Monotype Ice/Hail team- need help

Was jumping around tiers until I found this one, sort of like it and made a team that won more than lost. As for why Ice, it's my favourite type. And a number of mono teams are flying and dragon, so I have a type advantage.

Aurora Borealis (Ninetales-Alola) @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Blizzard
- Pain Split
One of my hail setters. Blizzard is a high base power move which never misses, aurora veil is very useful support, and pain split helps with longevity.

Articuno @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Defog
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
A healer and defogger. Not much of anything else. Actually I use it as death fodder for safe switch-in. I mean, air slash's flinch chance can be annoying, but... really, nothing. I know Cuno is bad, but there really isn't anyone I want to switch in. Suggestions?

Arctozolt @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Stomping Tantrum
Main sweeper. Bolt beak is a really poweful STAB move, especially in hail, and is a must for Ice teams. Blizzard is just for attacking for ground-types and anything else bolt beak can't hit hard, and Freeze-dry super-effectively... oh. That's not needed, is it? I mean, it helps with seismitoad or gastrodon, but I've only seen one toad so far so maybe not. Stomping tantrum is for electric and steel.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- Quick Attack
- Low Kick
Your typical, fast sweeper, but I added Quick attack for combatting priority moves such as bullet punch and Aqua jet. Weavile's high speed always goes first. Triple axel has way too much power, and low kick is a bit random, but works decently. probably for fighting those Rock or Steel teams.

Abomasnow @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Leech Seed
- Block
- Seed Bomb
Aurora veil abomasnow. I never seen it before, so naturally I tested it. works really good, and I don't need to focus on keeping hail setter alive cause I have 2. And anyways, Abomasnow has its uses. leech seed saps the enemy's health, along with block makes them die a slow death. I mean, it doesn't work on substitute, but it's the best I came up with.

Cloyster @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Spikes
- Toxic
I meet so many Steel teams, and they all try to bullet punch/Iron head Abomasnow/Ninetales, so a resist was needed. Plus, it's good for removing entry hazards and poisoning enemies, setting entry hazards, fighting Fire. Vital team member.

Threats:
Out of all the types, Steel. I feel like 1/8 of all teams I meet are Steel, which is really a pain. I lose to them every single time. I remember one battle that lasted forever with leech seed-immune attack resistant Ferrothorn. 22 turns for 1 KO. And none of us were stall teams. On the other hand, Fire isn't that bad... I know this is natural type advantage, but is there a solution?
Close combat. With Cloyster in red, there isn't much to be done and even Arctozolt couldn't outspeed close combat Krookodile.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to Monotype, i will try to help with your team :)
Ice can be an interesting type and as u said it can get good mus against types such as Flying, Dragon, Water and even Ground is pretty easy to win.
You did quite a good job but there are some things to fix.

Major changes:
:kyurem:>:Articuno: Kyurem is one of the best mons in the Monotype metagame, being able to put pressure on types such as Water and Flying and pp-stalling walls such as Celesteela (altho this one can run double Steel STAB to avoid being pp-stalled) The most used and imo the best set is Sub+Roost with Freeze Dry and Earth Power. We then run max Speed and 56 HP EVs to make 101HP subs that can be helpful as it doesn't get broken by seismic toss/night shade.

:piloswine:>:abomasnow: Piloswine is really fat and with Thick Fat it can switch and help against Fire mons such as Blacephalon. It can also run Toxic/Roar/Rock Slide which helps against Volcarona, and it sets Rocks which are always helpful for our breakers such as Weavile and Arcto.

Minor changes:
:ninetales-alola: Freeze Dry>Blizzard Freeze Dry can help a lot vs mons such as Mantine, Gastrodon and Swampert.
We also prefer Encore>Pain Split as Alolatales will probably come in game 2-3 times to set hail for Arcto and we don't need to much longevity, and Encore can really help against annoying walls such as Substitute+Bulk Up Corviknight.

:arctozolt: Naive>Naughty Even under Hail, Arctozolt isn't that fast so we for sure want it to be as fast as possible to outpace slower Scarf users.
Substitute>Stomping Tantrum Sub can be a really good move and can help to avoid getting outpredicted in some situations like against Flying when they can start switching wasting hail turns. Stomping only really hits like Zeraora and Drill so it can be for sure good but i give Sub more value.

:Weavile: Usually u want Weavile to be Scarf as it helps with Speed control and it can clean up types such as Psychic and Ghost. We then use Foul Play>Quick Attack as QA doesn't really hit anything while Foul Play can be a good filler for mons like Bulk Up Zeraora and DD Kyurem.

:cloyster: U did a great Job but I would really use Teleport>Toxic as Teleport can be really great to bring in safely Kyurem and Arctozolt.

The final team would look like this: https://pokepast.es/23e2ba2bf3b6b4db

You said u have problems against Steel, but if u can put rocks and eventually some spikes then Kyurem almost autowins. It easily beats Tran, Choice Speca Aegi and walls Ferrothorn while the only real check to Substitute is Melmetal on which u can just put cloyster and it will take a lot of chip damage from the Helmet. Arcto also does really well and Weavile can eventually be helpful by Knocking Off some items or doing some damage with Low Kick.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any question

Thanks. I'll try that and see.
I want a heal bell/aromatherapy guy tho, or a faster defogger/ rapid spin
But piloswine was great. Kyurem... I don't know. Good, but not as good as 'one of the best mons in the Monotype metagame'. And how exactly does one kyurem beat Steel anyway? More specifically, Ferrothorn?
Oh, and i find stomping tantrum more helpful than Sub for Arcto. I never use it, so swapped in Tantrum again, because it helps with Nihilego. Flyings arent hard to predict. Sometimes they can be, by not switching to lando, but stalling hail turns dont work cause I usually keep ninetales alive

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)