Project Iron Chef: Overused | Episode 11 (Coming 2019!)

Sorry i had to run in to work, but if any chefs are on in a couple hours im dtf

edit: nvm its done soon

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
...Time's Up!

This concludes the Challenging phase of the third episode. Huge thanks to all the Iron Chefs for taking time out of their schedules to fit some battles in, and also to the participants for putting their battle skills to the test against them!

Up next is the Voting phase! Below, you'll find each contestant's team alongside the importable + description. Your task is to vote for the one or two teams that you think best fits these three categories, as found in the OP:

CREATIVITY: Is your finished dish a delight never before tasted by our judges, or is it the same standard fare? Your goal is not to merely reheat an existing team, but to break boundaries and challenge standards. A team that was copied from an RMT or tournament with a few minor changes should score poorly here, while a team full of new ideas could bring home as many as five points.

ESSENCE / ELEVATION: How well does your team use this round's theme? Is it merely tacked on to satisfy the tournament's requirements, or is it a fundamental part of how the team works? A team that barely uses the round's theme could end up with nothing here, while a team that not only uses the theme but redefines might win it all.

EFFECTIVENESS: And now we're down to the real meat of the dish. How good is the team? This category is worth twice as much as the other two, because in the end, it doesn't matter how original your dish is - if it doesn't taste good, then people won't eat it. A team that will struggle to succeed in the current metagame, even against mediocre teams, might receive a zero here. On the other hand, show the judges how great your team is, and you could take home a full ten points.

Please vote for the best team in each category. In order to gain more participation, you DO NOT have to include a description, but if you have 5 spare minutes, please do so; even a sentence is fine. Anyone (Iron Chefs, community, and contestants) can vote; this phase will be up for 3-4 days!

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Solar Beam
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 56 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off
- Defog

The theme this week invited me to make a team designed to kill steel types which will hinder a pokemon from sweeping. I thought that the best users of fire moves would be HP fire lele and fire punch ttar alongside heatran. The team can pressure steel types decently well so I have bulu + kartana to give me a cleaner. I also have hp fly on lando to check hawlucha. I feel offensive momentum + av bulu is enough to check opposing landorus. Bloom Doom heatran is supported really well by grassy terrain support since it powers up the move and also lets heatran take less from earthquakes. Since the theme suggested a lot of fire, i am naturally a little weak to greninja with my only real check being av bulu. However this can be played around.

Volcanion @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Substitute

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 56 Def / 72 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stomping Tantrum

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Defog

I wanted to build around Volcanion since I didn't want to go for something classic and since it's a really scary mon for many teams to switch into. I decided to go for the sub + 3 attacks set which has been explored a bit more lately since it can sub up on passive mons like Clef and Ferro and proceed to break through the opposing team with its powerful moves. As its first partner I wanted something that woud be able to force in passive mons like Amoonguss or Ferro Vocanion loves subbing up on. For that reason, I decided to go for Tapu Koko which can Volt Switch on them as well as pressuring things like Zapdos and bulky Water-types Volcanion struggles against. I made Koko Shuca because it gave me one more measure against Ground-types. Celesteela was chosen next because it gave me a solid ground immunity as well as a solid check to Psychic types like Tapu Lele and M-Alakazam and Grass-types like Kartana and also gave me a second Fire move in Flamethrower. After that I decided to go for M-Tyranitar which gave me a solid trapper which could trap things like Latis, choiced Lele and Heatran, a solid Fire resist for the likes of Blacephalon and Volcarona, as well as a Stealth Rock setter which my team needed at this point. Since my team lacked of a Toxic Spikes immunity and a solid switchin to Ash-Gren, I decided to go for AV Amoonguss next as it covered both of these issues and coud also serve as a solid Kartana check and completed the requirements by giving me a third Fire-type move in HP Fire. For last slot, I needed a Hazard remover and decided to go for Scarf Defog Landorus-T as it also checked threats like Zygarde, Tyranitar and M-Lopunny which my team was struggling a bit against and gave me some more speed control.

