Bellossom (Magearna) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Strength Sap
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
- Filler (probably something like HP Fire or Fighting)

Here we have a pretty nifty late-game wincon. Magearna has an amazing defensive typing, giving it tons of opportunities to set up QD. Once it sets up enough, it can then proceed to spam Moonblast and heal off of physical RKers with Strength Sap. This can also check Scarf Blacephalon at +1, which is very cool. I run Max HP on this set to stall out with SS better, and besides, Moonblast hits hard enough as is.

1515457133117.png

Farfetch'd (Beedrill-Mega) (M) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

It's the Golisopod set, but wait, what's this?! Farfetch'd? Yup. With Farfetch'd, you get U-turn, Poison Jab and a cool pre-mega ability in Defiant.

this is an interesting set I have been running on goodra with decent success

GooTank (Goodra) @ Leftovers (inheriting from miltank)
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Milk Drink
- Counter

ignore the nick by the way. This goodra is basically one of the rare few things that counters (in most cases) the monster that is blacephalon. Despite having no sp.def investment, without being boosted or carrying fairy coverage or strong physical dmg (which both only occur on its more uncommon sets) it takes at most53.9% on a roll from sheer force shadow ball and if u go the max sp.def route this move only does 45% on max roll. in terms of torkoal blacephalon it outright walls it and ohkoes with eq. It also helps to tackle some mons on rain teams due to natural dragon resists in electric and water also with thick fat it can tank ice beam from a number of special attckers despite having no sp.def investment. for example

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Goodra: 104-124 (27 - 32.2%) -- 49.9% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Sheer Force Keldeo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Goodra: 136-160 (35.4 - 41.6%) -- 78.9% chance to 3HKO

With max def and hp investment it also though it cant properly tank a physical attacker, any physical attackers who fail to finish it off can be koed back by counter. Eq was decided on as decent coverage for me fitting my team as it already lacked ground coverage, however u can put another move in that slot fitting for whatever team u may have. counter can be replace with heal bell if u rather have something to deal with status as well

Nominating Pikachu D -> Unranked, I really doubt this needs any explanation
90 speed is slow 35 hp is bad even with hypnosis transforming and actually doing anything is hard af

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Wanted to post some samples now that I got some time!

Webs Offense

http://pokepast.es/3341d405ec481bc8

Standard Sticky Webs Hyper Offensive team that utilizes the pressure from both Specs Blacephalon and Mega Alakazam to break down walls in order to ensure a sweep from either Landorus-T or Terrakion (which are both excellent stallbreakers in their own right). I added Unaware Cresselia as an emergency anti-setup check since Ditto is not allowed in this format (although it also acts as a good backup sweeper as well). Team can be overwhelmed by certain threats that are immune to Webs such as Thundurus-I and Scarf Landorus-T, but overall works really well as a sample team that focuses heavily on just applying offensive pressure.

Medicham Bulky Offense

http://pokepast.es/199019f9adaf19f3

Mega Medicham is a great wallbreaker in the current meta and can even check offensive teams well when inheriting from Lucario thanks to Extreme Speed. From their, I decided to pair it with VolTurn support in order to bring it in safely, therefore I decided on the core of Tapu Koko and Muk-A since both mons are super solid right now where the former can outspeed the majority of the metagame and is quite potent with Specs boosted Tinted Lens attacks and the ladder being one of the only reliable Blace checks and general most difficult mons to wear down thanks to Regenerator. I decided on the defensive core of Suicune and Heatran to check some key threats like Mega Gardevoir and Grounds like Garchomp and Landorus-T. Lastly I added Scarf Blace since it's one of the best mons in the current meta and helps Koko break stuff down more easily. Teams a bit weak to certain threats like Contrary Terrakion and opposing Tapu Koko so be wary of those.

Also, yes we updated the Viability Rankings to better reflect the current metagame. Expect more formal updates soon.

Altaria-Mega (Dragonite, Zygarde, Togekiss, Noivern, Flygon)
Sorry for being a huge pain on the butt, but I think that Lucario can be a good donor for MAlt too: It gives it Swords Dance, something that none of the listed donors can't, and it also gives it Espeed, which i guess is the main reason why it should be listed.

I've been compiling some sets for this meta. Here are some Blacephalon sets:

Blacephalon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Volt Switch

Magnet Pull from Golem-Alola allows Blace to trap pretty much every common steel and OHKO it with a super effective move (Focus Blast even OHKO's FF Ferrothorn if it's not specially invested). Not much else to say about this one.

credit to Racool

Blacephalon @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 140 Atk / 116 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Superpower
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Volt Switch

This is a lure variant of the Magpull set. With the build it has, it's able to 2HKO Chansey with All Out Pummeling and 2HKO Alolan Muk with Earthquake. Other moves are pretty self-explanatory.

credit to Sylveon.

lacephalon @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Earth Power / Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

A strong wallbreaker Sheer Force set inheriting from Nidoking. It runs Fire Blast and Shadow Ball for STAB, Earth Power for hitting Assault Vest Muk Alola, and Focus Blast for hitting Chansey. Thunderbolt is a viable option over EP if you want to be able to 2HKO specially defensive Suicune, but Suicune tends to run physically defensive sets. Timid is an okay nature to run over modest, but modest has an extremely high (97.7) chance of 2HKOing Chansey if it doesn't run an SDef boosting nature.

Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 184 Atk / 72 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt

This set inherits from Rampardos to wall break through Mold Breaker. Mold Breaker is nice for allowing it to get through pesky defensive abilities such as Fur Coat, Flash Fire, Levitate, and Volt Absorb. The 184 Atk EVs are to allow it to 2HKO Chansey 100% of the time with Superpower, Earthquake is for 2HKOing Alolan Muk, Fire Blast is for STAB, and Thunderbolt is for hitting Suicune. Pretty self-explanatory.

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Pretty standard choiced drought set. Drought + Eruption is run for power, with flamethrower as a backup if Eruption gets too weak. I haven't really tested this set too much, and it might run into issues due to Torkoal's less than stellar movepool, but benefits from being extremely strong. HP Electric is kind of mandatory due to FF Skarmory / Celesteela taking no damage from it otherwise. If you're really not worried about FF Skarmory / Celesteela at all, toxic is a potentially viable option for the fourth move instead.

I'll probably post some sets for other mons / more sets for Blace if I think of them later.

Edit:
Changed the set to Archeops instead of Blace since it's better.
Archeops @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Thunderbolt

This set inherits from Kecleon to get a powerful combination of Protean + Priority. Fake Out + Sucker Punch are the main attacks of the set, and are useful for revenge killing sweepers. Drain Punch is to hit Chansey, and Thunderbolt is to hit Suicune, two walls that cause a lot of mons trouble.

credit to that ivy guy for pointing out Archeops is better.

Last edited:

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
When is blace getting banned? Right now you're required to run flashfire/drizzle/pursuit or guzzlord in order for your team to not be invalidated by blace. This thing is not healthy at all as if you don't have one of those things then you auto lose to a good blace team.

So I was trying to figure out why my Medicham set with Necrozma was considered illegal, and it was because I set it to shiny, since you can't legally have a Shiny Necrozma. That was a cute little detail but I'm sad as hell that I can't use my blue boy.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Thunderbolt

This set inherits from Kecleon to get a powerful combination of Protean + Priority. Fake Out + Sucker Punch are the main attacks of the set, and are useful for revenge killing sweepers. Drain Punch is to hit Chansey, and Thunderbolt is to hit Suicune, two walls that cause a lot of mons trouble.
Any reason to use Blacephalon over Archeops for this one, considering it's mostly physical?

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
When is blace getting banned? Right now you're required to run flashfire/drizzle/pursuit or guzzlord in order for your team to not be invalidated by blace. This thing is not healthy at all as if you don't have one of those things then you auto lose to a good blace team.
didnt they JUST ban two huge issues with inh not even a week ago. i get that blac is a pretty big issue atm, but lets not steamroll bans out.

not saying i dont agree its broken, the fucker 2hko's chansey/resists for christ sake lol. but we should at least cool down before tackling something else. give some breathing space. we took out two BIG issues to inh, so tackling another would be a bit messy. of course if the creators want to quickly remove it since i doubt anyone disagrees on it being simply broken as fuck. then by all means get that cancer outta here lol.

Reactions: nv

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
didnt they JUST ban two huge issues with inh not even a week ago. i get that blac is a pretty big issue atm, but lets not steamroll bans out.

not saying i dont agree its broken, the fucker 2hko's chansey/resists for christ sake lol. but we should at least cool down before tackling something else. give some breathing space. we took out two BIG issues to inh, so tackling another would be a bit messy. of course if the creators want to quickly remove it since i doubt anyone disagrees on it being simply broken as fuck. then by all means get that cancer outta here lol.
They did and they need to ban the other issue. No point in leaving that broken thing in the tier when we can ban it now and have a playable meta without being forced to run niche things for that monster. Right now its obviously broken and should be removed so no point in waiting.

Just putting in a few cents about the VR or just general set discussion.
I would definitely consider adding Garchomp (Rampardos) as an option for Chomp. With Mold Breaker getting by Unaware and Levitate, SD Z-Chomp can be a nightmare for some fat team which should be worthy enough for a mention. Celesteela exists yes, but it does get Fire Punch to deal good damage. Another, more weird thing I would consider is Mega Scizor (Pangoro). I have been putting in so much work with an offensive SD set. +2 Storm Throw does a ton of damage to regular Scizor checks. It also has some very interesting options, in Bulldoze, which hits stuff like Pex, Marowak, and Blace on the switch (although +2 BP with max attack kills Blace after rocks), and Knock Off which makes it not walled by Zapdos. The only match ups it really struggles with are against Unaware, but it does actually get Mold Breaker pre-mega and I have actually caught some Unaware mons off guard, and Lele mons, but if you get those things out of the way it can go to town. I have gotten countless sweeps with this thing.
Here are the two sets as is on my team https://pokepast.es/70737f4ada03e96d

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I've asked this before, but why is Rampardos listed as a donor for Gengar? It's blatantly outclassed by Nidoking, and Gengar doesn't even get STAB from it.

