Hypernova II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Improving upon my previous team, Team Hypernova, I have now decided to make some changes in members and EV distribution. However, more than half of team Hypernova is returning for another round. This team relies on much of the same sun-based tactics of it's predecessor, except with more emphasis on entry hazards, which my team previously struggled with. I believe I have created my best sun team as of yet, and I cannot wait to unleash all 10^46 Joules(Energy output of an average hypernova) upon my opponents!

The Late Game Sweeper/Anti-Lead (Yes I see the contradiction)

Kyurem-W: Modest @ Choice Specs
4Hp | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Draco Meteor | Ice Beam | Focus Blast | Fusion Flare

Pretty self explanatory. I use it as my anti-lead, click either one of its STABs and leads die. I then subsequently switch to have this beast in my pocket for when the sun is out and ready for a late game sweep. Focus Blast and Fusion Flare are obviously for type coverage(and to abuse that sky high SpA and the blessing of Groudon's sun XD). Many common leads are easily OHKO'ed by it's STABs. It especially helps against rain leads like Kyogre. "Go crazy" has never before been such a proper statement.

Weather/Entry Hazard Lead

Groudon:Impish @ Leftovers
252 Hp | 252 def | 4 spD
Earthquake | Stealth Rock | Fire Punch | Roar

Groudon is a returning pokemon from my previous team with different EV placement and the addition of Roar for Dragon Tail and T-Wave switched for Fire Punch. Groudon should have an easier time now that Kyurem-W deters(or utterly obliterates) many things that threaten him. Earthquake is so I don't get screwed by Taunt. Earthquake is enough to 2HKO standard Darkrai. I was thinking about going Lum but I weighed the benefits of HP restoration vs first turn status and I ended up going with the HP. Stealth rock makes Reshiram's enemies ripe for the picking. The prehistoric monter also helps take care of Zekrom and rock types that threaten Reshiram.

The Main Sweeper

Reshiram: Modest @ Life Orb
4 Hp | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Flame Charge | Blue Flare | Stone Edge | Dragon Pulse

I switched my Choice Specs with a life orb from last team and added Flame Charge to set up speed boosts. Personally, I continue to believe that with sun support, this is the best sweeper in Ubers right now. With proper EVs, it ties a large group of users in speed except for a select few, and it's dual stabs get neutral coverage on every pokemon in the game. The sun that backs up it’s already decimating Blue Flare is unbelievable. Dragon Pulse serves as a consistent and powerful STAB attack, while stone edge hits fire types for super effective and destroys the great wall that is Ho-oh.

The Kyogre Counter/Avenger

Palkia:Timid @ Choice Scarf
4Hp | 252 Spe | 252 SpA
Spacial Rend | Thunder | Fire Blast | Hydro Pump

Another veteran. I've always been a fan of Palkia, as it scares away Kyogre, and I can surprise Ferrothorn and Forretress with Fire Blast. Plus, it is far and away my favorite revenge killer. AND it helps deal with other Palkia and some fire, dragon, or ground types that wall and threaten Reshiram, such as Ho-oh. AND it functions like a beast in any weather, especially with Fire Blast and Hydro Pump.
The Great Wall/Tank

Ho-Oh: Adamant @ Leftovers
84 HP | 172 Atk | 252 SpD
Sacred Fire | Brave Bird | Earthquake | Recover

Ho-Oh can function as an outstanding wall and a great offensive tank. This is even truer under sun, where Ho-Oh becomes a potent sweeper and water attacks are mitigated. Ground types can do nothing to this beast as I Recover and throw a Brave Bird in Kyogre's fat whale face.

The Late Game Sweeper

Arceus(Normal)Adamant @ Life Orb
240Hp | 252 Atk | 16 Spe
Swords Dance | ExtremeSpeed | Earthquake | Shadow Claw

My last returning veteran. ExtremeKiller Arceus is one of my favorite late game sweepers along with Kyurem-W. Sturdy, and extremely potent, as a sweeper should be. It's also helpful taking down other pokemon faster than Reshiram, opposing Groudon, Kyogre, and the like. There's not too much else to describe about this guy. Everyone knows the ExtremeKiller. Sometimes, that's not necessarily a good thing.

