Kangaskhanite Tiering Discussion [+Demographics Poll Added to OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want this banned. I don't think Mega Kang over centralizes, he's one of the best mega's for sure but I don't think it's going to be a standard on most teams, there are a lot of other mega's that others are going to be using, and IMO are just as deadly (Pinsir, Lucario.) I'm also a guy who wants Gengarite and Mega Blaziken in ou, so I'm probably not the best judge

In my personal experience my defensive slowbro managed to defeat a mega khangaskan without even doing anything thanks to its rocky helmet, since it´s best moves are contact moves it received double rocky helmet damage, i just had to slack off. I think i would work the same with the iron barbs ability, o even combinig iron barbs and rocky helmet but i think it´s not that common.
In Blaziken's ban, Slowbro was specifically cited as not being a reason to not ban it, and Slowbro actually had useful resistances in that case rather than being neutral to STAB and weak to Crunch.

Yo bro, Mega Lucario Nasty Plot usaually runs Vacuum Wave, and yh beyond breloom no more pokes uses mach but breloom sometimes can appear.
Stock Vacuum is not gonna kill Mega Kanga. You're much better off finding an opportunity too mega evlove and kill with Aura Sphere.

If we're talking counters/Checks to Mega-K, both Spiritomb and Gourgeist Super count. Both can switch into unboosted Crunches, survive the second crunch and burn it, making it useless. If they switch into a Power-Up Punch, they become counters as opposed to checks, and are able to sub up and start spreading some pain.

Just for the sake of Argument. That's 4 checks/counters.

Please stop making these threads. Its painful to read ignorant noobs who dont know what a counter or check is but somehow have an opinion on the most dangerous Pokemon in the game. Just let the council do what it does best and save us the misery.

One thing to keep in mind for Mega Khan is the fact you don't have to run Return. Sure, it hits hard, but as an option one can run Dizzy Punch where EACH HIT HAS AN INDEPENDENT CHANCE TO CONFUSE.

Anything that can break most of the metagame (minus a few very specialized and specific checks) just makes everything no fun.

Let Khan wreak havoc in Ubers. It's just too strong for OU.
Oh yeah, I do keep forgetting that this things doesn't just smash faces in. Body Slam / Seismic Toss / Wish / Filler with a bulky EV spread would make a pretty dman good supporter for balanced teams through paralysis and Wish support, and the damn thing still manages to 2HKO basically everythjng with Seismic Toss. Lovely.

I don't want this banned. I don't think Mega Kang over centralizes, he's one of the best mega's for sure but I don't think it's going to be a standard on most teams, there are a lot of other mega's that others are going to be using, and IMO are just as deadly (Pinsir, Lucario.) I'm also a guy who wants Gengarite and Mega Blaziken in ou, so I'm probably not the best judge
Pinsir and Lucario are good, but they don't run through the meta on their own practically. They do not have the combination of bulk and power, and are much easier too handle imo, since their counters are actually counters. But they have nothing to do with this discussion anyway, and as mentioned, can't be compared to Mega Kanga.

I've found Mega Kangaskhan extremely hard to fight against. The largest reason I feel it's so difficult to counter is because of its decent bulk and good speed. This makes it really hard to switch into. Still, I don't think it's really impossible. Trevenant is a hard and fast counter, assuming Kangaskhan is not carrying Crunch. Fast fighting types can switch in if they properly predict a Sucker Punch and can cause the Kangaroo some trouble. Scarf Lucario, Jolly Mienshao, and even Adamant Hawlucha can reliably (more or less with the latter 2, as High Jump Kick's 90 accuracy can mess you up, potentially) OHKO it. Choice Band Garchomp is still a threat and can wipe it out, and Scizor has reliable bulk to stand up to it and KO it in a Swords Dance set. Conkeldurr can also come in, assuming it doesn't switch in on a Return, and OHKO with Drain Punch or even 2HKO with Mach Punch (using calcs based on last gen's most popular Conkeldurr set). Once Pokebank comes in, then we get access to Superpower on Scizor, as well as Keldeo and Terrakion, two popular OU Fighting-type sweepers. Most of these guys are really popular and easy to tack on a team, so I don't see that we have to re-invent the wheel for Mega Kangaskhan.

When a pokemons best checks are either considered gimmicky or aren't considered OU Pokemon without said Pokemon around, the Pokemon in question is likely broken. Who can honestly admit they used rocky helmet skarmory before Mega khan or that they used dusclops at all. Sableye and rocky helmet ferrothorn are the only checks that I honestly remember seeing any significant use in OU last Gen and even those two were a rare sight. Mega gengar was manageable, albeit still powerful and a great team supporter, but Mega khan is just an unstoppable force that would be unquestionably ubers if it didn't take a up a Mega slot. Khan doesn't even need to setup to wreck teams. It practically gets a choice banded skill link tail slap coming off of 120 atk in return and it can run something for one of its checks in return. Mega khan is broken. Please send it to ubers.

