Hydreigon (QC 0/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]
  • It has an extremely powerful STAB attack in Draco Meteor that can heavily dent, if not outright KO, many opposing Pokemon.
  • Its coverage allows it to check a variety of Pokemon that could otherwise wall it.
  • Access to Tailwind allows Hydreigon to support its team and itself.
  • Hydreigon has decent natural bulk that allows it to tank several neutral and resisted attacks before being KOed.
  • Its immunities to the common Ground- and Psychic-type attacks gives Hydreigon many opportunities to switch in. It is also good for scaring your opponent into not choice locking into moves of those types, as it often gives Hydreigon a free attack.
  • The Psychic-type immunity is especially helpful because it can force your opponent to not lock Choice Scarf Tapu Lele into Psychic.
  • Dragon-Type gives Hydreigon many resistances to common attacking types.
  • However, its Dark- and Dragon-type combination leaves it extremely vulnerable to the common Fairy-type attacks, such as Tapu Lele's Moonblast, and Tapu Koko's Dazzling Gleam.
  • It's in a middling speed tier because it's too fast for Trick Room, but needs support from either Tailwind or a Choice Scarf to make the most of its speed.
  • It's primary STAB attack forces it to switch out often.
[SET]
name: Life Orb Attacker
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Tailwind / Earth Power / Fire Blast
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Draco Meteor
    • Draco Meteor is a powerful STAB attack that can OHKO many Pokemon in the tier. It has good neutral coverage against many common Pokemon, only being resisted by Steel-types and ineffective against Fairy-types.
  • Dark Pulse
    • Dark Pulse is a strong secondary STAB attack that deals solid damage if unresisted, as well as being good for chip damage and for picking off weakened foes. It does not lower Special Attack after use, so it does not force Hydreigon to immediately switch.
  • Tailwind
    • Allows Hydreigon to outspeed and OHKO fast, threatening Pokemon that it would otherwise lose to, such as Mega-Salamence and Shaymin-Sky. It is a good form of speed control for the rest of the team as well, and it can allow Hydreigon's teammates to deal with many of its checks much more easily.
  • Earth Power
    • Earth Power hits grounded Steel-types, most notably Heatran, for super effective damage. It has perfect accuracy, but its lack in power can cause Hydreigon to miss some OHKOes or 2HKOes at times..
  • Fire Blast
    • At the cost of hitting Heatran, Fire Blast hits all other Steel-types, as well as bulky Grass-types, for super effective damage. Notable threats in this category are Celesteela, which is also immune to Earth Power, Ferrothorn, and Tapu Bulu, which would otherwise wall Hydreigon. Fire Blast is stronger than Earth Power, but the inaccuracy can lead to losses in a pinch.
  • Protect
    • Protect allows Hydreigon to avoid taking damage for a turn. It lets Hydreigon's partner handle an opposing Pokemon that could otherwise KO it. Protect is also useful for scouting out the opponent's Pokemon for strong unexpected coverage, such as Ice- or Fighting-type attacks.
Set Details
========
  • 252 EVs in Special Attack and Speed allows Hydreigon to hit as hard and as fast as possible.
  • A Timid nature is used to maximize Hydreigon's speed stat, widening its window to fire off powerful Draco Meteors that can KO opponents before they move.
  • It also lets Hydreigon outspeed neutral natured base 100s, such as Charizard and Kangaskhan.
  • Life Orb is the item of choice because it boosts the power of Hydreigon's attacks without forcing a switch every time Hydreigon needs to use a different move.
Usage Tips
========
  • If a Draco Meteor does more than 66% damage to its target, use it again. Even after the Special Attack drop, it will KO.
  • Bulky teams struggle against Hydreigon due to its own power and bulk. They have trouble taking it down without focusing on it while it can easily use Draco Meteor to deal massive damage in return.
  • Trick Room teams struggle against Hydreigon because of its power, and because many common Trick Room setters are weak to Dark Pulse.
  • Despite its natural bulk, only switch it in on weak, resisted hits. Between Life Orb recoil and chip damage, Hydreigon will be worn down quickly.
  • Hydreigon makes an excellent pivot due to its Ground- and Psychic-type immunities. It can switch into common Choice Scarf users such as Landorous-T or Tapu Lele locked into Earthquake or Psychic, respectively. A healthy Hydreigon can even scare your opponent into not using those moves in fear of giving Hydreigon a free switch in.
Team Options
========
  • Offensive Steel-type beat the very common Fairy-types in the tier that would otherwise beat Hydreigon.
  • Ghost-, Psychic-, and Fairy-types help alleviate Hydreigon's Fighting-type weakness.
  • Aegislash makes an excellence ally for Hydreigon. They have near flawless offensive and defensive synergy. Aegislash's Wide Guard supports Hydreigon through blocking spread moves, such as Dazzling Gleam and Rock Slide. Hydreigon, in return, can use its high power to weaken foes that otherwise could deal with Aegislash.
  • Redirectors, such as Jirachi, can help Hydreigon get a free turn or switch-in.
  • Priority and Fake Out support can help Hydreigon net KOes that it would narrowly miss otherwise.
  • Speed control, such as Tailwind and Icy Wind, are good to help Hydreigon get checks that rely on their speed to beat it.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Roost can be used in the coverage slot to restore Hydreigon's HP and augment its natural bulk.
  • A Choice Scarf can be used to boost Hydreigon's speed without support to help it beat threats such as Mega-Salamence. If this route is chosen, use both coverage moves, replacing Protect.
  • Thunder Wave can be run in the coverage slot to cripple opposing Pokemon for the remainder of the match. This is especially strong against Pokemon that rely on their speed to be effective, such as Shaymin-Sky, Salamence, and Tapu Lele.
  • Flash Cannon is a coverage option to hit the Fairy-types that would otherwise laugh at whatever Hydreigon can do. This role, however, is usually better left to another team member.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-type Pokemon**:
  • Fairy-type attacks deal 4x normal damage against Hydreigon, and Pokemon of that type are immune to it's strongest attack.
  • Tapu Lele is a powerful Fairy-type attacker whose Moonblast can easily OHKO Hydreigon, and Hydreigon cannot do much in return. Choice Scarf variants are even scarier as they move first, negating any chance Hydreigon has to even deal damage.
  • Tapu Koko is another Fairy-type attacker that resists both of Hydreigon's STABs and can OHKO with Dazzling Gleam. Hydreigon's Earth Power can OHKO it, but Hydreigon is outsped and gets taken out first.
  • Diancie is a strong Trick Room setter that is safe from Hydreigon, outside of Earth Power. Diancie does not take much damage from most of Hydreigon's attacks, and can set up Trick Room in return. Its Moonblast is an OHKO.
**Dragon-type Pokemon**:
  • Although Hydreigon's primary STAB OHKOes nearly all Dragon-types in the tier, it gets KOed easily in return.
  • Due to its middling speed tier, most opposing Dragon-types, such as Salamence, both Mega- and non Mega-, will move first to get the KO.
**Faster Pokemon**:
  • Hydreigon relies on moving first to fire off its powerful Draco Meteors. Any Pokemon that moves before it has a chance to stop it.
  • Despite its natural bulk, repeated chip damage, such as Shaymin-Sky's Air Slash or Landorous-Therean's Rock Slide, can and will wear Hydreigon down over the course of the match, especially since Hydreigon typically uses a Life Orb.
  • Opposing speed control such as Thunder Wave, Tailwind, and Icy Wind expands on the list of Pokemon that threaten Hydreigon.
-----------------