Conclusion:
Well that is my team! Please rate, correct and advise all you can!

I'm not a huge Ubers player, but I see RestTalkCM Ogre in addition to Stealth Rock giving your team major issues. Palkia doesn't beat it and it only checks it because Crits exist.

Between those two things, you might have a rough time playing...maybe fit on a spinner somwhere? I'm not a huge fan of Darkrai, maybe you could replace that for Red Card Forry or something similar...

@Porii Sames thx for the advice. As for RestTalkCM Kyorgre Surf(The most common offensive move for that set) doesn't scare palkia at all even after a couple calm minds thanks to it's 4x water resistance. Palkia then counters with Thunder or if I predict a switch i spacial rend the incoming dragon type(In my ubers experience that's usually what seems to go down and spacial rend works great). Regarding Darkrai for Forry, in ubers, spinblockers are seen as a trivial addition to any team. It's perfunctory at this point. Two very common spinblockers being Ghostceus and of course Giratina. My opinion is that spinning has no advantage most of the time because of that. But I'm still very open to a possible Darkrai to Mewtwo switcheroo :)

Tbh Calm Mind increases both your SpA and SpD, so Thunder won't do a lot after 2 CMs, while it has recovery and you don't. Your only chance of getting past that is when you get a crit, since in the long run you're gonna lose. He can just keep Scalding/Surfing till Palkia dies.

If you're not using Darkrai as a lead, change Focus Sash for something else. Stealth Rock is one of the most common moves in Ubers, and that will break your sash. Try something like Leftovers or Life Orb.

Give Groudon maximum HP to maximize bulk. The remaining EVs should be put into Def with an Impish Nature to be a physical wall, and 4 EVs into Atk.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi GRB1, as you requested, I'm here with my rate.

As Porii Sames said, RestTalk Kyogre could have quite a punch on your team once gathered a few SpD boosts, as Palkia's Thunder will only tickle it while repeated Scald will kill it. Rayquaza can also have an easy day on your team, especially when Palkia is down: whether it has Haban Berry, or in KO range for ExtremeSpeed. Fast paced, strong attackers, such as Mewtwo, Darkrai, Deoxys-A, and Shaymin-S can also decimate your team if played correctly. Fortunately, there are solutions to these problems.

Darkrai seems out of place in my opinion. Your late-game sweeper is Arceus, which can do its job VERY well with the nuking powers of Reshiram, your mid-game sweeper. I think that you should change it in favor of Choice Scarf Genesect. When equipped with Choice Scarf, Genesect can outspeed and KO all of the aforementioned threats with U-turn or Ice Beam: Mewtwo, Deoxys-A, and Darkrai with U-turn, whereas Shaymin-S and Rayquaza are obliterated by Ice Beam. Utilizing U-turn also grants you offensive pressure and momentum against your foe.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Explosion
- Ice Beam

Iron Head is used to hit the Kyurem formes, and is a nice STAB move as a backup, whereas Explosion is used as a last resort when Genesect is at low health and you want to go out with a bang.

Now, with having a Choice Scarf user in Genesect, you can use a more solid Kyogre counter than Palkia. I am obviously talking about Soul Dew Latias:

Latias @ Soul Dew
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 52 HP / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse
- Refresh

Thanks to Soul Dew, Latias can have an immediate "Calm Mind boost", which allows her to even tank Ice Beam from Kyogre. The EVs allow Latias to outspeed everything she can, including Terrakion and Garchomp, and OHKO Palkia with Dragon Pulse without Stealth Rock. Roost provides reliable recovery, which is pretty much a must, and Dragon Pulse is an extremely solid STAB. Refresh makes Latias a phenomenal Gliscor counter, as thanks to it Gliscor can not do anything, thanks to her Levitate ability.

