It's Hard to Make This Team In-Game [Peak at 89!]

JETZero3

Professional stick figure artist
After not making teams for quite a while (especially in RU, since I've been experiencing some VGC), I decided that my goal was to make a team based around my favourite Pokemon, Cinccino, as well as another personal favourite, Sneasel.

It didn't work.

So I went and based the team off of the core of Houndoom and Meloetta (replaced by Mesprit, but we'll get to that). Though really quite standard, it's fairly fun to play. It also happens to be a pain to make in-game. So that's a thing.

Right, so you start off with Houndoom and Meloetta, since Meloetta hates Steels, and Houndoom dislikes Fighting types, so the two became friends. Hazards were a nice thing to have, and speed control was appreciated. Qwilfish had relatively good defensive synergy with Houndoom and Meloetta, reducing the power of physical threats.

However, the Ground weakness was real, and Durant kinda scared me. Scarf Flygon saves the day, being able to avoid those Earthquakes from Rhyperior, and OHKOing Durants.

Next, I went Clawitzer, because I wanted a powerful Water type threat. Finally, Hitmonlee provided Rapid Spin support, and provided a powerful physical threat.
Unfortunately, Clawitzer is slow, and though it's powerful, it usually didn't put enough work in games to justify using. Similarly, Hitmonlee didn't put in as much work as I'd hope, and for some reason, I never really used Rapid Spin that much.

After a particularly horrendous game that saw my entire team get walled by a Gastrodon, I took a look deep down into my heart, and knew that I needed a Grass type...anything. This promptly lead to Virizion's inclusion. Virizion's ability to set up against status is hella valuable.

Finally, after Togetic walled my entire team, I took another look deep down into my heart, and was all like, "Escavalier". Because Steel type. The quad-Fire weakness didn't really bother me too much, especially with Houndoom and Qwilfish doing relatively well against them.

After putting up the RMT, a couple of people responded (such joy). Mesprit was suggested, considering that Rocks were needed. I definitely saw merit in that, especially since Levitate helped out my Ground weakness. I lost the Fighting type coverage in Focus Blast, but gained something against Rhyperior and Gastrodon. I also considered Mega Steelix, but for now, I'm sticking with Escavalier. Pursuit is nice to protect Mesprit, and the immunity to sleep punishes Amoonguss and Venomoth quite well.

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Sucker Punch

The last time I play RU, Doublade was a big threat, and this was my answer. Now Doublade no longer calls me, but Houndoom is still a threat. I felt Houndoom was a solid enough Pokemon to build around, as the Fire/Dark typing gets relatively nice coverage against some of the bigger threats in the meta. And by meta, I mean the RU Viability Ranking Thread.
Houndoom can be brought in on a Pokemon that can't touch it (generally something defensive or Delphox), and proceed to STAB Fire Blast or Dark Pulse many things. Sucker Punch has replaced what used to be Taunt. Sucker Punch helps against fast offensive threats or Scarfed Pokemon that look to prevent Houndoom from continuing a sweep. I hate to be outsped, so Timid Nature as least ensures the speed tie against opposing Houndoom, and ensures that Houndoom outspeeds things like Venomoth and Meloetta. Speaking of which...

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock
Oh look, it's not Meloetta.
Mesprit provides some much needed hazards support with Stealth Rocks. Since Houndoom doesn't care much for Fighting types, Mesprit makes a good offensive partner, using Psychic to deal hefty chunks of damage. Dazzling Gleam hits Scrafty, which is kind of a thing that could come in otherwise and absorb the Psychic. Grass Knot hits Rhyperior extremely hard, OHKOing offensive variants. Gastrodon also takes quite the hit from it, 2HKOing all but the most specially defensive variants.
Mesprit appreciates getting its Rocks up fast, but it also likes to hit hard. Hence, the Timid Nature and maximum offensive EVs. The Colbur Berry protects Mesprit from surprise Pursuits and Knock Offs, ensuring it lives to get up Rocks another day. It also lets Mesprit stay in against Scrafty and 2HKO with Dazzling Gleam.

