Is monospecies battle a good idea?

• Yes! I/others would enjoy it

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No, too much work and arguing

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Banana.

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
So lately I've had this idea, of having monospecies battles. Similar to monotype: it only allows one species of animal. Of course there's gonna be arguments about what pokemon is what, so I doubt it'll ever be a tier. Anyways, I've decided to base my team after turtles. I'm hoping that Blastoisinite remains uu, as the pokemon I'm using are mediocre in OU.
With that let's get on to the team.

Blastoise@Blastoisinite
Mega Launcher
Modest nature
EV's: 252 hp/252 Sp.Atk/4 Def
-Aura sphere
-Hydro pump
-Dark pulse
-Rest
So here is pretty much the main guy. He has incredible bulk, so i can invest in Sp.Atk without too much worry. It's unfortunate his only form of healing is rest, however lapras being able to use heal bell is nice. Rest makes Blastoise lose the nice dragon counter: dragon pulse, but I think survivability is key, and more important than countering 1 type.

Torterra@leftovers
Shell armor
Careful nature
EV's: 252 hp/252 Sp.Def/4 Def
-Curse
-Earthquake
-Leech seed
-Protect(?)
Torterra is a nice bulky set up tank, with pretty reliable recovery. His ability shell armor negates all those pesky crits that always screw set up pokemon over, and frankly, I think his other ability is useless with this set. With that in mind, any form of flying types will scare him out, so it's important to try and take those out before setting up. However I'm not sure if protect is the way to go, as stone edge may be more useful in countering pesky birds. Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Torkoal@Leftovers
Shell armor
Bold nature
EV's: 248 hp/252 def/8 Sp.Def
-Yawn
-Rapid spin
-Lava plume
-Stealth rocks
With good bulk, it can take earthquake and stone edge like a boss and force many switches through yawn. Shell armor helps against annoying crits from stone edge, and other random ones. Rapid spin helps take care of lapras's weakness to rocks, and allows more survivability overall. Lava plume has a nice chance to burn, however I'm debating if I should use WoW instead. The only problem is taunt users would make him totally useless. Also, lapras does not have many chances to switch in, so force switching with yawn is important. Stealth rock is there for a backup. (No extra sticky web :/_)

Carracosta@leftovers
Solid rock
Impish/Relaxed nature
EV's: 252 hp/252 def/4 Sp.Def
-Protect
-Toxic
-Knock off
-Rest/Scald
With nice defense and a great ability, it's a great tank. Toxic stall is useful with knock off, as it gets rid of leftovers on other walls. Protect is there for obvious reasons. The last move slot is something I'm not sure about, because rest is good recovery with heal bell, however scald is good for physically attacking steel types, as it can burn them(since steel is immune to toxic). Ferrothorn has been a thorn in the side (puns) to deal with, but with torkoal around, it's not so bad.(later, in the uu stages, I'm sure ferroseed will be similar)

Lapras@leftovers
Water absorb
Calm nature
EV's: 248 hp/252 Sp.Def/8 Def
-Heal bell
-Ice beam
-Toxic
-Protect
The main support of this team: allows the rest users to be useful, and keeps torterra from being burned. Ice beam is mainly to make up for Mblastoise's lack of dragon coverage. Toxic and protect synergize well. Since the amount of specially defensive turtles are lacking, this functions as a special wall.
And the set you've all been waiting for:

Shuckle@leftovers
Sturdy
Careful nature
EV's: 252 hp/252 Sp.Def/4 def
-Sticky web
-Stealth rocks
-Knock off
-Toxic
Shuckle has always been an unfortunate case, as it has godly defenses, but not enough hp to back it up. This generation, however, has given this sturdy turtle (yay for puns) a new hope. It now has access to the rare sticky web, plus stealth rocks, so it can pretty much guarentee a set up of one or the other. I might use custap berry in place of leftovers, as it may increase the odds of getting both hazards up, but it has such good bulk that it might be able to tank 2+ hits with lefties.

