Just ban rain already!

Hi guys!

I've been reading the forums for a few years, but I finally registered here to hear your thoughts about my new team.
(english is not my native language, so please excuse any mistakes)

The title is, of course, just to get your attention, but I really hate rain :P
The last few weeks I've been experimenting with HO teams (I like the idea), but it never truly worked for me...
Now I'm going back to the kind of team I can play pretty good with (good means not as bad as with HO).
You can watch the Youtube videos of my fights (they're all in german)
to get a clue of my skill (rather low) and my fighting style (I need defense to fall back to).
Especially my latest video shows how I failed miserably against Ferrothorn and Whimsicott...

Since I'm mostly playing Wifi, I have a few restrictions:
The only legendaries I can use are:
- Terrakion (perfect IV, Jolly Nature)
- Jirachi (good IV, Jolly Nature)
- Heatran (haven't caught yet, so open for everything)
- Keldeo (see Heatran)

I could get my hands on any of the Kamis, but that's not really sure
Please don't use Deoxys or Lati@s for my team, I have only useless versions of them.

Mamoswine
Item: Focus Sash
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock

In most cases my starter, lays down SR which are pretty much guaranteed with the Focus Sash.
When I use another Pokemon as starter, the Sash gets useless... so maybe a Life Orb is better?
Also pretty good in sandstorm and hail, taking no damage and killing off a lot of sandstorm sweepers.
Ice Shard is mostly for Dragons, Landorus and finishing Gliscor.
Jolly Nature to outspeed and kill Breloom, but I'm not sure if that's really worth it, since Gengar and Skarm (and maybe Scizor) can stop it too :\
Superpower is for Air Balloon Heatran and Ferrothorn and STAB Earthquake against everything else.

Scizor
Item: Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Well, it's just the standard CB-Scizor. Revenge killer and scout that deals a ton of damage!
I tried the Swords Dance set and it's really good, but I love the immediate power of the CB set and U-turn is such a lovely scouting move!
Although not a problem for my team (at least I had none) Ghost and Psychic Pokemon are killed off with Bullet Punch or Pursuit.
Superpower for Heatran, Ferrothorn and Magnezone.

Garchomp
Item: Life Orb
Trait: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

Nothing made me more happy than Garchomp getting back to OU ^^
This dragon is such a beast, once all the checks and faster Sweepers are defeated, nothing can stop it after a Swords Dance!
Outrage and Earthquake are for nearly perfect coverage, only Steels with Air Balloon and Skarmory resist it and that what's Fire Fang for!
Life Orb rises the insane damage even more, although a Lum Berry would also be nice (confusion and burn or paralysis just suck).

Gengar
Item: Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Icy Wind

Timid CS Gengar, wtf? I love it and it really saved me a few times!
Besides from being a nice revenge killer, it can stop all those bad dragons after one DD with Icy Wind,
killing the dragon or dealing high damage and lowering it's speed back to normal (that's the reason why Icy Wind > Hidden Power, at least for me).
Shadow Ball and Focus Blast (f**kin' 70%) are for perfect coverage and thunderbolt helps me against water and flying types (I hate rain!).
I've been thinking about using Thunder instead of Thunderbolt, since I mostly use it against rain teams...
also Trick against Walls and Giga Drain for Gastrodon/Quagsire, Rotom-W and to kill a weakened Terrakion would be nice.

Rotom-W
Items: Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

How much I hated this god damned thing and never wanted to use it, but after some time I started to like it and now it's in pretty much every team I build!
In my latest video you can see whenever my Sweepers are pressed, I can safely fall back to Rotom (or Azelf) and regain some breathing space.
And it always did that for me... when I'm in trouble, Rotom saves the day!
With Skarmory as my physical Wall, Rotom takes the special side.
Volt Switch is such a great move. It helps me against Water types (rain!), I can scout and I can switch while still dealing damage.
The versatility makes it superior to Thunderbolt!
Hydro Pumpe is my only Water STAB move, so nothing I can do about it (it helped me a few times against rain!).
Will-O-Wisp is nice, it can cripple physical threats and the damage helps me wear down the opponent.
Thunder Wave is also a good move, slowing down dangerous and fast Sweepers, but I'm not entirely sure which one is better...
Pain Split is my only way of recovery and in some situations can deal a tremendous amount of damage, but with good prediction of my opponent becomes nearly useless...
The IV split is from the smogon strategy dex, is it still recommended? HP and SDef are really high and 28 EV in SAtk always kills Gliscor.

