Challenge I Think I May Have Discovered a New Way of Dealing the Most Damage Possible in Pokemon

The premise is simple. Previous max damage records were set by power trick shuckle. However, with access to the new move Forest's Curse and the new ability Fluffy, I discovered that pokemon who are already 2 times weak to fire can be made sixteen times weak to fire. I sought to create a scenario where a pokemon will outdamage shuckle.

I'm just terrible at the math. Can someone who knows what they're doing help me out? Thank you in advance.

DRAFT 3
DEFENSE SIDE:

Alolan-Sandrew and Smeargle are played on the same side of the field.
Smeargle is a level 1 and has the lowest defense possible.
Smeargle has the following moves: Reflect Type, Minimize, Automize
Smeargle is given -6 defense by a teamate.
Smeargle uses automize as far as it can go, reducing its weight to a minimal level.
Smeargle uses reflect type on Alolan-Sandshrew and copies its type
Smeargle is given the ability Dry Skin by a teamate using mimic. If this isnt possible, it is surely possible by using another pokemon on the attackers side.
Smeargle is afflicted with Forests Curse (making it a steel/ice/grass)
Smeargle uses minimize to take 2x damage from heatcrash.

OFFENSE SIDE
Shuckle is played.
Shuckle is Impish and has the highest defense possible. It holds a metronome.
Shuckle is affected by 3 Iron Defense and 3 swords dance boosts.
Shuckle uses power swap to convert its defense to attack.
Shuckle is given the ability Protean via Skill Swap
Shuckle uses Sunny Day to convert it into a Fire Type
Shuckle is then given the ability Huge Power via Skill Swap
Shuckle uses mimic to gain Heat Crash. Shuckle learns Mimic in Gen 3.
Shuckle's teamate is replaced with a cherrim.
Cherrim has the ability nature's gift.
Cherrim uses Sunny Day

THE END RESULT:
Shuckle uses heat crash 4 times on non-smeargle teamates/enemies. On the fifth heat crash, Shuckle will score a critical hit on the opposing smeargle.
ON THE FIFTH TURN, THE FOLLOWING MUST BE ACTIVE
- Sun must be up
- Cherrim must be Shuckle's teamate
- Cherrim must use Helping Hand on Shuckle.
- Cherrim must have an activated natures gift.

Last edited:
Forest's Curse will fail if the target is already Grass-type.
Thanks for the observation! I'm changing the test subject to be Escavalier. Escavalier only has 1 defense higher than snover at level 1 with a -def nature.

Edit: This doesnt change anything. Because escavalier has 6 defense, 3 screeches will bring it down to 1.5. Since the decimal is dropped, Escavaliers defense will be at the minimum of one.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
sandshrew got smacked rip

+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Pure Power Darmanitan Helping Hand Flare Blitz vs. -6 0 HP / 0- Def Fluffy Sandshrew-Alola in Sun on a critical hit: 116926480-137560572 (974387333.3 - 1146338100%) -- guaranteed OHKO

the weird thing was that after i got to a certain point, the font size on the damage suddenly got really big. upon making it even more ridiculous (giving darmanitan 255 base attack, maximizing the power of flare blitz), the sandshrew's fluffy ability didn't even show up anymore. spooky.

but yeah you got 137 million damage! pretty impressive if i do say so myself

Two problems:
1) Triple battles do not exist in SM
2) Flare Blitz is a contact move and hence its damage is halved again by Fluffy. So Fluffy does essentially nothing here.
Otherwise really cool damage output:p

Another problem is that Flare Blitz just isn't that impressive of a move power. If you could use a Pokemon that can learn V-create by some means, that's a free 50% power boost compared to using Flare Blitz. A particularly easy way of doing this is by using Mimic, which is open to a holder such as Flareon who doesn't lose much in the attack stat compared to Darmanitan.

Or, even better: Heat Crash, obscure move as it is, has the same "double damage vs. Minimize" clause as moves like Stomp. If you can use that to its full effect, it's 100% boost compared to Flare Blitz. On its own, it's innate to Emboar, who lags a bit behind Flareon and Darmanitan, but it can still be spliced onto another Pokemon with Mimic. A couple other problems: you need the (type-weak) target to have Minimize, which means either another Mimic-splice, or else you don't actually hit a Sandshrew...instead, Sandshrew only exists long enough to lend its typing to a Reflect Type Staryu. Also, Flareon isn't heavy enough to use Heat Crash very well, but Ho-oh exists at the same attack tier, and with enough weight to hit for full power, so mimicking the move onto Ho-oh is a bit better than leaving it on Emboar. As an alternative, Ho-oh can also get Sacred Fire, which is a weaker move but it's the one physical Fire move that's non-contact, so it gets the full benefit of Fluffy.

But other types offer more damage still.

Imagine this: Mewtwo goes Mega-X on turn 1 and hits Smeargle with a Thunder Wave (in moveslot 1). Smeargle then lets everyone else switch out for a while while it stays fully paralyzed to grab Moody boosts without anyone having to use PP, then Heart Swaps a nearly-full sheet of boosts off to Mewtwo when it comes back, and transforming into that Mega Mewtwo the following turn (so that Smeargle actually becomes a mega that has a free item slot to play with). Mewtwo can learn Snatch, so use that to preempt a Porygon's Conversion and set the Smeargle!Mewtwo to Electric type. Then change its ability to Huge/Pure Power, preferably from Meditite (because that can actually take advantage of Steadfast to fill out the missing Moody boost with a Fake Out, before it gets Skill Swapped). Later on, with Electric Terrain and Sun both in effect, Smeargle uses Snatch to steal Helioptile's Charge, earning a SpD boost but more importantly double power for its own electric moves on the following turn. Then on that key turn...Helioptile and L1 Wingull (with at least -3 defense) vs. Smeargle-Mewtwo and Cherrim. Cherrim uses Helping Hand. Helioptile's Quick Claw hits, and uses Electrify. "Mewtwo" uses Me First, trying to hit Wingull...and Wingull was attempting to use Power Trip that it had acquired from Mankey earlier on by way of Mimic. So instead Mewtwo uses Power Trip on Wingull, with a 50% power boost on top of the 860 power it gets by itself, and of course it's been turned into an electric move by Electrify. Yeah.

