SV OU Just started playing competitive and was wondering how I could improve my team

Sorry about that. I’m new so I didn’t know. I’m making this description based off the other that I read but if I can make any improvements please let me know!

https://pokepast.es/837900e9b4efd103

The team is supposed to be a hazard stacking team with some speed control to help out the slower Pokémon.

hisuian samurott is meant to be a strong and fast spikes stacker

Garganacl is there to help set up stealth rock. Tera water and salt cure helps out against the water types that this team has trouble against. It has max def investment to be as effective as possible against odgerpon wellspring.

Zapdos helps with speed control by paralyzing with static and discharge. If it gets a free turn then it will tailwind and u-turn out. I made it specially bulky to survive a switch in or big attack to set up tailwind or try to paralyze. I chose hurricane because I didn’t really know what else to put on it.

Kingambit is a strong sweeper that benefits the most from zapdos speed control. It can still function without it with sucker punch. I gave it a chopple berry to survive 1 fighting type attack and counter with zen headbutt.

Great tusk is a great rapid spinner and does a lot of damage. I maxed out its speed and gave it a booster energy to outspeed almost every Pokémon and hit really hard. Since it’ll be outspeeding everything I gave it close combat and it’s ground type counterpart so the def and spdef drops don’t really affect anything.

Clefable is a really good all around Pokémon that also benefits a lot from speed control. I gave it flamethrower and ice beam on top of the standard moonblast for better coverage. The only problem I’ve had so far with this is that it’s hard countered by heatran.

Last edited by a moderator:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
I am locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and look at Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions, and I will be happy to unlock this. Also, feel free to PM me if you need help or have any question. Have a nice day!

To PM someone on Smogon, go over their name on any of their post. It will display a little pop-up with a summary of their profile. Then, hit the "Start conversation" button and you will be able to write a PM just like you write a regular thread.

Why did you choose this Pokemon?
What do the EV spreads do and why do you have it?
What are all 4 moves for?

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
Clefable is usually used for wish passing and supporting the team, if you want a special attacker than iron valiant might be a good replacement,
If you want to keep the tailwind idea, maybe go for offensive support tornadus-t, does basically what zapdos does with a little less bulk and no thunder wave..... but does have taunt and icy wind and U-turn.

Samurott and Garg's roles can all be fulfilled by glimmora, which can take the two slots, and then leaves one pokemon left, and one that should be on a team with h-stack: gholdengo. Ghold is crucial as a ghost type and its ability to spinblock and also be able to set up and sweep, as well as being able to hit those water types with t-bolt.

ALso, if you put in gholdengo, then run the standard iron head/sd/sucker punch/kowtow cleave as zen headbutt isn't really necessary with some pokemon that can cover the type and also the standard set functions really well, make sure you use max speed if you do.

I think that's it......

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey, I just checked your team and I'm seeing a few problems with it. As GiratinaDentist told you already, a good H-stack team requires Gholdengo in it as the main mean to prevent your opponent from getting rid of your Hazards. Second, your team is pretty weak to both Fairy and Fighting, which basically translates into you being extremely vulnerable to Iron Valiant. You're also really vulnerable to Ogerpon-Wellspring, which has the potential to 6-0 you after a single Swords Dance. Another thing to take into consideration is that Samurott-H isn't exactly the best pick as an Hazard setter for a Balance team, since it is better suited for Offense (HO in particular). With all of these things in mind, this is how I would instead approach your strategy:

Big changes

:samurott-hisui: ---> :ting-lu:
As I said, Samurott-H isn't really suited for Bulky Balance teams like yours, since it lacks the longevity to reliably set up Spikes for the entirety of the game, considering that a less offensive team would allow something like Great Tusk to try to get rid of your Hazards more frequently. Ting-Lu, on the other hand, can set up both Rocks and Spikes more effectively, without needing to worry about incoming attacks as much. It also functions as a great Special Wall that can chip the opponent's team thanks to EQ and Ruination, further pressuring it alongisde your Hazards.

