SM OU Im new in OU, please rate my team:

Heya guys,

I'm new in OU and currently im playing a Rain Dance Team. I dont know if my EV spreads are good or bad, or which attacks I should replace. I hope you guys can help me out here.

Rain Dance Team

Azelf @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Rain Dance
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The game begins with Azelf. Hidden Power Ice deals with things like Garchomp as a Hazard Setter or other things. Shadow Ball deals with things like Mew as a starter. Since Heatran is extremely weak when it comes to ground attacks, I needed a Pokemon with Levitate, and Azelf does his job great. Azelf also checks Pokemon like Landorus or Mimikyu.

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

Gyarados-Mega is one of the heavy hitters in my team. Gyarados-Mega is also a great Pivot to Heatran when things are getting wet. Gyarados-Mega checks things like Tyranitar, Garchomp, Charizard or Excadrill.

Manaphy @ Lum Berry
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam
- Scald

My favorite Pokemon is Manaphy, so I built the team around it. Manaphy is also a great Pivot for Heatran and it is easy to switch between those two. Tail Glow is just awesome, it makes Manaphy the next heavy hitter on my team. Manaphy checks alot of things like Sumpex, Geninja, Landorus, Excadrill, Toxapex, Heatran, Cacturne, Rhydon, Cloyster or Mega-Diancie.

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 134 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Def / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- X-Scissor

Scizor here is bulky and is a great Pivot. Since yet he killed things like Ninetales and Mr. Mime.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch

Tapu Koko is the next heavy hitter with alot speed and checks things like Toxapex, Greninja, Hawlucha or Hydreigon.

Heatran @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 52 Def / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon

If I get in trouble with Tapu Koko, Manaphy or Gyarados then Heatran is a great pivot. Heatran deals with things like Scizor, Tapu Koko, Celesteela, Kartana and Exeggutor.

Videos of the Rain Dance Team:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-753629227
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-753660415
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-753663773

Thanks for your help!

Cheers, Florian​

Last edited:
Make Heatran a bulky toxic user and you need a defogger/rapid spiner and dont have 2 pkm with rain dance and switch stone edge for eq for mega Gyaradosite

Hey I'm gonna attempt to sort this team out. It is definitely very original but I see a lot of issues with sets and moveslots. Even certain Pokemon on this team just don't fit very well. For example heatran just doesn't appreciate rain at all as water types are boosted and it's fire stab is weakened.

Threats:

1) Tapu Koko or any electric type for that matter absolutely runs through this team because you have no switch in.

2) Ash Greninja also has a field day enjoying the rain being set up for it and sweeping as your best switch in is one of your breakers.

3) Grass types such as kartana and ferrothorn you struggle with quite a bit as well.

4) You have no rock or defog user.

These are just a few of many flaws I would say with the team.

Changes:

1) I would run Pelipper over Heatran to begin with as it automatically sets up rain with drizzle. With damp rock it lasts 8 turns which saves you having to run rain dance on almost every mon. It also provides you with defog and a better answer to lando (without Edge) and other physical threats.

2) Next I advice removing lum berry from manaphy as it is pointless. You have rain setters and hydration cures it of its status. For the time being I'm going to suggest leftovers.

3) Next you need to fix the obvious electric and water weakness and I would do this by replacing azelf with Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn checks koko, gren etc. And sets up spikes which is beneficial for your team.

4) I would change the tapu koko set to a Fairium Z set. I personally don't use rain much so I don't know the optimal set but this is what I assume is run. Thunder is 100% accurate in rain and dazzling is for zygarde for example or lati@s. HP ice to hit those ground types like lando.

5) Personally I think your kartana matchup is still shaky which is why I would recommend running Tornadus over Scizor. Non mega scizor isn't that viable in ou and you say it helps vs Mr mime which is an interesting choice to point out. Tornadus is really nice for this team checking kartana and acting as another answer to lando bar edge etc. It gets a 100% accurate hurricane in rain which is really nice and I decided to run superpower because defog is on Pelipper. This let's you bop tyranitar after some previous dmg.

6) Finally I would personaly run mega swampert over gyarados. This is mainly because you can run rocks on this freeing up a slot on ferrothorn and it stops volt switchs from koko and magearna for example. It appreciates rain support obviously as it gets that speed boost. With the Pelipper and Tornadus changes whom are already weak to rock I would advice against running gyarados too.

I know I changed a lot but the team was a bit underwhelming and inconsistent. I hope these changes help if you need anything explaining feel free to ask.

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 216 HP / 40 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Edit: I realise you did have a stealth rock user so my bad there but I would rate swampert over azelf on rain. As azelf is for HO

Just additional info, feel free go change up movesets on koko for example such as shuca set, electrium z etc. You could also try rocks and spikes on Ferro over knock off so swampert can run Pup, Edge etc.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)