Forgot about the fighting types that check it, but I still believe it to be broken.

Last edited:
I think this thing should be out of ou. It can be countered better than you could with mega gengar but still it has so much rough power with good defense and pretty good speed. With a fake out it can take away 1/3 of life of so many Pokemon. Also ghost is not always the solution, from using him I'm able to easily predict when they will try to take a fake out so i use a crunch and OHKO them. Also with parental bond you can get an easy +2 with power up punch, Its like a sword dance with damage. After a +2 you can take out defensive threats like a gliscor with ease.

+2 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 180+ Def Gliscor: 346-409 (97.7 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Another issue is you need to have a ghost pokemon or another dedicated counter to Mega-Kang or you risk losing 1-3 pokemon with out you being able to do anything. Its unhealthy for a meta game to force a team to have a certain type of pokemon on a team always. Just like last gen ou, you almost needed to have a steel type for dragon spaming. If Mega Kang stays in ou this will be seen in almost all teams they will have to have a ghost type, and its already looking this way. That being said I love Mega Kang but he just is way to op to stay in ou.

So you are one of the people who just doesn't understand the concept of broken. No offense but unless you got legit arguments to post, just don't bother.

I've found Mega Kangaskhan extremely hard to fight against. The largest reason I feel it's so difficult to counter is because of its decent bulk and good speed. This makes it really hard to switch into. Still, I don't think it's really impossible. Trevenant is a hard and fast counter, assuming Kangaskhan is not carrying Crunch. Fast fighting types can switch in if they properly predict a Sucker Punch and can cause the Kangaroo some trouble. Scarf Lucario, Jolly Mienshao, and even Adamant Hawlucha can reliably (more or less with the latter 2, as High Jump Kick's 90 accuracy can mess you up, potentially) OHKO it. Choice Band Garchomp is still a threat and can wipe it out, and Scizor has reliable bulk to stand up to it and KO it in a Swords Dance set. Conkeldurr can also come in, assuming it doesn't switch in on a Return, and OHKO with Drain Punch or even 2HKO with Mach Punch (using calcs based on last gen's most popular Conkeldurr set). Once Pokebank comes in, then we get access to Superpower on Scizor, as well as Keldeo and Terrakion, two popular OU Fighting-type sweepers. Most of these guys are really popular and easy to tack on a team, so I don't see that we have to re-invent the wheel for Mega Kangaskhan.
Swords dance Scizor sets up one Swords dance and then, unless you have godlike prediction, get finished off by a sucker punch or he predicts you. That's a fifty fifty gamble not worth taking. Scarf Lucario is garbage, if you're using Lucario to revenge kill, find an opportunity to mega and bring him in on the revnege kill. And all the other fighting types can only barely take a plus 2 sucker punch, so they need to be extremely healthy to take a hit.

+2 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 345-408 (87.5 - 103.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

no more talk about Slowbro. he's 2HKOed minimum and outsped like any other wall Kahn Faces.

+1 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 240-285 (64.1 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Gourgeist not much better

+1 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 130-154 (42.7 - 50.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Kangaskhan Power-Up Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 50-60 (16.4 - 19.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

Spiritomb is a bit better. It may get the burn but its useless thereafter.

and alot of you are missing the point. even if you DO stop mega khan, you lose. the thing has just punched a Grand Canyon sized hole in your team and it almost always has a sweeper on back up that WILL clean up. if Kang isn't cleaning up already. if the battle has taken ANY sort of toll on your defensive core and revenge killers THEY WILL DIE and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Revenging matters little, Khan isn't your typical set up sweeper, it can and will come back in and try again, it will switch out. if played half way well it can't be stopped.

Swords dance Scizor sets up one Swords dance and then, unless you have godlike prediction, get finished off by a sucker punch or he predicts you. That's a fifty fifty gamble not worth taking. Scarf Lucario is garbage, if you're using Lucario to revenge kill, find an opportunity to mega and bring him in on the revnege kill. And all the other fighting types can only barely take a plus 2 sucker punch, so they need to be extremely healthy to take a hit.
scizor gets ohko'd by a +2 crunch iirc unless it mega evolves. not a good idea...