:sv/ting-lu:

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Earthquake
- Ruination

---
:garganacl: ---> :alomomola:
Garganacl can function as a good defensive wall that can also pressure your opponent with Salt Cure. Despite this, while testing your team I found the need to have a solid Physical utility mon that could pivot in and out your foe's offensive threats, and also something to mitigate your team's Water weakness. Since the need for a Stealth Rock setter was already satisfied by Ting-Lu's presence, I opted for Alomomola. Mola is a great check for the many Physical theats in the tier, and it can also offer support to the team with Wish+Flip Turn, to heal your mons and itself in the process thanks to Regenerator. With Tera Flying and Acrobatics, it can also potentially threaten Ogerpon, despite not being the ideal 1v1. HDB is overall a really useful item that allows you to freely switch into the field while ignoring your opponent's Hazards.

:sv/alomomola:
Alomomola @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Acrobatics
- Flip Turn

---
:kingambit: ---> :gholdengo:
A good H-stack team really needs the presence of Gholdengo to block any Defog or Spin attempt that could potentially turn the tides of the game against you. While Kingambit is a huge offensive threat, so can be Gholdengo with Nasty Plot to set up and Recover to restore its health throughout the game, further improving its utility as a Spin/Defog-blocker. With Tera Flying it can also pick unexpected KOs against Tusk attempting to kill it, while Covert Cloak is particularly useful against opposing Garganacl, since your team lacks the means to break throught it and it could potentially get heavily damaged by Salt Cure.

:sv/gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 240 HP / 68 SpA / 172 SpD / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Recover

I've opted for a more Specially Defensive set for Dengo to better deal with Iron Valiant, which as I said poses a huge threat to your team. Even if Valiant turns out to be SD+Knock Off, you can easily deal with it thanks to your Alomomola and Unaware Clef. Regarding the EVs, 28 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed slow Defensive Tusk sets, and I also gave it enough Special Attack EVs to threaten the OHKO against opposing Dengos after Rocks damage, as well as other mons, while being Bulky enough to sustain most supereffective hits once.

---
Small changes

:zapdos:
Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn

Tailwind on Zapdos is completely useless as a tech, in particular for your very Balance/Fat oriented team. You lack any offensive threat that can deal enough damage to justify dedicating a whole slot for Speed control, with a particularly bad move as well. Roost, on the other hand, is extremely important to make sure that your Zapdos sticks around long enough to check your opponent Physical threats with its good dual typing and Static. For this very reason, I've also opted for a more Physically Defensive Zapdos, rather than a Special one, as it can deal against Physical Valiant, Tusk, Ogerpon, Cinderace, Rillaboom and Samurott-H much more effectively. 152 Speed EVs also allow you to outspeed fast Tusk sets, potentially threatening them with a Hurricane OHKO. Tera Steel is not a bad defensive Tera, but I generally consider Tera Fairy to be more consistent as it can better deal with Dragon-types and Kingambit's Sucker Punch.

---
:great-tusk:
Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Headlong Rush
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

As I said multiple times, your team is very weak to Waterpon. Tera Dragon allows Great Tusk to not only check Ogerpon, but also use it as an opportunity to set up with Bulk Up and Rapid Spin, potentially allowing you to sweep (or at least deal plenty of damage to your opponent's team). I replaced CC with Knock Off as the latter provides incredibly good utility to H-stack strategies by getting rid of your opponent's Heavy-Duty-Boots, making their mons vulnerable to your Hazards. It also allows Tusk to deal with Air Balloon Dengo sets, which would otherwise completely wall you. I've opted to go max Atk and Max Speed instead of Max HP, because your team already lacks any offensive pressure in the first place, and this Tusk set can at least threaten your foe's mons much more and even break through their Walls to an extent.

---
:clefable:
Clefable @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Moonlight

Unaware Clef with HDB allows you to check opposing Set Up Sweepers with your own set up move in Calm Mind, and with Knock Off it can provide your team with that valuable utility to get rid of your enemy's Heavy-Duty-Boots. Instead of running offensive EVs, you're much better off running the standard Defensive set with max Def EVs, since it is better suited for this kind of team and it's also overall more consistent. Tera Fire is pretty useless on Clef, and I'd much rather run Tera Steel to become immune to potential Toxic attempts from your opponent, while also gaining a resistance to Steel moves.

And this is pretty much it. I find this team much more consistent than your original one, and after testing it on the ladder it performed pretty well.
Here's the link to the PokePaste: https://pokepast.es/729025ee5bf91cd5

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)