June 2013 attack on Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Fuck.

My 15 alts parodying the showdown Staff.

All share the same password

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
that's not the issue; the issue is whether any of your accounts share a pass with any other online services (eg. email, amazon, google, etc). if they do, change them all including the other services. even if they don't, you probably should change them just to be sure.

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
My 15 alts ALL share the same password WHICH IS shared with my SMORGEN FOREMZ ACCOUNT.

on the hindsight changing my smogon password is much more convenient.

Thanks for letting us know about this so quickly

My 15 alts ALL share the same password WHICH IS shared with my SMORGEN FOREMZ ACCOUNT.

It's not a bad idea (although I think a lot of us don't follow it) to change your passwords frequently anyway, or to switch up what you're using (using the same pass everywhere is unequivocally a terrible idea).

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
My involvement with smogon began in a very casual manner so I used my 'default' password for signing up and making alts..
I never realized I'd be sticking around long enough.

oh come on... everyone has one 'default' password for casual/non-sensitive activities.

But you're right ofc.

My involvement with smogon began in a very casual manner so I used my 'default' password for signing up and making alts..
I never realized I'd be sticking around long enough.

oh come on... everyone has one 'default' password for casual/non-sensitive activities.

But you're right ofc.
Oh, I acknowledge it's really annoying and in practice doesn't get followed.

I more meant this kind of incident is the stuff that scares people into doing it. At least for a little while. And it is a good idea. :heart:

the password i use on PS is totally different from other services i use i never use the same password so even if the asshat did get it he wouldn't be able to do anything with anything else.

regarding this issue... when are these "login keys" going to be changed and who has to change them? I am just wondering because creator of the pokemonperfect.psim server hasn't been online for a good few months and there is a tournament scheduled for net Saturday that many people are going to need to get on and prepare their teams for

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
this is the new public key

the old keys were just disallowed so you will need to edit your config/config.js appropriate before users will be able to connect to your server. anyone with root access to the showdown code should be able to make the change to the file required.

Giving me that though Mikel isnt providing me with a suitable answer... well it is but it isnt. proving me with all this coding isnt gonna help because i am merely a "Driver", so unless someone wants to come onto the server fix the issue and then promote me to a rank that can actually do something... the coding is useless to me. But also like i said, Lutra (creator of the server) never comes online tbh. I am always the only staff member, on that server, online

michael

m as in mancy
you need the host of the server to change config/config.js to the new public key. otherwise, you can git clone the code yourself and run the server on your computer if you desire, i suppose.

Yeah like i say Lutra hasnt been online in months so the server is going to remain down unless someone can get him online as its his server. as for git cloning the code and running the server myself... how would i do that?

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

^

Did anybody read the documentation provided in the OP? Its pretty informative(and always giving me second doubts about taking up Computing)

So what is my password now since you changed it?
The site wont let me play at all without logging in on some account.

Great, all three of my accounts shared passwords, and now none of them are working....I wish I more regularly checked the forums. T.T

(Thank you though for informing us, and warning everyone. I gotta go change my passwords.)

I changed the ones that I think they were equal to the Showdown's account.
Huge thanks for the advice, now I believe i'm safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)