July 7* Tera Raid Event Part 2: Rillaboom (Normal Tera)

I was going to catch it in a Friend Ball since I had 2 of them and it matches aesthetically. I bet a number of people will follow suit
Friend Ball I used for Decidueye, I might go with Nest Ball for variety and since this is the first I think the Galar Starters are in ANY non-standard Pokeball compared to the others featured

Friend Ball I used for Decidueye, I might go with Nest Ball for variety and since this is the first I think the Galar Starters are in ANY non-standard Pokeball compared to the others featured
Yeah Nest Ball would look good too

And yeah this is the first time the Galar starters have been capturable in other balls.
Gen 1-4 starters could be in Dream Balls iirc; the way the event worked I think it plopped them in the forest rather than just give them to you.
Kanto & Kalos starters were in the Friend Safari (so everything bar the Apricorn, Beast, Dream)
Alola's QR Scanner let you get all the gen 1-6 starters. SM had Johto & Unova, USUM had the rest. The apricorns & beast balls are available now
Galar's Raids had Kanto starters, Dynamax Adventures had Hoenn starters. All ball types available. The other starters were either not in SWSH (gens 2,4-6) or not in raids (7, 8).
BDSP had all the gen 1-4 starters in the Underground. The Apricorn balls were (japanese only, iirc) events so technically all the balls other than Dream & Beast were available. Technically.
LA's a little different but Decidueye, Samurott & Typhlosion were all available in the various balls from there, or the Strange Ball now

So right now it seems like Primarina and Incineroar are the only non-Paldean starters waiting for their chance at ball availability.

Ok, this game is really getting on my nerves. I just ran into a glitch where the text was saying Rillaboom's using Low Kick, yet the game "freezes" and the reason I put those quotes there is because while Rill never uses it my allies attack animations still played that turn and the timer was still going down. Yeah, I'm skipping the DLC for sure. There are other things I want more for Christmas anyways (cough Mario RPG remake cough).

Ok, this game is really getting on my nerves. I just ran into a glitch where the text was saying Rillaboom's using Low Kick, yet the game "freezes" and the reason I put those quotes there is because while Rill never uses it my allies attack animations still played that turn and the timer was still going down.
Oh that's a classic, I'm surprised you never ran into it since that glitch has been there since the start.

If by any chance the boss does a "turn interrupt" (any scripted action that's outside its regular turn) while you're in move selection / checking party status, occasionally the UI may glitch and prevent you from inputting until the "turn timer" ends and you use the last action selected automatically. The raid didn't freeze tecnically, it's still going (so AI and human allies are still regularly taking their turn), yours will usually be stuck until the automated action happens and the UI fixes itself.

Don't worry, I'll order the DLC twice to make up for you.

As annoying as double shields were in swsh raids, I absolutely loathe being interrupted by the boss taking an action when I'm in the menu. Especially when it's followed by a string of actions where you can't do anything and then if you finally do get back to the UI it's reset all your positioning so you can't just mash buttons to do what you wanted to do a minute ago. It's maddening that offline raids have async issues.

Sv raids and legends arceus have only convinced me that turn based >>>> real time.

So turns out not only did I already have a Corviknight built up, it's literally the corviknight everyone suggested. Mirror Armor, Fighting tera (hell I think i CAUGHT it as this), PP given for Body Press, etc.

Thank you past me, you've save me several hundred thousand dollars.

Tired of having to leave the room because Koraidon entered the chat? +4 and +5 hits getting to be too much to handle? Looking to support a seemingly unsupportable partner?

:xy/altaria:
Altaria @ Covert Cloak / Ability Shield
Ability: Cloud Nine
Bold Nature
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Def / 124 Spe
- Feather Dance
- Cotton Guard
- Helping Hand
- Flamethrower / Roost

Cloud Nine kills Koraidon's sun immediately, so the leadoff Growth goes back to being just a +1 boost. Try to throw down 3 Feather Dances as fast as you can to drag it back down to -5, because once the shield goes up you won't be able to use any more. (Too bad there's no more Breaking Swipe TM, as that would otherwise be the ideal attack on this set.) Don't bother using Cotton Guard until after the whole wipe sequence; it's even better than Iron Defense, maxing out the stat in just two uses rather than three.