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Thunder Wave
Qwilfish fulfills many roles on the team. Let me count the ways.
1. Hazards. Putting up many of the hazards allows me to run +Speed natures, making up for the lack of power that these natures provide. Plus, it pressures the opponent to spin, bringing momentum onto my side. Due to the more offensive nature of the team, any momentum I can steal is appreciated.
2. Type and defensive synergy. Qwilfish eats up the Fighting and Water attacks aimed at Houndoom, and the Intimidates provide the physical defense that Houndoom doesn't have.
3. Speed Control. Thunder Wave is a gross move. It's so easy to just spam it on expected switches. Even the knowledge that Thunder Wave is a thing forces opponents to play differently. Thunder Wave lets Houndoom and Virizion set up, lets Qwilfish get up more hazards, and cripples Scarfers. Is there nothing Qwilfish doesn't do?
The set isn't meant to be a suicide lead, which means that Black Sludge is used in favour of Focus Sash, though there are times I cry when Qwilfish gets straight up OHKOed unexpectedly.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
At this point, I took a step back, and checked what dealt with my first three Pokemon. The Ground weakness was worrying, and Durant is scary. Flygon provided some nice type synergy, avoiding EQs, while Qwilfish and Houndoom could eat up the Ice type attacks aimed at Flygon.
The set was dictated by the item, and in this case, Flygon carried the Choice Scarf, letting Flygon both revenge kill and clean up games with Outrage and Earthquake. U-turn lets Flygon be a decent lead, and lets Flygon scout out moves. Finally, the last move is a toss up between Flamethrower and Fire Blast. Flamethrower OHKOes 4 HP/252 SpD Durant, but Fire Blast 2HKOes physically defensive Tangrowth. As of now, I'm going with Fire Blast, but it's a toss up. The Hasty nature maximizes Flygon's speed, while also not lowering Fire Blast's power.

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
Virizion is my answer to Gastrodon, as well as being a strong set-up sweeper and Fighting type powerhouse. Swords Dance lets Virizion hit things twice as hard, and with the somewhat surprisingly good coverage with Leaf Blade and Close Combat, Virizion can destroy unprepared teams. Zen Headbutt was forsaken for Stone Edge, hitting Flying types that like to come in (Togetic, Braviary) on the switch. While hitting opposing Virizion for super effective is nice, Close Combat already deals more thanks to STAB, and Stone Edge hits a larger variety of targets.
The Lum Berry is used here, as it lets Virizion set up in the faces of things like Venomoth, Alomomola, Amoonguss, and other walls that would threaten to ruin Virizion's sweep with irrelevant things like status. The Jolly Nature is fairly obvious, as SD already helps Virizion's attack.

Escavalier @ Choice Band
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Drill Run
- Pursuit
Finally, we come to Escavalier. Eviolite Togetic and Sneasel could give this team problems. Escavalier is a strong answer to both, especially with a STAB, Banded, Adamant Iron Head. Tangrowth could also be a problem to the team. It's a good thing Megahorn straight up OHKOes it. Drill Run is simply for coverage, as the Steel types love to come in on Megahorn and Iron Head. Finally, Pursuit helps out Mesprit, taking care of things like other Scarf Mesprit.
The 84 Speed EVs let Escavalier outspeed Amoonguss, absorb the Spore with Overcoat, and retaliate with a powerful move on the switch. The Choice Band, Adamant nature, and 252 Attack EVs are just there to look nice. They don't really do much. Finally, the rest goes to HP, since I like Costco...with all of its bulk. I'm sorry.

Houndoom (F) @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Sucker Punch

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock

Qwilfish (F) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Thunder Wave

Flygon (F) @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Escavalier (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Drill Run
- Pursuit

So there you go. A team that's fun to play, and kind of painful to make in-game. Seriously, two legendaries, a Hidden Ability that you have to get via transfer, 2 6 IV Pokemon, and a trade evolution...sigh. At least you care about me Houndoom. Or you used to, before you gained a physical move.
If you made it this far, then thank you very much for reading this thing, and thanks to the people who've rated so far (fran17 and ss234). Very much appreciated. TTFN.

Last edited:

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi JETZero3, cool team you've got there, but I'd like to give some suggestions because your team has some flaws.

