SV OU I'M SO HOOD (Goodra-Hisui Balance) [Peaked #5, 84.6 GXE 1974 ELO]

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

1702268647036.png

Shoutout to VicBossMG for helping me peak with this team (Freedom paz)

:sv/Goodra-Hisui: :sv/Zapdos: :sv/Cinderace: :sv/Rillaboom: :sv/Kingambit: :sv/Garganacl:

Background:

I needed a team for the week of OUPL, I had a base of a team I used in the past but I had to update it based on some of the trends happening in todays meta. The team was initially based off of Garganacl, this is in my opinion Garganacls best set currently, can vary with Tera etc, but for the most ladder consistency I would say best is Tera Fairy. Kingambit is the best offensive mon in the tier, it doesn't take much effort to use and when used in conjunction with Rillaboom / Grassy Terrain it makes it a very appealing sweeper. Cinderace is one of the best Pokemon in the tier, I feel like with Gholdengo in the tier it's' really hard to justify any other hazard removal /changer. Physically Defensive Zapdos is a real problem, I think Zapdos best set with all the powerful physical attackers in the tier it does a decent job with soaking up hits and threatening mons like Great Tusk with a static para and Hurricane.

1702304305310.png
1702269521279.png
1702304317422.png

Goodra-Hisui @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 4 SpA / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Acid Armor
1702303908988.png

- Body Press
1702303918873.png

- Dragon Tail / Fire Blast
1702303928676.png

- Flash Cannon
1702303940729.png

The star of the show, I have to give credit to Mimikyu Stardust for the set, there's essentially no difference outside I went for Dragon Tail for phazing threatening attackers in general over Ice Beam and the EVs are a bit different, decided to go more special defense and drop the speed EVs completely. I went with Tera Poison since this team has a pretty big opening when it comes to Fairys hitting neutrally outside of Cinderace pre tera. Goodra-Hisui really likes the 12% passive health heal with Grassy terrain on the field. Essentially this is one of the slots I changed from the original team, I had Crawdaunt which didn't do much outside pure power Goodra does quite a bit defensively, I was noticing on the ladder I had quite a few issues against Zapdos pivoting, Ogerpon Wellpspring coming in free, Greninja causing havoc (decently), Booster Energy Iron Valiant without Encore. Body Press / Acid Armor can get quite threatening with the health boosts per turn because if you pile enough nothing can really touch you with the 1/2 damage from EQ.

1702304327981.png
1702304337058.png

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
1702303950339.png

- Volt Switch
1702303957600.png

- Hurricane
1702303963225.png

- Thunder Wave
1702303973692.png

Came up with this specific EVs (I didn't discover it or anything but I've been using it) felt like ever since Baxcaliburs ban I don't think Zapdos needs to run 301 speed, this is a very DPP type of EV spread. The point is essentially to paralyze anything that U-Turns and if you don't get the proc, go ahead with the Thunder Wave, it's 1/3 mons that pivot on this team, it's your physical wall / mixed wall. You never click Tera, Hurricane and Volt Switch are standard. I go with Thunder Wave > Discharge / U-Turn combo because I want to make sure without a chance something gets paralyzed. Zapdos is a pretty important member, it is here to diminish any threatening walls with paralysis since this team isn't too fast. It is a pretty good abuser in the current meta, you can consider Tera Poison over Tera Ground. Not much else to say outside it being one of the Knock Absorbers outside Goodra-Hisui.

1702304346908.png
1702304348388.png

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
1702304006202.png

- U-turn
1702303992654.png

- Swords Dance
1702303983671.png

- Court Change
1702303985284.png

Okay, not going to lie I made this crack-head set. So essentially I realized that this team had issues with full on stall team, but I needed to have Court Change because to make a team viable you need some sort of entry hazard changer / removal. Pyro Ball hits so hard if you have the Blaze boost activated in conjunction with Swords Dance and if you really need to hit to over drive you have Tera Fire which I use sometimes. U-Turn is just used to pivot since a lot of things take on Pyro Ball pretty well but a lot of things dont in OU, so that's why I abuse it. This is my 3rd RMT and the 3rd time and I'm using Cinderace so you can tell how high I rate Cinderace overall. This set has saved me a lot of games just because of Cinderaces overall speed and power when Blaze is activated. Some funny calcs

+2 252 Atk Blaze Tera Fire Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ting-Lu: 594-700 (115.5 - 136.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Blaze Tera Fire Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 300-354 (56.1 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Blaze Tera Fire Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 430-508 (99 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Blaze Tera Fire Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 195-230 (57 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

1702304358581.png
1702304359918.png

Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
1702304016542.png

- U-turn
1702303995469.png

- Knock Off
1702304115726.png

- Drain Punch
1702304123226.png

Okay another set that I came up with, initially I had Swords Dance / Wood Hammer but I realized that I wanted pivoting on this Pokemon because a lot of things switch in on it like Zapdos (Don't get static) and Dragonite. So not doubling or stressing out on a predict you can just U-Turn. Drain Punch hits Kingambit all the time and for some reason they never see it coming, same with Steel types, Knock Off is standard and needed in this meta, and Grassy Glide is your only grass move plus does a lot if you do decide to tera which I do maybe 1-2% of the time (Get Court Change to put some hazards :]). The EV spread is to outspeed base 100 speeds with minimal speed EVs ontop, the 120 HP is to give Rillaboom unexpected bulk from expected calcs, works pretty well especially when you have Drain Punch in the back it will allow you to have multiple lives.

