Gen 3 ICONIC

Exiline

Banned deucer.
is a Past SCL Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
the image is clickable !

☀ INTRODUCTION ☀
So, since my Ubers Premier League run is now over and I felt kinda bored and since I also love making RMTs, here we go.
This will also serves as my belated 1000 posts RMT which is also kinda cool I guess.

I first picked up ADV Ubers at the start of the Ubers Championship because I felt that actually mastering a second tier would be really really handy if I wanted to harvest this ribbon because of the tour's format (Bo5, first game USM then the loser picks the next gen between gen 3 to 7, any gens being pickable multiple times), I had a lot of success in champs (going 5-0 in ADV with a swift 2-0 in finals) and it quickly became the tier I'm having the most fun in.
It was only natural that I kept playing it in UPL, I also started to build more stuff since I only used some ZF squad with slight modifications during champs and that team probably is the one I'm the most proud of in ADV Ubers.

I built this team for week 1 where I faced Kushalos who was directly supported by ZF in the teambuilder which meant that I couldn't just stick with some ZF squad but also gave me an advantage since I know ZF pretty well.
The starting idea behind this squad was to build a pretty bulky team with Thunder Wave + Swords Dance Groudon, this particular Groudon set attracted me first because while still being your classic unkillable Groudon, it also is one of the most threatening offensive mon in the tier, being able to bypass every checks your opponent can bring, thunder wave is also broken as fuck lmao.
One of the thing I dislike the most with stall in ADV is the fact that most of them are really slow and have no way to fight back against offenses if your opponent gets some luck that allows them to break through your defensive backbone (looking at you body slam Snorlax) or some well-timed explosion, furthermore some last mon with set-up moves could be really annoying and frustrating to face for stall like Curse Snorlax or mono CM-Refresh Lati@s. With this in mind I really wanted to use something like Mewtwo or Deoxys-A in order to solve these issues, this addition would also allow me to outplay my opponent if needed, meaning my team wouldn't have any "impossible to win-match ups" which is something I absolutely love.
But let's take a deeper look into the teambuilding process!

☀ TEAM BUILDING PROCESS ☀

I obviously started with Groudon as I stated earlier.

I knew I wanted to go with a very bulky archetype, so I just went no brainer and added a Blissey. I know that since I had sun (meaning Kyogre would be less of a pain for my switch in) I could go with something else as a special wall (thinking Umbreon or Snorlax here) but that also meant I would need to use a second Kyogre Check (basically Lati@s) but since I wanted to use some offensive techs I liked the idea of Blissey since it allowed to use a single mon for basically every special attackers while also being the most consistent one by a huge margin.

I then added Deoxys-Attack, this mon is the best revenge killer in the tier while also having zero actual switch in allowing me to destroy most offensive and balanced teamswhile also being very useful against the more stall-ish type of teams.

I used a team featuring SubPass Celebi a lot in the past so the idea seemed evident for me at this point of the build. Celebi really is amazing for someone who wanted to create safe switch in for a frail mon like Deo-A while still being very useful for its defensive ability. It would also allows me to bring Groudon very easily on some stuff like Blissey (Celebi making 404 HPs Sub) or Snorlax (with my Groudon spread, body slam never breaks the sub unless it is Choice Banded or it used Curse before).

Finally, I added a defensive Ho-Oh and Forretress to complete the squad. Physically defensive Ho-Oh checking what was left unchecked by the rest of team and a Phazer while Forretress acted as the Rapid Spinner, allowing me to get rid of any Entry Hazards on the field while also supporting Deoxys and Groudon with its own Spikes.
Since I used Celebi without Magneton, I gave Fire punch to Deoxys with an otherwise Physical set and a Spell Tag since I didn't want to get locked because it would stops me from using the Substitutes offered by Celebi to the maximum of their capacities (and also because I knew ZF liked pursuit trapper such as Umbreon, Metagross or Skarmory a lot). I also gave Forretress Hidden Power Fire for the same reason as I gave Fire Punch to Deoxys, allowing me to alleviates the match up against Skarmory (you're 3HKOing it under sun btw) and opposing Forry which is amazing in a Spikes War.
I also made Blissey CalmMind because SubCM Kyogre would be a huge pain in the ass otherwise.

You can also use
+
over
+
but I didn't got to test this variant much and I'm liking the other one more anyway but that's always an option (make Metagross 4 attacks Leftovers with pursuit if you want to try it).