Last edited:
Still a major work in progress, but is this a good way of starting my analysis on the moves? I try to explain the coverage and usage of the moves without going too in-depth.

Should I add a scarf set? It wasn't on the ORAS analysis, but I think it is worth it this gen. It lets Hydreigon get supprise KOs with Draco, and use both coverage moves in one set. I think it's better now with the return of faster threats like Shaymin-Sky and Mega-Salamence. Thoughts?

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Taken from GP's requests for skeletons to be uploaded, they want each bullet point to be a complete sentence. The information that you have in your bullet points is good, but it could use some reorganization.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Roost is nice on Hydreigon to keep it around longer to nuke stuff after fairies are weakened / eliminated. Thunder Wave deserves an OO imo.

Updated the OP. I added in the overview and set details. I'll finish the rest of the main set stuff tomorrow. Did I miss anything in the overview? I think I forgot something, but I'm not sure what it is.

Tree - Sorry if the sentences were too wordy, I tried to make them flow into each other a bit for when I do the write-up. If it's getting in the way of reading for QC, I can definitely write them as stand alone sentences which may be easier for now. The order of the points in the Overview is by no means final, I just wrote them down as I thought of them. They're only separated by positives and negatives.

Pocket - We had a specific bulky set in XY with Roost on it. If you think it's that important, should it go on the main set or as it's own? Otherwise, I'll probably just mention it in OO.

Updated the OP again. I still haven't gone back to reorganize anything yet, but all the info for the main set is there. Are those checks and counters good? I plan on expanding on them next time I work on this. Did I miss any? We had Fighting-types listed last generation, but I haven't seen many run so far in SM due to the prevalence of Fairy- and Psychic-types. Should I put them there anyway?

I still don't know. Should I put down a Bulky Attacker and Choice Scarf set? I've never used the former myself, although it was on the XY analysis, but I've had success with he latter. Thoughts?

