Hyper Offense+1

I've been using this a bit on PO, and I'm about 20-7, I don't know if that's good or if it's just average. I'm open for any and all suggestions. I do want to keep the team hyper offensive. I'm willing to add another tank, but I want it to be a take, not a wall. Without further ado...

Latios (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Sp Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- HP Fire

Latios is kind of the jack of all trades power hitter. With the ever abundant weather teams in OU, I decided to take advantage of the boost with Surf and HP Fire. Thunderbolt also helps with the rain teams, considering a lot of the pokémon are water. HP Fire is also great for dealing with Scizor.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake (debating putting either Sacred Sword or Quick Attack)
- X-Scissor

Every team needs a scarfer. Not much needs to be said about Terrakion. His set never really differs, it's just the item really.

Infernape (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot

I needed a special sweeper, and it seemed like a fire type would fit perfectly. Not many people are expecting a Nasty Plot Infernape, I've been noticing. Focus Sash pretty much guarantees at least one Nasty Plot. After two NP's the game is pretty much over. The only thing to really mess up this set are Dragon types. A +2 Vacuum Wave or Flamethrower does seem to hurt them a lot though. Unfortunately, Infernape does feel like the weak link on my team.

Jolteon (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- HP Ice

Probably the most common Jolteon set, and for good reason. This gets the job done. Nothing wants to take any hits from this thing. This isn't quite a sweeper, but it takes down the health of quite a few pokémon making room for a sweep. This is basically the set up man.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 176 HP / 128 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

I needed a bulkier pokémon and a physical sweeper, and this jut seemed to fit perfect. Taunt assures that I'll get to stick around and that I won't get hit with a Twave, WoW, or Toxic. I've tried both Bounce and Stone Edge and both do a fairly good job, but it seems like Bounce is just better for switch ins. It is easy to telegraph, however.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 100 Def / 104 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Every team needs at least one wall, and Ferrothorn is arguably the best in the game. I'm sure that there's a better EV spread for this, but this specific one gave me even defenses at 323 each. I still can't tell if Rocky Helmet does enough damage, considering I have no other form of HP regen aside from Leech Seed. The moveset is pretty standard as far as Ferrothorn goes.

Threat list:

So far in all my dealings, only Skarm/Bliss has given me problems. Infernape can help with that considering its STAB is super effective to both, but if the have up Rocks, it's hard getting Infernape in safely. Other than that I can't think of any other problems. If you can feel free to tell me.

Im not really an offensive person, but your team is good indeed ^^. Quick attack on a scarfer is not neccesary, and adamant is prefered on terrakion ^^

But why bounce on gyarados? Bounce is a charge move, easy to switch in on. If you have to take care of grass types (I assume thats why you use bounce), then stick on ice fang. But besides that, stone edge or earthquake is the preferred choice. Return is also a good choice for Gyara ^^

As for the skarmbliss combo, try a mix ape:

Infernape (M) @ Life orb
EVs: 32 atk / 224 Sp Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spe, -Sdef)
- fire blast
- hidden power [Ice]
- Vacuum Wave
- Close combat

Thunder punch can be used instead of Hp ice to take care of gyarados, who otherwise wallz this thing, but hp ice is preferred for all the other walls, like gliscor, and dragons like Dnite and mence, and else scarfers and threats like landorus.

Ide recommend this set for nape, it covers the main physical walls it needs too. Aswell as breaking through the special walls

Infernape @ Life orb
Trait:Blaze
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Sp Atk
Naive Nature (+Spe, -Sdef)
- Overheat
- Close combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Hi! Please don't listen to the advice about running Adamant on Scarf Terrakion. Running Jolly on Terrakion will allow you to outspeed several key threats such as QD Volcarona and DD Mence (or other 100 base Spe Scarfers). I fail to see how SkarmBliss is giving you any trouble seeing as that Gyarados runs Taunt. Unless your opponent's Blissey runs Thunderbolt, Gyara handles that core pretty well. Nevertheless, running a mixed set on Infernape would serve your purposes better if you want to preserve Gyarados later on in the match. Also, Leftovers > Rocky Helmet on Ferrothorn. GL with your team.

