It's been two years since I made my last team...

Hey guys, I can guarantee none of you will remember me, since I never really came on this site much, I was more of an FC battler, but I retired around two years ago. With that being said, I decided I'd try my luck out at making a new team, to see if I could still make teams that could hold their own the competitive metagame of HG/SS. Please help with an rmt, and keep in mind my last team was from back before Garchomp was an uber.

At A Glance​
Was:

Is:

Team Building Process​

I decided to start with a Breloom, since I always loved the attack Spore. I watched a few of MTG Xerxes videos, and I saw the kind of damage a Breloom was capable of, and so I decided that was a good place to start my team.

I knew I would need a good lead for my team, but I didn't know where to look. I was checking out Metagross since he's one of my favorite Pokemon and sweepers, and then I saw he had capabilities as a lead now, and that made him a no-brainer choice for my lead.

I love Suicune. It has so much potential in any team, and you never really know what to expect when fighting one. Problem was, back when I battled competitively, Suicune was an uber, so I never really got to use one. Since it's allowed in the metagame now, I wanted one.

With Metagross setting up SR, I needed something that could force switches, as well as be a suitable PHazer. Enter Skarmory, he has remained one of the best PHazers all throughout the history of the metagame, and it was an easy choice for me to use him.

Where there's a Skarmory, there's soon to be a Blissey. Every single one of my teams has used a Blissey, and this team is no different. I couldn't decide what to make this Blissey though, but I think I made the right choice in the end.

I needed a sweeper. I realized that I had no Pokemon that I could just send in and do some incredible damage with, and that's when I remembered that Gengar was always a favorite sweeper of mine, and since my team had a lot of Physical pokemon, I needed something with Sp.Attack.

The first pokemon in this team was also the first to go. I realized Brelooms style wasn't right for me, and began my re-building from there. I needed a more powerful lead, and Azelf just fit.

I needed a new strategy for my Metagross, since he was no longer lead. I looked around at CB Metagross, but then decided that I'd like to try out an AgiliGross instead, to see how I like it. I saw that Scizor works well with a Metagross, and can also be used as a stand alone Tank, and so I made this choice fairly easily, although cutting Suicune was hard to do.

I didn't like Skarmory anymore. He didn;t fit into the team anymore, it had developed more of an offensive style that he really didn't cut, and he offered no support for my other Pokemon. I started looking for replacements, and when I realized the capabilities of a Lucario/Gengar combo, I knew what had to be done.

I was informed a scarf Rotom would tear through my team, so I needed to find a counter. I wasn't crazy about Azelf lead anyways, so I instead chose to use Swampert as a lead, because I was considering one anyways.

This was a tough decision, and I may end up switching between Metagross and Heatran depending no the match. Heatran was a huge problem for this team, so I figured I'd add one for myself as a way of countering them. Unfortunately, this leaves me way more susceptible to Machamp attacks.
Without Further Ado...

Swampert@Leftovers
Relazed
252 Hp/4 Attack/252 Defence

Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Ice Beam
Roar/Protect

Swampert took over for Azelf as lead because I needed an appropriate Scarf Rotom counter. Although none of Perts attack will damage Rotom for an OHKO, at least it will scare it away since T-Bolt and Overheat don't affect swampert, and if it comes down to Swampert and Rotom, then Swampert will walk away the winner. My basic plan is to use Swampert for SR, then switch out until a Rotom reveals itself. Any damage Pert takes while setting up SR can be Wished away by Blissey.

Gengar@Life Orb
Timid
4 Def/252 Sp Attack/252 Speed

Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Pain Split
Thunderbolt

I haven't changed the Gengar from the old team, because I love that set. I used to run this set with a Choice Scarf and HP Ice, but with both Garchomp and Mence put into Ubers, Ice lacks the luster it once had. Pain Split allows it to take down special walls like Blissey, and run a Life Orb effectively. I'll consider changing Pain Split, but I really do love it's appeal.

Lucario@Life Orb
Adamant
252 Attack/4 Sp Defence/252 Speed

Swords Dance
Close Combat
ExtremeSpeed
Crunch

A standard SD Lucario. I love Lucario, he's one of my favorite Pokemon, and then I realized that Lucario and Gengar make a phenomenal offensive duo. Send in Lucario on a Dark or Ghost type attack aimed at Gengar, absorb it and then set up when the opponent flees. Life Orb plus SD and ExtremeSpeed makes for one painful Pokemon. And if anything tries to CC or EQ Lucario, out comes Gengar.

Scizor@Choice Band
Adamant
248 Hp/252 Attack/8 Speed

U-Turn
Bullet Punch
Super Power
Pursuit

Scizor is another Pokemon I've always loved, but he wasn't really big in my time of playing. Now it appears he is, so I've added one. His high defences coupled with a CB make one powerful tank, I don't know why it took him so long to become recognized as a powerful force. Bullet Punch with STAB and Technician has a base power of 90, coupled with Scizors 590 attack thanks to CB does some damage. STAB U-Turn makes it possible to keep up the momentum while setting up for the next Pokemon...

