SM UU In My Life

Hello, as some of you probably know me, I'm SIckist. I've been on Smogon on several accounts since 2014. However, I usually lurked around and played randbatz until around 2016. That's when I started to learn. I began with OU and Ubers, and then discovered my favorite tier: SM UU. I have made many friends along the way that have helped me grow as a player, and as a person. This RMT will be my reflection on how far I've come as a player in my favorite tier, but not as a stopping line. No, this is only a marker that I'm only 1/3 of the way. This RMT also is dedicated to all of my friends that have helped me get this far. So here's to them, and let's get into this.

(Click Sprites for Importable)

This RMT will be divided into 5 Sections:

Teambuilding Process
Later Editions
In-depth Look
Threatlist
Thanks and Final Thoughts

Teambuilding Process

I started off with one of the most reliable pokemon I have had the pleasure to use throughout UU, Mega Steelix. It provides Stealth Rocks support, Acts as a Latias, Altaria, and Scizor answer, and even potentially a cleaner with Curse in low ladder games. It's ascetically pleasing as well, it just has so much going for it. It is by far my favorite Mega in the tier. Enough Jibberjabber about how cool it is though, Mega Steelix is one of the best Megas in the tier, boasting naturally amazing stats for what it does, many options to run like Curse, Toxic, Fire Fang, etc. Overall, it's a very solid pick these days.

Primarina and Steelix tend to synergize very well, as they cover each other's weaknesses quite well. Primarina can handle the majority of Water, Fighting, Ground, and Fire types with it's amazing Water/Fairy dual typing and respectable natural bulk. Meanwhile, Steelix can answer the majority of Steel, Poison, Grass, and Electric types with their sights aimed at Primarina. On this team, Primarina is acting as a bulky pivot that can come in on the aftermentioned Water, Fighting, Ground, and Fire Types that scare Steelix out. It also has the two most spammable moves in the game, Scald and Moonblast, which are both very annoying to come in on, resulting in either a Burn or a Special Attack drop on whatever is coming in.

Despite Sage bullying Hydreigon back into the A+ rank, It's still one of the best pokemon in the tier. With the ability to act as a scarfer, breaker, defogger, stallbreaker, as well as other roles on builds variating from Offense to Stall, Hydreigon is certainly one of UnderUsed's most versatile threats. On this team, we are using it as a Scarfer, which allows us to revenge kill the majority of pokemon in the tier, barring ones that have priority, such as Infernape or a boosted Scizor. Hydreigon also forms a very solid Steel/Fairy/Dragon core with Primarina and Steelix, which is very hard to switch into on the offensive side, and can be annoying to try and break from the defensive standpoint.

With the main core of 3 complete, I looked at what I needed next. Electrics, particularly Manectric looked very irritating, as Hydreigon and Steelix could not reliably switch in over and over, as both lack recovery and or don't like coming on Fire Coverage (Steelix). I also lacked a defogger at this point, and a way to get in my 3 mons so far, so Gligar looked like a reliable choice. Gligar brings to the table a Toxic immunity, reliable recovery in Roost, access to U-turn which allows us to pivot in on things, and a stellar dual typing in Ground/Flying. Gligar overall helps my matchup vs other threats such as SD Bugium Scizor, (very slightly, but I'll take what I can get). Gligar also forms a nice hazard core with Steelix.

Stall is actually not my least favorite thing to run into on the ladder yet. I much less prefer fighting Hyper Offense as opposed to stall. None the less, it is still a problem for what I had currently in my builder, so Terrakion was chosen. Shoutout to my good friend itsjustdrew for the set, as well as overall improving the team to it's final form. A well played Terrakion is by far the scariest thing to run into on the ladder, because of what it can run. Banded blows away any chance of Gligar being a Stone Edge switch-in, where SD Rockium just blows back Slowbro, and Banded Earthquake invalidates Doublade in 2 turns. Overall, this thing is scary, but when used with Toxic, it can annoy stall to no end.