Yeah, definitely go with Jolly Terrakion; it sort of ruins the point of being base 108 Speed if your nature puts you below positive natured base 100s.

I do also recommend switching the Infernape to mixed as it functions better as a wallbreaker. I also recommend changing the item to a Life Orb from a Sash; It'll just be broken by entry hazards most of the time anyway, Infernape is already not really going to take hits, and it really appreciates the extra power.

I'd also recommend keeping Bounce on Gyara. It's true that it allows for some playing around, but the added strength is usually worth it when you don't have a lot of moveslots for coverage.

So out of everything said, in all honesty, none of the advice really helps. You guys are telling me to use Infernape as a wall breaker, and from the five games that I played with it, the special sweeper set was better, by far. I'm not really sure why somebody would run adamant on a scarfer. You kind of risk the chance of not outspeeding everything that way. HP Ice on Infernape has helped, but then Jellicent completely walls it. I've found that Jellicent is harder for my team to take out that dragon type, which is really all I've found HP Ice useful for. I appreciate the feedback.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Loopholbrook

First off, pretty strong offensive team you have here. Now looking at your team, I feel that it is weak to a common threat to offensive teams, Trick Room Reuniclus. Trick Room Reuniclus can turn the speed of your Pokemon against you when setting up a TR and blasting through your team with powerful LO boosted attacks. In order to check this threat, I recommend replacing Infernape with a Bulky Swords Dance Scizor with a moveset of Swords Dance / Bullet Punch / Roost / Bug Bite. Scizor is bulky enough to take a Focus Blast granted that it hits and then retaliate with a combination of Bug Bite/Bullet Punch to take out Reuniclus. Originally, I was thinking of suggesting a standard Choice Band Scizor, but after reading your comment on how you wanted a tank, Bulky SD Scizor seemed more ideal. Bulky SD Scizor can easily tank non-Fire type hits with its great bulk and access to Roost while setting up SDs in order to sweep. Although not packing as much initial firepower as CB Scizor, he is still able to come in and revenge threats such as Rock Polish Terrakion who could prove threatening with Bullet Punch. This change won’t make you much weaker to Skarmory as you already have Expert Belt Latios and Specs Jolteon who easily handle the steel bird, and Scizor gives you an additional way to beat Blissey.

Now onto some more minor changes. I would definitely change Latios’ nature from Modest to Timid. This allows you to at least speed tie with opposing Lati@s with HP Fire and lets you outspeed the multitude of non-Scarfed Pokemon at base 108 and 100 speed such as Terrakion, Virizion, and Mew. Next, I would also change Jolteon’s nature from Modest to Timid. This allows you to outspeed Starmie and Dragon Dance at +1, and speed tie with other Timid Jolteons. Usually with offensive Pokemon, it is suggested that you use a speed boosting nature to let you get the first hit on the defending pokemon as you are pretty frail yourself.

I hope I helped and good luck with the team!

Set:

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

tl;dr

Nasty Plot Infernape ----> Bulky Swords Dance Scizor
Modest Latios ----> Timid
Modest Jolteon ----> Timid

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
First Thoughts:

1. Gyarados and no spinner?
2. Jolteon + Gyarados without rain?
3. No explanation in teambuilding

Latios (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- HP Fire

Latios is kind of the jack of all trades power hitter. With the ever abundant weather teams in OU, I decided to take advantage of the boost with Surf and HP Fire. Thunderbolt also helps with the rain teams, considering a lot of the pokémon are water. HP Fire is also great for dealing with Scizor.

Run Timid. Its needed to reach that speed tier of 130s. I would run recover in steed of Thunderbolt, yes it ruins your bluff, but it should only be used after your opponent knows your not choiced anyways. T-Bolt isn't hitting anything surf / hp fire / draco can't anyways, and yu have Jolteon.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake (debating putting either Sacred Sword or Quick Attack)
- X-Scissor

Every team needs a scarfer. Not much needs to be said about Terrakion. His set never really differs, it's just the item really.

I don't agree, why do you need the speed? You have Jolteon and Latios, and Terrakion is naturally fast so I would use a banded set as it dishes out more damgae, or SubSD set as they both funciton like this one.