Tangrowth (Comfey) @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Draining Kiss
- Synthesis

This set could also work w/ Alolan exeggutor for more special attack, but whatevs.

Druddigon (Ninjask) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Glare
- Roar

someone please tell me WHY ninjask isn't on the vr? It's fast as fuck and, when paired with druddigon is capable of beating other magic bounce mons and taunt beats out other suicide leads. Roar could be replaced with an offensive move, even though none of them are stab. I have it there for ppl who think they want to set up on it.

Celesteela (Tornadus) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Iron Tail
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

While the glaringly obvious flaw with this set is it's HORRID accuracy, when it hits, it works well as a pivot and amazing bait for blacephalon and magnet pullers running around. (also speaking of the VR, where is emolga celesteela, or at least [insert electric immunity pokemon here] celesttela?)

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Scald
- Ice Beam

A solid defensive pivot, nothing much to say here, I'm sure some of you have played AAA and know how good that damn AV set is.

I think Terrakion can be a strong choice set with Basculin

Basculin (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head / Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 SpD
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Liquidation
- Zen Headbutt / Facade

You get extremely strong STAB, albeit with drawbacks, if you run Adaptability, but with Rock Head you have a tremendous Rock Head without recoil.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I think Terrakion can be a strong choice set with Basculin

Basculin (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head / Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 SpD
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Liquidation
- Zen Headbutt / Facade

You get extremely strong STAB, albeit with drawbacks, if you run Adaptability, but with Rock Head you have a tremendous Rock Head without recoil.
cool idea, but for rock head, you're better off with aggron

Aggron (Terrakion) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

gotta admit tho, basculin might have potential, it has some cool coverage gumshoos doesn't have like head smash and liquidation

cool idea, but for rock head, you're better off with aggron

Aggron (Terrakion) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

gotta admit tho, basculin might have potential, it has some cool coverage gumshoos doesn't have like head smash and liquidation
Tyrantrum (Terrakion) @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Personally this is my favourite Head Smash Terrakion set. If you can get up a Dragon Dance it's capable of putting a bunch of pressure on all play styles, but even without one it boasts immense power and coverage.

Also I'd personally like to see Tapu Bulu Terrakion listed on the VR somewhere. It's probably my most used Terrakion set and can tear through a lot of defensive cores.

Tapu Bulu (Terrakion) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer
- Swords Dance

Grassy Terrain effectively gives Terrakion a third STAB for decimating bulky behemoths like Suicune and Hippowdon, while a powerful All Out Pummelling at +2 doesn't have very many answers on common stall teams. Grassy Surge is also super nice for mitigating Wood Hammer recoil, removing Terrakion's Earthquake weakness, and providing utility to the rest of the team.

I am currently looking for a good set for a Magent Pull User (primarily to counter Ferro/ Celesteecla). Are there some suggestions?

I am really thinking the same, its the most banworthy pokemon right now

Something I've noticed about this flex-ish boi is that most of its sets of Inheritance are either for pivoting or for a defensive role, and the only offensibly inclined one is Lurantis', so i wanted to innovate a bit:

Heracross (Buzzwole) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade / Megahorn
This one is basically Heracross' one at UU, but with much better Physical defense and attack, but with less speed and SpD. The only variation presented here is the option of Megahorn, which can be a great Bug STAB, but sadly you would get hard walled by fairies if you gave up Facade. Another cool Guts donors are Machamp (priority Bullet Punch + CC is decent, ig) or Conkeldurr:

Conkeldurr (Buzzwole) @ Flame Orb
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch / Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Facade / Bulk Up
Yeah, it doesn't have either SD or CC, but you can't say to me that prioity on Mach Punch and semi-reliable recovery on STAB Drain Punch is bad, and you can always use Bulk Up as a set-up move i guess. Talkin' about Fighting Guts abusers...

Heracross (Terrakion) @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off / Earthquake
- Stone Edge
I know Larvitar sets exist, and they're admiteddly cool and hard to play around, but this one can be as threatening as those. This one, unlike Larvitar sets, doesn't have Ddance, but it posseses Swords Dance for inmediate power and having a Fighting STAB that doesn't lowers your attack is nice. It also has Knock Off if you want to fuck Ghost and Psychic mons even more.
Also, ban motherf*cking Blacephalon now please.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)