Just another team to rate

Ok, well, I've been using this team on the ladder for a while now, and I've gotten my rating up to 1350, however, I've been fluctuating really badly between 1200 and 1300 because I've just had a lot of trouble with many teams that I've been facing at higher ratings on the ladder. I know that my team essentially looks like a bunch of standards thrown together, but I promise there's some strategy involved. I've gone through several versions of my team over a while, and I've been tinkering for a while, but I've reached a point right now where I don't know how to improve it, so I'm appealing to Smogon to help out.

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 120 Atk/138 Spd/252 SAtk
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Brick Break
- Flamethrower
- Roost

I once battled someone, and as soon as my lead Salamence used Roost they called me an idiot. But leading with a LO MixMence over the SpecsMence I used to have probably was among my biggest improvements, if only for the reason that many times I never used an attack the first turn. Since I often never used an attack, that left the possibility of what set I was running completely open. Roost over another attack in order to negate SR and Life Orb damage has been another thing that's helped me out a lot. Now, as I'm trying to run a semi-offensive team (or at least I was, and things just got more and more defensive), one would think that I'd have a lead that immediately put the pressure on the enemy. And to some extent, I do that. Which set I'm running is immediately called into question, and most people assume it's a SpecsMence.

Generally, there are a couple different kinds of leads as far as this Salamence is concerned, things that are slower and can be OHKO'd, things that are faster that can OHKO me, and things that are slower and cannot be OHKO'd. If their lead falls under the first category, I attack with the most obvious attack, if they fall under the second category I switch to Metagross. If the Lead is Bronzong I Flamethrower, and if they sleep Salamence it's no biggy, because if Bronzong has enough damage I can take it out with Metagross. If they predict a switch and SR, then I take out a Bronzong at the cost of Stealth Rocks being up. Generally, Salamence is very much a team player, giving opportunities for:

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 152 HP/254 Atk/104 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Meteor Mash

A standard Agilgross. I love this thing because of all it can do. Things like Weavile leads, or Deoxys-S leads, usually start off Ice Beaming Salamence. Switching to Metagross is my first move in 60% of my games, because most of the things that can Ice Beam Salamence do about 15-20% at most with Ice Beam to Metagross. Sometimes there's a scarf pokemon that can OHKO Salamence and me not predict it. Well yea I may have lost a pokemon, but it's a free setup opportunity. Bronzong, Cress, and most Bulky Grounds and Waters are the problems here. If Bronzong has just Hypnosis'd Salamence then I can come in and Agility, and then Spam Meteor Mash until the attack raises start coming in, which is risky. Generally after an Intimidate Bronzong can't do much, but it's a risk. Bronzong's generally will have abotu 40% of health left after a Flamethrower, so yea. Cresselia is much the same way, but I have to watch out for Thunderwave. Generally Cress prompts me to switch to Gliscor or Ttar. Agilgross's main function is to bring out Bulky Waters and Grounds. Most STAB Surf's do about 30% to Metagross, and after an Agility Metagross will win out against the majority of Starmies, Milotics and Slowbro's (bar a Thunder Wave from slowbro). Bulky Grounds are much the same, except for Donphan and Hippowdon. These are a major problem for my team, which is why an Agility+Explosion is so useful. Anything that's a major threat to my team that I can't take out, I'll explode on. Metagross is there to help me with the rest of my sweep.

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP/6 Atk/252 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Fang (formerly Aerial Ace)

The newest member of my team. This spot was once a spot for another sweeper, originally a ChainChomp, and then an Infernape. I then put a Celebi here to help out the team with Seeding. Gliscor came about as a need for certain typing. SR helps a lot, but it's not a priority, as I can generally do something more useful. Gliscor rarely comes in, but he fills a need. Heracross hurts this team bad most of the time, and Celebi was'nt helping with that. I needed a Ground immunity besides Salamence because Ttar wants to avoid tanking Earthquakes if it doesn't need to. The same goes for Spiritomb and Metagross, to a lesser extent. Gliscor's typing is amazing, but I've been toying with replacing him, I'm just stuck as to what I should replace him with.