The calculator doesn't even have all the applicable multipliers for this, and the scenario is so overloaded that it's not really possible to substitute other things with equivalent effect (such as if you're using Charged moves against mono-water, you could set them to Water/Flying, but here they already have that dual type...or the Helping Hand button could take the place of either Me First or Flower Gift, but not if you have all three of those things trying to run concurrently). There is a hard deadline in that whichever of sun or terrain comes first, all the other switching and setup that comes afterwards has to be able to take place in a span of 7 turns, and Mewtwo!Smeargle has a non-negotiable requirement to select two different moves in the final two turns, so it might not be possible to work a Choice Band into the figure successfully. Even if not, if Smeargle has to settle for a Life Orb, that should still put the damage figure around 360 million. If a Choice Band can work after all (perhaps by the timely expiration of an Embargo or something), it's more like 415 million.

[EDIT] Is Mimic still capable of hitting Transform? If so, that makes the item issue really easy to work with, just have a Mimic Pikachu take Transform and use it on Mewtwo, so it'll still get the benefit of the Light Ball on top of everything else. Boom, that gets to 550 million damage.

Doesn't quite make up for the loss of triples, but the existence of Power Trip (as a physical attack in particular) now helps to cushion the blow a bit. Flower Gift doesn't work on the special side, so building something around Stored Power would require downgrading the partner's ability to Battery, and the only ways to get a 2.0 multiplier out of the ability slot on the special side are with Stakeout and Tinted Lens. The latter is obviously no good since it forces a suboptimal multiplier elsewhere, and Stakeout just plain doesn't work if you're trying to get a Me First boost.

Last edited:
Use Reshiram for attacking and have it use Overheat.
If you're going for special Fire, you're better off (in terms of both stats and move power) with Mega Charizard Y Blast Burn. That does lock up the item slot as a mega stone, but you could always have something else transform into the Charizard after it's gone mega, giving you the best of all worlds. Except, of course, for the world of "you're using special moves, and thus don't get to take advantage of abilities as convenient as Huge Power".

Minor thing: I think Dry Skin is better than Fluffy if using a contact Fire move, since it's 25% boost rather than -50 Contact/+50 Fire canceling out.

Thank you so much for the comments! I figured I made some mistake. I will revise my calculations as soon as possible, probably tomorrow.

If you're going for special Fire, you're better off (in terms of both stats and move power) with Mega Charizard Y Blast Burn. That does lock up the item slot as a mega stone, but you could always have something else transform into the Charizard after it's gone mega, giving you the best of all worlds. Except, of course, for the world of "you're using special moves, and thus don't get to take advantage of abilities as convenient as Huge Power".
I never took transformation into account. You're a lifesaver.

Another problem is that Flare Blitz just isn't that impressive of a move power. If you could use a Pokemon that can learn V-create by some means, that's a free 50% power boost compared to using Flare Blitz. A particularly easy way of doing this is by using Mimic, which is open to a holder such as Flareon who doesn't lose much in the attack stat compared to Darmanitan.

Or, even better: Heat Crash, obscure move as it is, has the same "double damage vs. Minimize" clause as moves like Stomp. If you can use that to its full effect, it's 100% boost compared to Flare Blitz. On its own, it's innate to Emboar, who lags a bit behind Flareon and Darmanitan, but it can still be spliced onto another Pokemon with Mimic. A couple other problems: you need the (type-weak) target to have Minimize, which means either another Mimic-splice, or else you don't actually hit a Sandshrew...instead, Sandshrew only exists long enough to lend its typing to a Reflect Type Staryu. Also, Flareon isn't heavy enough to use Heat Crash very well, but Ho-oh exists at the same attack tier, and with enough weight to hit for full power, so mimicking the move onto Ho-oh is a bit better than leaving it on Emboar. As an alternative, Ho-oh can also get Sacred Fire, which is a weaker move but it's the one physical Fire move that's non-contact, so it gets the full benefit of Fluffy.

But other types offer more damage still.

Imagine this: Mewtwo goes Mega-X on turn 1 and hits Smeargle with a Thunder Wave (in moveslot 1). Smeargle then lets everyone else switch out for a while while it stays fully paralyzed to grab Moody boosts without anyone having to use PP, then Heart Swaps a nearly-full sheet of boosts off to Mewtwo when it comes back, and transforming into that Mega Mewtwo the following turn (so that Smeargle actually becomes a mega that has a free item slot to play with). Mewtwo can learn Snatch, so use that to preempt a Porygon's Conversion and set the Smeargle!Mewtwo to Electric type. Then change its ability to Huge/Pure Power, preferably from Meditite (because that can actually take advantage of Steadfast to fill out the missing Moody boost with a Fake Out, before it gets Skill Swapped). Later on, with Electric Terrain and Sun both in effect, Smeargle uses Snatch to steal Helioptile's Charge, earning a SpD boost but more importantly double power for its own electric moves on the following turn. Then on that key turn...Helioptile and L1 Wingull (with at least -3 defense) vs. Smeargle-Mewtwo and Cherrim. Cherrim uses Helping Hand. Helioptile's Quick Claw hits, and uses Electrify. "Mewtwo" uses Me First, trying to hit Wingull...and Wingull was attempting to use Power Trip that it had acquired from Mankey earlier on by way of Mimic. So instead Mewtwo uses Power Trip on Wingull, with a 50% power boost on top of the 860 power it gets by itself, and of course it's been turned into an electric move by Electrify. Yeah.