Skarmory
Item: Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

I haven't used Skarmory since Emerald, but things like Brave Bird, Roost and the new Sturdy gave it great new tools.
Well, there is not much to say, it's the standard Skarmory. Brave Bird my attacking move to not be completely shut down by Taunt.
With it's enormous Defense stat it can often lay down 2 or 3 layers of Spikes and in combination with Stealth Rocks, my opponent has a really hard time switching.
Whirlwind for Setup Sweepers and sometimes for shuffling with Spikes and SR.
Roost to heal back, losing the Flying type can sometimes matter, but mostly it's irrelevant.

I hope you have some ideas for improvement and when it's finally "perfect", I'm going to breed it for Wifi.

Pokemon Showdown Import
Mamont (Mamoswine) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock

Nyx (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Möbius (Garchomp) @ Life Orb
Trait: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

Necrosis (Gengar) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Icy Wind

Hydrok (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Stymphalis (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Hi, there

Nice team! Noting the weaknesses of the team, Keldeo Scarf cause you big problems because water with its STAB, HP Ice and Secret Sword does immense damage to the whole team, it is not enough to kill even the Thunderbolt Gengar with the support of Stealth Rock kills Keldeo with a single attack.
The best way to solve the problem is to give Keldeo Thunder Wave> Will-o-Wisp to Rotom-W, in this way decrease the speed having the possibility to use Volt Switch after, or use Pain Split to recover HP, depending cases, Thunder Wave also help a lot against Volcarona that can become problematic for the team.

Because, at this point of Thunderbolt Gengar is pretty useless, I would suggest Destiny Bond> Thunderbolt, thanks to Destiny Bond can kill opponents apparently difficult to knock type Dragonite after Dragon Dance for example. If you need the move Ice instead instead of Icy Wind board Hidden Power Ice that has more power.

To suggest Garchomp Naive> Jolly and Fire Blast> Fire Fang, which as Pokemon Skamory being a special move does more damage, while Fire Fang to begin in earnest against Skamory needs the boost of Swords Dance, the Naive is not decrease the need for special attack that Fire Blast.
I would use as a tool Yache Berry / Lum Berry> Life Orb. With Lum Berry can safely use Swords Dance in front of a Spore Breloom or a Will-o-Wisp sure Rotom-W then after hitting with Outrage, while Yache Berry is useful to avoid being killed by Ice Shard from Mamoswine and continue sweep without changing Pokemon.
Finally on Scizor suggest: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd with these evs when you enter the field, you take less damage from Stealth Rock.
Good luck, with your team!

Morgens, Hinji!

I also want to check: do you want this team to be OU legal, or are you interested in advice to dominate wi-fi? Other people are no doubt going to sweep by with great advice, but I'll focus on some basics I think you could toss into your game without too much difficulty.

The first thing I'd suggest is losing the Focus Sash on Mamoswine: you've got a lot of physical attacks there, so maybe a Choice Band might be the better choice. (See what I did there?) I'd also go with an Adamant Nature. This is assuming you want to make it more of a physical attacker than a dedicated lead, but you'd want something else to replace it.
If you don't? You could also go Endeavor/Ice Shard, with Stealth Rock, and keep it for a lead.

Regarding Scizor: switch your EVs to 248HP/252Atk/8SpD, to get the most out of it. Aside from that, I don't see a problem. If you decide to replace Mamoswine as your lead, it'll make a great lead for scouting.

I also think you should switch Icy Wind for HP Ice. The extra power more than makes up for the loss of speed, though it does mean you'll have to fix up your IVs: I can understand why you'd opt for Icy Wind in that case. You've still got Mamoswine for coverage, though, assuming you're not keeping him as a lead.

I'd also suggest swapping Focus Blast for Giga Drain, giving your Gengar some recovery - and helping to check Keldeo a bit more, who can fairly easily sweep your team.

That's a start. There's probably more I'd think of if it wasn't so late...

Thanks a lot guys!
I'm going to try all the changes and see how it works out.
HP Ice is hard to get, but maybe I'm lucky wiht breeding!

@Decibelle: I want this team to be OU legal, I'm mostly playing with friends and challengers from Youtube over Wifi with Smogon rules.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)