Its raining, its raining, its... raining offense ^^

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey people, Anthonias here with his team. I want to know what all of you think of my choices. I do have a lot of odd ball things, but they really do work. So, you can decide for yourself and tell me your opinion.

Politoed @ Life Orb
Trait: Drizzle
Nature: Modest
Effort Values: 252 SpA/252 SpE/4 Hp

Surf: After I missed all my Hydro-Pumps, and my Scalds never burned, I knew I had to look into Surf. Surf gains a nice double STAB boost (rain + type) and it also gains a Life Orb Boost. With that, I can hit a lot of things really hard that I really need to. No one ever expects an LO Surf their way, and always works out for me. Surf does 80% to Starmie, with resistance. *Wounders how much HP Grass will do against it...*

Haze: Why Haze? Why not haze? Focus Blast always miss, and things it needs to hit hard, like Ferrothorn, never hits hard enough. I see no point on Focus Blast on Politoed, and thus is the reason I carry Haze. A lot of CM'ers like to set up on Politoed, and so when I phaze them they are totally pissed ^^. Haze eliminates CM threats, and an entire playstyle: Baton Pass. With that in mind, why not use it? Politoed's psychic is not needed on this team. Encore or Perish Song are nice thoughts, so tell me what you think.

Hidden Power (Grass): HP Grass is here mainly because of Gastrodon. I have nothing to hit water types with Politoed, and with LO HP Grass can actually wreck shit (hi swampert). HP Grass provides Politoed with much needed coverage. Suicune, Swampert, Quagsire, Starmie fuck me over sideways if it weren't for this HP ^^

Ice Beam: Ice Beam is really a filler attack. It hits dragons, like Dragonie, for over half its health even with multi-scale! Thank you Life Orb! Ice Beam really just coverage, and I can use it for Gliscor (b/c if they switch to Gastro at least I will do some damage). Back-Up Dragon killer, so thats how Ice Beam goes.

Why Life Orb?
I used to use a Scarf'ed Politoed. It was working fine, although somethings does not hit hard enough. I would have resorted to specs, if it weren't for Gastrodon. By running LO, I gain the ability to hit hard and switch up my moves. With Politoed's natural bulk, I can take up to one-two hits without defense investment's. The question should be; Why not use Life Orb? People should really try it out, as it just works.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multi-Scale
Nature: Jolly
Effort Values: 252 AtK/252 SpE/4 Hp

Dragon Dance: Dragon Dance is the key to this set. With Multi-Scale, as long as rocks aren't up I am guaranteed a Dragon Dance. Also, when my opponent switches out from Dragonite, you can make that 2 DD boosts :) Dragon Dance has enabled me to win so many matches. Dragonite is the glue to this team, as many things would be able to openly counter this team without him. Dragon Dance is the oil that keeps my Dragon turning!

Roost: What Dragonite doesn't run roost? It heals it by half, makes rock and ice type attacks normally effective, and it regenerates multi-scale. Combined with Dragon Dance, I can pack a big punch. I used roost tostall out poison, and screens before. It works, especially with multi-scale.

Outrage: My only means of STAB. I have Lum Berry for a reason. Not only does it protect me from paralysis, and burn, but it also allows me to heal from confusion. Outrage is powerful, but when Dragon Dancing, its super powered. It can always OHKO a Pokemon when at +2. The +2 speed also is a huge help, as without it I would easily knocked out.

Brick Break: If your question is: "Why Not Waterfall?" I can explain. Waterfall hits nothing that Outrage can't hit better. Waterfall is also resisted by steel, making steel types fuck me up. The most notable steel type is Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn is a real thorn in my Dragonite's ass, as he leeches, thunder waves, and Gyro Balls all attempts of Dragon Dancing. So, I now set up and Brick Break that mother-fucker.

Why Lum Berry?
Well, leftovers is very tempting. However, Outrage's confusion must be considered. Lum Berry always gives me at least 4 rounds of Outrage, and after a DD boost or two, that Outrage is gonna do shit. However, there is paralysis, and burn that really annoy me. Lum Berry also is a great way to deal with those status's, however, it leaves me open to confusion which is not a good thing. Lum Berry is the superior choice in my opinion as burn makes me useless as well as paralysis.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
Nature: Jolly
Effort Values: 252 AtK/252 SpE/4 Hp

Close Combat: Close Combat is my strongest attack, as it is one of my STAB attacks. With Scarf, CC can wreck so many things. CC is one of my only answers to that -pain in the ass- Ferrothorn. CC can also take out a bunch of Steel Types, and I need to take those things out. It make my life that much easier. CC also wrecks a bunch of thing in OU in general.