The calculator doesn't even have all the applicable multipliers for this, and the scenario is so overloaded that it's not really possible to substitute other things with equivalent effect (such as if you're using Charged moves against mono-water, you could set them to Water/Flying, but here they already have that dual type...or the Helping Hand button could take the place of either Me First or Flower Gift, but not if you have all three of those things trying to run concurrently). There is a hard deadline in that whichever of sun or terrain comes first, all the other switching and setup that comes afterwards has to be able to take place in a span of 7 turns, and Mewtwo!Smeargle has a non-negotiable requirement to select two different moves in the final two turns, so it might not be possible to work a Choice Band into the figure successfully. Even if not, if Smeargle has to settle for a Life Orb, that should still put the damage figure around 360 million. If a Choice Band can work after all (perhaps by the timely expiration of an Embargo or something), it's more like 415 million.

[EDIT] Is Mimic still capable of hitting Transform? If so, that makes the item issue really easy to work with, just have a Mimic Pikachu take Transform and use it on Mewtwo, so it'll still get the benefit of the Light Ball on top of everything else. Boom, that gets to 550 million damage.

Doesn't quite make up for the loss of triples, but the existence of Power Trip (as a physical attack in particular) now helps to cushion the blow a bit. Flower Gift doesn't work on the special side, so building something around Stored Power would require downgrading the partner's ability to Battery, and the only ways to get a 2.0 multiplier out of the ability slot on the special side are with Stakeout and Tinted Lens. The latter is obviously no good since it forces a suboptimal multiplier elsewhere, and Stakeout just plain doesn't work if you're trying to get a Me First boost.
Crap. That seems complex.

Alright. Heres my new hypothetsis: I cant thank you guys enough for the help. Espcially to SadisticMystic. You're great.

DOUBLE BATTLE, (cause triple is no longer relevant)

DEFENSE SIDE:

Smeargle uses automize as far as it can go, reducing its weight to a minimal level.
Smeargle is given the ability Dry Skin by a teamate using mimic. If this isnt possible, it is surely possible by using another pokemon on the attackers side.

OFFENSE SIDE
Mega Mewtwo X and Ditto are played on the same side of the field.
Mega Mewtwo X is Adamant and has the highest attack possible
Mega Mewtwo X is affected by 3 swords dance boosts
Mega Mewtwo X uses power swap on any fire type (using blaziken for whatever reason).
Blaziken is affected by Mega Mewtwo X's power boost.
Blaziken takes the move "heat crash" from a teamate using mimic, a move it naturally learns
Blaziken is then copied by a Ditto using transform. Ditto is holding a metronome.
Ditto is given Huge Power by a teamate.
Blaziken's teamate is replaced with a cherrim.
Cherrim uses Sunny Day

THE END RESULT:
Ditto uses heat crash 4 times on non-smeargle teamates/enemies. On the fifth heat crash, Mega Blaziken will score a critical hit on the opposing smeargle.
- Sun must be up
- Cherrim must be Ditto's teamate
- Cherrim must use Helping Hand on Ditto.

SadisticMystic Did I miss anything? I feel like I missed something obvious.

Last edited:
Without factoring in Flower Gift or the third type (since the calculator just runs out of room to squeeze those in anywhere), I see a damage figure of 37,558,104--those last two multipliers are effectively x3 in all, modulo their actual position relative to the additive constants, so that puts you around 112 million damage. You can do even better by using Primal Groudon instead of Mega Blaziken, to the tune of 123 million, and of course Groudon is so heavy that you never need to bother with Autotomize.

If you're allowing the "big hitter" to take multiple practice hits prior to the one that counts, for the purpose of powering up the Metronome item, then remember that you not only have to compete with the 860 max power from Power Trip or Stored Power, you're also up against 960 power from Rollout 6 or Ice Ball 6. Those moves obviously aren't amenable to being turned into Electric type for taking advantage of Charge, and neither rock nor ice can take advantage of weather or terrain for a further boost, but Ice is (like Fire) at least a type that can set up a triple weakness, by cursing Noibat, Gible, or Gligar. For a bit of simplicity, I often use the guideline "Whatever the primary damage-dealer is, the simulation stops the first time it deals damage, and only that hit is measured", such as in my catalog of 1v1 battles that try to optimize the damage from each type; it certainly makes it more interesting to see if you can maneuver that attacker to hold a Choice item for the big damage boost without messing everything up.

As it turns out, Mimic is indeed not capable of hitting Transform under current rules, and neither can Metronome, so it turns out there's no legal way to have a Pikachu or Clamperl transform into something with a huge attack stat while still getting the benefit of a 100% boost item that doesn't hinder move selection at all. So much for the 550 million figure using Electrified Stored Power, but it's still in the neighborhood of 400 million, more than triple what this Heat Crash scenario is turning up.

[EDIT] Power Swap doesn't actually do what you're trying to do with it in your update. It's not like Speed Swap, exchanging the raw stats; rather it only changes the stat modifiers, such as +0 or +6. You can still make use of Mega Mewtwo X for an even higher stat than Primal Groudon, but that's a matter of putting the type on Mewtwo, not putting Mewtwo's stats on a fire type. The way you do the former is by putting Mewtwo's Mimic in slot 1, so that's where Heat Crash goes, and then have it use Snatch to steal someone's Conversion and set its type to Fire that way. That gets just short of 130 million damage, in the hands of that user.