Finally, I needed a reliable Primarina answer, a way to discourage things from U-turning all of the time, a defensive backbone, and a overall pivot into water types. Whatever else I'm forgetting, Amoongus fit the bill. It has an amazing ability in Regenerator, access to Spore, good stats, and a decent typing. It also is the most annoying thing to low ladder, to the point where I now have to scout for Z Air Slash Mantine or Z Bounce Zeraora. Overall, Amoongus is a defensive behemoth, that can sleep and weaken anything that wants to try and U-turn or Settup on it.

Later Addtions

As previously mentioned, the team obviously looked a bit different before Drew came along and helped me. Terrakion and Primarina were actually Latias and Sylveon. Obviously those changes were made, which benefitted the team. Amoongus has also switched items various times, as I am quite indecisive of whether Rocky Helmet or Black Sludge benefits the build more. The last move on Gligar has also shifted some, variating from U-turn to Knock off, to Taunt, back to U-turn. Anymore permanent changes will either be marked here or when I redo this RMT later in my career.

In-Depth Look

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Atk / 48 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Curse

Earthquake is Steelix's Primary STAB attack, hitting everything that isnt immune or resistant to it for decent damage. Gyro Ball nails faster threats really hard, and acts as a Secondary STAB. Stealth Rocks are Stealth Rocks, and we all know what those do by now. Curse allows Steelix to 1v1 Swords Dance Scizor, as well as even take on things like Gligar if need be.

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Scald is a very spammable STAB attack that threatens anything coming in with a burn, potentially crippling them for the match. Moonblast is Primarina's secondary STAB, hitting Dragons as well as fighting and darks for super effective damage. Rest and Sleep Talk allow Primarina to heal itself, while not being a sitting duck for those 2 sleep turns.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Draco Meteor hits everything that isn't resistant to it or specially defensive REALLY HARD. Like it does at least 40% to everything that isnt immune, specially bulky, or resistant to it. Dark Pulse acts as a consistant STAB, even plowing through things with cheesy flinches 20% of the time. Fire Blast hits Steel Types like Cobalion and Klefki that would want to switch in on Hydreigon's Dragon and Dark attacks. Finally, U-turn allows Hydreigon to nail something and then switch out, generating momentum.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Knock Off / Taunt
- Roost
- Defog

Earthquake allows Gligar to not be a sitting duck in the face of Taunt users suchs Nidoking, Chesnaught, etc. U-turn allows Gligar to pivot out of these unfavorable matchups, Taunt allows Gligar to prevent Defog, Wishpassing, Healing, etc. from anything slower, and Knock Off removes the opposing pokemon's item, such as opposing Gligar or Doublade's eviolite. Roost allows Gligar to consistently remain healthy throughout a game, making it last longer vs things like Zeraora, Cobalion, Terrakion, and Mega Manectric. Defog removes hazards from the field, overall improving the longevity of all of my team.

Terrakion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Close Combat and Stone Edge are Terrakion's hard hitting STABs, threatening a large chunk of the tier with super-effective damage. Swords Dance boosts Terrakion's attack so it can break through Stall and Fatter teams easier. Toxic pressures Quagsire and Palossad, 2 of Terrakion's checks on stall. Fightinium is used over rockium here to nab things like Hippowdon and Swampert, that would come in on a resisted Z Stone Edge.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spore

Giga Drain gives Amoongus some recovery, as well as hitting Water types like Crawdaunt and Swampert for super effective damage. Clear Smog(on) acts as a pseudo haze, removing all stat changes from whatever gets hit with it. Hidden Power Fire hits Scizor for 4x effective damage, allowing for Amoongus to 1v1 Scizor. Spore puts things to sleep. That's it. That's all it does.

Threat list

The team has a decent overall matchup vs most metagame threats, but these in particular are annoying or just scary:

Nothing really switches into Dazzling Gleam variants here. With correct prediction, Celebi gets dispatched by Hydreigon. Still a pain to deal with though.