Overall this team is (not surprisingly) very defense oriented. So while it can't be confirmed, I'm guessing that this team will be UU, but if Blastoisinite is banned to OU, I may have to change things up a bit.
It seems to do OK in OU, this is probably a mixture of things: #1(I hope this is the main reason...) is that this team is good. #2 I'm a somewhat new user to OU, so my rating is low, and therefore I run into generally weaker people. And #3 the tiers are still being figured out, so people are making teams in which they don't know what they're doing. Help is appreciated if there's any better sets to what I have. Also with all the new pokemon, I don't know how to invest the EV's at the moment, as I don't know what can and can't OHKO and stuff, so I just went with the most obvious EV spreads.

Last edited:
I never knew what to call those teams so I just started saying same "kind" of pokemon. My competitive teams are always made of turtles, ever since Diamond and Pearl!
And sometimes you'll find in-game trainers with same "kind" teams.

This team looks good.
Shuckle will always be debatable as a turtle, because he is a bug type (but there is such a thing as a turtle bug in real life)
Lapras, a plesiosaurus, is debatable as well but is still similar to the turtle Archelon in some ways.

Possible Additions:
Wartortle/Grotle + Eviolite
Aron, this guy is amazingly cute and has the infamous (Level 1 Sturdy+Endeavor Combo) which can be devastating if ever caught off guard. Look it up.
Avalugg is very reminiscent of a turtle to me, but probably just a Metagross / Gigalith ice variant.

Your sets look good.
Don't overlook regular blastoise either. He now in XY has access to Water Spout+Aqua Ring with Rain Dish which he loses if mega evolves. This could be a nice niche while holding leftovers.

Plus when "Torterranite" is finally released you might want this guy to mega evolve instead.
Torterra also works with a highly aggressive set in Rock Polish, Earthquake, Seed Bomb, Stone Edge

Torkoal always had a hard time until I managed to dish out tons of damage with Eruption, coupled with a Heal Pulse user.

Carracosta weaknesses are too common, and he always worked better as an aggressive type in Stone Edge, Waterfall, Earthquake, Shell Smash

I will say I have tried to make an ALL turtle double team, and I couldn't make it work.
And my team really started to shine when I added support members. Others who could block potential special attackers and set things up a lot faster.
So this way the turtles are still the stars of the battle but you also have other members that help create a cohesive battle strategy

I'm still waiting for a turtle Legendary. (it'll happen) :)

P.S. "Don't Fuckle with Suckle" ~hilarious

Thanks for your input. So while it is true that blastoise is pretty good regular, at the moment it is the only mega turtle (darn). If mega torterra comes out I could look into him. And yes, lapras may or may not be a turtle, but its the only thing with heal bell for blastoise. And FEAR strategies are always risky, anything with leftovers pretty much ruins it, so I probably won't be using that. This idea of eviolite grottle compels me, as it may make a nice stall with leach seed and synthesis. I may replace it for carracosta because he's sort of dead weight, even if he can take hits well. And I don't think I'll be using rock polish on torterra, because it doesn't have enough raw power to pull it off. The curse set not only increases his fantastic defense, but allows his attack to become threatening, even after 1 boost

An idea for your Shuckle just to abuse its insane defense and special defense stats would be this set.

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Impish or Careful
Ability: Contrary
252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 HP
-Shell Smash
-Toxic
-Infestation
-Rest

This set is the absolute king of stalling. Shell Smash and Contrary boost Shuckle's defenses to insane levels, which means it can stall everything that isn't a Steel-type with Toxic. Infestation traps the opponent until it gets KO'd by Toxic, and it can't do anything to Shuckle with it's boosted defenses.

An idea for your Shuckle just to abuse its insane defense and special defense stats would be this set.

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Impish or Careful
Ability: Contrary
252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 HP
-Shell Smash
-Toxic
-Infestation
-Rest

This set is the absolute king of stalling. Shell Smash and Contrary boost Shuckle's defenses to insane levels, which means it can stall everything that isn't a Steel-type with Toxic. Infestation traps the opponent until it gets KO'd by Toxic, and it can't do anything to Shuckle with it's boosted defenses.
I've used variants of this set, however if I do that, I lose the ability to set up rocks and webs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)