Last edited:
Without factoring in Flower Gift or the third type (since the calculator just runs out of room to squeeze those in anywhere), I see a damage figure of 37,558,104--those last two multipliers are effectively x3 in all, modulo their actual position relative to the additive constants, so that puts you around 112 million damage. You can do even better by using Primal Groudon instead of Mega Blaziken, to the tune of 123 million, and of course Groudon is so heavy that you never need to bother with Autotomize.

If you're allowing the "big hitter" to take multiple practice hits prior to the one that counts, for the purpose of powering up the Metronome item, then remember that you not only have to compete with the 860 max power from Power Trip or Stored Power, you're also up against 960 power from Rollout 6 or Ice Ball 6. Those moves obviously aren't amenable to being turned into Electric type for taking advantage of Charge, and neither rock nor ice can take advantage of weather or terrain for a further boost, but Ice is (like Fire) at least a type that can set up a triple weakness, by cursing Noibat, Gible, or Gligar. For a bit of simplicity, I often use the guideline "Whatever the primary damage-dealer is, the simulation stops the first time it deals damage, and only that hit is measured", such as in my catalog of 1v1 battles that try to optimize the damage from each type; it certainly makes it more interesting to see if you can maneuver that attacker to hold a Choice item for the big damage boost without messing everything up.

As it turns out, Mimic is indeed not capable of hitting Transform under current rules, and neither can Metronome, so it turns out there's no legal way to have a Pikachu or Clamperl transform into something with a huge attack stat while still getting the benefit of a 100% boost item that doesn't hinder move selection at all. So much for the 550 million figure using Electrified Stored Power, but it's still in the neighborhood of 400 million, more than triple what this Heat Crash scenario is turning up.

[EDIT] Power Swap doesn't actually do what you're trying to do with it in your update. It's not like Speed Swap, exchanging the raw stats; rather it only changes the stat modifiers, such as +0 or +6. You can still make use of Mega Mewtwo X for an even higher stat than Primal Groudon, but that's a matter of putting the type on Mewtwo, not putting Mewtwo's stats on a fire type. The way you do the former is by putting Mewtwo's Mimic in slot 1, so that's where Heat Crash goes, and then have it use Snatch to steal someone's Conversion and set its type to Fire that way. That gets just short of 130 million damage, in the hands of that user.
Is there a way I can get shuckle with the move conversion? If so, can you teach me a hypothetical situation in which it can be done?

DRAFT 3
DEFENSE SIDE:

OFFENSE SIDE
Shuckle is played.
Shuckle is Impish and has the highest defense possible. It holds a metronome.
Shuckle is affected by 3 Iron Defense and 3 swords dance boosts.
Shuckle uses power swap to convert its defense to attack.
Shuckle is given the ability Protean via Skill Swap
Shuckle uses Sunny Day to convert it into a Fire Type
Shuckle is then given the ability Huge Power via Skill Swap
Shuckle uses mimic to gain Heat Crash. Shuckle learns Mimic in Gen 3.
Shuckle's teamate is replaced with a cherrim.
Cherrim uses Sunny Day

THE END RESULT:
Shuckle uses heat crash 4 times on non-smeargle teamates/enemies. On the fifth heat crash, Shuckle will score a critical hit on the opposing smeargle.
- Sun must be up
- Cherrim must be Shuckle's teamate
- Cherrim must use Helping Hand on Shuckle.

Last edited:

Thanks for the help man, but a question
Is the deep sea tooth/light ball gimmick needed? Metronome gives the same boost.

Also, is electric strictly better than fire? if it is better, we can just alter draft 3 to fit stored power.

My concern is that fire has these benefits that electric doesnt:
1. Dry Skin
2. Minimize boost to Heat Crash
3. Forests Curse

Last edited:
My calculations for Draft 3 are finished, this move will deal 375989580 damage, we still need a lot to go. Im still confident that gen 6 and 7 added things we can use to beat the record.

Metronome only works if you have the luxury of using the same move 5 times in a row. It's great with Rollout/Ice Ball, if you're going in that direction, but my particular setup was built around Charge one turn into Stored Power or Power Trip on the next, which clearly breaks the "consecutive moves" streak. Light Ball would allow the same damage boost of peak Metronome, but with more flexibility in move order, so if I had a way to make that work, it would be the obvious choice. Furthermore, the coup de grace in this setup involves using Me First, so even though Light Ball doesn't work, if I can at least get the Me First/Choice Band combo to work, that's a 125% bonus in all, better than the 100% from spamming a Metronomed move (probably into a Focus Band or something), so it's still worth looking into that possibility for the item slot.

Let's see how this works...putting my scenario into entirely constructive terms to make absolutely sure everything checks out, with room to fit everything into a legal 6v6 battle. It actually looks like there's a bit more leeway than I was planning for, which is nice.