252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Grass Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant in Grassy Terrain: 239-283 (82.6 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Grass Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring in Grassy Terrain: 252-299 (83.7 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

1702304369443.png
1702304375438.png

Kingambit @ Lum Berry
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Fighting / Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Kowtow Cleave
1702304099561.png

- Swords Dance
1702304079849.png

- Low Kick
1702304093041.png

- Sucker Punch
1702304101612.png

Standard Kingambit, greatest mon in the tier and it isn't close, we went with Tera Fighting to break stall essentially while keeping a Dark resist (Type) vs opposing gambits. So I tried Black Glasses and it's pretty consistent but with all the status spreading going around especially with Zapdos I really prefer to surprise and keep myself healthy if I can. I would say optional teras would be Tera Dark or Tera Fairy. Low Kick is a must even though Fairys are so threatening but Kingambit in general is problematic to this team and that's why we go with full speed Adamant and we usually have to sack Zapdos get it paralyzed so you don't risk the speed tie and scout out the tera on a double.

1702304385494.png
1702304386546.png

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Salt Cure
1702304069889.png

- Curse
1702304044465.png

- Earthquake
1702304025341.png

- Recover
1702304077186.png

This is pretty standard, but I go full on SpD with Garganacl because it makes it almost un-killable outside of the Gholdengo switch-ins, I have seen an uptick on the temporary Cover Cloak usage but it will for sure be temporary like it always is. As I mentioned before I think in this meta, this is Gargs best set, the tera can vary but I like Fairy overall since Zamazenta can be threatening. Other options I've had success with is Tera Poison / Tera Water / Tera Electric. EQ + Grassy Terrain might be counter intuitive but it isn't because most the time you're not Earthquaking until you really get to setup with Curse. Salt Cure is broken and so is Nacl and I do think it should eventually be suspect tested, I've been saying it for a while. This thing is usually the Pokemon sweeping at the end of the game, you usually just have to clear the threats to it namely Gholdengo, Iron Moth (Sludge Wave) and Encore. Also make sure to scout out what Dengo set the opposition has (Choiced, Covert Cloak, no Make It Rain, etc). This is the MVP of the team but depending on some matchups it does absolutely nothing so you have to realize when not to dedicate terastilizing this Pokemon.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008864071-j1l9dniodxnsq1l27bw6lwkn4nn2mzzpw [Vs Take Me To Your Leader (Salamence BO)]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008847420-im1ab0d0swixtjcnnwbz9cv0slx7obxpw [Vs Zamazenta HO]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008812422-7ts93rq6w2jkmn0hc7vp2trjjwi4feipw [Vs Ting Lu / Clef Balance]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008808170-h3ls2c00vla1aevxpyf3drfvytjupz9pw [Vs TheSergio235]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008805625-xhf0r5e2a6qwfq7gn8j9ypnka4b52eqpw [Vs Webs]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008782883-180r023whr3semtfe76ac9o3lyska4fpw [Vs Webs again]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008392075-winrf757es4bsr5ndykrteh5yeqvkeypw [Example when not to Tera Garg]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008321131-595r2z074i8ak8votmojzovbch9bnpepw [How Garg sweeps]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008283170-8b921mnay8luzso3oy67x67qmuz5i60pw [Vs Ting Lu / Clef Balance Rematch]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008266332-0i3um5j7ei6s6spnflef4e0kf44rjrgpw [Vs Pinkacross' Thundurus-Therian team]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008219286-lz1twl68srfyfme7ws7tzb5ziv806e4pw [Vs Webs redux]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008201917-qmyuytiun9ao5bdppzwmu4fnxo8lqgxpw [Garg preps Kingambit to close game]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008108307-54eple8xl97vktavn66quf59dftwqstpw [Vs Semi-Stall / Balance]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2008093712-igk76pbl43z132myqfoewwve4r78yrwpw [Vs Balance]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2007881651-1n6mt9z9h17vigtjny5rs2wbetup1kvpw [Vs Diplin]