The item slot is still an open question. Rillaboom will be using Body Slam in this lane, so Covert Cloak is the natural option, but the thing about being pure support is that paralysis isn't actually that big of a deal, as long as you get those first few Feather Dances off. Thus, you might prefer to risk it and run the Ability Shield instead, which only helps on one turn, but what a help that is. When the pozwipe-Growth-Boomburst sequence plays out, Ability Shield prevents Cloud Nine from being suppressed by the wipe; otherwise Rillaboom does indeed get its Growth under a fully effective sun the second time around. Notably, there's no special-side suppression on this set, so allowing the Growth to be in sun means Boomburst will go off at +3 rather than +2. It's survivable even at that level, but the health might get too close for comfort.

After you're at +6 defense, and Rillaboom is probably at -3 or -4 attack, if you want something productive to do at that point then fishing for burns with Flamethrower is the best you get with Altaria's rather underwhelming movepool. It doesn't get Lava Plume or any other attacking move with more than a 10% chance of hitting the burn for even more damage reduction, and Will-O-Wisp is useless until the shield goes down. Otherwise you can just stick around with Roost and (if your teammates look like they need it) heal cheers, just focusing on not picking up catastrophic drops on the timer bar.

Finally, if someone actually did bring Koraidon to this raid, it's probably with the expectation of going tera-fighting and dealing big damage. To that end, once you see the tera animation on their spot, most of your turns from then on should be dedicated to Helping Hand, letting them do what they always wanted to do, but even better. Hopefully Rillaboom's more muted boost levels have allowed the leader to stay alive long enough to take advantage of that. You'll probably see the negwipe right around the same point that the shield drops; remember that there's a one-turn reprieve at that point where the boss won't do anything that turn except for scripted actions, so you can throw down two Feather Dances in a row and take it right back to -4 for the home stretch.

Last edited:

Oricorio-Sensu @ Clear Amulet
Ability: Dancer
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Feather Dance
- Helping Hand
- Taunt
- Roost

Very similar to the Altaria set above, Oricorio-Sensu is my favorite support for this raid so far. Resists Drum Beating, and immune to Body Slam, Low Kick, and Boomburst, only taking any sort of meaningful damage from Acrobatics. Taunt is nice on here to prevent the second Growth, and on rare occasions if Rillaboom doesn't take too much damage, Bulk Up. I'm running Clear Amulet as the item because when you use Roost, you lose your Flying-typing, and Rillaboom will end up using Drum Beating.

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
:sv/Annihilape:
Annihilape @ Coba Berry
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Protect
- Screech

The ape is back for some more monkey business with Rillaboom. The held Coba Berry ensures that Rillaboom always goes for Drum Beating instead of Acrobatics which means you'll get a Defiant boost every turn.

On Turn 1 you will want to Screech. Then, it's just a matter of spamming Drain Punch for pretty much a full heal on every turn even through shield. Once Rillaboom resets your buffs and ability, you'll want to go for Protect to restore Defiant. Then, on next turn you can go back to Drain Punch spam. Adamant nature and no speed investment ensures that Annihilape goes second (even before Drum Beating debuffs) which is beneficial for getting a Defiant boost right before attacking.

Tera Ghost is chosen since Body Slam and Boomburst are too problematic otherwise with all the boosts involved.

The best partners are obviously the Intimidate AIs.
Not usually a big Ape fan for 7 Star, but this was such a cool set and and Ape is my favorite Mon, so had to try it out.

It’s a bit of a wild ride but works fine (only did in Solo, not sure about others). Cool set and good job!

