SV OU Jinx: Eject Pack HO (Peaked #35 1901)

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
35th1901lengloi.png

Please excuse the terrible GXE on 'leng loi'

Jinx: an Eject Pack HO

The Team:

Team Building Process:
Full disclaimer, the idea to pair Eject Pack Ghold and Tusk with Spikes did not originate in my brain but in the brain of a ladder opponent. They used a similar team to the final version of this, but I built from that core up and refined the team based on hundreds of games of testing and feedback from friends. To start, I loved that this item could turn HO into a kind of "volt-turn" team with spikes up, softening the many defensive mons in the tier that lack recovery such as Ting-Lu, Great Tusk, and Rotom-W, as well as gaining momentum. That felt like a good enough place to start, so I thought my wincon cleaning crew ought to be able to take advantage of weakening those Pokemon. First was Agility Iron Moth, a potent sweeper or breaker depending on the matchup, that benefitted immensely from the breaking of things like Ting-Lu and Water types. Next was Taunt Iron Jugulis, a mon that I have gained appreciation for on HO squads after seeing LoseToRU? succeed with it. Taunt helps prevent countersweeps from dangerous threats to the team like Dragonite and Baxcalibur, it prevents hazards, and it breaks potentially problematic answers to Iron Moth like Toxapex and Clodsire. Finally, I needed a set-up sweeper that benefitted Gholdengo + Great Tusk's shenanigans and helped the team against Volcarona, a major problem to this point. The answer was Tera Fire Dragonite, a monster of a Pokemon that I have grown to love even more than the Tera Normal version. And there's the team. So, without further adieu, Jinx. (Plays Album)

M.R. (Meowscarada)
1677163193125.png

M.R. (Meowscarada) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overgrow
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Taunt

Meow is the hazard lead of the team. It's the one I'm most comfortable with on HO and offers the most flexibility in terms of non-lead utility. For example, keeping sash in-tact for the mid-late game can be a great win-con against runaway rain sweepers etc. As for the moveset, this has become fairly standard since Pinecoishot did his RMT, but here goes. Leaf Storm offers an OHKO on Tusk while doing absurd damage in Overgrow range to plenty of common mons. Knock is one of the best moves in the game and is instrumental in beating Bootspam stalls (along with Jugulis), and offers secondary STAB. Spikes and Taunt are the bread and butter of the set, chipping teams and preventing opposing hazards/Defog.

Jinx (Gholdengo)
1677164290844.jpeg

Jinx (Gholdengo) @ Eject Pack
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Recover

Gholdy, the namesake of the team. NP Ghold seems to have been on a downswing on high ladder lately in favor of Scarf, but it is still an incredible breaker and wincon. The addition of Eject Pack sacrifices the ability to "counter" Garganacl (unless it's Curse EQ ban this mon) in order to gain momentum and/or fire off +2 Make It Rains on things like Ting Lu without being worried about staying in on an EQ. Originally, I had a bulkier set with minimal speed, and I sometimes am tempted by the utility that living certain SE hits would bring, but I think that max/max is generally better. Tera Flying + Eject button gives you minimal counterplay against DDnite, a mon that is a huge problem for this team otherwise.

Pt. III (Great Tusk)
Great Tusk - #984 - Serebii.net Pokédex

Pt. III (Great Tusk) @ Eject Pack
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Offensive Great Tusk feels underwhelming to me usually, but turning the extremely powerful Headlong Rush/CC into a glorified U-Turn alongside nearly guaranteed early-game spikes offers incredibly value in the early-game. Other than that, Tusk checks numerous physical threats and fires back with its own incredible attack, or rapid spins to clean against opposing offense teams. Rocks are obligatory but actually have a really cool interaction with Eject Pack by making Rocking on incoming Great Tusks and Corviknights less punishing. Tera Water was an addition after considerable testing to improve the team's matchup against Baxcalibur and Floatzel.

Nina (Iron Moth)
Iron Moth - #994 - Serebii.net Pokédex

Nina (Iron Moth) @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Agility
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic

Iron Moth is so good post-Pao ban. Tera Fairy allows you to agility on opposing Dragon types and clean offenses, while the Booster Energy-enhanced SpA breaks balances lacking Skeledirge over its non-existant knees. Fiery Dance is an option over Flamethrower, but I find that the rolls make it worth choosing immediate power over the potential to boost. Dazzling Gleam is the preferred coverage option to clean offense and resist Sucker Punch, while psychic helps to break Toxapex and Clodsire. Energy Ball was on the team originally, so if you encounter a lot of Azumarills and Rotom-Washes, it is worth consideration.

And It Never Ends (Iron Jugulis)
Iron Jugulis Pokédex: stats, moves, evolution & locations | Pokémon Database

And It Never Ends (Iron Jugulis) @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fire
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Taunt

As I mentioned, Jugulis is the Mon that my opinion of has grown the most since the start of the gen. It may miss every Hurricane and Fire Blast but it still manages to be effective in nearly every matchup. It is the only thing we have to outspeed Dragapult and non-Booster/Scarf Valiant, and OHKOs both. It breaks Kingambit and Corviknight, the former of which is problematic for every team but especially HO. Taunt helps it to break Clodsire and Toxapex without getting Toxic'd and prevents Ting-Lu from getting hazards up. Tera Fire gives you the OHKO on Kingambit and Corv while giving you an Ice resist for Baxcalibur.

Cracking (Dragonite)
149 Shiny Dragonite by ExoticPoke on DeviantArt

Cracking (Dragonite) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Finally, Dragonite. This mon is necessary for the team to not lose to Volcarona, especially Wisp sets. But more importantly, it cleans incredibly well while Tusk and other physical walls are weakened. I will also mention that Tera Fire is a great matchup into Orthworm HOs as well as removing Corv and Air Balloon Ghold as answers. This is also some of your best counterplay against opposing set up sweepers like Roaring Moon and other Dnites because of Multiscale and Espeed. Other than those notes, the set plays as standard, EVs outspeed Loom and Zone.

Threat List:
- This is the big one. Try not to leave tusk in when it's still around or you will get set up on. Taunt on Jug and Meow are there to prevent DDs. Ghold can play around it with Tera Flying, Moth can Dazzling Gleam it, and your own Dnite can revenge it.
- The new Chien Pao and you have 2 flimsy ice resists. Tera Fairy Moth and Tera Fire Dnite are your friends here.
- Specifically Sub Dragon Dance and CB sets. Bluff Scarf with Gholdengo and save Jugulis' Booster Energy.

Replays: sorry I don't have that many

Peak 1909 against sun.
Ting-Lu + Dirge, a hard MU
Eball Iron Moth wins

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this team is sick. I haven’t seen any jugulis teams that don’t use rain, so it’s nice to see that it can put in work during this meta. During testing, I found him to be pretty great! I do have one suggestion: Maybe instead of dragonite, you could try spdef garg? It’s pretty good into wisp volc, setup sweepers, and the treats you listed. I think Tera fairy, with salt cure, iron defense, body press, and recover seems decent. Idk tho, I’m not amazing at team building anyways. Gratz on the peak!

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Cool team, honestly dual eject pack on a HO team is really cool. I watch some of your replays the team is built very well.

Small suggestions is maybe to consider Tera Psychic on Moth instead because I don't think it changes much (from a defensive tera perspective) aside from hitting Clodsire and Pex switch-ins much harder and then potentially going with Sludge Wave > Dazzling Gleam (This is more of a preference suggestion). I understand if there's specific threats that you would like to alleviate with tera fairy so totally understandable (Like not getting killed from Sucker Punch).

Great team and thanks for posting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)