VicBossMG thank you for being my bro and being there for me when I need to clean up this team (appreciate you brother! you are a great player and deserve more attention)
1LDK yeah bro I appreciate your jokes sometimes and you always help me get out of a bad mood (my dog)
matte yeah you can get annoying sometimes but you're my RMT student so I got your back, keep up the good work
BIG loven Happy birthday bro, love ya! XAT bros for life
Taka Got to shoutout my guy for improving so much the last months as a player and just getting the respect they deserve
Javi my last tutee Javi for just being a great learner of the game and always improving and being a genuine person
SpookyZ fuck you, but you're my guy
Ina fable being a very good friend to me, I wish you continued success
Wildfiree shoutout to my dude for finally getting his long deserving badge LGI
phosphor for being a excellent friend and always willing to improve the B101 program, keep it up!
maroon for just being a good friend and an awesome co-leader
Nichalho my guy, keep joining tournament!
LudwigFrog for being my favorite ladder hero
Lasen for the NBA memes
Zest of Life for keeping the NBA thead popping
adem for being adem
SpaceSpeakers for being my biggest fan and me being theirs :3
Lialiabeast my gr33k br0ther best 1v1 player of all time
a fairy For being a long time friend of mine from the past!
Shoutout to my NDFL and OUPL team for being awesome supportive cast

Threatlist

:alomomola: + :slowking-galar: + :ting-lu: - Specifically this combo makes it very tough for Garganacl to setup, with Alom essentially using Chilling Water to drop my attack, switch in for Slowking for the Future Sight spam + Ting Lu with the Whirlwind and setting up entry hazard in your face with wish support in the back, usually for games like these I don't tera Garg, and lean towards Kingambit.

:choice specs: :iron valiant: / :enamorus: - With great support this team doesn't use entry hazard so if your opposition realizes that and have one of these Pokemon it can be extremely tough. Nothing switches into a Choice Specs Moonblast, Cinderaces dies in 2, so you have to play 10/10 to give yourself a chance since the most probable outcome is tera-ing Goodra-Hisui which might feel like a waste but in a emergency might be dire.

:gholdengo: - It's not the end of the world when this Pokemon is on the opposing team but you can't setup Nacl until you take it down, You have to keep switching in Kingambit / Cinderace and make sure it's not choiced so you don't get tricked. If you have Fire Blast on Goodra-H it might be the move to just go 1 for 1 but it always depends on the set.

:zamazenta: - This Pokemon is not really an issue if you keep Garganacl healthy but on the off chance it has Iron Head + Tera Steel you might be in problem because if haxxed correctly you can get swept by this thing. Even if Garg dies, the Iron Defense set is a huge problem for this team so you have to play extremely careful in not letting Garg die.

Last edited:
at the start i though u where washed, we back awyp gang (ur music choice is ASS tho, whhy u saggin ur pants, i thought ur a proper gentleman)

stayy strong my mentor :swole:
(also wow second time that a hoodra got to high ladder) good off meta pick??

Last edited:

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
at the start i though u where washed, we back awyp gang (ur music choice is ASS tho, whhy u saggin ur pants, i thought ur a proper gentleman)

stayy strong my mentor :swole:
(also wow second time that a hoodra got to high ladder) good off meta pick??
This is a throwback song, and the only thing I thought of when I thought of HOODRA.

Glad to help, definitely had fun with the team, fuck dengo, but we garg bros never stop climbing
Lets ban Gholdengo once and for all

:sphearical:

-------

RMT edit completed, cleaned it up and nothing more to add, hope you like the team!

Excellent RMT awyp! Team is awesome, fingers crossed you don't draw choice specs val with it though lolz! Keep up the good work my dude!

I'm always glad to get a shoutout despite having not contributed. Played a few games with the team, and it's really cool. Garg is still a menace after all this time. As a proper RMT note, Goodra is a female in the pokepaste, but the rest of them are not :smogthink:

Congrats on the team though man. I'll try to make one myself one of these days.

awyp

I'm a cat person, so I approve this message.

Excellent RMT awyp! Team is awesome, fingers crossed you don't draw choice specs val with it though lolz! Keep up the good work my dude!
Thank you COALLA! and thank you for your insightful stuff about things to fix on the team and thanks for testing it out bro!

Very strong team made me build more garg countermeasures into mine very cool (i hate goodra h)
Yeah if there was a way for Dengo to get banned and actually force entry hazard this team would be S tier.

I'm always glad to get a shoutout despite having not contributed. Played a few games with the team, and it's really cool. Garg is still a menace after all this time. As a proper RMT note, Goodra is a female in the pokepaste, but the rest of them are not :smogthink:

Congrats on the team though man. I'll try to make one myself one of these days.
Waiting on it for you to drop a RMT :3

Yup

Very flames
Thank you! great job on your recent RMT as well its fire!
well well well

We meet again.
Don't delete your comment again :psysly:

Goodra-Hisui (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
- Acid Armor
- Body Press
- Flash Cannon
- Dragon Tail

-1 Def ; +7 SpDef
The old homie McMeghan long time since I've seen you on RMT bud, I totally agree with your set and it's something I'd personally change as well

Great team my man, I have seen it a couple times in ladder already and it performs really well!
Thank you bro! keep kicking ass!

Zest of Life

Banned deucer.
Just saw this now brotha, props on a fire build! I’m def gonna dabble in OU once the new DLC drops tomorrow. Can’t wait to try this heat out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)