Rock Slide: With Stone Edge missing so many times, and one of those misses costing me the match, I knew it was time to look at Rock Slide. Rock Slide hits a couple of things pretty hard. Most notable should be Dragonite, as it can come in and revenge him. Rock Slide just provides more coverage for my Terrakion, and provides him with a Dual STAB attack.

Earthquake: Yeah, I need to run this. Raikou, Jolteon, Jirachi, ect. just do not like banded Earthquakes. EQ is just for all-around base power and coverage and can really take on some heavy threats to this team. Jirachi can give me a few problems, as resist water attacks, and dragon. It takes netural damage from Brick Break and has access to Ice Punch. You can see how it can be a problem right?

X-Scissor: Grass Types give my teams so many fucking problems. Thanks to X-Scissor, they do not ^^. Reuniclus gives me shit too, untill I X-Scissor its ass :P I run this attack for its pure coverage that is ever so needed on my team.

Why Choice Band?
I was going for Choice Scarf, but I can OHKO Scizor with banded CC. Banded CC also OHKO's Ferrothorn. Scarf doesn't allow that, and I need that. Choice Scarf can revenge kill easier, but I use Jolly to make up for it. Although, Scizor's banded Bullet Punch OHKO me. I would have to revenge it when locked into something else, but even still. I need as much damage from him as possilbe, as he also hits Reuniclus hard. Reuniclus can't OHKO me, as I can't OHKO it. I however outspeed it, giving me the advantage.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid
Effort Values: 252 SpA/252 SpE/4 Hp

Hidden Power (Ice): Why HP Ice you ask? Simple: Jirachi is my dragon killer. Dragons have been giving my Dragonite lots and lots of bullshit. So, I put Jirachi here. With Dragons everywhere, weather or no weather, Jirachi easily made the cut for my team. HP Ice is never expected, and in turn can kill Gliscor and Dragons. Steel typing resists dragons, and lures in slow Gliscor. Yes, this is my most important attack, as it works very well on Jirachi.

Calm Mind: I am an offensive Jirachi. CM is the perfect attack, as I can come in on Politoed or set up fodders and set up. With my 100 base stats, I can abuse CM's special defense boosts as well. My steel typing gives me a nice number of resistances, and rain degrades fire type attacks against Jirachi.

Thunder: With so many bulky waters, Thunder is a great asset. It gets serene boosted para hax, and it hits suicune and co. fairly hard. With a couple of CM boost, Thunder is a great move to have. The main reason I run it is to hit Skarmory. Skarm gives me so much trouble, and my Thunder always does 99% (sturdy) and I am either whirlwinded, or I para hax Skarm. Skarmory is a huge threat that walls all my physical sweepers, and so I guess Jirachi is also my Skarm Killer ^^

Psyshock: Blissey walls me, so I had to add this. Not only can it hit Blissey hard, but it also hits Breloom (and every other fighting type) fairly hard. Its my only STAB attack, and so my most powerful attack. Psychic does get me sp.def drops so still thinking about it. Water Pulse sucks, as Psyshock provides me with better coverage. It generall works better with my team as well.

Why Leftovers?
Do I really need to answer this question?

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
Effort Values: 252 Hp/252 DeF/4 SpE

Toxic: Toxic is one of the best attacks. Set-Up Pokemon can never stay too long, and it always forces switches. Toxic + Poison Heal can really help me stall out toxic's damage as well. Toxic is also a must on this set, as it is meant to stall poison and to take the teams physical hits.

Protect: Protect is here for a very good (and obvious) reason. To stall out my poison heal, and my opponents toxic damage. This also helps me scout if an opponent is/isn't scarf'ed ect. It helps me scout what my opponent wants to do, and it can stop Outrage cold.

Substitute: Also works with Protect, helps me toxic stall. It also helps me set up a toxic. By subing on a switch, I can toxic them and take a super-effective attack to the face and live. Substitute also works well with protect, as I can use protect all day until my substitute breaks. Who care if it does/doesn't fail as I am behind a sub ;D

Earthquake: My only attack, and its STAB. It can help me speed up toxic's process. It also hits fire types hard, and steel. Steel is most notible. Steel types cannot be poisoned, and so thus EQ is my answer for most of them. Works as back-up EQ for Terrakion as well.

Why Toxic Orb?
To get Poiso Heal started

Why not Facade, or Ice Fang?
Ice Fang is only ran to hit other Gliscor, and my Gliscor does not have to even do that. Facade is supposed to hit Rotom, but honestly its no real big threat other than him passing a scarf or specs to one of my teammates. Toxic Stalling is way better for him as well ^.^

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
Nature: Calm
Effort Values: 80 HP / 176 Def / 252 SDef

Rest: Rest is the main reason why I use it. With my ability, Hydration, I can instantly wake up! Wiith my walling abilities, my Vaporeon becomes really hard to take out! Rest cures status and gets me to 100% HP ^^

Roar: I feel roar is important. Baton Pass teams are really a pain, as well a set-up sweepers. So, I have a field day with my roar. Its my only means of roar for my team, and works out well for me.

