Jynx On A Reindeer

Jynx on a Reindeer

Introduction:
Hey everyone, this is the first time I'm posting a team here and I've been wanting to do it for days. I've been hanging around NU for a while since the tierdrop and after spending some time shuffling my team around I've found a setup that tears holes in nearly anything that isn't straight up lucky. I started out around 1500 rating and have (literally point by point) moved up above 1800 while barely ever losing a match. Let's get down to the analysis.

Fu Swellow (Regirock) @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave

Regirock takes the field and fulfills his role as a tank. Since I added Seismitoad to my team I've mainly replaced him as a lead but he still functions as a check to many threats in the tier. I have Thunder Wave mainly to slow down fast pokemons that can threaten my team, like Scollipede. My team is a bit weak vs special attacks so I carry max Sdef on him so he can check more threats and cripple them before they wreak havoc. I prefer Regirock over other rock pokemons because his defenses are much higher and is thus nearly sure to get rocks up, even if I switch him in on an attack.

Possible changes:
In the past I've used a more offensive set giving him max Attack EV's and replacing thunder wave with Drain Punch. I personally prefer how the paralysis support neutralizes the fast predators in the tier and it also gives Regirock a chance to remove a counter that switches into him from the game.
I've never felt comfortable about leaving Regirock behind for a different rock pokemon, but since I have seismitoad as a SR setter and Weezing as a semi tank, I could opt for a different pokemon. So far, he has not caused me to be less succesful.

Rudolph (Sawsbuck) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech
- Nature Power
- Return
- Swords Dance

Sawsbuck, with the looks of Santa's reindeer you can be sure to expect a surprise or two when using him. If anyone has the guts to use a grass move when this beast takes the field he will pay the price. Sawsbuck is fast and with a boost he hits as if he's carrying a choice band. When the opposing team uses a defensive pokemon like Alomomola or Cradily it's a good choice to switch him in as well and get a couple of boosts through Swords Dance. Toxic may hurt a little, but after 2 boosts Horn Leech will heal it all back and force your opponent to beg for mercy. Nature Power is a very useful move as it allows Sawsbuck to bypass revenge killing through Sucker Punch.

Possible changes:
I've considered using Megahorn or Jump Kick instead of Nature Power. Megahorn allows sawsbuck to switch in on Tangela even if it carries HP fire, boost up with swords dance and kill it, creating a good answer to his sleep powdery attitude. Jump kick allows Sawsbuck to threaten normal types like Miltank more before their body slam paralyzes it.
I've considered using Leafeon instead of Sawsbuck. It has equal speed and better offensive stats and a great defense stat. However, most of the times when I bring in Sawsbuck he actually gains a Sap Sipper boost, compensating for the extra damage and making him immune to moves like stun spore and sleep powder, which could trouble Leafeon.

Kermit (Seismitoad) @ Life Orb
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Seismitoad, the newest member of my team. I used to play with special Samurott instead. His main purpose was to lead versus teams with a clear Stealth rock opener and KO it with Surf. Piloswine, Golurk, Regirock were all quickly removed from the field. However, due to a Volt Switch weakness I decided to try out Seismitoad and so far he has done the job better than Samurott could. The main idea remains the same, hit the lead with surf before SR touches the field. He has a modest nature because the Timid one doesn't Ohko Piloswine. He also has Stealth Rock, which sets him apart from Samurott by making sure it's setup isn't delayed much. It's worth noting that he has great synergy with Sawsbuck, because the bane of his existence, grass moves, will give Sawsbuck a boost and force the opponent to play the mind game. Sludge wave is there if your opponent carries a grass type that is likely to switch in. With SR up, it can score notable kills this way.

Possible changes:
I've seen compareable sets with Rain Dance and Swift Swim. This could turn Kermit into a dangerous sweeper. It also supports Jynx with Dry skin, which can be helpful. I decided to stick with this set because his main goal is just to be a good lead pokemon more than a sweeper, while dishing out some hits along the way.

Madonna (Jynx) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Lovely Kiss

Jynx. I have never played Jynx before she got banned to the higher tiers, but now that I have, I don't understand what she's doing in NU, as it has become her playground ever since she dropped. With this set, I've caused ragequits, 6-0 wins and whatnot just by letting Jynx do her job. Most people use the LO set with way better coverage, which helps this beauty catch people off guard. Many threats are forced out fearing that they will eat a high powered attack or a sleep move, which is when Substitute is used. If your opponent decided to pick an offensively weak wall or a status user, you get your first free boost. From there on it's almost a relaxing cruise, seeing your enemies drop one by one. Scarf users and other fast pokemons can pose a big issue to Jynx, but behind a substitute, these pokemons are no longer threatening.