There are 0 ways to actually 1v1 this thing on this team without PP stalling it with Amoongus. Synthesis variants are particularly irritating to the point where I have ripped out hair. Spore is basically free with Sludge Bomb variants of Amoongus.

Banded Swampert is a monster for this team. With correct prediction, everything kinda gets bopped by it.

Thanks and Closing Thoughts

I'm not going to say every name in 1 giant paragraph, but I'll divide this up in the best way I can. Thanks to everyone who made this list, or didn't. Either way you've made a small contribution to make me a better person or player.

itsjustdrew TPP Euphonos Sage Accelgor vivalospride 'sei.

You 7 have directly all made me a better person, whether it be by encouraging me and helping me up when I fall, giving me a role model to look up to, or showing me reality and what to expect and be prepared for. Thanks for all of that, each and every one of you. I won't let you down.

A Cake Wearing A Hat pokeisfun faded love BackAtYouBro Scizorphobic Twilight Amane Misa Donphantastic explodingdaisies

You all put up with my shenanigans in the UU room, and joke with me, correct me and guide me, or teach me new things I never knew. I appreciate you all for that and I hope I can one day teach you all something worthwhile in trade. Thanks for that.

locri laser火circus Ske Srn volcanionisgood LL and any others that don't have smogon accounts

Thanks for being cool dudes and actually talking and joking with me. I respect you all and hopefully I will become good enough and well established enough as a player and a person for you to respect me too.

Thanks to TPP and Gross Sweep for putting up with me accidentally posting my RMTs in the past too fast. Cool-downs are things I need to remember :psygrump:

Finally, special thanks to ABR, 'sei, itsjustdrew, and TPP for sharing rough days with me. It's been tough but you all have helped me to shine through my darkest hours. It's thanks to you all mentioned and many more users on Pokemon Showdown that I am the player that I am and am striving to be. Thanks for everything.

In conclusion, this is only the first step of many in my voyage as a player and a person. I have yet to finish High School or Get a job that doesn't make me want to become a government official during the French Revolution, and have yet to top ladder or even make it to the big league stages of SPL and UUPL/OUPL. I still have lots of improvements to make, times to share, and laughs to enjoy with all of you, so I thank you all for reading and shaping me to be who I am.

Thanks for the shoutout Sickist appreciate it dude. Honestly this team is really solid and there isn't a whole lot I would change to this squad. For this rate I'll focus on the core of MegaLix + Primarina which you began with and work from there as they compliment eachother well. The one Mon I found pretty strange to add was Gligar as it isn't adding a whole lot to this team defensively other than a more surefire answer to Terrakion which both Prima and Amoonguss soft check. I know you mention it is to ease the Manec match-up, but it is very common for them to run HP [Ice] in this meta. It also doesn't beat bulky SD variants of Scizor well at all, in fact it can simply use Gligar as set-up fodder. With that in mind there was only a few changes I felt needed to be made:

Major Changes:

>
: I replaced Gligar with Rotom-H which gives this team a way to combat Pokemon like Moltres more effectively for MegaLix. It also gives you another switch-in to Scizor and Malt. While Rotom-H can be over-worked as a Scizor + Defog user, I think it is fine here with MegaLix checking Scizor + Terrakion pressuring flying types for it. It helps a lot against the electric types like Manectric that could be annoying for you to play around. Very standard set here with Toxic in the last slot.

>
(Optional Change) : This is kind of optional as Amoonguss works fine here, but the reason I recommend Celebi over Amoonguss is because you are very reliant on Terrakion to muscle through stall and balance teams. Celebi takes pressure off Terrak and thanks to Rotom-H handling Scizor you can afford to make this change imo. It still acts as a strong check to Pokemon like Cobalion, Lucario but gives you better counterplay against Suicune and MegaBro which you could have issues breaking / handling. I opted to put Psychium-Z on this as I think it appreciates it more and I went for Recover in the last slot which greatly eases the match-up against stall + lets you play a bit more aggressively with it.