Heatran@Life Orb
Naive
252 Sp Attack/4 Sp Defence/252 Speed

Fire Blast
Hidden Power Grass
Earth Power
Explosion

I was told my team had two major weaknesses, Rotoms, and Heatrans. I put the Swampert lead to deal with Rotom, and then all that was left was a suitable Heatran counter. The best option for this seemed to be my very own Heatran, combined with a Life Orb. He has decent type coverage, as well as Explosion for that final bang. Naive nature over Timid so that Explosion gets more damage out, which may be useful if I'm met with something I can't otherwise take down.

Blissey@Leftovers
Bold
252 Hp/252 Defence/4 Speed

Wish
Protect
Seismic Toss
Thunder Wave

Blissey has remained the same, except that I replaced Toxic with T-Wave. This is because my team is no longer meant as a stall team, and so T-Wave will help out much more in the long run, crippling foes that may have otherwise hurt Metagross or Lucario in their sweeps. I kept the EVs in Defence instead of Sp against what some said, simply because now Blissey is my only wall, and she may have to take a physical hit or two in order to set up a wish.

Threat List

...Unfortuantely, I'm not up to speed with the current metagame, and so a threat list is nearly impossible for me to make, since I don't know what startegies are common and which aren't. I was hoping for this RMT to help me learn some of the strategies that are being used, and counters I may add in order to prevent them. My biggest fear is fire type Pokemon, but Suicune handles those nicely.

In Conclusion...
Please feel free to bash me and call me a noob in this RMT. Show me no mercy, I want this team to evolve into something great, and I will not take any criticisms personally, I'll be more offended if you tell me this team is perfect. I'm willing to change any Pokemon in this team and any move, so please do your best to help me make this team better.
Thanks.

Heatran pretty much destroys this team. You really don't need Skarmory on this team. You should replace it with this for some fire power:

Kingdra@(whatever item you want)
Adamant
6hp/252Atk/252Spe
Waterfall
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Yawn

I think this will help your team out big time.

Hello

To the individual sets, on Metagross change Earthquake or Explosion over Ice Punch and on the evs put a little bit to SpDef so you'll never be OHKOed by Azelf's Fire Blast. Add Lum Berry > Leftovers also, to beat roserade lead. Most roses already expect lum berry, so you can sr for free, or just kill with Earthquake/Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch =).

On Breloom, switch the ev spread to 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe, outspeeds most cunes (not all of them, watchout for offensive cune and defensive rotom-a) and, add Leech Seed > Seed Bomb. Your team have a more stall style, Breloom can take advantage from the spikes you setup with your Skarmory, and start annoying the opponent with Sub Seed. Just spore the foe if your life depends on it, or its part of your gameplan. You won't miss seed bomb. Leech seed is more annoying xD

On Suicune, no reason to go timid on a crocune! xD, use bold to take more hits from strong physical hitters like Tyranitar and Infernape. You can also add Roar > Sleep talk, but its just an option, up for you.

On Skarmory, idk if this set really works, but its ok. On Blissey just switch all HP Evs to SpDef, and use Calm nature, this is DP and she walls Special hitters, not Physical ones. With that spread, she can take more hits from shits like specs jolteon, life orb zapdos, etc. Gengar is OK

To the team fix by itself, just make your gengar a Scarf Gengar with Thunderbolt and Trick/Hidden Power ice/fire/whatever , or put Scarf Rotom in Gengar's place. Your team is weak to Gyarados. Scarf Rotom not only will give more gyarados coverage, but it'll attract Tyranitar or Scizor if Shadow is the most obvious move choice. Both are Spike baits for Skarmory. Making more easier to annoy with spikes. If you find Heatran too annoying, you can use Kingdra but i think heatran can be manageable with prediction between Suicune, Blissey, and Rotom if you predict a Explosion. Or even, you can replace Breloom for Starmie coz toxic spikes can annoy you and Starmie is great for spin, its up to you anyways, since breloom can do a fantastic job with spikes up.

Thanks for reading, gl with your team ^^

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
Hey MSB! I actually remember you from fc that long ago and it's nice to see you return back into action. Solid team you have there I have a few suggestions that might even help you out!