Updated the OP again. I still haven't gone back to reorganize anything yet, but all the info for the main set is there. Are those checks and counters good? I plan on expanding on them next time I work on this. Did I miss any? We had Fighting-types listed last generation, but I haven't seen many run so far in SM due to the prevalence of Fairy- and Psychic-types. Should I put them there anyway?

I still don't know. Should I put down a Bulky Attacker and Choice Scarf set? I've never used the former myself, although it was on the XY analysis, but I've had success with he latter. Thoughts?
Scarf seems ok, but I wouldn't do bulky, as you really need the speed to outspeed non scarf tapu lele, and things that are creeping that benchmark

Updated the OP yet again.

I added details to the Checks and Counters and added Flash Cannon to OO.

Talkingtree, how do you want me to reorganize it? I'm definitely going to change the order of the points in the Overview and Team Options before I move it to QC, but I'm not sure where else you want me to do it. I don't need a list of specific points, just tell me what other areas need cleaning up and I'll do it.

Since Bulky Attacker and Choice Scarf aren't getting their own sets, am I missing anything else major? Can I move this to QC after I do the reorganizing?

Double post :p

I changed the order of points in the overview. For the pros, I put all of the offensive stuff together, and all of the defensive stuff together. The cons are in the opposite order, but I think it flows better going Offense => defense => defense => offense.

I think this is ready for QC.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I do believe this is the first check I've ever done without being on the QC team!

[Everywhere]
  • Tail Wind -> Tailwind
[Overview]
  • "Its coverage allows it to check a variety of Pokemon that could otherwise wall it." Don't really like this sentence, since you would repeat yourself on specifics in the set details. If you want it kept, you need to list a few examples.
  • "Good bulk" -> "decent bulk" or "decent natural bulk", as it honestly just isn't good.
  • "The combination of Levitate and Dark-type grants Hydreigon immunity to the very common Ground- and Psychic-type attacks." I feel like this would be better as two points, especially so you could point out that Dark-typing is crucial to pressure scarf Lele into not locking Psychic
  • "leaves it extremely vulnerable to the common Fairy-type attacks." should be changed to "leaves it extremely vulnerable to Fairy-types, such as x and x", as it isn't just weak to the attacks.
[Set]
  • Good set, one suggestion from me would be to slash Tailwind before EP. I'd like insight on this, should a QC member choose to stamp this check.
[Moves]
  • One bullet point per move should suffice, but your descriptions are alright. Just combine the two points into one for each move description.
  • "deals solid damage when unresisted and is good for picking off weakened foes" -> "deals solid damage if unresisted, as well as good chip damage and picking off weakened foes"
  • "Fire Blast hits all other Steel-types". Definitely mention Celesteela here, and probably Ferrothorn as well. Bulu should be mentioned as a Grass-type example, considering it walls Hydreigon's dual STAB
  • "such as Ice-type attacks." -> "such as Ice- or Fire-type coverage. Also change "surprise coverage" to "unexpected coverage" in that sentence.
[Set Details]
  • "neutral natured base 100s, such as bulky Charizard and Kangaskhan." Scratch "bulky"; they can easily run max speed modest / adamant.
  • otherwise good
[Usage Tips]
  • This is really good, although I'd like an added comment on how good Hydreigon is to pivot with due to its ground and psychic immunities.
[Team options]
  • "Aegislash is especially good in this generation because it can beat strong Fairy-type Pokemon such as Tapu Lele in a one-on-one". Delete this or rephrase it and combine it with the above bullet point.
  • "Redirectors, such as Jirachi, can help Hydreigon get a free switch-in." "free turn", as this obviously also accounts for when you already are in.
[OO]
  • "Thunder Wave can be run in the coverage slot to cripple opposing pokemon for the remainder of the match." Add examples, probably best to mention Skymin and Tapu Lele.
  • "Despite its good bulk, repeated weaker hits, such as...". Use decent or decent natural according to your above-mentioned correction, and change "weaker hits" to "chip damage"
good stuff mate

Thank you, Laga :]

I slashed Tailwind first and changed the order in the [MOVES] section to reflect this. When you said "such as Ice- or Fire-type coverage," did you mean Fighting-type? Hydreigon has nothing to fear from Fire-type coverage, especially since burns don't really affect it. Otherwise, I added all of your points.

I took out a lot of the obvious stuff (did you know levitate makes you immune to Ground?), expanded on other things, and rephrased some stuff to make it better.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
You've put the effort into this and so I wanted to give you a chance to whip this analysis into shape but it's just not there. A lot of it reads like you're trying to reach a word count requirement and still there are many points missing, even after Laga's fairly extensive check. Gonna go ahead and lock/reassign this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)