Minor Changes:

: If you choose to keep Amoonguss for the added defensive utility of handling Prima and Coba better + keeping the Poison typing, then I recommend you change it to a Bold nature. I presume this was just a mistake, but there is no need to lower its speed. And to answer your query I'd keep Rocky Helmet on it to chip Scizor, Coba etc. which is really nice for Rotom-H and MegaLix.

: So you can go about this how you want, but I simply kept this as an SD variant. I think the Stall / Balance match-up is decent enough with Celebi pressuring Terrakion's checks, so it opens up the slot to run Rock Polish over Toxic. This greatly eases your match-up against offense which you mentioned the team has troubles with. I gave it a Life Orb for more dmg output, you could use Babiri or Iapapa but I don't think they are that necessary.

<Click Sprites for Importable>
I hope you like the changes Sickist if you choose to try them out. It should help with a lot of match-ups you had issues with before like Offense, Stall, Amoonguss etc. Celebi is still a pretty scary threat to the team, but Hydra revenges and Terrakion + MegaLix pressure it. Scizor is a match-up you should be careful around still as it has the potential to clean if you let MegaLix and Rotom-H get overwhelmed. This variant is a bit more offensive if you go Celebi, but I know it isn't out of your comfort zone. It has been great seeing you improve over the period of time I've known you. I look forward to your future teams and how you intend to improve in the future. If you have any questions feel free to ask ^_^

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey Sickist, thanks for the shoutout lad. This team isn't bad but I think it needs a bit of touching up to make it into a solid and consistent squad, which is nbd. The main things I'm seeing here is the poor stall matchup and the SD Scizor matchup is pretty shaky. Your only BP resist is Steelix, which is easily chipped w/o wish support and still loses pretty easily to SD sets with Superpower. You also use two grounds here for unknown reasons, when you're three mons in and you have one electric immunity and one resist, generally another electric immunity isn't what you go for next... especially in this case where Gligar still can't reliably switch into mmane. Anyways I can help so let's get into that.

- Same thing as Twilight, Rotom-H > Gligar helps your Moltres and Scizor matchup while also providing the same Defog support that Gligar did. This actually more reliably soaks Volt Switches than Gligar because it doesn't fear HP Ice but honestly that's close to irrelevant since I think you're completely fine with mmane regardless. Set is very standard but if you want you can go with Thunder Wave > Toxic to further support rak and company (I think Toxic is a lil better here to pressure grounds but twave can work too).
Rotom-Heat @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 24 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Toxic / Thunder Wave

- Togekiss > Primarina is really just here to help the stall matchup, it also gives Heal Bell support which is super great here with mlix and heattom n shit. Keeps the fairy typing while actually breaking through stall, which Primarina cannot do unless you're miraculously facing Blissey-less stall. Set is very standard.
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heal Bell

- Slowbro > Amoonguss works really great here to make up for a few things. Slowbro more reliably checks things like Cobalion than Amoonguss does, which is really appreciated since we got rid of Gligar. But the main motivation behind this change was Togekiss > Primarina making the Infernape matchup really shitty, which this helps a lot with. Slowbro is also really neat here since it can run Thunder Wave which supports both Terrakion and Togekiss especially really well. Lefties Slowbro also encourages Knock Off/Pursuit users to click Knock Off/Pursuit, which can give Terrakion setup opportunities.
Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

Smaller changes:
- Rockium Z > Fightium Z on Terrakion. I think Rockium is just better in most matchups aside from like stall, also get rid of Toxic for either Rock Polish or Earthquake, EQ can be nice with the T-Wave support... especially if you wanna go w/ twave on heattom as well, but it's up to you both can work.

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Atk / 48 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Curse

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Rotom-Heat @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 24 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Toxic

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

That's it, I think this makes this team a lot more consistent and reliable. I hope you have fun with it if you try it, s/o to Twilight for his rate as well. Lmk if you have any questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)