First of all your team lacks of stealth rock, very important if you want to attempt a sweep with Houndoom, Mesprit over Meloetta can be helpful to your team, as it provides Stealth Rock, and if you want Healing Wish support too! Grass Knot is a way to damage Rhyperior as the SpDef version can take a Dark Pulse at +2 from Houndoom, KOing back with EQ, and it also hits Gastrodon, a nice Houndoom counter. The Colbur Berry is to take a Knock Off from Hitmonlee or Scrafty and Mesprit can kill back with Psyshock or DGleam!

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot / Healing Wish

Sucker Punch over Taunt on Houndoom will make you more difficult to kill, and it gives you a way to clean up weakened teams, and I don't really see how taunt can help you :/

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse

Stone Edge over Zen Headbutt on Virizion, Stone Edge will allow you to hit much harder Togetic, that completely walls your set at the moment, and poison types takes a good damage from Stone Edge anyway.

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

The last suggestion I have is Fire Blast over Flamethrower on Flygon, this will allow you to 2HKO Assault Vest Tangrowth with rocks and a layer of spikes.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Outrage
- Earthquake

That's all I have, I hope this was helpful, good luck with the team n__n!

ss234

bop.
This is a solid spikes offense build that has good offensive and defensive synergy. Houndoom / virizion / melo / flygon is a nice attacking core and is supported well by qwilfish + esca on the defensive side. There are a few problems though. Mainly there is the lack of a tyrantrum switch in - scarf sets can cause huge damage with virizion and flygon you're only rock resists and both are 2hko'd making them unreliable checks at best. More pressing though is the lack of stealth rock. Defensive cores are much harder to break down without rocks and the chip damage is always useful - add in the extra damage on key threats such as glalie and venomoth and SR is just too good not to use. I recommend running Mega Steelix over Escavalier. Lix retains the ability to check many of the same pkmn that esca does such as sneasel and meloetta to an extent while also dealing with tyrantrum. It gives you rocks though unlike esca as well as huge physical bulk. You can even run something like sleep talk as the last move to cover venomoth.

As for other changes, I'd run Sucker Punch over Taunt on houndoom. I don't really see what taunt does, especially from your description. Houndoom should be insta killing moth with fire blast anyway and mola has scald to hit houndoom too - the threat of NP is too great most of the time so ppl will normally just attack houndoom straight away. Sucker is useful priority and gives you the ability to revenge kill weakened threats and also pkmn like sigilyph and boosted venomoth. I'd also recommend trying out other items and sets on meloetta. Sets like choice specs and subcm would give you another way to break down bulky water types that you seem to struggle with if virizion is dead.

Changes:
Esca --> SpD Steelix
Taunt --> Sucker Punch on Houndoom
Maybe try out specs / subcm on melo?
Otherwise this team is pretty good, hope I helped.

JETZero3

Professional stick figure artist
Thanks for the rates. I've swapped out Meloetta in favour of Mesprit, providing Rocks on the team while having another answer to Gastrodon, and maintaining the checks against Scrafty and Fighting types. I've also put Sucker Punch on Houndoom. Yeah, maybe Taunt wasn't one of my smarter ideas. C'est la vie.

Bumping, made some edits, added replays.

k so the two fellow rater above me sniped me in optimizing your sets but i think there is room for a couple other relevant changes.

Mainly the use of 124 Speed EVs on Qwilfish and especially Taunt would make it such a better team player in a Spikes offense like yours since apart from stopping stuff like Alomomola from passing wishes in your face as you set up Spikes it lets you prevent Scrafty from setting up more efficiently (this is very useful in case you need to trade Mesprit to get up Stealth Rock against a Steelix or have it take hits from something like a Medicham before Scrafty comes in) as well as being able to stop Omastar in its tracks as well as Bronzong and to stop Defog from Togetic from removing everything you've set up. The new set would become then:

Qwilfish @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

Secondly i would personally remove Fire Blast from Flygon. The very rare occurrences in which you would even predict Tangrowth to come in to Fire Blast you would just much better U-turn into Escavalier and fire off an attack and getting a defense hindering nature isn't really worth it. A good filler move would probably be Superpower which does over 80% to Scrafty and over 90% to Exploud or even Fire Punch that still hits Durant and isn't as weak vs Bronzong i guess. Defog could also be randomly useful against random Sticky Web teams that actually completely destroy you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)