Things to look out for include Volcarona which is hard to deal with once boosted and strong Fighting Types like M-Medicham and M-Lopunny for which I have no real switchin.

https://pokepast.es/dd27f4bdb7172057

I've actually had this team for a long time, and it just happened to meet the requirements meant for this week.

• Mawile and Greninja form a dark-spam core, breaking down the opposing team via hazard support and chip from the other members. They also both have sweeping potential via priority, and in Greninjas case, an amazing speed tier.
  • Clefable is a late-game wincon. It works excellent in conjunction with the many fire lures, as they work to remove most opposing steel types that could threaten clef.
  • Latias supports the team with a pretty niche scarf set. HP fire revenge kills Kartana, and trick ruins common Latias switch-ins such as Ferrothorn, Celesteela, and Heatran. Healing wish offers Mawile the chance to break early game, and sweep later.
  • Landorus is relatively standard, toxic over hp ice to wittle down far more mons than hp ice does, and catch 'mons such as Tangrowth and AV Bulu by surprise.
  • Zapdos offers a hard check to a ton of major threats, such as Mega Scizor, Mega Pinsir, Kartana, Hawlucha, etc. Z-move to lure 'mons that may think they can take hits from a defensive Zapdos such as Ttar, and also to heavily weaken knock off to better check Kart and Mega Scizor.
Weaknesses:
The most notable weakness I’ve found with this team is Tapu Koko. Once lando is down it can freely volt switch through my team, and it can get lando down pretty easily. It also only really gets revenge’d by greninja already in ash-form, or latias and mawile if it the koko has taken a ton of chip.
The team is also pretty weak to fire types, most notably heatran. My best switch-in for it is latias, which can’t really hit it in return. However, lati can trick variants that don’t run z-move. Landorus can switch in to a magma storm and take <50, then force it out with EQ, and i can usually wear it down with hazards, greninja, and mawile.

http://pokepast.es/0f4ec7a62bd5044c

I made this team around Reuniclus, which I believe is a severely underrated Pokemon in the current OU Metagame, and Victini. Energy Ball seems like a really weird move for reuniclus, but it works beautifully to remove Gastrodon, Rain teams, and bulky Waters. AV Tapu bulu was necessary as an ash-greninja answer, and covers stuff like banded zygarde as well. Mega Tyranitar's aim is to lure in Mega Scizor and Kartana as they are annoying for Reuniclus, while also getting up rocks. Trapping Latios is also helpful because Latios walls Victini. Celesteela gave me a bulky steel and a Tapu Lele answer. Finally, Scarf Landorus-T provided an electric immunity, which is mandatory on any team in my opinion, and also lures in things like Tangrowth, allowing Victini setup. It also revenge kills stuff like Mega Pinsir, and can defog for Victini if needed. The team is slightly weak to Volcarona, but a) its not that common, and b) there is counterplay in mega tyranitar and victini.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This team was built quite a while ago, but i think its very fitting for this secret ingredient. Its wallbreaking potential is quite extraordinary, as is breaking walls in relationships, to get ever closer to your loved ones. The primary idea was using specs koko to pivot around and wreak havoc. Hp fire is used over hp ice, because specs dazzling gleam already does a lot to lando, garchomp and zygarde, which are the prevalent ground types on which hp ice would be used on anyway. Magnezone is used to trap annoying steels such as celesteela and ferrothorn to clear the way for scarf lele or manaphy. With an AV, it also lures many special pokemon such as Ash Gren and Z-Fightinium Lele, and can tank and return OHKO if at a respectable HP. Charizard X was added as a physical wallbreaker and potential sweeper. This manaphy set is one i used ever since the start of sun and moon, and its very effective at catching people off guard with the +1 speed boost from z rain dance. Psychic is to beat mons such as toxapex and venusaur. Landorus was added as a blanket check to physical attackers such as Zygarde and Kartana, provides crucial ground and electric immunities, defog support, and u-turn to get in my sweepers safely. The team does have some issues against mons like chansey as there is only one physical attacker, and ash gren if magnezone is weakened. Its also quite weak to heatran, as koko and manaphy are my only answers, and my lack of rocks mean that the opponent has an easy time switching around. Alternatively, i would change magnezone for ferrothorn to set up rocks and be a better greninja/lele switch-in, however i feel that magnezone has a better nice in trapping mons and simultaneously fills the quota for three fire moves/pokemon, and also benefits from electric terrain from koko, forming a volt switch core with lando and koko.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Nature Power