☀ THE TEAM IN DEPTH ☀

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Swords Dance​

Groudon is used as the lead of the team since you don't really have anything really good as a lead otherwise (Ho-Oh could work here too but it probably would be worse since you don't set-up sun and it reveals more of the team than Groudon). You will switch-out turn 1 almost everytime since you don't want to stay in this early against Kyogre (sun will be up 95% of the time however) nor against any Lati@s, even in a mirror match up, switching on Celebi will be the preferred play because of any possible Toxic.
You will usually want to spread Paralysis with this mon in the early game on targets such as Lati@s, Kyogre or Lugia, and then once your opponent's weak is already weakened you'll switch to a more offensive playstyle and start threatening them with Swords Dance. Groudon being Groudon you're also the top 1 wall of the tier, however you will usually want to preserve Groudon if you can meaning you'll use your other mons to reactively check any threats.
The moveset is pretty standard, Earthquake is the mandatory STAB, Thunder Wave is insanely good for spreading para and is what makes this mon so dangerous in the late game in conjunction with Swords Dance. Swords Dance also allows you to crush Snorlax which would otherwise be able to Curse up on your face. I did pick Rock Slide over HP Ghost because of its superior coverage and also because the ParaFlinch combo can be really deadly at time and can get you out of some desesperate situation.
The EVs spread is pretty standard, max HP, enough defense to never get your Sub (from Celebi) get killed by 252+ atk Snorlax Body Slam while also helping a lot against Banded Deoxys-Attack and the rest in Special Defense making you better against Kyogre, Omastar or the Lati Twins.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled​

Blissey is the best special wall of the tier, it can easily take on Kyogre, Lati@s or Mewtwo (be careful about Self-Destruct from this last one tho). It also is one of your statut absorber with Celebi since you're lacking a Heal Beller.
There is not much to explain here, this is your first switch in to any special sweeper. It can also helps you to spread paralysis thanks to Thunder 30% paralysis chance.
I opted for the CM variant because of SubCM Kyogre which is otherwise destroying any Seismic Toss Blissey. Thunder also helps it to not be totally defenseless against spikers who would abuse its passiveness.
Thunder with sun support could seem weird but you really need it to break Kyogre's Sub and you'll only really need Thunder against Kyogre anyway.
This EVs spread is as standard as it can, there is no speed creep since you won't ever need it since there is no point in a Blissey CM war.

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Recover
- Baton Pass
One of the key member of the team. Celebi is immensively useful with its ability to take down any Snorlax in conjunction to Ho-Oh and Groudon, while also being able to perfectly check Groudon itself (SubSalac Groudon is always HP Ghost meaning Ho-Oh is walling it and Groudon never has both Rock Slide and Hidden Power Ghost). It can also beat Metagross if it doesn't get any raises or if you manage to get a dodge.
Celebi also is excellent at PP stalling your opponent thanks to Recover 32 PP and its access to SubSeed.
Groudon and Deoxys-A heavily appreciates Celebi's SubPassing ability, making them even more threatening than they already are while also making your opponent unable to play too passively against Celebi.
The 252 EVs in HP are needed in order to get a 404 HPs Sub hence resisting Blissey's Seismic Tosses. The 136 Speed EVs allow you to hit 270 Speed, making you faster than 252 Heracross and most Kyogre/Groudon/Ho-Oh. The remaining EVs were invested in defense with a Bold Nature in order to take Snorlax and Groudon hits better.

Deoxys-Attack @ Spell Tag
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch​

The 2nd star of the show. Deoxys-Attack actually is insanely broken in ADV, it has a lot of viable sets (mainly CB and Spell Tag with different possible coverages and SubPetaya). I went with a Spell Tag Deo-A, allowing me to threaten Lati@S, Mewtwo and Snorlax while also being able to abuse Sub better than a CB variant would do.
I did pick Fire Punch as the 4th move because my team can be quite lacking against any fire type at first glance while it also does a good chunk on any defensive Groudon trying to switch in. Spell Tag also is amazing at bluffing Choice Band and surprising your opponent with an unexpected Superpower/Shadow Ball.
The EVs spread is pretty straightforward, maximum atk and speed. A positive speed nature isn't really needed since Deoxys is faster than the whole tier unboosted (Agility Metagross, Salac Berry Pokémons, or Weather Ability) and you really want that bit of extra power against fatter stuff like Snorlax or Defensive Latias. A Lonely Nature (- def) is used over a Naughty one (- spdef) allowing you to take less from pursuit which is special in gen3 (you can't switch out of Metagross or Umbreon tho, but uninvested Skarmory is never killing you with a Pursuit on the switch + 1 spike).