----------

TEAM A

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite X
Ability: Pressure -> Steadfast
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Skill Swap
- Snatch
- Me First

Wingull
Ability: Keen Eye
Lonely Nature
Level: 2
- Mimic
- Agility
- Water Gun

Meditite
Ability: Pure Power
Hardy Nature
- Fake Out
- Baton Pass

Porygon @ Choice Band
Ability: Analytic
Hardy Nature
- Conversion
- Trick

Helioptile @ Quick Claw
Ability: Sand Veil
Hardy Nature
Level: 1
- Electrify
- Charge
- Iron Tail

TEAM B

Mr. Big (Smeargle) @ Eject Button
Ability: Moody
Hardy Nature
- Heart Swap
- Transform
- Splash

Pangoro
Ability: Iron Fist
Hardy Nature
- Power Trip
- Leer
- Embargo

Cherrim
Ability: Flower Gift
Hardy Nature
- Sunny Day
- Helping Hand

Tapu Koko @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
Hardy Nature
- Screech

----------

Turn 1: Mewtwo/Wingull vs. Smeargle/Pangoro
Pangoro switches out for anything
Wingull switches out for anything
Mewtwo Mega Evolves
Mewtwo used Thunder Wave on Smeargle
Smeargle is fully paralyzed
Smeargle's Moody does something

Turns 2-40:
Everyone except Smeargle constantly switches
Smeargle is fully paralyzed every turn (or possibly uses Splash, just to waste time)

At the end of turn 40, make sure the Moody boosts have been arranged such that Smeargle has +5 speed, +5 special defense, and +6 everything else. Suppose the field consists of Meditite/Porygon vs. Smeargle/Pangoro (in reality, it doesn't matter much except for the continued presence of Smeargle).

Turn 41:
Meditite switches out for Mewtwo
Porygon switches out for Wingull
Smeargle uses Heart Swap on Mewtwo
Pangoro uses Embargo (5/5)
Smeargle's Moody does something (it doesn't matter what)

Turn 42 (Embargo 4/5):
Wingull switches out for Porygon
Pangoro switches out for Cherrim
Mewtwo uses Thunder Wave on Smeargle (no effect)
Smeargle uses Transform on Mewtwo, copying its form, ability, and all the stat boosts it just donated on the previous turn

Turn 43 (Embargo 3/5):
Mewtwo switches out for Meditite
Cherrim switches out for Pangoro
Smeargle uses Snatch on Porygon
Porygon tries to use Conversion, but the move gets snatched--Smeargle (in the guise of Mega Mewtwo X) becomes Electric type

Turn 44 (Embargo 2/5):
Porygon switches out for Mewtwo
Meditite uses Fake Out on Smeargle (note Smeargle is still holding Eject Button here, so Embargo needed to be in effect to prevent it from triggering)
Smeargle flinches
Smeargle's Steadfast brings it to +6 Speed

Turn 45 (Embargo 1/5):
Mewtwo switches out for Helioptile
Smeargle uses Skill Swap on Meditite, exchanging Steadfast and Pure Power
Meditite uses Baton Pass, switching out for Porygon
Embargo expires

Turn 46:
Pangoro switches out for Tapu Koko
Helioptile switches out for Wingull
Electric Surge activates (8/8)
Porygon uses Trick on Smeargle, exchanging Choice Band and Eject Button

Turn 47 (Electric Terrain 7/8):
Tapu Koko uses Screech on Wingull (-2 Def, raw stat of 2 points)
Porygon uses Trick on Tapu Koko, exchanging Eject Button and Terrain Extender
Wingull uses Water Gun on Tapu Koko for a pittance of damage
Tapu Koko's Eject Button causes it to switch out for Pangoro

Turn 48 (Electric Terrain 6/8):
Wingull uses Agility (+2 Spe, purely to waste time)

Turn 49 (Electric Terrain 5/8, Embargo 4/5)
Pangoro uses Power Trip on Mewtwo for a bit of damage
Wingull uses Mimic on Pangoro, learning Power Trip

Turn 50 (Electric Terrain 4/8, Embargo 3/5)
Pangoro uses Leer (Helioptile -1 Def which doesn't matter; Wingull -3 Def, raw stat is still 2 points)
Wingull uses Agility (+4 Spe)

Turn 51 (Electric Terrain 3/8, Embargo 2/5)
Wingull uses Agility (+6 Spe)
Helioptile uses Iron Tail on Wingull, dealing some damage (not enough for a OHKO) and getting the defense drop (Wingull -4 Def, raw stat is now 1 point)

Turn 52 (Electric Terrain 2/8, Embargo 1/5)
Smeargle uses Snatch on Helioptile
Cherrim uses Sunny Day (5/5)
Wingull uses Agility (no effect)
Helioptile tries to use Charge, but the move is snatched away (Smeargle +6 SpD, completing its stat boost grid; double electric power next turn)
Embargo expires

Turn 53 (Sun 4/5, Electric Terrain 1/8)
Helioptile's Quick Claw activates
Cherrim uses Helping Hand on Smeargle
Helioptile uses Electrify on Smeargle
Smeargle uses Me First on Wingull
Wingull was trying to use Power Trip, so Smeargle uses (Electric-type) Power Trip on Wingull, with 860 BP from a full slate of boosts, a 4208-point Attack stat (526 with +6 and Huge Power) against 1-point Defense, and multipliers of 4 (type matchup), 2 (last turn's Charge), 1.5 (STAB), 1.5 (Electric Terrain), 1.5 (Me First), 1.5 (Flower Gift), 1.5 (Helping Hand), 1.5 (Choice Band), and 1.5 (critical hit). That should result in a peak roll of 415,510,830 damage.

If it's possible to make this work by using Power Trick Shuckle instead of Mega Mewtwo X, the damage would go up to 485,025,912. But is the movepool even there? It might not even necessarily have to be Shuckle, as Mega Steelix or Mega Aggron both reach identical defense stats, but having access to Me First is a non-negotiable part of the plan. All three of those things can get Mimic, but then the problem is Mimic can only appear once in the moveset. The attacker doesn't necessarily need to have Skill Swap, since skills can be swapped externally through a liaison, nor does it need to use Conversion because said Skill Swapper can temporarily lend it Protean or Color Change for just long enough to become the desired type. But Charge is another necessary piece of the puzzle, and the attacker does have to actually execute that move somehow. The Mimic slot is already accounted for, and all the other possible ways of acquiring the move (Snatch, Copycat, Assist, Metronome) are off limits to all of the 230-defense trio, so we seem to be completely out of luck as far as that upgrade, never mind the ability to make it all fit into 12 Pokemon slots.