I really see no reason of you running torment spike skarmory because the lack of roost. While having brave bird spiker set instead would be alot more use to you. It doesn't beat rotom because once the rotom user would see torment they can play around it and get a willow wisp up and with no recovery move you will be easily chipped down. It gets chipped down by things like scizor and other skarmory users with taunt can set up on you same for forretress being able to spikes / toxic spikes every time you torment and even rapid spin your entry hazards. It can't touch anything and it loses to blissey as a result of not having brave bird or roost. It loses to any physical sweeper that isn't choiced. This isn't like heatran where you can substitute and torment while firing off lava plumes in your case you have no physical attack to use in return. Now we got this out of the way torment skarmory sucks! I would suggest you use brave bird set instead. As for metagross there is no need of using ice punch on lead gross and instead you should use explosion. You should also use lum berry for leads like roserade and smeargle try to put you to sleep.

Skam @Shed Shell
Impish : 252 HP/64 Atk/176 Def/16 Spe
Brave Bird/Spikes/Roost/WhirlWind

Obviously better then the torment skarmory set you were using because you have instant recovery move and brave bird. You also have shed shell to not get trapped by magnezone.

You have no major weakness but one obvious weakness to this team is scarf rotom seeing that it has a super effective move on every pokemon of your team beside blissey who can get tricked a choice scarf if played right making it useless. Sure you could play around it but it is a big threat for your team. There isn't much a solution to fixing this only you can play it safe. Another weakness for this team is taunt gyarados who basically gets off a taunt and automatically gets a free dragon dance. The only thing you can possibly do is bring in suicune and hope for surf crits which wont likely happen being that taunt gyarados are bulky and gyara having the option of dragon dancing then hitting back with stone edge. I would suggest you use rest surf hp electric suicune without sleep talk so you can 2hko gyarados.

Suicune@leftovers
bold
252hp/252def/6spA
Surf/Rest/Hp Electric/Calm Mind

This set would usually run ice beam over hp electric but in your case hp electric would be the right option. Having hp electric also lets you hit the devil vaporeon.

Good Luck with the team MSB!

Metagross is actually one of the most common leads. I would suggest running Lum Berry with

Bullet Punch
Meteor Mash
Explosion
Stealth Rock

Earthquake is usable over MM, but you have 1-2 water types (+Blissey) who can easily take attacks from fire types. And give it a bit more speed. The other base 70s usually run 16-24 EVs, so its your call, cuz they're all just trying to beat each other.

EDIT: Yeah what Rewer said.

Wow thanks for the help guys, I made a couple of changes based off of what was said. The only thing I wasn't sure about was Leach Seed on Breloom, but I'm considering it.
I'm also thinking of adding either a Gyarados, something along the lines of:
Gyarados@Leftovers
252 Hp/158 Attack/100 Speed
Adamant
DD/Taunt/Waterfall/EQ

I ran that set a while ago and it worked well, and I'm also considering a Scarfed T-Tar, but I'm not sure what I'd replace for either of them.

Since your considering adding a Gyarados team, i suggest a Bulky DD one, like the one you said, but with some evs invested in defense so he can come in place of Skarm. With Intimidate+Bulk Gyarados can switch in on many physical hits and not worry too much. The only thing you would lose by switching it in over Skarm would be a spiker(since you can run roar on him to act as a phazer).
Plus you would gain a pokemon that can act as somewhat of a physical wall and a DD sweeper(which never hurts).

Hope I helped. Gl.

Alright, so I completely re-did the team, only Gengar stayed the same, and the style is now completely different, a stall team just didn't feel right for me.
What do you guys think of it now?

Scarf rotom could still cause you some issues, able to hit five members of the team for SE damage...
You also have three fire weaknesses, and as Heatran is in OU, you may want to reconsider...You could easily use a Heatran of your own - over one of those with a fire weakness to change that to an immunity, and then can easily be used in tandem with scizor for a flash fire boost...
Additionally, you should run Agiligross with I belive it is 192 Speed EVs. This enables it to outpace Jolly ScarfGon after agility and 2HKKO with Meteor Mash before it cripples you with 2 Earthquakes...(I'm not sure if Flygon's Earthquake would be a 2HKO, but it probably would be)
With the other EVs, 64HP, 252 Atk, Adamant nature. =)
Hope that helped!

That certainly did help, but who do you think is most replaceable?
Right now I'm thinking of replacing Azelf lead with a Swampert lead like I originally thought of, since Swampert absolutely cripples Rotom and can even hold his own against a Heatran, but who else could I replace in order to get a Heatran in? Possibly Metagross?

I think you could use the Colbur Berry set on Azelf instead of your current set to give you a bettter chance of beating the standard Machamp lead. If you do so, then you should run a few more HP evs to never be ohkoed by Metagross' MM. I think it is 8HP. If you do do this then you should run Psychic >>> Fire Blast because then you can hit Machamp for decent damage when he hits you with the second Payback to finish you off (assuming that first turn you used sr and he Paybacked). I think this could benefit because nothing can really take a Dynamicpunch and Gengar dies to Payback.

Alright well I've made what I hope to be the final Pokemon change to my team, I'm going to start making it tomorrow, any final rating people want to get in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)