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 100 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Fire
- Whirlwind
- Recover​

Ho-Oh is the last piece of the amazing wall that team is, with its great defensive stats and advantageous typing making it immune to spikes while also resisting Meteor Mash are making it a real pain to kill for any form of offense (which will usually have to explode on you with their Metagross/Snorlax).
Shadow Ball is pretty useful for taking care of the Lati@s, while Sacred Fire is boosted under sun and is really nice against Offenses with its sweet 50% burn chance. Whirlwind is used here over the more classic Toxic allowing you to phaze Snorlax or MonoCM Latias if you don't wanna deal with them thanks to Groudon and Blissey respectively. Whirlwind can also be a pain for stalls/balances if some layers of spikes are up. Pressure is also what makes Ho-Oh so annoying, especially paired with 32 PP Recover.
Ho-Oh was EV'ed in order to never getting 2HKO'ed by Banded Lugia's Aeroblast (it has a high crit ratio but thanks to pressure Lugia can only click that button 4 times which is usually enough, especially since you also have Groudon and Forretress for it) while also taking care of Banded Deoxys-Attack (be careful about a possible Rock Slide/HP Rock which would murders you, Double Edge can also be annoying since it 2HKOes you although Deoxys is taking a shitton from the recoil). It's also interesting to not that you always live Heracross's Rock Slide/HP Rock from full. I don't exactly remember what those 80 Atk EVs do but you're always 2HKOing Latios and non defensive Lati@s which is cool. The rest was dumped in SpDef in order to take Lati@s and special Deo-A hits better (you get 2HKOed by Thunder but well you have the sun I guess).

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin​

Forry act as the spinner of this team which is really crucial since I only have one spikes immunity and can spikers get a lot of opportunity to set spikes against this team. It also has Spikes itself which is pretty useful in order to support Deoxys and in order to disturb balances.
I decided to use Hidden Power Fire on this forretress in order to improve my match-up against other spikers such as Skarmory and opposing Forretress.
The 4th move is quite free here, I opted for Toxic but Earthquake to catch an incoming Magneton or Explosion can also be used (rememer to change the nature then), Counter could also be used to get some suprise KOs I guess.
Max HP/SpDef EVs because you don't really need much more defense and being more solid against Special Deoxys-Attack is always nice (that's the team number 1 threat, keep in mind those do not carry extreme speed tho). The 16 Speed EVs are only here to speed creep opposing forrtresses since you have HP Fire.
The team can look weak to a spiker + magneton team but usually those kind of teams are very weak against my Deo-A set so I wouldn't qualifiy this match-up as bad despite how it can look.

☀ IMPORTABLE ☀

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Swords Dance

Blissey @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Recover
- Baton Pass

Deoxys-Attack @ Spell Tag
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 100 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Fire
- Whirlwind
- Recover

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

☀ CONCLUSION ☀
Overall I'm very satisfied with how this turned in, as I think I succeeded on building the kind of team I wanted (see Introduction), especially since this team won the match it was built for (replay), I also used it again in week 4 but I got ended by a SubCM Kyogre after my Blissey got critted which was pretty unfortunate. This was still a nice UPL and I enjoyed my time with the Dialgas.
Now that every tour i'm playing in is close to an end or is already over and that school is taking more and more time from me + the fact that summer is coming near I'll probably take a break from seriously playing Pokémon for at least until Pokémon Sword&Shield Release so this probably will be my last contribution for a long time.
Hoping you'll like the team as much as I do!

wyc2333

A=X+Y+Z Y: Hard Work
i'm glad to read the first adv ubers rmt in team showcase.
btw how to deal with boom mewtwo? boltbeam mewtwo can only be walled safely by bliss (although u can use ho-oh in sun to handle it, it's unreliable), so the mind game is annoying. if bliss is fainted, an opp's ogre will be unstoppable.

Last edited:

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
i'm glad to read the first adv ubers rmt in team showcase.
btw how to deal with boom mewtwo? boltbeam mewtwo can only be walled safely by bliss (although u can use ho-oh in sun to handle it, it's unreliable), so the mind game is annoying. if bliss is fainted, an opp's ogre will be unstoppable.
Stall without a protect user in general has an issue with BoltBeam+Boom Mewtwo. You either have to make sure Kyogre is gone so you can look at checking it with Blissey which doesn't always die to boom (4- Atk Mewtwo Self-Destruct vs. 8 HP / 248 Def Blissey: 560-659 (85.7 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery) or you trade 1 for 1 with something depending on the state of the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)