Infernape (F) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot

I needed a special sweeper, and it seemed like a fire type would fit perfectly. Not many people are expecting a Nasty Plot Infernape, I've been noticing. Focus Sash pretty much guarantees at least one Nasty Plot. After two NP's the game is pretty much over. The only thing to really mess up this set are Dragon types. A +2 Vacuum Wave or Flamethrower does seem to hurt them a lot though. Unfortunately, Infernape does feel like the weak link on my team.

You said it yourself, weakest link of the team. replace this Pokemon with Politoed (offensive ofc) or Offensive Balloon Tran (Flame Charge > SR.) I perfer Toed since this team loves rain, but thats just me.

Jolteon (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- HP Ice

Probably the most common Jolteon set, and for good reason. This gets the job done. Nothing wants to take any hits from this thing. This isn't quite a sweeper, but it takes down the health of quite a few pokémon making room for a sweep. This is basically the set up man.

I would LO over Choice Specs, and free up the useless Shadow Ball (which literally hits nothing) for exchange of a substitute. Sub allows you to escape status, and sometimes even function better as a sweeper. You might want to test out SubBP set, but eh.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 176 HP / 128 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

I needed a bulkier pokémon and a physical sweeper, and this jut seemed to fit perfect. Taunt assures that I'll get to stick around and that I won't get hit with a Twave, WoW, or Toxic. I've tried both Bounce and Stone Edge and both do a fairly good job, but it seems like Bounce is just better for switch ins. It is easy to telegraph, however.

I would run fully offensive Gyara, max speed and attack, adamant, with DD / Waterfall / EQ / Substitute. Sub allows it to escape T-Wave, and Volt-Switch.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 100 Def / 104 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Every team needs at least one wall, and Ferrothorn is arguably the best in the game. I'm sure that there's a better EV spread for this, but this specific one gave me even defenses at 323 each. I still can't tell if Rocky Helmet does enough damage, considering I have no other form of HP regen aside from Leech Seed. The moveset is pretty standard as far as Ferrothorn goes.

Not true. Especially for HO Teams. I would try out a Starmie, Offensive Tentacruel, or an Offensive Donphan in Ferros place. You need a spinner.

Hope I helped, a lazy rate but a rate nonetheless.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Small suggestion:Thunder> Thunderbolt on Lati to better counter rain teams, but its useless against other teams. Its your choice. Also consider running HP ice on Infernape because its walled by notable pokemon such as DNite and the lati twins.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Teams doesn't need to have obligatory 1 wall, don't know where have you heard that lol.

The problem with your team is that you can't break defensive cores. I mean, yes, sure you have a lot of hard hitters, but any of them can't really break down cores, as you point out saying you can't beat SkarmBliss (and a offensive team that can't do that is a fail imo)

Well, I won't limit as ''just suggesting changes'' but instead, to try to make you understand why adding ''A'' pokemon and how it helps to break defensive teams

First off, I think you should remove Ferrothorn (which does almost nothing for a HO team, even less with an spinblocker) and adding Lucario on its place. Why Lucario? Well, Lucario is a prime wallbreaker and sweeper on today's metagame thanks to Swords Dance and his powerful STAB Close Combat. With a Swords Dance boost and stealth rock on the field, it's able to even OHKO Skarmory!
Lucario@Life Orb | Inner Focus
Nature Adamant | 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Swords Dance
Close Combat
Crunch
Extremespeed

I also think you should change Infernape to Mamoswine, which gives both SR and a way to deal with dragons, and it's also a really hard hitting pokemon that helps Lucario a lot by baiting and weakening physical walls
Mamoswine@Life Orb | Snow Cloak
Nature Adamant | 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Icicle Spear

I would continue listing changes for the team, but I think it's just like i'm making it instead of you. To be fair, I think you should to Battling 101 to receive help and learning about how to play the game, teambuilding and other general stuff. Good luck!

Okay, for all those who said:
Use jolly on terrakion instead of adamant
only 20% of all scarfed pokemons are +spd nature, maybe even less. Jolly isnt really neccesary. Ofc, if u wanna play safe, but as u said, this is a hyper offensive team...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)