You should change your Groudon's EV spread to 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def in order to tank Salamence and Rayquaza much better. Using Stone Edge > Thunder Wave actually gives you a move to hit them with, along with Ho-oh. Roar > Dragon Tail is usually preferred in order to phaze Substitute users as well.

Why are you using Rest Giratina without Sleep Talk? You should definitely try that over Dragon Pulse, as Giratina needs to move while it's asleep. You should also alter its EV spread to 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef to tank Choice Specs Kyogre with ease.

I also recommend running a bulkier spread on Arceus, something like 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe, with either Lum Berry or Silk Scarf, to grant it more setup oppurtunities. But that's optional, really.

Kyurem-W remains a problem, but nothing really counters the Choice Specs set. Good options for your team would be using Steel Arceus > your current one or Ho-Oh > Reshiram, but I suspect that changing your team would actually damage your team.

• Choice Scarf Genesect > Darkrai
  • Soul Dew Latias > Darkrai
  • 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def, Stone Edge > Thunder Wave, Roar > Dragon Tail on Groudon
  • Sleep Talk > Dragon Pulse, 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef on Giratina
  • Optional: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe with either Lum Berry or Silk Scarf on Arceus

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi, I lost my rate earlier but I figured I'd redo one anyway.

Support Groudon / Scarf Palkia / Giratina-A / Flame Charge Reshiram / ExtremeKiller / Sash Darkrai

A lot of your EVs are suboptimal, and you have an extreme weakness to hazards.

This team is weak to, in order of importance -

Offensive Dragons - most notably Dialga for its hazard resistance and general resilience; it can OHKO 252 / 0 Groudon with Life Orb / Specs Draco Meteor.

Ho-Oh - it will more than likely outspeed Groudon and set up a Substitute in its face and destroy everything on your team. Giratina-A can only roar it out and will fall to repeated assaults + hazard damage.

General hazards - everything is grounded and vulnerable to Toxic Spikes to boot.

Kyurem-W - most teams are, but it's not like it mitigates the threat. Falls under offensive Dragons I suppose, but those are generally easier to check than this guy.

Mewtwo - it can hit everything super-effectively except Palkia, which fails to KO it even unboosted.

The first step to improving your team would be improving some of your spreads and movesets. Groudon maximizes its physically defensive capabilities with a 252 HP / 252 Def spread, and maximizes its utility with a Fire Move so it doesn't become setup bait for things like Forretress and Ferrothorn.

Groudon
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Fire Punch
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Roar
item: Leftovers
ability: Drought
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk

Unfortunately, there is no room for Thunder Wave otherwise ExtremeKiller Arceus will just straight up beat you. With Roar you can phaze it out and after two rounds of Stealth Rock damage it will be too weak to set up on you again. Roar is chosen over Dragon Tail because Ho-Oh is too bothersome otherwise; sacrificing utility for a dangerous threat is a necessary evil in this case.

Giratina should run with a specially defensive set, as Palkia, especially such such an inflexible set such as Choice Scarf, is not enough to check the blue titan. Moreover, Sleep Talk should be run over Dragon Pulse as with the new sleep mechanics being completely inactive for two turns is inadvisable, to say the least.

Giratina
move 1: Roar
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
ability: Pressure
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Giratina still can't reliably check Ho-Oh with a specially defensive spread, which brings me onto my next suggestion.

There is a currently somewhat of a redundancy in your Flame Charge Reshiram set, you would get much more utility with Stone Edge over Draco Meteor, as Reshiram can effectively bait and dispose of Ho-Oh with this move.

Reshiram
move 1: Flame Charge
move 2: Blue Flare
move 3: Dragon Pulse
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Life Orb
ability: Turboblaze
nature: Modest
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Modest is used over Timid for more bite, especially without Draco Meteor, Deoxys-A is rare, Scarf Modest Kyogre rare run maximum speed, and Choice Scarf Zekrom is effectively handled by Groudon.

Currently you have no real way of dealing with Latias outside of sleeping it with Darkrai, in addition Surf is rather redundant on Palkia when you're running a sun team. Furthermore, Spacial Rend fails to OHKO Darkrai, and losing your Choice Scarf user isn't ideal. Therefore, I recommend a Hasty Palkia with Outrage over Surf, and Draco Meteor over Spacial Rend.

