ITT post musically interesting tracks

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Title. Plz introduce me to more interesting music.

Music which imitates/invokes the world around us:

Interesting use of counterpoint (three movements; one guitarist records every part prior to performing):

Listen with headphones:

This changes time signature constantly:

23/16 time signature:

This changes key 42 times in just over 5 minutes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Musical_Offering

Last edited:
this song has such a weird and dissonant and COOL vocal style to it man it sounds so spooky

this is a pretty well-known 90s grunge song i think, but the cool thing about it is that it alternates between 7/4 and 8/4 time signature. you'd never really guess it though from how compelling it is, rhythmically. it's got kind of a shambling quality to it that i find really appealing.

i'm pretty sure this song is in like, five different time signatures. system of a down in general has a lot of really weird, interesting songs, but this one stands out as one that i can point to as being like, interesting from a technical standpoint.

cake as a band isn't really known for its instrumental tracks (there aren't that many of them, which is fine because john mccrea's vocals are just so damn cool - most people know their song "the distance", which is probably the best example) but this is probably one of my favorite songs by them. it's got a lot of like, interesting push and pull to it and this kind of, um, visceral sense of spiraling despair.

i'm not too musically literate, so i'll leave it to a blogpost of someone who is musically literate to explain some stuff
I got out an instrument and started analysing the harmony for “New” – it didn’t take long. The song has only four chords, and these are Am, Dm, Bb, F – this never changes. The backing becomes louder and softer, rhythm and melody are given greater or less emphasis, but the harmony is completely static. So using traditional music theory functional harmony which would determine the start of the four-chord sequence as the root of the song, that would translate to i-iv-bII-VI… which mathematically means the song is tonally in “A phrygian” mode? The melody fits this as well, however the song doesn’t even remotely have the flamenco-esque “modal” sound that is present in obvious phrygian-raised-3rd pieces such as Dick Dale & The Del Tones’ “Misirlou” or any number of thrash metal guitar solos. So if it’s not phrygian, what is it – minor or major? Perhaps the Am is an anacrusis (or hangover from the end of the previous four) and the Dm is the start of the sequence, meaning that in functional harmony the song is i-vi-III-v, but that doesn’t quite fit either, the song’s melody has a joyous sound which is much more in keeping with major tonality than minor. Now if we’re talking major scales, then this would mean that the true chord progression is iii-vi-IV-I, so in other words the root chord or the “home base” of the song is the F major which is the last chord in the sequence of four chords. I can’t think of another example off the top of my head in any commercial pop music anywhere that fucks with a four chord structure in this way by making you wait for the key harmony for the first three chords (I’m not talking about intros, I’m talking about simple chords in the body of the song). As a result, because the song takes that fucking long to resolve (a three chord wait before the root chord hits for the first time is an eternity in any pop song sequence, let alone one where those four chords are literally all there is) the song constantly feels like it’s on a forward journey. This harmonic movement actually forms the conceptual basis of the song itself which is then also manifested further by the churning rhythms, a melody that also rarely resolves by skating around the root more often than not, and also is then reflected lyrically as well as thematically with the music video. “New” actually surprised me by genuinely living up to its name and being a new, fresh sound – there simply isn’t another k-pop song remotely like this anywhere right now.

WITCH - Chifundo

Tommy Guerrero - Another Brother Gone

Canray Fontenot - Les Barres De La Prison

Mcbaise - She's a Big Boy

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I find it very musically interesting that pretty much anyone with exposure to the canon of western music would describe certain songs with the same adjectives. Admittedly, a lot of it is evoked by lyrics, but I think even a non-english speaker would still come pretty close from the chord structure, instrumentation, etc. Some portion of it is an accepted musical language in the western canon. If you can't separate the lyrics, then another way to think of it perhaps would be songs that best matched music to the lyrical content (assuming lyrics were written first, which is not necessarily the case).

tornadoland - regina spektor: anxiety, confusion
just for now - imogen heap: calm, zen
fugitive - indigo girls: internal conflict/struggle/division.

Some other songs that really exemplify an emotion but are conveying more straightforward emotions that result in less musically interesting songs are:
malibu - miley cyrus: breezy, summer
the house that built me - miranda lambert: nostalgia for childhood, loss of innocence.
anna sun - walk the moon: nostalgia for young adulthood, glory days, partying

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Samuel Barber's postmodern excursions are some of my favorite pieces of solo piano music. Movements 1 and 4 are my favorites, but they all represent difference scenes in American life, from frantic industrialization to the fresh air of the plains. If you enjoy this sort of thing, you might want to listen to Ravel (my favorite is his toccata), Busoni's work (specifically on Bach's TRANSCENDENT chaconne (listen starting at 2:30 if you're bored)), and anything by Gerswhin, particularly this gem.

The Fratellis do a lot of interesting things with their music; I specifically love their single 'Flathead' which has a catchy chorus which busts into 7/8 meter. If you like this style of music, I can't recommend Hot Chelle Rae's first album (it sounds nothing like the songs they're known for now) with grungy bass lines in hits like 'Queen of the Scene' and 'Say (Half Past Nine).' The aforementioned group Cake has some excellent numbers like this too.

Not sure I could talk about interesting music to listen to without mention Vulfpeck. I won't spout off their Wikipedia page, but I think they're doing incredible work with shocking consistency. Their music incorporates organic synths, poppy bass lines by Joe Dart, and some of the most fun video-editing I've ever seen. Their most famous hits include Back Pocket and 1612, but I prefer their peppier numbers, like Conscious Club, Sky Mall, and of course, Animal Spirits.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
The trailers for Valorant have been introducing me to extremely good music, considering my favorite type of music is taking mainstream music and introducing a uniqueness to it, though I would like to highlight the two that I believe are the most musically interesting:
Laurent Dury - The Grand Duchess (Remix)
I've heard a lot of songs that clash between classical orchestra and modern electronic, though this is definitely the best one I've ever heard. I especially love the way the two genres of music are mixed together in a way so that neither of them overtake the other. It's definitely a beautiful yet groovy listen.

Hyume - Confused
I'm a sucker for a songs that have even just a drop of uniqueness to make it stand out immensely. There's something about the background instruments and voices that really make this song so good, but it's hard to pinpoint a good word to describe it.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Really interesting band for y'all: Warp 11.
Specific album: Borgasm
They do star trek-themed music, and are really interesting and good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)