Last edited:
I don't think it's possible to obtain a level 1 Wingull with Mimic. As far as I know Wingull can learn Mimic only in generation 3, and any Wingull obtained in generation 3 must be level 2 or higher.

Last edited:
Looks like it. Level 2 means Wingull will be stuck at 5 defense rather than 4, so it needs to be at -4 rather than -3 in order to drop the stat to 1 point, so that -4 could just be a matter of Screech + Screech instead of Screech + Leer. Pangoro doesn't learn Screech, Krookodile doesn't learn Screech, Primeape can learn Screech but suffers from not being able to learn Embargo...obviously I could just use a second Smeargle to handle those moves, or I could drop Helioptile to level 1 and have it use Iron Tail on its teammate Wingull in order to put the fourth defense drop on it in time. That works nicely.

How does the intersection of Power Trick and Power Split work? Power Split supposedly ignores stat modifiers, but does it ignore the fact that Power Trick has been used? If not, then Shuckle could come in, Power Trick, Power Split with Smeargle-Mewtwo (or, for that matter, Smeargle-anything else), switch out, switch in, and repeat, bringing the target's attack stat asymptotically closer to its own each time. You'd never be able to get the last point, due to rounding, but if that works then at least you can bump Mewtwo's attack stat up from 526 to 613.

...Actually, forget transforming at all. Pikachu doesn't need to turn into anything, it can just use its own moveset of Mimic (to acquire Me First)/Charge/Electric Terrain/Agility (to waste time while something else sets up boosts with either Heart Swap or Acupressure--yes, Acupressure can just target a teammate directly, which is convenient). It's already the right type to avoid needing Conversion, and doesn't need to snatch Charge since it just learns Charge by itself. Even though its innate Attack stat is far from impressive, 16 PP on Power Split is plenty for getting that raised up to within one point of that move's user; so either 613 (if the Power Trick interaction "works"), or otherwise 459 (using Hoopa-U as the Power Split user with the highest innate stat there) or 525 (if Mega Mewtwo X can repeatedly Mimic Power Split and use that). Then of course Pikachu is uniquely positioned to get full power from the item slot, even as its last two moves are forced into Charge/Me First, and we never have to worry about Embargo or Tapu Koko or anything like that. So let's try rebuilding everything:

----------

TEAM A

Wingull
Lonely Nature
- Mimic
- Agility

Smeargle @ Quick Claw
Ability: Own Tempo
Hardy Nature
- Electrify
- Screech
- Electric Terrain

Meditite
Hardy Nature
- Baton Pass

Hoopa-Unbound
Ability: Magician
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Power Split

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite X
Brave Nature
IVs: 22 Spe (to underspeed Hoopa)
- Mimic
- Skill Swap

Shuckle (actually, if this is useful for anything then Hoopa-U won't be, but they all fit in the same team of 6 anyway so why not)
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 Def
- Power Trick
- Power Split

TEAM B

Mr. Big (Pikachu) @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
Brave Nature (to underspeed Toxicroak)
- Mimic
- Charge
- Agility

Toxicroak
Ability: Poison Touch
Hardy Nature
- Me First
- Acupressure

Cherrim
Hardy Nature
- Sunny Day
- Helping Hand

Primeape
Ability: Vital Spirit
Hardy Nature
- Power Trip

----------

Turn 1: Mewtwo/Meditite vs. Pikachu/Toxicroak
Mewtwo Mega Evolves
Mewtwo uses Skill Swap on Meditite, exchanging Steadfast and Pure Power
Toxicroak uses Me First on anyone (no effect)
Pikachu uses Mimic on Toxicroak, learning Me First
Meditite uses Baton Pass, switching out for Shuckle

Turn 2:
Mewtwo uses Skill Swap on Pikachu, exchanging Pure Power and Static
Toxicroak uses Acupressure on Pikachu, raising something
Pikachu uses Agility, raising Speed
Shuckle uses Power Trick (614 Atk, 56 Def)

Turns 3-19 for Team B consist of Agility/Acupressure spam, so that Pikachu's grid is entirely complete after all that.

For team A, they're obviously going to follow the plan of repeatedly Power Splitting with Pikachu and switching out to reset the stats (the 525 schedule would also involve Hoopa using Power Split on Toxicroak so that Mewtwo can mimic the move), but it'll actually depend on which schedule works to figure out who uses it. Pikachu's Attack stat will be adjusted each time as follows:
459 schedule: 229 - 344 - 402 - 431 - 445 - 452 - 456 - 458 - 459 (8 loops)
525 schedule: 229 - 377 - 451 - 488 - 507 - 516 - 521 - 523 - 524 - 525 (9 loops)
613 schedule: 229 - 421 - 517 - 565 - 589 - 601 - 607 - 610 - 612 - 613 (9 loops)

And the timing per loop:
459 schedule (2 turns):
1) Hoopa uses Power Split on Pikachu, Mewtwo switches out for Meditite
2) Hoopa switches out for Mewtwo, Meditite uses Baton Pass back to Hoopa
525 schedule (3 turns):
1) Hoopa uses Power Split on Toxicroak, Mewtwo uses Mimic and learns Power Split
2) Hoopa switches out for Meditite, Mewtwo uses Power Split on Pikachu
3) Mewtwo switches out for Hoopa, Meditite uses Baton Pass back to Mewtwo
613 schedule (3 turns):
1) Wingull switches out for Mewtwo, Shuckle uses Power Trick for 614 Atk
2) Mewtwo switches out for Meditite, Shuckle uses Power Split on Pikachu
3) Shuckle switches out for Wingull, Meditite uses Baton Pass back to Shuckle

So that process will take either 15 or 26 turns. Both Agility and Acupressure have between 30 and 48 PP, so they can easily be spammed even after all the stats are maxed out, just to waste time and avoid switching.