Something confuses me of that set though. You said that
The held Coba Berry ensures that Rillaboom always goes for Drum Beating instead of Acrobatics which means you'll get a Defiant boost every turn.
I thought that the resist berry would only just reduce one hit and then be useless afterwards. Does it actually manipulate the AI in not using the move altoghether due to doing half damage?

This feels like something we should explore more in future raids honestly, expecially for mons that don't really need a item (es, Iron Hands) ...
During the Pikachu 7* raids, one of the viable strats was actually a Roseli Berry Appletun since that disincentivized Play Rough and made Pikachu go for the weaker Iron Tail instead. It can be a valuable strategy to take into account.

Of course, if the AI has any scripted moves that might trigger the berry, that will be a major obstacle for the strat. Likewise, if the super effective move is still the strongest option even with the berry taken into account, that also makes the strategy ineffective.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Terimas Worldie FYI a couple times I f’d up the execution of the strat it DID Acrobatics me. I think you need to store Tera Charges before Grassy Terrain runs out to ensure it. Without the Terrain the AI is probably now seeing a choice between acrobatics and Drum Beat, so you need to be ready to Tera Ghost by the time it breaks the berry.

Terimas Worldie FYI a couple times I f’d up the execution of the strat it DID Acrobatics me. I think you need to store Tera Charges before Grassy Terrain runs out to ensure it. Without the Terrain the AI is probably now seeing a choice between acrobatics and Drum Beat, so you need to be ready to Tera Ghost by the time it breaks the berry.
That's good to know. I've been able to activate Tera before the terrain wears off so I've managed to avoid Acrobatics being an issue.

I suppose STAB Drum Beating (120) and Acrobatics (110) have close enough base power where Rillaboom occasionally will opt to choose the weaker move. The AI probably prioritizes one move only if it is clearly much stronger than the alternative, as is the case with terrain-boosted Drum Beating.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I ran the Coba Berry Annihilape set several times solo (thanks Terimas for a really nifty set!) and Rillaboom did not use Acrobatics even one time over the first 4-5 battles. But then one time, I made some mistakes and also got unlucky with crits and my Annihilape got very low into red health and Rillaboom used Acrobatics to finish me off. Not sure if the low health was a factor in the AI choice of move there. But considering how many battles the Coba Berry successfully kept the AI from using Acrobatics, I definitely think using resist berries is a viable strat for raids.

I used the recommended Corviknight set to beat the Rillaboom, but that took a few tries due to bad allies... Caught my ape in a Love Ball, I have a friend I traded Friend Ball Grookey with. I didn't farm this raid because of the aforementioned bad allies. Just too many Koraidon... I'm really interested in this Altaria build now, wish I had seen it sooner.

POV you are about to do 5-10 damage and then body pressed to death over the course of 6 minutes
Actually 2 of these Corvi died, i'm not really sure how, maybe they got a unlucky crit, as my Corv has Bulk Up instead of ID (since I use it for other raids as well) and rarely ever got more than 20% hp per hit.

Also one of them had Taunt, which is a interesting tech, if you fire it just before the shield, you'll likely block both a Growth and another Bulk Up.

So what's proving the most consistent option for Solo? Corv obviously looks safest but does it need any specific partners to pull the strat off like Intimidate to cycle? Wanna hammer this out quickly because I'm also playing Pikmin 4 and want to push the next part of that quickly

So what's proving the most consistent option for Solo? Corv obviously looks safest but does it need any specific partners to pull the strat off like Intimidate to cycle? Wanna hammer this out quickly because I'm also playing Pikmin 4 and want to push the next part of that quickly
My Corviknight solo didn't have anyone in particular. There's probably a handful of Pokemon that are just not getting anything done, but there's no "must haves", just "would be nice".

Got it earlier. Nest Ball caught, Corv does work, although Intimidate partners are probably helpful because I came within a hair of being KO'd after the buff wipe while he was boosted. Intimidate partners are probably good for consistency even if not necessity.

I'd say the only thing if solo is that for obvious reasons you do NOT want Arboliva.
Intimidaters are obv nice but can do without.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)