Palkia
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Thunder
move 3: Draco Meteor
move 4: Fire Blast
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Pressure
nature: Hasty
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

ExtremeKiller can double as your defensive Dragon-type check, but must drop a speed and a slot for Recovery. You already fuck your momentum by using a Giratina-A so I suppose this is the best compromise short of using another CM Arceus or defensive Arceus forme.

Arceus
move 1: Recover
move 2: Swords Dance
move 3: ExtremeSpeed
move 4: Shadow Claw
ability: Multitype
nature: Adamant
evs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe

16 Speed lets you outspeed max neutral base 90s and is a good benchmark in general. Shadow Claw over Earthquake as Ferrothorn is a lot less worrying than Giratina-O. Also, my final suggestion fits in well with this.

At the moment hazard stacking completely wrecks your team, Tentacruel can suicide lead and you can have the game lost by turn 1. To remedy this I recommend using a Xatu over your odd Pokemon out, Darkrai.

Xatu
move 1: Roost
move 2: Heat Wave
move 3: U-Turn
move 4: Toxic
ability: Magic Bounce
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe

Xatu gives you a much needed switch in and way to combat the plethora of Forretress and Ferrothorn running around. It is also completely immune to mono-ground Excadrill. Dialga can't be stopped from setting up Stealth Rock, however. Unfortunately, this gives you a weakness to CM Arceus, especially Ghost, however, I have done the best to mitigate its threat as it can really only have guaranteed setup against Palkia locked into a weak move or at -2. Everything else can phaze or threaten it.

Cool team, good luck.

Hey guys srry, it's been a late night as I have been out at a friend's for Yom Kippur. Anyway thx a ton for da rates! I have taken them into account and will probably post some conclusions I have arrived at by utilizing your input. Thank you and don't forget to check later.

I really do not get why you are running max def max spec def on BOTH giratina and groudon. I know you know that the evs are wierd, but I still see no benefit too it whatsoever. You are supposed to choose max def or max spec def, one or the other. In this case I would reccomened putting groudon to max hp max def@bold, and replace giratina with ho-oh. ho-oh has an AMAZING base 154 spec def and can act as a great tank. And thanks to BW2, it now has a good ability in regenerator, to help combat stealth rocks at least a little bit.

Ho-Oh @max hp max spec def@calm(what nature was it again that boosted spec def and lowered atk?)
leftovers

Sacred Fire
Brave Bird
Roost
Whirlwind

Now sun teams almost always like rapid spin support, so if I were you I would choose tentacruel...and use this set(it's an ou set but works ok in ubers really) Tentacruel is also a good back up to rain

tentacruel@max hp 140 def 116 speed@timid
Substitute
Toxic
Scald/Sludge Bomb/Knock Off
Rapid Spin

I would use this over darkrai for 2 reaons: 1. sash darkrai is shit if u are not leading off with it bcuz of entry hazards 2: sash darkrai is beaten by a lot of different lum priority leads
Now I think Palkia would want draco meteor and hydro pump bcuz it's already losing a lot of power by not going specs. And CM kyogre beats your palkia one on one. I would reccomend venusuar over arceus as because it is in the sun, venusuar is arguably a better set up sweeper with sleep powder and better speed. But if you really want to keep arceus however, there are a few things that can make it more effective. You should change it to the bulkier Ekiller set, max hp max atk swords dance, extreme speed, shadow claw/shadow force/eq, recover/overheat with leftovers. Overheat is to nail things like ferrothorn and skarmory and gets the boost in the sun, but recover is another options that go along with its inhumane bulk. You can also choose to go to lum if you want, which beats darkrai and other annoying status inducers, and is better for a failproof sweep.

@garchompubers I have gone through a period of long thinking (and a multitude of sites) in order to reach the conclusion that I will switch Ho-oh with Giratina due to it's superior ability in BW2. Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)