Scald: Burn is much needed on my team, and so Scald finds a place on my team. Scald gains the same double STAB that surf gets, and provides burn. With my defenses, I can wall both types of attacks when an opponent is burned[/b]

Toxic: With rest, I can perform a nice toxic stalling. Combined with my other wall, Gliscor, I can toxic stall anything and everything that gets poisoned. I pretty much have an answer to Pokemon who cannot be toxic'ed.

Threats

The only real threats are:

Reuniclus (Hits my team hard, and my only answer is to try a 2HKO with terrakion, that and Politoed.)
Scizor (Scald on Vaporeon is my main way of dealing with it, that and Politoed. Politoed can outspeed the average Banded Scizor, and Surf and Life Orb have a min. max damage of OHKO or 2HKO. With that, its a threat if I do not weaken him from the start.)

There you have it folks, please leave a comment on what you think about this team :)

You seem very weak to Rotom-W, especially the scarfed one as it can outspeed your terakion as well and really hit everything hard. To solve this, a grass type like Virizion or Ferrothorn (your team would appreciate hazards) could work.

On Dragonite I would rather run a bulkier spread with dragon claw, lefties and earthquake, just to be a better tank.

I like Politoed but maybe try Perish Song instead of Haze, forcing switches is nice. Haze is fine if you like it, though.

If you have troubles with Reuniclus make your Jirachi specially defensive.

I would consider a more offensive Vaporeon with LO having rest to heal off the damage (maybe also running enough speed to outspeed adamant Scizor). But should you do this, you would also need to change your Politoed set to avoid them being too similar. It's up to you really.

Good luck!

Your main weakness lies with the common rotom-w scizor offensive core. Different versions of rotom-w can take on gliscor, vaporeon, terrakkion, politoed, and even dragonite if some carry HP ice. While scizor OHKO's terrakkion, can do damage to jirachi with u-turn and do some decent damage to dragonite. Especially since you don't have a spinner, stealth rock will make your dragonite basically an average dragon without multiscale, you may as well run haxorus.

The main worry by the looks of things is rotom-w, and i don't see terrakkion doing much for the team other than its basically your only check for ferrothorn, i'd suggest swapping it to something which can kill ferrothorn and sponge attacks from rotom-w: Virizon

I noticed at the beginning you said you like doing odd-ball things, so i'll suggest a couple of unique sets for a little extra surprise

Virizon @ leftovers/life orb
Naive/Jolly nature
252spe/252atk/4hp
-swords dance
-leaf blade
-close combat
-Hidden power (ice)/stone edge

Most people expect the calm mind variant so can cause some damage when they switch and you SD up. Or an even more controversial set...:

Virizon @ leftovers/life orb
Naive/
252spe/132atk/120spa
-work up
-close combat
-giga drain
-hidden power (ice)

Or of course the classic calm mind variant its up to you, i think virizon could be a good addition to your teams synergy, while is always great on a rain team since it counters opposing politoeds and tyranitars.

Good luck!

Substitute is a much better Ferrothorn counter on Dragonite than Brick Break. Brick Break deals little damage due to its low power and non STAB, plus rock helmet and iron barbs can ruin Dragonite's Hp reserves. With Substitute, Dragonite can completely block Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, and Toxic, which all pose serious threat to him. It's also nice to see Haze on Politoed, and it usually works well. Perish Song is definitely worth trying out, and you may like it better. Virizon is also probably a good option to try out, since it will give your team a new type dimension, but I would say a spinner would be the priority. Forrtress, Starmie, and Tentacruell could all probably find a good niche in your team. With Forrtress you could have hazards and a spinner. Starmie would be an excellent spinner and sweeper. Tentacruell could lay Toxic Spikes and be a spinner. I would take the time to try each of them out and see what works.
Good Luck Anthonias

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, this is a very solid team. Haze on Politoed is an interesting idea, but I think it would work better on a more Defensive Politoed. Keeping Politoed alive is very important especially when facing a sun team, and Life Orb is not going to help that at all. Try going with a Physically Defensive variant with Scald, Toxic, Haze, and Protect. This gives you perfect status coverage against every mon except Heatran, who wont enjoy taking rain boosted Scalds anyways. Haze can shut down set up booster, while Protect can be used to scout, whore Leftovers recovery, and rack up status damage. It is also a better partner for Gliscor. Even though Politoed has less Offensive presence, you can take advantage of Politoed statusing half the opponent's team and proceed to stall everybody out with Subtect.

