SS OU I would like help with my first DLC 2 team (I'm pretty bad at buildin teams)

Magmajudis

Title pending
Regieleki @ Magnet
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Cage
- Thunder Wave
- Rapid Spin

This was the starting point of my team. I tought that, havin momentum with Volt Switch was good, trappin pokémons allow for even better contrôle of the momentum, Tinder face helps with a lot of mons, ans rapid spin on the faster Pokemon ever is just something I thought was good as his fourth live. Also, it can't hit ground types, but it allow to force switches, since Regieleki magnet hits so hard with electric types moves.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Steel Beam

The idea behind this set is to simple to put the stealth rock, and then ne table to do damages/put pressure on opponent pokemon, it's just a suicide lead, but it still has use outside of it.

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- X-Scissor
- Knock Off

The idea of this est is to take the momentum with Regieleki/Heatran (I'll get to that later), and then do a lot of damages with the 4 moves.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Even if this Celesteela set is classic,, it plays a big role in the team, with it pressuring a lot ground types that could get Regieleki worried. It also helps against some defensive pokemon.

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Again, a very common set. It proviens good support to the team, and is the only real special tank in team.

Heatran @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Magma Storm
- Flash Cannon
- Will-O-Wisp

The last Pokemon plays three roles: it's a good tank, it pressure a lot of pokémons and avoid fire types to get too powerful, and it's yet another way of getting the momentum with Magma Storm.

What do you think of it ?

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey Magmajudis welcome to Smogon, I see that you made your account earlier today! It definitely is a great time to be getting into competitive Pokemon with the new DLC. Looking at your team I like the idea of keeping up momentum with moves like U-turn and Volt Switch on top of trapping to help get east switches that put you in a favorable position. That said there are definitely a few structural issues, like the excadrill set you're using only really fitting on hyper offensive teams which leaves it out of place on this team. I have some changes that I think could really help your team, while staying consistent with the original theme you built with. That said it's important to understand the meta is going to be constantly changing over the next couple of days, so what's good now might not be tomorrow. I'm going to try and make some generally solid changes that should last a while, but you never know and the team might be outdated next week.

Regieleki is very interesting flaunting the highest speed tier the game has ever seen. with such a high speed tier we get some flexibility when it comes to how much we actually have to invest. I'm suggesting 228 speed evs which will allow you to outpace tier 100's at +1. Meaning you can come in on a Volcarona after a Quiver Dance and still be faster which is nice. Also you had a serious nature in your RMT, which I think might be an error. No matter, I would suggest running a modest nature to get the most out of your SpA. It does make your Rapid Spin Weaker, but you're not really using that move for the damage anyways, more the utility of removing hazards.

>
I really like the idea of using a strong Grass type here, but I think Rillaboom will do the job better than Kartana. It provides a better form of speed control with Grassy Glide, and hits just as hard with Banded Wood Hammer in Terrain. Also the Terrain Rillaboom provides will be really nice for the rest of the team. Pokemon like Heatran with a weakness to ground type moves will appreciate this change. Last generation BuluTran was seen as one of the premiere cores in OU, and I believe RillaTran has the opportunity to be even better this generation. Also Rillaboom will help you keep up with momentum with U-Turn, which fits in great with your team style.

The next change I wanted to discuss was the set on your Heatran. I agree with the idea of going with a trapping Tran, however I wanted to go with a set oriented more towards Stall Breaking. The idea is that you can trap the opponent and then either make the optimal switch or wear down the opposition with Taunt and Toxic. I also recommend a set with max Speed and HP. Max HP will give you some solid bulk, while the speed will help keep up your offensive pressure.

>
I don't love to make changes like this, but I feel it's somewhat necessary given some issues with your initial team. Such as having no Switch in to Urshifu or having Kartana as your only water resist. The team utilizied some excellent mon choices, they just weren't put together with enough synergy to work effectively. Clefable will provide the team with a fairy type, which is simply great to have, while also helping check some notable mons like Urshifu and Zygarde. Toxapex provides the team with an actual answer to rain when paired with Rillaboom, and an answer to Pheromosa who was otherwise dire to deal with. Clefable also provides the team with Stealth Rock, and Toxapex gives the team a Knock Off user which is great to have in a generation ruled by boots. Toxapex also has really great synergy with Rillaboom as it takes advantage of the Terrain alleviating its ground type weakness, and forms a Fire Water Grass core with Tran and Rilla which is amazing to have.

>
I know this is a lot, but this is a change that I feel will really help the team function as effectively as possible. I mentioned earlier that Sash Excadrill doesn't really fit on these types of teams, so we need to replace it. I wanted to go with another Ground type to provide the ground immunity and Landorus-I immideatly jumped to mind. Not only is it an Electric immunity, but it also is a Ground immunity. It has a great speed tier, and since it is special using Earth Power its not effected by the terrain giving great synergy. 3 attacks + either CM or Sub is the set I had in mind. Each have their advantages and I would test both out to see which one you prefer. Overall I feel like this change really helps wrap up the team making it solid overall.

That should pretty much do it. As I mentioned earlier nobody really knows enough about the metagame to make a truly great team right now that pretty much covers everything, but during these unstable times this should be a pretty good start. In a week once some initial bans happen you'll probably need to build something new, but for now this is a solid team archetype that should be usable while testing in this new meta. Hope this helps a bit, and have fun laddering and participating on Smogon!

(Click sprites for an importable)

Magmajudis

Title pending
Thanks a lot for your help Gross Sweep! Just as a side note, if Landorus-I gets banned, should I replace him with Landorus-T ? (Also, I already had a showdown account before, i'm just low ladder so you certainly never heard of me)

i think specs regi is better than magnet. just because it has no coverage and you will mostly be clicking thunderbolt every time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)