Turn 28:
Team A switches out for Smeargle and Wingull
Toxicroak switches out for Primeape
Pikachu uses Agility to waste more time

Turn 29:
Pikachu uses Agility
Primeape uses Power Trip on Smeargle for some damage (not enough for a OHKO, it's only 20 power after all)
Smeargle uses Screech on Wingull (-2 Def)
Wingull uses Mimic on Primeape, learning Power Trip

Turn 30:
Primeape switches out for Cherrim
Pikachu uses Agility
Smeargle uses Screech on Wingull (-4 Def; stat is now 1 point and can't be reduced any further than that)
Wingull uses Agility (+2 Spe)

Turn 31:
Pikachu uses Charge (double electric power next turn)
Smeargle uses Electric Terrain (5/5)

Turn 32 (Sun 4/5, Electric Terrain 4/5):
Smeargle's Quick Claw activates
Cherrim uses Helping Hand on Pikachu
Smeargle uses Electrify on Pikachu
Pikachu uses Me First on Wingull
Wingull tries to use Power Trip, so Pikachu uses it instead

Total damage this way, depending on which mechanics actually work (+6 248+ Atk Light Ball Pure Power charged Pikachu Helping Hand Me First Power Trip (860 BP) vs. -4 0 HP / 0- Def Wingull in Electric Terrain with an ally's Flower Gift on a critical hit):
459 Atk version (base stat 160) - 483,446,070
525 Atk version (base stat 190) - 552,961,188
613 Atk version (base stat 230) - 645,647,940

Last edited:
Metronome only works if you have the luxury of using the same move 5 times in a row. It's great with Rollout/Ice Ball, if you're going in that direction, but my particular setup was built around Charge one turn into Stored Power or Power Trip on the next, which clearly breaks the "consecutive moves" streak. Light Ball would allow the same damage boost of peak Metronome, but with more flexibility in move order, so if I had a way to make that work, it would be the obvious choice. Furthermore, the coup de grace in this setup involves using Me First, so even though Light Ball doesn't work, if I can at least get the Me First/Choice Band combo to work, that's a 125% bonus in all, better than the 100% from spamming a Metronomed move (probably into a Focus Band or something), so it's still worth looking into that possibility for the item slot.

Let's see how this works...putting my scenario into entirely constructive terms to make absolutely sure everything checks out, with room to fit everything into a legal 6v6 battle. It actually looks like there's a bit more leeway than I was planning for, which is nice.

----------

TEAM A

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite X
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Skill Swap
- Snatch
- Me First

Wingull
Lonely Nature
- Mimic
- Agility
- Water Gun

Meditite
Hardy Nature
- Fake Out
- Baton Pass

Porygon @ Choice Band
Ability: Analytic
Hardy Nature
- Conversion
- Trick

Helioptile @ Quick Claw
Ability: Sand Veil
Hardy Nature
Level: 1
- Electrify
- Charge
- Iron Tail

TEAM B

Mr. Big (Smeargle) @ Eject Button
Ability: Moody
Hardy Nature
- Heart Swap
- Transform
- Splash

Pangoro
Ability: Iron Fist
Hardy Nature
- Power Trip
- Leer
- Embargo

Cherrim
Hardy Nature
- Sunny Day
- Helping Hand

Tapu Koko @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
Hardy Nature
- Screech

----------

Turn 1: Mewtwo/Wingull vs. Smeargle/Pangoro
Pangoro switches out for anything
Wingull switches out for anything
Mewtwo Mega Evolves
Mewtwo used Thunder Wave on Smeargle

Turns 2-40:
Everyone except Smeargle constantly switches
Smeargle is fully paralyzed every turn (or possibly uses Splash, just to waste time)

At the end of turn 40, make sure the Moody boosts have been arranged such that Smeargle has +5 speed, +5 special defense, and +6 everything else. Suppose the field consists of Meditite/Porygon vs. Smeargle/Pangoro (in reality, it doesn't matter much except for the continued presence of Smeargle).

Turn 41:
Meditite switches out for Mewtwo
Porygon switches out for Wingull
Smeargle uses Heart Swap on Mewtwo
Smeargle's Moody does something (it doesn't matter what)

Turn 42 (Embargo 4/5):
Wingull switches out for Porygon
Smeargle uses Transform on Mewtwo, copying its form, ability, and all the stat boosts it just donated on the previous turn

Turn 43 (Embargo 3/5):
Mewtwo switches out for Meditite
Smeargle uses Snatch on Porygon
Porygon tries to use Conversion, but the move gets snatched--Smeargle (in the guise of Mega Mewtwo X) becomes Electric type

Turn 44 (Embargo 2/5):
Meditite uses Fake Out on Smeargle (note Smeargle is still holding Eject Button here, so Embargo needed to be in effect to prevent it from triggering)
Smeargle flinches
Smeargle's Steadfast brings it to +6 Speed

Turn 45 (Embargo 1/5):
Smeargle uses Skill Swap on Meditite, exchanging Steadfast and Pure Power
Meditite uses Baton Pass, switching out for Porygon
Embargo expires

Turn 46:
Pangoro switches out for Tapu Koko
Helioptile switches out for Wingull
Electric Surge activates (8/8)
Porygon uses Trick on Smeargle, exchanging Choice Band and Eject Button

