Kabutops Discussion Thread

Kabutops, as one of the best pokemons in RU, is certainly viable in UU. Its wide movepool and well distributed stats give its ninches in UU. It can perform many different roles well. No matter as a supporter or as an offensive powerhouse. Kabutops can easily be fit in every UU team.

Stats:
HP:60
Atk:115
Def:105
SpA:65
SpD:70
Spe:80

Just looking at it stats, we can first notice its high attack of 115, which let it demolish teams easily. It has a high defence in 105, but its let down by its low HP. Its special bulk is garbage. 80 base speed is not good, but still gets a jump on stall and certain slower offensive threats like honchkrow.

Abilites:
Swift Swim: if you have used rain dance team, you know how important swift swim kabutops is.
Battle Armor: ...maybe for bulky kabutops.
Weak Armor: really useful outside rain to get speed boosts and sweep.

Notable Moves:
Swords Dance
Rapid Spin
Stone Edge
Waterfall
Aqua Jet
Superpower
Low Kick
X-Scissor
Aqua Tail
Toxic
Substitute
Hone Claws
Flail...(possibly endure + flail sweep)

Kabutops ability and movepool is what makes it shines most. Swift swim kabutops with rain support is a pain to deal with. Coupled with Swords Dance and high-powered STAB moves, kabutops is a threat every UU team must be prepared of. Outside of rain, kabutops can have weak armor as ability to switch in on choice-locked physical fire types and sweep with the speed boost. Its access to swords dance is a big boom to it, giving it enough power to plow through defensive mons. Rapid Spin is one of the key moves that leads to its success in UU, and it is by far the best offensive spinner in UU (personally, i think it is better than blastoise). This armed fossil can certainly make an impact in UU.

Sets:

Offensive Rapid Spin
Kabutops @ Life Orb
Trait: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Rapid Spin

The most-used set in RU is also very effective in UU. Kabutops can beat every spinblocker in RU one-on-one after one swords dance boost, which is not too hard to obtain considering the amount of choiced fire types that reside in UU. After one swords dance, kabutops STAB stone edge easily smashes through cofagrigus, sableye and sucky dusclops. Against faster ghosts which can KO it before it stone edges, kabutops easily OHKOs chandelure, mismagius and rotom with aqua jet. After spinning, kabutops can even weaken the oppositions' team mid-game or clean up late-game. Kabutops is easily the best spinner in UU.

Rain Sweeper
Kabutops @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet / Low kick/ Rapid Spin

With the recent drop of tornadus-I, there is a big rise in rain team's popularity. Tornadus' priority rain dance doubles kabutops speed and increases the power of its STAB water moves for 5 or 8 turns, making it a threatening sweeper. Stone edge and waterfall are much needed STABs. Swords Dance gives it more power, though against many offensive teams kabutops can just power through every single pokemon. To illustrate its power, kabutops can OHKO physically defensive bronzong and SD virizion in rain after one swords dance boost and stealth rock. The last slot is according to your preference. Aqua Jet is usually to stripe the last ditch of health off priority users such as hitmontop before they can KO you. Low kick is useful to hit empoleon and ferroseed super-effectively. Rapid spin is always useful for getting rid of hazards.

SashSD
Kabutops @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet / Low Kick

This set needs loads of support. It needs hazards, some weakening on oppositions' team, removal of revenge killers and rapid spinning. However, this kabutops is a fabulous late-game sweeper. With focus sash, kabutops will not fall in one hit, allowing it to get a speed boost on physical attackers. Swords dance provides much needed power to plow through defensive pokes such as suicune and milotic. Stone edge and waterfall are obvious STABs. Aqua Jet's priority is useful if you fail to get a speed boost and killing faster pokes. Low kick's coverage on empoleon and ferroseed is also useful, though be careful of ferroseed's iron barbs.

SubSD
Kabutops @ Salac Berry / Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

This set is a variation of the previous set, but it forgoes priority or coverage for the ability to set up several times early or mid-game, while still being an effective late-game sweeper. This set requires less support on spinning and removal of revenge killers than the previous set. Substitute is a fantastic scouting move and kabutops can easily set up substitute due to its ability to force many switches. Salac berry is useful if you want to have a reliable speed boost to sweep late game while leftovers provides you more substitutes and ability to tank hits.

Support
Kabutops @ Leftovers
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 68 Atk / 252 HP / 184 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Aqua Jet / Waterfall
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide

I have never used this set as I think offensive sets are better. I just put this because it is on site. Maybe it is useful to get stealth rocks up and spin.

Endure + Flail
Kabutops @ Salac Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Endure
- Flail
- Stone Edge / Waterfall

This set is useful for its trolling value.

Edit:
lum berry for alternative items (credits to hilarious)

Now, let's discuss.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Offensive Rapid Spin
Kabutops @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Rapid Spin

The most-used set in RU is also very effective in UU. Kabutops can beat every spinblocker in RU one-on-one after one swords dance boost, which is not too hard to obtain considering the amount of choiced fire types that reside in UU. After one swords dance, kabutops STAB stone edge easily smashes through cofagrigus, sableye and sucky dusclops. Against faster ghosts which can KO it before it stone edges, kabutops easily OHKOs chandelure, mismagius and rotom with aqua jet. After spinning, kabutops can even weaken the oppositions' team mid-game or clean up late-game. Kabutops is easily the best spinner in UU.
For what it's worth, a Swords Dance Stone Edge does 85% max to tank Cofagrigius, who then Burns you. Dusclops is a similar story. It can definitely cut through Ghosts, but you can't both beat a bulky ghost and do anything else with your Kabutops.

Aqua Jet actually only does about 64% max to Froslass after a Swords Dance, and since it's faster, if Cursed Body kicks in, it can start the turn by Pain Splitting.

The SashSD set is a joke - especially because you told us to watch out for Ferroseed (!)

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I can only see support Kabutops having any sort of use on a full stall team and if you're going to put him there you might as well make full use of him and give max speed with some hp/max hp and Stone Edge so you can still fulfill many roles (sr, spin, emergency choiced fire resist) while also being a Togekiss counter. I am pretty sure spinning+setting is unique to sandslash, claydol and smeargle and if you're strapped for space on a stall team Kabutops is looking not very bad.

All the SD sets are so similar, I bet you're going to find the lack of bulk and lack of speed troubling against the majority of teams. I advise lum berry to make sure Sableye cant burn you and you have a better chance against setting up on scalds.

Cim, thanks for your ideas. Actually, the main objective for the offensive spinner set is to beat ghosts and spin. Unless your opponent has more than one ghost, kabutops can beat any ghost in UU and spin. One kill and spin is good enough consider that other spinners suck in UU. About froslass, you should just you stone edge.
0 SpA Froslass Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kabutops: 57-67 (21.75 - 25.57%) -- possible 4HKO
What is this guy doing to kabutops? I think I saw SashSD in other threads. Though it is a gimmick, it can be effective when given support. Ferroseed sucks though. I am just listing it as a possible counter considering someone actually uses it (NU material).

Hilarious, sorry that I have never tested the support set and can't comment on your ideas. But it seems that your spread makes kabutops a great defensisve pivot. I would definitely try it. For lum berry, it is really a good item for kabutops since most ghosts carry WoW to cripple it. I have already added it as alternative item.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)