Possible changes:
A choice scarf set gives Jynx a more solid answer to pokemons like scollipede and Braviary, which can threaten my team. A life Orb set may be easier to use when trying to clean up the field, but I think the surprise factor this Jynx provides and the sheer annoyment caused by this set provide enough reasons to keep her in.

Italian Chef (Skuntank) @ Dread Plate
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 36 Spd / 252 Atk / 220 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Skuntank, this stinky badass has been one of my favorite pokemons ever since I started playing NU. He's undeniably the best answer to the ghost and psychic pokemons roaming around the tier attempting to set up calm minds in front of my team. I use a Dread Plate with Crunch on his set, because I want him to do just that job in the best way he possibly can. Poison Jab provides redundant coverage and the extra damage on the dark attacks certainly helps not just in doing his job, but also adding residual damage to fast sweepers. Crunch also enables Skuntank to take out a Haunter who is smart enough to play the Sub/disable game. Having taunt on him is great, I often use it as an opener vs Ninjask teams, which could otherwise get turns of setup in.

Possible changes:
I honestly don't think that there are pokemons that can do Skuntanks job, however, psychic and ghost pokemons don't form a significant threat to my team. Maybe something like a special wall or a healer could fit in my team better. Skuntank has always worked well for me though. It may also be noteworthy that I truly enjoy the Sucker Punch/Pursuit mindgames he get's himself into, and having fun is what it's all about right?

Levitating Turd (Weezing) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Pain Split
- Clear Smog
And then there's Weezing. Smoking may be bad for you, but this guy has done nothing but good things for me. Without him, pokemons like Sawk, Primeape and Scollipede could basically go wild on my team by just using Close Combat. He puts a stop to all of them and forces them out unless they are willing to risk a burn. Gurdurr also caused issues for my team and he can take burns reasonably well due to guts, but his damage on weezing is still low and he carries Clear Smog, making him useless. He usually is just fast enough to outspeed common walls and can use Pain split to heal up on them. His immunity to toxic is also a boon and can help in stallwars.

Possible changes:
This one may be the most susceptible for a replacement in the form of Misdreavus. Midreavus carries more mixed defenses giving me a good answer to the special attackers in the tier. A Physically defensive misdreavus carries around the same defenses and can utilize heal bell to keep my team healthier. I have not really tested this or tried it, but it seems mostly positive, except for missing an immunity to toxic and not having clear smog.

Playstyle:
The idea of this team is to not let your enemy get into the game properly. I attempt to take out lead pokemon before they use stealth rock, set up on every opportunity I get and try to sweep as early as possible. Jynx and Sawsbuck are usually the sweepers and they often have an easy time setting up, so the only thing you really need to do is kill their counters (which really are just faster hard hitters and maybe certain priority users like Gurdurr). You get em in whenever you can, force your enemy to switch in the counter and you do everything to just take it out. Skuntank can help a lot with this, nearly always forcing faster pokemons to take damage from a strong Sucker Punch and often, because the majority of the fast sweepers are physical, Aftermath. When you switch em in after that it's usually pretty much a done deal.

Certain Noteworthy Threats:
I have not experienced problems with many pokemons, my Rotom issue was solved by Seismitoad and Weezing took care of the Fighting types and the Grass weakness in case Sawsbuck dies.

Articuno:
I haven't seen many of these, but I don't have a very good answer to it. Jynx can force it asleep because it's faster and if it has some luck it can set up. Of course, this is a bit gimmicky as Articuno won't die fast and offensive sets only need Hurricane to dispose of Jynx. Most other pokemons dont do very well. Skuntank can taunt to avoid Roosts and substitutes while basically sacrifising himself to lower Articuno's health and allow Regirock to finish him off, but that's about the best answer I have so far.

Subpunch Kangaskhan:
Normal Kangaskhan can be crippled or outspeeded so they don't cause many issues, but once he's behind a substitute things look a lot nastier. Weezing forms a check, but most of my pokemons can't do a lot to hurt him. Luckily, this set is not too common and it generally doesn't cause a lot of problems due to me using Weezing later in the game.

Flying gem Drifblim:
This guy can be a real troublemaker for most of my team. Sawsbuck is outright destroyed by it, Regirock get's burned and generally outstalled by it due to stone edge not being very reliable, Jynx is outspeeded and Ohko'd once Unburden activates, Weezing can't break subs and Seismitoad can't hit it very hard with surf. Stealth rock helps and Skuntank can win the battle of he's not behind a substitute. If he is, then it could get troublesome especially considering destiny bond. He's also quite rare, but I don't enjoy meeting him at all.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it.