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/140 Atk/118 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Will-o-wisp
- Pain Split

I didn't get why this thing's usage fell, so now I'm happy it's OU again. It is the perfect solution to nearly everything Psychic type. So many things can do nothing to this. If I manage to get SR up, then Spiritomb is even more effective, because then it can effectively neuter Blissey with a combination of Taunt and WoW. I've had a lot of matches where an enemy Blissey and some other Bulky pokemon were both left against a half dead Spiritomb and this thing could outstall them. Generally speaking, Sucker Punch is incredibly helpful, but because SP is dark type, 'tomb opens me up to a lot of other enemy's like Heracross or Lucario. Generally fighting types are a problem, because I can basically WoW or Pain Split.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 160 HP/132 Spa/216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Surf

Put this in for Tyranitar at Taylor's suggestion. I'll add more to this section when I try it out.

Hitmontop (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Punch

TechniTop, my late game sweeper. I used to have Deoxys-S, but this has been more useful. Kinda. Life Orb is necessary to do enough damage, but combined with the damage switching in and the fact that multiple hits may be necessary for bulkier pokemon, I've had a bit of trouble. Generally speaking, my biggest problem is that if Metagross is dead, and they bring out a TTar, or something, 'Top's my only way to handle it. If Top goes in and takes a hit, KO's Tar for Life Orb and Sandstorm damage, it'll be at around 50% health, compromising it's usefullness as a late game sweeper. I've considered adding another sweeper like Deoxys-S again if I were to get rid of TTar and Gliscor for Hippo, but I'm not too sure yet.

That's my team. My biggest problem is one of information. Salamence and Ttar are usually what I send in to take Sleep, but if I do that and one of those pokemon become necessary, it usually ends up in a really bad situation for me. Setting up isn't too big an issue, because I can generally avoid a set up, but if something is getting multiple SD's or Nasty Plot's, it can hurt. Gengar's a problem, because it's generally too risky to switch in TTar on a Hypnosis for fear of Focus Blast. Salamence can also get owned by Shadow Ball, so if Spiritomb gets slept I'm gone. Bullet Punch often can't do enough to Gengar. Ghosts and Steels in general are a big problem, but Taunt from Spiritomb is usually enough if I get it in early. I don't really know what else to say. Any suggestions?

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I see fairly obvious trouble in opposing Gyarados, followed (to a lesser degree) by Infernape. Garchomp with the ever-so popular Swords Dance set will sweep this team relatively easy - mainly because you can't 2HKO Yache Berry Garchomp with Gliscor because you don't have Ice Fang. In fact, revenge killing from Hipmontop is your only threat to the standard 'MixApe' we see more oftem that not. I'm not feeling Tyranitar's presense here, despite its unorthadox moveset. The Sand Stream Tyranitar casts over the field is a negative influence on the team in general, and it must be dealt with sooner or later. Furthermore, apart from the 'element of suprise' factor, I don't see any reason why you're using Tyranitar at all. You mention how the damage Sand Stream causes may be insignificant and overall being benifit for Hipmontop's late-game clean-up, but it's through out the game where you'll be wishing you hadn't summoned the sandstorm.

I strongly recommend we replace this for Starmie. For Garchomp, Infernape and Gyarados to be countered effectively, we're required to opt for all three of Starmie's main priority moves: Ice Beam, Surf and Thunderbolt. However, we do have a solution. Simply use the standard Rapid Spin, Thunderbolt, Surf and Recover moveset, and use Ice Fang over Aerial Ace on Gliscor for Garchomp opposition. This brings some utilty into the mix whilst simultainuously countering severe threats that you originally had.

Hey dude, nice team in all, but I think we can change one thing. Well, I run MixMence as well, but I noticed one thing, Crunch works better over Roost. You may disagree, but if I were you, I'd give it a try, you won't regret it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)