Jolteon

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Overview]
  • Has incredible speed that makes Jolteon a great pivot or revenge killer (will mention Zam, Mhound etc.)
  • Most electric types will be preferred over Jolteon for their power and coverage
  • Jolteon's roles on a team are very specific and that is why it will rarely be used
  • Jolteon discourages choiced electic type moves with the ability Volt Absorb
  • Is frail and susceptible to any type of hazard
  • Priority will do a lot if not take out Jolteon

[SET]
name: All Out Attacker
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Signal Beam / Shadow Ball
move 3: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Volt Switch
item: Choice Specs
ability: Volt Absorb
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]
Moves
========
  • Thunderbolt is Jolteon's powerful stab of choice

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

[Strategy Comments]
Other Options
========

Checks and Counters
========

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Looks ok so far DaSpoofy, but it has to be in bullet point form until you receive 2 QC checks, in which you are then able to write it up before the third and final check. I will come back and check when this is ready n_n

Looks ok so far DaSpoofy, but it has to be in bullet point form until you receive 2 QC checks, in which you are then able to write it up before the third and final check. I will come back and check when this is ready n_n
I am currently editing it right now but thx for the heads up anyway fam n_n

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Before you get too far... I really dislike LO + Volt Switch on Jolteon, and I think it's intensely problematic. Between recoil and rocks you're talking about losing 22% just to do what generally amounts to chip damage versus their switch (for example, Florges only takes 22-27% from LO Volt Switch - which means that after Lefties you'll end up hurting yourself more than your target). Considering that Jolteon has poor physical bulk that causes it to struggle versus priority or weak neutral attacks to begin with, I think it's a mistake.

Basically, my advice as you're writing this would be to keep Volt Switch on the Specs set only, and slash in something else to go in on the LO set such as Charge Beam.

EDIT: Alternately, maybe make Specs the primary set, with a mention in set details that LO is an option over Specs, but that LO recoil and entry hazards cause Jolteon to get worn down very quickly thanks to its tendency to come in and out so frequently.

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Can I just take a minute to air some grievances about the inconsistency of our QC team?

after talking with Hogg and dodmen about this Pokemon, we've come to the conclusion that Choice Specs should be the only item slashed in the main set, reasoning being that Heliolisk is always better as a Life Orb attacker due to its superior coverage options and access to Dry Skin (STAB Hyper Voice helps too), while Jolteon's only niche in UU is being able to outrun and kill Alakazam without having to fear Focus Sash + Thunder Wave variants. However, it's piss weak without the Choice Specs boost, to the point where it can't even kill Alakazam (or even threaten offense in general). Here are the calcs:

252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam: 228-270 (90.8 - 107.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam: 244-288 (97.2 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Jolteon Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam: 211-250 (84 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Jolteon Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam: 198-234 (78.8 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With that in mind, here's how the set should look like:

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Grass
move 3: Signal Beam
move 4: Volt Switch
ability: Volt Absorb
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[MOVES]
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Grass
- Signal Beam
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball as a possible alternative, since it has a more reliable chance of killing Life Orb variants of Alakazam

Hidden Power Ice isn't mentioned anywhere because Specs-boosted Thunderbolts already hurts Salamence hard enough and Signal Beam threatens both Mega Sceptile and Hydreigon.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm fixing everything tomorrow. Right now, everything is copy and pasted from the old analysis. I assume you meant just choice specs on the set you posted pearl.

Me personally, I like life orb because you can clean late game with the respected coverage and also outspeed zam and such. Specs insures you die to krook match up every time. It does suck that jolteon does not kill Zam with LO damage so I do understand your thinking.

HP ice should be a slash since it does ko mence and hits nidoqueen. Especially with a choiced set, you can't think, "I'll just hit krook with signal beam and salamence with t bolt" because you are choiced locked. Because of jolteon's speed, it will be used to clean up late game as well as pivot around providing chip damage and revenge killing. HP ice is a nice middle ground play that provides damage on what ever you are hitting and does not leave you vulnerable to what ever comes in. :: It provides less risk for jolteon and is a nice cleaning tool. Should be a secondary slash.

Anyway, that's just my thought process. I will do as you guys say either way.

I don't think you'll necessarily be cleaning with Jolteon since you need a ton of damage on anything remotely bulky (like, Life Orb HP grass doesn't kill 0/0 mega Swampert even after SR and a Spike), and because priority, Aero/Bee/Sceptile, and Scarfers all need to go too. Jolteons role is more to pivot in and out, revenge killing what it needs to. Life Orb isn't the best choice for exactly the reasons Hogg and Pearl stated. To use your example, you don't even come close to KOing Krook so you're gonna have to predict that switch whether Life Orb or Specs anyway. Jolteon' coverage is honestly pretty terrible whereas at least Heliolisk has some powerful coverage moves to actually OHKO stuff like Krook that tries to come in on it. This is why Specs should be Jolteon's primary item and LO should just be mentioned later (but again, go over these cons).

Throughout the analysis you really need to stress that the majority of the time, other Electric types are by far the better option because they all have better typing, way better/stronger coverage, and are more powerful. The only reason to use Jolteon over these guys is to outspeed a couple threats like Alakazam and Mega Houndoom.

HP Ice can be slashed after HP grass to hit Nidos, Whimsicott, and Gligar.

e: also in the future it is really necessary to just start revamps from scratch rather than pasting the old analysis. If the necessary changes were that simple, we would just edit the analysis directly. Please get rid of the irrelevant stuff like Raikou and Hippowdon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)