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would support that you replace your current Regirock set for more so of a Offensive Tank set with Max Attack, Max HP, and 4 Defense with an Adamant nature with Drain Punch, as it appears to me that your team has quite some trouble breaking through/dealing with bulky Normal types such as Miltank, Braviary or Lickilicky in general, whom the former can dish out a lot of damage with its offensive set while healing itself with Milk Drink and Heal Bell and especially the latter, which can stall out most of your team with Wish+Protect and Substitute Swords Dance Lickilicky can be a major thorn for your team if it sets up on Weezing or Seismitoed as it can wreck your team with boosted Body Slam and Power Whip, and once again not being able to reliably break through it can come back to haunt you in that regard. Braviary in particular is also very dangerous as it can setup SubBU against Weezing and even Regirock as well with your current spread, and potentially sweep your entire team without too much hassle, so I would also consider running Curse as the 4th move on your Regirock set. While Sawsbuck and Nasty Plot Jynx are the only Pokemon on the can team indeed break through Lickilicky, they also really wouldn't want take the luxury of switching in either. You still obtain the ability to take most attacks reasonably well due to Regirock's generally great bulk. You can also opt for Rock Slide if you want to handle Articuno and Driftblim more reliably.

Another solid choice of dealing with both of these threats is by replacing Weezing with Defensive Misdreavus, specifically utilizing the set with Foul Play and Taunt as they allow you to shut down both of them reasonably well. Taunt is also useful for shutting down Piloswine, who can also be a problem to deal with if you choose an unfavorable lead against it. Misdreavus already deals with the many physically offensive threats that Weezing can with a better answer against Choice Band Sawk, who seems to have a tendency of forcing out Sawk quite often.

Solid team, and hope that my suggestions work out well for you.

Regirock @ Leftovers | Clear Body
Adamant nature | 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 Atk
Stealth Rock / Rock Slide / Drain Punch / Thunder Wave, Ice Punch, or Curse

Misdreavus @ Eviolite | Levitate
Impish nature | 232 Def / 252 HP /24 Spe
Foul Play / Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Pain Split

Hey Agent, thanks for your reply. I definitely agree on giving Misdreavus a try since it should do Weezing's job better, only issue I can see is that I would miss out on clear smog giving Gurdurr opportunities to set up. The EV spread You gave me is 232 Def 252 HP and 32 Spe, which is overcapped though.

About Regirock, I have yet to see any offensive Miltank and Lickilicky, but now that you mention it I can see your point. Losing Earthquake doesn't seem like an issue and I think a set with Drain Punch and Thunder Wave will do fine, thanks.

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, my mistake with the spread. Just basically keep it that way while dumping the rest into speed, which is 24 EVs.

i don't really have too much to comment on, but not having a choice scarf user hurts you a lot. you have very poor methods of taking on spikes scolipede, and choice scarf primeape is free to continually use u-turn until weezing is worn down. i think timid choice scarf jynx might make more sense, because you have skuntank and other team members to handle some of jynx's usual checks, like hypno or grumpig, that would stop it from cleaning up. i don't see substitute + nasty plot jynx accomplishing much of what your team needs.

it may also make more sense to use seismitoad's rain dance set with swift swim, since you don't need two stealth rock users and jynx already carries a water-type immunity for your team. having a timid nature is also preferrable because it allows seismitoad to outspeed and 2HKO ludicolo. of course you lose out on the ability to cleanly OHKO piloswine, but if you take the misdreavus suggestion, you can effectively shut it down with taunt and will-o-wisp without having to fear stealth rock early on.

Thanks for the tips Ium! I agree that statistically a scarfed Primeape wears down my Weezing (currently running Misdreavus, small difference for my feeling) but what I see happening in reality is that Misdreavus keeps him in check very well, he is forced to spam U-turn and if he doesn't I can just predict his switch in and cripple or hurt it. As I stated in the team preview, the role of Misdreavus/Weezing really is just to check fighting types, I rarely bring him in for anything else.

Scollipede is checked very reliably by Regirock who can cripple him with thunder wave and easily take care of him with rock slide (flinches and parahax included). Rocks are up 95% of the time he comes in so there's really not much he can do. If regirock dies Misdreavus can usually taunt/WoW him. If they both die I can generally give up in the first place.

About Seismitoad, you make a valid point and it gives me a way better chance to take out opposing ludicolo. I could try it, but this would force me to open up with regirock more often (to get rocks up) and basically just stop doing what I'm doing altogether. This Regirock set would be ill prepared for ground types like golem, Seismitoad and Piloswine setting up rocks and it gives my enemy a lot more breathing space since my possible switchins versus these pokemons are checks at best.

I think Timid Scarf Jynx can be an improvement (I love playing the other set, but it does not cover many additional threats aside from being able to sub up vs Sucker Punch users) so I will try it, not sure about Seismitoad though. Haven't really thought about how rain will affect my team so it could blow holes that I have yet to consider.

Good question. The only real answer I have is that I don't know whether it would help Regirock to have another coverage move to surprise opponents, or if it would be better to have a SR insurance. Seismitoad is the general opener and setter of it. Maybe replacing Regirock is an idea, but he's quite solid as a crippler and offensive tank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)