to pass its boosts off to a teammate; it should wait until checks and counters for to the intended recipient are weakened. Huntail should be brought in on offensively weak Pokemon or Pokemon using resisted moves, such as Glaceon, Lumineon, Pelipper, Basculin locked into Aqua Jet, and Rapidash locked into Flare Blitz; however, be wary of any coverage moves these Pokemon may carry, (comma) such as Wild Charge on Rapidash. After coming in, Shell Smash on the switch and then pass out into a teammate that either can take a hit from the current Pokemon or resists the opposing Pokemon's STAB move. Use Substitute if you predict a status move or if you know the foe cannot break Huntail's Substitute. If running Iron Defense, use it after Shell Smash so that the drops will not affect Huntail's boosts. Use Substitute or Baton Pass out on a predicted Sucker Punch, as Sucker Punch will not hit unless you attack the foe, giving you a free turn. If the opposing Pokemon is at low health and is threatening to your intended recipient, then it is better to KO it and Baton Pass next turn.

Team Options
========

Teammates with Stored Power, such as Musharna or Glaceon, make for good teammates, (comma) as Stored Power increases in power with each boost. Pokemon that can benefit from the stat boosts, (comma) such as Bouffalant, Rotom-F, Kingler, Marowak, Tauros, and Ursaring, (comma) are also good teammates. Most Pokemon can benefit from the stat boost; however, not all of them have the bulk to take a hit after Huntail passes them a boost. Substitute can help with this; some Pokemon that definitely cannot take a hit but appreciate the boosts include Raichu, Frogadier, Simisage, Simisear, and Simipour. Pokemon that can set up dual screens to help Huntail set up Shell Smash and pass it while taking minimal damage are good teammates; examples include Serperior and Meowstic.

Other Options
########

Unfortunately, Sucker Punch cannot be used in conjunction with Shell Smash, so while it might seem like a good option on Huntail, it is not advised. An offensive physical variant of Huntail with Shell Smash can be used, but its main niche is being able to pass its boosts to teammates. Super Fang can be used as an attacking option; being able to cripple defensive walls (by definition, all walls are defensive) can be nice.

Checks & Counters
########

**Phazing / Haze**: Pokemon such as Avalugg, Bastiodon, and Grumpig can phaze Huntail out Huntail with Roar or Whirlwind, while Poliwrath and Throh can phaze Huntail out with Circle Throw. Pokemon that have the move Haze, (comma) such as Altaria or and Garbodor, (comma) can stop Huntail from boosting and passing its boosts. They can switch directly into Huntail while when it attempts to use Shell Smash and then either take minimal damage from Huntail's Scald and then phaze, or use Haze on the switch Baton Pass and nullify the boosts. Poliwrath gets a special mention, as it is immune to Huntail's STAB move and can phaze Huntail out with Circle Throw.

**Taunt**: Pokemon such as Serperior, Misdreavus, and Vigoroth can Taunt Huntail and prevent it from setting up; however, they have to be in before Huntail boosts, as it can easily Baton Pass out to a sweeper for free if they try to Taunt it after it has boosted.

**Priority Encore**: With Prankster, Volbeat can switch directly into Huntail while it tries to boost, Encore Huntail into Shell Smash, and then U-turn out into something to take advantage of Encore-locked Huntail.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Serperior, Gogoat, and Torterra can all threaten Huntail with a super effective move; however, because Huntail can just Baton Pass out into an appropriate sweeper, the Grass-type has to be in before Huntail boosts for it to be an effective check.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Electrode or and Raichu can OHKO Huntail with a super effective move; however, they must do so before Huntail boosts, or else it will just Baton Pass out into an appropriate sweeper.

**Strong Offensive Presence**: Strong offensive Pokemon such as Poliwrath, Tauros, and Choice Band Torterra can all either KO Huntail or seriously injure the incoming Baton Pass recipient, making it an easy revenge kill for any priority attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)