Mynism's Toxicroak can easily set up on either Politoed or Vaporeon and proceed to sweep your team. Your only chance of beating it is Terrakion, who has no business switching in, and could potentially Earthquake into a ground immune, leading to another set up opportunity for the opponent. Although it has a more difficult time setting up, SD Lucario with Bullet Punch could give this team some problems. +2 Bullet Punch OHKOs Terrakion, so that wont work either. Gliscor never really needed Defense EVs for anything except Excadrill. Now that its banned, you may as well run Speed. Furthermore, you are running a Subtect variant, and will often not even be taking any direct hits. Go with a 252 Hp/ 40 Def/ 216 Spe spread to outspeed Lucario and Toxicroak. You might miss the ability to take CB Close Combat as well, but once again, Gliscor will rarely be taking a direct hit.

As you've already stated, Reuniclus is bound to give this team a ton of issues. As well, Rotom-W can easily screw over most of your team with a Dual STAB unresisted by your team. I suggest using a CM Roar Latias to deal with both of them. Latias can just CM in their faces, and Roar out Reuniclus that accumulate too many boosts. Even against Trick Room variants, Latias will not be 2HKOd if it takes one hit without boosts and one hit at +1. Latias also provides your team with another important ground immune, and is more than capable of ruining the opposing team. The only thing you might miss is Vaporeon's ability to absorb status, but you already have Gliscor for that.

Finally, Terrakion is capable of forcing many switches with its immense power, yet you do not abuse this with any entry hazards. Stealth Rocks are an absolute must for any team to ensure the opponent can't just switch without consequence. DD Haxorus also currently could give your team some headaches, as Gliscor is your best answer to it, and it can't take Outrage very well. I suggest swapping Superachi for a Ferrothorn. This ensures you do not open up a weakness against the Latii twins, covers Haxorus, and also provides you with entry hazards. An EV Spread of 252 Hp/ 88 Def/ 168 SpD with a Relaxed Nature allows you to survive a 2HKO from +1 Earthquake and retaliate with Gyro Ball. Jirachi atm, is cancerous to team synergy anyways. Since you might end up Paralyzing a Pokemon you needed Poisoned, and now Gliscor wont be able to stall it out.

In Summary:
Defensive Politoed>LO Politoed
pros: spread status, more survivability
cons: less Offense

New Gliscor EV spread
pros: beat Toxicroak and Lucario, faster Substitute for stalling
cons: can't take CB CC as well

CM Latias>Hydration Vaporeon
pros: patches up Reuniclus and Rotom-W problems
cons: will now have to rely on Gliscor solely to block status

Ferrothorn>Superachi
pros: entry hazards, check Haxorus
cons: will now have to rely on Dragonite/ Terrakion to beat Blissey

GL

Sets:
Politoed @ Leftovers
Drizzle
Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze
- Protect

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish
252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Latias @ Leftovers
Levitate
Timid
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Roar

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs
Relaxed
252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey there,

There's two major threats I see for your team and those are Choice Specs Tornadus and Trick Room Reuniclus. While Tornadus fell to UU not a long time ago, it gained a lot of popularity now. It can 2HKO everything on your team after Stealth Rock with Hurricane, including Jirachi. Trick Room Reuniclus is equally threatening as you can't move before it after it sets up, and then everything on your team falls to it in two hits. To be honest, I think that a Specially Defensive Jirachi would really fit this team well instead of your current Superachi version. It can stall Reuniclus' Trick Room turns with Wish and Protect while slowly chipping away its health with Iron Head. It can also support Dragonite and Politoed with Wish passing, which can be curcial especially for Politoed since you don't carry Leftovers, and Politoed really appreciates to have as much HP as it can have in order to win the weather wars.

I also think that Swords Dance Scizor will be quite problematic for this team. If it catches Terrakion locked in the wrong move, or simply set up on Dragonite, your team is gonna have major troubles taking it down without losing one or two pokemon. Gliscor is set up fodder for the Roost version as its Earthquake is extremely weak and you do not carry Taunt. Politoed will damage it a lot, but it takes so much damage from +2 Bug Bite, and factor in LO recoil, you might not want to risk your own weather inducer to deal with Scizor. I think that your team would really appreciate Rotom-W. It's an excellent member for most Rain teams as it can abuse a powerful Hydro Pump while spreading burns around with Will-O-Wisp. It also x4 resists Bullet Punch and can cripple Scizor with WoW/decimate it with Hydro Pump. I'd use it over Vaporeon, as Politoed can give you hazing support and Rotom has good synergy with Gliscor. Anyway, here are the sets you should use:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Serene Grace
Sassy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
-Iron Head
-Thunder
-Wish
-Protect

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Levitate
Modest
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
-Will-O-Wisp
-Pain Split

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)