General Introduce yourself!

I can help you with a few battling tips and even do a few battles with you on showdown if you would like. These other people can help you and give you a few tips QueBien Fluke TheHoodedGamer. I played Pokemon for almost ten years and I've been on the competitive scene for two years and I have improved a lot. My only comment and advice to you is play a lot and enjoy and learn from your mistakes. Don't get frustrated there will always be people out there that will put you down sadly. Good luck on smogon if you need any other Questions let me know.

I have been playing Pokemon since gen 3 and 4. If you need help on battling I can help when I have some free time and also you should try looking at the strategy guide on smogon and getting familiar with the tiers. Be prepared for anything really. Good luck on smogon.
Nice to meet you Chesty. If you really want to try to tutor an old dog like myself then more power to ya. I have all the basics down and can generally make reads, it's mostly just learning the ORAS metas. I've been struggling in OU a bit more than I did in early ORAS and throughout X and Y. PU has been quite a bit more forgiving. Anyway, I look forward to seeing you around on the site.

Hi, I'm mac1275. I've been here for a while mostly as part of the competitive threads, but I wanted to get a bit more involved in the forums as a whole. Been playing Pokemon since gen 1 (and competitive from gen 5 onward) and am trying to get back into the mid to upper level battling scene after a short hiatus and well Smogon is the best place to do that. Anyway, see you all around the forums. :)
Have fun in the forums mac!

Hello, I'm new to this simulator. It so far seems like an amazing game and I would love to bond with the community people as well. Call me whatever you feel like is appropriate for the time, I'm sure I'll see you all around in the game and in the forums. Hope we get along! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Lol the only simulator Pokemon related I know of is Pokemon showdown. Either ways welcome to smogon. If you need help I'm here to ask good luck as well:)

Hello, I'm new to this simulator. It so far seems like an amazing game and I would love to bond with the community people as well. Call me whatever you feel like is appropriate for the time, I'm sure I'll see you all around in the game and in the forums. Hope we get along! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Have fun in the forums mac!
Nice to meet you. Even though I'm just now introducing myself, I've been around for a little while, so if you have any questions about the site or battling at all, I'm willing and able to help. :)

Nice to meet you. Even though I'm just now introducing myself, I've been around for a little while, so if you have any questions about the site or battling at all, I'm willing and able to help. :)
Alright then, I'll come to you whenever I need help. Thanks for the offer.

Lol the only simulator Pokemon related I know of is Pokemon showdown. Either ways welcome to smogon. If you need help I'm here to ask good luck as well:)
I might have worded that a bit wrong... sorry about that. And thanks for the welcome, it means a lot. Thanks for the good luck and the offer of help as well. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Brandon (Brandank on SD!) and I'm here because competitive Pokemon has always intrigued me, and I came across the tutoring section of this forum.

Sadly, I do not currently have the privileges to post there.

I'm Brandon (Brandank on SD!) and I'm here because competitive Pokemon has always intrigued me, and I came across the tutoring section of this forum.

Hey Brandark, welcome to Smogon. You should PM a moderator to apply. Only approved tutors may post in the subforum. Hope that helps.

Oops. I was attempting to become a tutee, not a tutor.
Welcome to the site Brandark. I've been playing competitive on and off since the Black and White days and hope you find it to be as fun and rewarding as I do. If you have any basic question about competitive Pokemon, I'm more than happy to answer. I'm no tutor though.

Welcome to the site Brandark. I've been playing competitive on and off since the Black and White days and hope you find it to be as fun and rewarding as I do. If you have any basic question about competitive Pokemon, I'm more than happy to answer. I'm no tutor though.
Honestly, anything helps. I don't know how to build a team, nor do I know where to find good teams online. I'm used to relatively competitive scenes, so that won't be a real issue.

Honestly, anything helps. I don't know how to build a team, nor do I know where to find good teams online. I'm used to relatively competitive scenes, so that won't be a real issue.
You should check out the Rate My Team section. You can just take teams from there and experiment with them. If you feel you have enough knowledge to build your own team, do so and make a thread showcasing it. Others then can help you by giving tips and feedback on your own team. Be sure to read the rules first though!

:)

Last edited:
If you'd like to learn more about teambuilding in general, many of the tiers also have teambuilding threads or sample teams threads where a multitude of people use a core to build as strong a team as they can. Seeing the process that various players go through to make teams for these threads may also help you a lot in the long run.

I know this is a bit late but good luck playing competitively Brandon~ :)

[Awkwardly clears throat] Yo, I'm Seth/Stephanie/whatever floats your boat. I recently started getting into competitive battling/competition breeding, and Smogon has been one of the absolute best references that I've used, especially when it comes to analyzing base stats/EV spreads/roles, so I decided to come on over here and follow it a bit more closely á la joining the forum.