Turn 47 (Electric Terrain 7/8):
Tapu Koko uses Screech on Wingull (-2 Def, raw stat of 2 points)
Porygon uses Trick on Tapu Koko, exchanging Eject Button and Terrain Extender
Wingull uses Water Gun on Tapu Koko for a pittance of damage
Tapu Koko's Eject Button causes it to switch out for Pangoro

Turn 48 (Electric Terrain 6/8):
Wingull uses Agility (+2 Spe, purely to waste time)

Turn 49 (Electric Terrain 5/8, Embargo 4/5)
Pangoro uses Power Trip on Mewtwo for a bit of damage
Wingull uses Mimic on Pangoro, learning Power Trip

Turn 50 (Electric Terrain 4/8, Embargo 3/5)
Pangoro uses Leer (Helioptile -1 Def which doesn't matter; Wingull -3 Def, raw stat is still 2 points)

Turn 51 (Electric Terrain 3/8, Embargo 2/5)
Wingull uses Agility (+6 Spe)
Helioptile uses Iron Tail on Wingull, dealing some damage (not enough for a OHKO) and getting the defense drop (Wingull -4 Def, raw stat is now 1 point)

Turn 52 (Electric Terrain 2/8, Embargo 1/5)
Smeargle uses Snatch on Helioptile
Wingull uses Agility (no effect)
Helioptile tries to use Charge, but the move is snatched away (Smeargle +6 SpD, completing its stat boost grid; double electric power next turn)
Embargo expires

Turn 53 (Sun 4/5, Electric Terrain 1/8)
Helioptile's Quick Claw activates
Cherrim uses Helping Hand on Smeargle
Helioptile uses Electrify on Smeargle
Smeargle uses Me First on Wingull
Wingull was trying to use Power Trip, so Smeargle uses (Electric-type) Power Trip on Wingull, with 860 BP from a full slate of boosts, a 4208-point Attack stat (526 with +6 and Huge Power) against 1-point Defense, and multipliers of 4 (type matchup), 2 (last turn's Charge), 1.5 (STAB), 1.5 (Electric Terrain), 1.5 (Me First), 1.5 (Flower Gift), 1.5 (Helping Hand), 1.5 (Choice Band), and 1.5 (critical hit). That should result in a peak roll of 415,510,830 damage.

If it's possible to make this work by using Power Trick Shuckle instead of Mega Mewtwo X, the damage would go up to 485,025,912. But is the movepool even there? It might not even necessarily have to be Shuckle, as Mega Steelix or Mega Aggron both reach identical defense stats, but having access to Me First is a non-negotiable part of the plan. All three of those things can get Mimic, but then the problem is Mimic can only appear once in the moveset. The attacker doesn't necessarily need to have Skill Swap, since skills can be swapped externally through a liaison, nor does it need to use Conversion because said Skill Swapper can temporarily lend it Protean or Color Change for just long enough to become the desired type. But Charge is another necessary piece of the puzzle, and the attacker does have to actually execute that move somehow. The Mimic slot is already accounted for, and all the other possible ways of acquiring the move (Snatch, Copycat, Assist, Metronome) are off limits to all of the 230-defense trio, so we seem to be completely out of luck as far as that upgrade, never mind the ability to make it all fit into 12 Pokemon slots.
That seems great, but I have a couple critiques.

Your process seems unnecessarily complicated. I'm sure I can make it a lot less complicated, I'll do it when I get home. I'm not sure why you're using moody rather than acupressure, it doesn't even take a move slot on smeargle

I think there's a way to incorporate metronome to make it work in your current scenario.

Let me just highlight everything that needs to be done. Then, we'll see if it's possible.

Pikachu is summoned. Maximum attack, level 100.
Pikachu is given huge power by ability swapping

CHAIN FOR AS LONG AS NECESSARY
1. Shuckle switched in on opposing side. max defense, level 100
2. Shuckle uses iron defense three times
3. Shuckle uses power trick
4. Shuckle uses power split on Pikachu raising its attack
CHAIN ENDS

Pikachu is given every possible stat increase via acupressure

-------------------------------------------
Wingull switched in (level 2)
Wingull has minimum defense possible
Wingull has its defense lowered by screech to the minimum level
-------------------------------------------
Ditto copies Pikachu
Ditto is holding a light ball
Ditto snatches a charge boost
Electric terrain is active

A Helioptile uses electrify on the same turn it consumes a cutsap berry.Ditto uses me first on a wingull given power trip via mimic, and the resulting hit is critical.

First off, Iron Defense is entirely unnecessary on Shuckle there: Power Split doesn't take any stat boosts into account, only the underlying stats. I still don't know if it even does take Power Trick into account (Shuckle is worthless in the scenario if it doesn't), which is why my most recent plan above (with a runtime of 32 turns) provides separate contingencies for 459, 525, and 613, each representing the maximum attack stat that the respective holder would be able to splice onto Pikachu.

Second, a Ditto that transforms into Pikachu will not get a boost from Light Ball--to the contrary, if Pikachu were able to transform into anything (which is not currently possible under G7 rules with legal sets), Pikachu would still get its Light Ball bonus no matter what form it takes on. This is a non-issue in any case, since stat-grafting means that Pikachu's own movepool is sufficient to stand alone without anyone needing to transform at any point.

Third, Custap Berry isn't currently obtainable in G7 games by any legal means, so the Quick Claw is necessary in its place.

[EDIT] After some in-game tests, I can verify that Power Split does take advantage of what was the defense stat after using Power Trick, so the 613 plan works. There you go: 645,647,940.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)