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 108 SpD / 152 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 56 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

I actually assembled three teams and picked this sorta less-standard Volc build (as compared to the Gren Tran Bulu Zap type-thing that got used a dozen times last week in SPL and the Torn-T Volcanion build that's kinda whack and relies on matchup) as my thing. All volc squads are kinda similarish but I think M-Diancie + Bulu is a nice core and HWish Jirachi is a cool tech that's a bit underused as well. The team sorta struggles vs Tran which is annoying but in practice it turns out ok more often than not.

https://pastebin.com/LCC8Xw1E
Ok so i wanted to build around flyinium z torn because that's just something cool that i've wanted for a while. i chose weavile as a partner because i love that core and i feel like they work really well with torn pivoting on/denting steel types, giving weavile momentum, and being a super reliable hazard remover which weavile loves. i wanted lopunny next because a fast fighting type sounded amazing for this team and it keeps up the offensive pace that i was building with this team. i realized next that i need some defensive pivots, so i added tankchomp. it gives phasing, a heatran check, a hawlucha check, and rocks, a bunch of things that all teams need all in one. next i put heatran because i generally try to have a fire type on every team and this just does what heatran does: it's pretty fat, it annoys fat things, and kills celesteela and other steel types, and i have a flying type that kind of covers the ground weakness. i finally chose scarf gren because it gives me speed control, momentum, a volc check, and spikes which weavile and lop really appreciate a lot

Ooh yeah, first review, let's go
Creativity: matthewwc20090
Reuniclus is an interesting, albeit underutilized mon, and its nice to see it get picked up, especially when used in conjunction with Victini, another underutilized mon, to form a good core that does what its supposed to. The inclusion of Mega Tyranitar as a rocker instead, instead of a sweeper was a nice touch to subvert expectations. Overall not much else to say, but I found matthew's team to be creative
Essence: 1 True Lycan
The theme of this round was an interesting one, since its hard not to tack on pokemons with random fire coverage / fire types onto a team to satisfy the condition of the round. Whereas I found that other teams failed to do much else with the condition but accept it, 1 true Lycan managed to make it part of his game strategy by ensuring that his team would utilize the extra fire coverage to help other pokemons on the team succeed. By trying to eliminate Steel types with fire moves to ensure a Kartana Bulu clean, 1 True Lycan managed to have the best Essence on his side.
Effectiveness 1 True Lycan
Been thinking about which one is he best, but after some thinking, I believe that 1 True Lycans team to be the best because grass spam is good and so is the rest of his team

Last edited:

Breezy

formerly Quaze
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Creativity: Chickenpie2
how often do you see m-char-x and manaphy in OU?
Essence: yet to decide
one between MFJr King and 1 True Lycan
Effectiveness: 1 True Lycan
I had a hard time playing against his team. It puts a lot of offensive pressure and is at the same time solid.

Creativity: matthewc20090
It’s not always that you see Reuniclus in OU, which can succeed with the proper support. SP Victini is also pretty creative.

Essence: MFJr King
Surprising to see a Volcanion team in OU, and it’s pretty cool that team members like Shuca Koko / AV Amoonguss can switch into the Pokemon that take advantage of the fire ingredient for the round.

Effectiveness: 1 True Lycan
This team looked the most solid overall with the idea of Heatran being able to take advantage of common switchins for Lele + grass spam.

Creativity: MFJr King
I feel this team has the most viable creativity with Volcanion. I love this mon rn, its always super scary to face with its coverage, capatalising on many meta trends, such as the fall of Lati@s etc.

Essence:
I can't decide on what to chose for this spot so gonna leave it blank for now

Effectiveness: Lord Ninjax
I love the synergy of both the Diancie and Volcarona core, and the Rachi Bulu core also providing healing wish and terrain support for the offensive core, but also

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)