Let's see... I'm nineteen going on twenty, and have been playing religiously since I picked up gen 3. Up until this gen, I was mostly a collecter, but I really want to up my battling game this time. I mostly play ORAS now (I'm at college and left my Y cartridge at home, oh the horror), but I get on Showdown every once in a while, and probably will do more so now that I slightly (?) understand battle mechanics more. My favorite Pokémon is up in the air between Espeon and Absol, but my hands down favorite gen is gen 2, even though, ironically enough, I've never actually played any Johto game in its entirety (GSC or HGSS). My old Silver cartridge ended up getting the save bug about five gyms in. :T

[Awkwardly clears throat] Yo, I'm Seth/Stephanie/whatever floats your boat. I recently started getting into competitive battling/competition breeding, and Smogon has been one of the absolute best references that I've used, especially when it comes to analyzing base stats/EV spreads/roles, so I decided to come on over here and follow it a bit more closely á la joining the forum.

Let's see... I'm nineteen going on twenty, and have been playing religiously since I picked up gen 3. Up until this gen, I was mostly a collecter, but I really want to up my battling game this time. I mostly play ORAS now (I'm at college and left my Y cartridge at home, oh the horror), but I get on Showdown every once in a while, and probably will do more so now that I slightly (?) understand battle mechanics more. My favorite Pokémon is up in the air between Espeon and Absol, but my hands down favorite gen is gen 2, even though, ironically enough, I've never actually played any Johto game in its entirety (GSC or HGSS). My old Silver cartridge ended up getting the save bug about five gyms in. :T
Hey Stephanie, welcome to Smogon. GSC is most definitely my all time favorite. Shame you haven't completed it!

Smogon is definitely the right place to learn more about competitive battling. Can you tell me how much you already know regarding the competitive side of Pokemon? I'll gladly help you :)

Hey Stephanie, welcome to Smogon. GSC is most definitely my all time favorite. Shame you haven't completed it!

Smogon is definitely the right place to learn more about competitive battling. Can you tell me how much you already know regarding the competitive side of Pokemon? I'll gladly help you :)
Haah, yeah, I'm looking for somebody to sell me a used HGSS but no luck within my broke budget.

As for the competitive part, I'm familiar with EVs in theory, how they affect stats and the math and all that, and IVs are basically no big deal. But trying to put it into practice is really confusing, because there seems to be so much finesse behind exactly what stats to use and which Pokémon to defend against? And trying to predict which Pokémon out of ~720 a person's going to use, what moves/EV build they'll have...it's all kind of overwhelming, like, "where do I start?"

Haah, yeah, I'm looking for somebody to sell me a used HGSS but no luck within my broke budget.

As for the competitive part, I'm familiar with EVs in theory, how they affect stats and the math and all that, and IVs are basically no big deal. But trying to put it into practice is really confusing, because there seems to be so much finesse behind exactly what stats to use and which Pokémon to defend against? And trying to predict which Pokémon out of ~720 a person's going to use, what moves/EV build they'll have...it's all kind of overwhelming, like, "where do I start?"
What to expect eventually comes down to experience. For instance, when you don't know what 'role' a certain Pokemon usually fills you indeed cannot know what they will be like in battle. You should check out this article on Competitive Pokemon. And this page also has some helpful resources. My advice: Since you already know the fundamentals, just start playing. It will take some time, but you'll learn that Forretress is a common Rapid Spin user and hazards setter, and that Scizor is best at physical offense rather than special offense. Just a few examples.

the IV's are important actually, they set the Hidden Power type, Ex: hidden power Fire needs 30 ivs atk and 30 ivs spa. And if a mon dont have 31 ivs in all stats they will never be maxed.

You should not worry about the 720 mons, thats why we have our tier system, so you know wich are the most used: OU(over used) UU( under used) RU ( rarely used).

If you want to Learn more about competitive tou can join the Battling 101 program, or PM any of us who replied you!

Good Luck!

Hey There!
I am only thirteen, and I actually heard of showdown before I came here to help out with teams. Some of my other friends had accounts, so I thought I outta make one too. I'm glad I did, and I am really excited for what lies in store! Keep in mind, I just set up my profile, so I haven't changed my pic yet, but it is definitely gonna be MIGHTYENA!! I know he is a pu, but who can't love him? He has very good attack, and pair him up with swords dance, crunch, and any other physical moves, he could knock out a Machamp! But I also came for friends and help on teams so, reply and check me out!

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hey There!
I am only thirteen, and I actually heard of showdown before I came here to help out with teams. Some of my other friends had accounts, so I thought I outta make one too. I'm glad I did, and I am really excited for what lies in store! Keep in mind, I just set up my profile, so I haven't changed my pic yet, but it is definitely gonna be MIGHTYENA!! I know he is a pu, but who can't love him? He has very good attack, and pair him up with swords dance, crunch, and any other physical moves, he could knock out a Machamp! But I also came for friends and help on teams so, reply and check me out!
Hello LucarioVsMightyena, welcome to Smogon ! Mightyena is definitely a cool & badass Pokemon that could really use some buffs in my opinion. If you're looking for help with teams, head over to the Rate My Team forum, where a bunch of raters are eager to help you improve your team. Just make sure your team goes in the right section and be sure to read the RMT Rules before you post. If you have any questions about anything about Smogon in particular, feel free to PM me or head over to the Smogon Simple Questions thread, where we'd be happy to answer whatever you have to ask. Enjoy your stay here and we hope to see you around !

Yo. I'm Pug, been playing Pokemon since gen 1, which naturally means I'm OOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD (25) :(.

Got on PS! last week and mostly been sticking around the UU tier, mostly due to my phobia of people spamming OP legendaries all day. *cough*MegaRayquaza*cough*

Having said that, I'm mostly just here to have fun and learn some crazy new fun ways to use my old favorites from back in the day. Namely SWAMPERT, LORD OF SEAS AND EARTHQUAKES! Naturally, my favorite PKMN game is original Sapphire.

I have a decent working team working with Mega Swampert, but gets whooped about as often as it does the whooping.

Cannon Bug (Forretress) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Explosion

Poseidon (Swampert-Mega) (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall

Clever Girl (Umbreon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Chubs (Blissey) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Whoosh (Tornadus) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Hurricane

Jello (Reuniclus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

If anyone has any ideas for a special sweeper that can meld with this team better, especially an answer for Fairies LIKE THAT DAMNED FLORGES, please let me know.

EDIT: Just saw Dr Ciel's post above. When I read the sticky, I thought it was for 'good' teams, ones that can clear 1500 on Glieko. Plz correct me if I'm wrong. :/

Also, why does it call people fat when you quote their posts on here? I'm a healthy weight, tyvm. XD

Yo. I'm Pug, been playing Pokemon since gen 1, which naturally means I'm OOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD (25) :(.

Got on PS! last week and mostly been sticking around the UU tier, mostly due to my phobia of people spamming OP legendaries all day. *cough*MegaRayquaza*cough*

Having said that, I'm mostly just here to have fun and learn some crazy new fun ways to use my old favorites from back in the day. Namely SWAMPERT, LORD OF SEAS AND EARTHQUAKES! Naturally, my favorite PKMN game is original Sapphire.

I have a decent working team working with Mega Swampert, but gets whooped about as often as it does the whooping.

Cannon Bug (Forretress) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Explosion

Poseidon (Swampert-Mega) (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall

Clever Girl (Umbreon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Chubs (Blissey) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Whoosh (Tornadus) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Hurricane

Jello (Reuniclus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

If anyone has any ideas for a special sweeper that can meld with this team better, especially an answer for Fairies LIKE THAT DAMNED FLORGES, please let me know.

EDIT: Just saw Dr Ciel's post above. When I read the sticky, I thought it was for 'good' teams, ones that can clear 1500 on Glieko. Plz correct me if I'm wrong. :/

Also, why does it call people fat when you quote their posts on here? I'm a healthy weight, tyvm. XD
Hey Pug, welcome to Smogon. I've also been playing since Generation I and I have to tell you, it's the best journey I have ever started. Oh by the way, Mega Rayquaza isn't even playable in regular tiers. It's even too overpowered for the Ubers tier, hence it forced a new tier called Anything Goes (AG).

About your team, it looks slick. However if you want more in-depth feedback on it I'd suggest taking a look at the Rate My Team section. People there are kind enough to rate your teams and give feedback and tips. It really helps when building a competitive team. Make sure you read the rules first though, as they're quite important.

If you have any general questions, feel free to ask 'em in the Simple Questions thread. Or just ask me, Chesty, QueBien, TheHoodedGamer, or InfernapeTropius11 if you want to get more personal. But most importantly, I hope you have a fun time out here on Smogon :)

Oh, and about the 'fat' tag when you quote someone.. I think it is an old joke from way back in the days. They don't really mean that people are fat, it's just a joke.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks a lot. I'm also glad you think MIGHTYENA is cool!
Mightyena is awesome! I'm so glad it got a nice more usable Ability in the newer generations. To answer your question regarding your icon (it's called an avatar): Check out this page. Just search for the Pokemon you want, in your case Mightyena, and save the desired image. Then go to your user profile and click on your avatar (which is the Seviper icon for you). It will ask you if you want to change it, and it allows you to upload an image. Just upload the image you've just saved et voilà!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)