C'mon... this thing attacks TWICE
Even a Scarf Pokemon can be beaten with sucker punch x2
Why are you even asking... ban this thing please!!! ;-;

Mega kangaskhan is not that difficult to beat. Sableye is a good counter because it is immune to return, and power up punch; can slow it down with thunder wave or burn it with will-o-wisp, and strike back with foul play. Skarmory can also survive its attacks and set up spikes. Cofigrigus can also survive a sucker punch and cripple it with mummy and will-o-wisp. Aside from sucker punch, shedinja can wall it and burn it with will-o-wisp. Aerodactyl is also a good counter, along with its mega evolution.

I personally believe that Mega Kangaskhan is extremely broken, and every team needs to run a counter just for this. As a result, it is my belief that...

IT SHOULD STAY IN OU.

Yes, really. Let me explain.

The reason being that it uses up your Mega Evolution slot, and by banning it, you overcentralize the metagame again. Think about it. Before Gengarite was banned, everyone used their Mega Evolution slot on Gengar, with a few using it on other pokes. Gengar was the best Mega (besides Mewtwo/Blaziken, which are ban-worthy even without Mega Evolution).

Then Gengarite was banned, so everyone who did have Mega Gengar on their team switched to using other Megas, most notably Mega Kangaskhan. The gameplay of the tier has shifted. Rather than trying to counter Mega Gengar, everyone just shifted to countering Mega Kangaskhan instead. Because that is what became necessary.

If Kangaskhanite is banned, then who's to say that these same people won't switch over to Mega Lucario (great attacking stats and Adaptability) or Mega Mawile (105 Huge Power!) or Mega Medicham (a better movepool and is faster than Mega Mawile, albeit less bulky)? Heck, even Mega Heracross probably gets enough use to the point that it's (probably) not going to be in UU. And we just ban Mega Stone after Mega Stone until there's nothing left. Mega Evolution, which is supposed to be the gimmick that separates Gen VI from Gen V, will be regulated to Ubers-only play before too long.

I worry that if we go ban happy on Mega Stones, we open up this very real possibility. And thus, this new gameplay mechanic will go largely unexplored (as a majority of users prefer to play OU over Ubers). And since this is something that Smogon has no history of dealing with, I feel that we should think about this before jumping to any conclusions.

Is Mega Kangaskhan broken, even for a Mega? Maybe. But until we do more extensive testing on Mega Evolutions, I don't think that we can say that for sure, so I don't think that the Kangaskhanite should be banned right now. Maybe after a suspect test, I will be proven wrong. At that point, I will no longer object to the ban.
I think this really boils this down to the bare essentials. As we keep banning megastones, the game playing community will keep switching to the next Mega Pokemon deemed "the strongest available." Certainly, some will use different megas than the new "strongest," but it will be hot potato until we have run out of OU viable mega pokemon.

I've considered several options, and I still don't know what to do with M-Khan. We have to admit that it's like trying to stop a train, but for the reasons above, we're kicking the can down the road until the inevitable conclusion of banning most of the megastones. My only recommendation is to rotate bans for a while until we can figure this thing out. Simply banning them all is going to cause more issues in the future (as well as increasing anti-Smogonism). We need to take our time with this, and hash out the consequences of banning these things. Mega Pokemon are new, so we have to figure out a better way to handle them. We need to evolve with the games as well.

My vote: Ban it for now, but we need to come back to this very, very soon. This is a problem that we can't just sweep under the rug, anymore.

Well the amount of teams I have seen actually run mega kang are high in number... But almost every time I was able to counter it with a mach punch or even priority brave bird on my other teams. I've never had a problem with it but I can see why its such a threat I'm not favor of the ban, I don't really care, but I think it's unnecessary needs to be banned

Only issue with this is that for most of the pokemon it will have to be a revenge kill meaning your going to have to lose one of your pokemon. Not many things can just switch into an attack from Mega Kang. Also when you do get them out all your going to do is make kang switch out, not defeat it. Then once it gets another switch in it will defeat another pokemon and so on so on. The best checks I found seems to be ghost pokemon with some bulk/status. If its a sucker punch Kang it can't do anything to you, although you need to watch out for crunch.

Mega kangaskhan is not that difficult to beat. Sableye is a good counter because it is immune to return, and power up punch; can slow it down with thunder wave or burn it with will-o-wisp, and strike back with foul play. Skarmory can also survive its attacks and set up spikes. Cofigrigus can also survive a sucker punch and cripple it with mummy and will-o-wisp. Aside from sucker punch, shedinja can wall it and burn it with will-o-wisp. Aerodactyl is also a good counter, along with its mega evolution.
Sabeye does not get Thunder Wave, only stupid players stay in and let it burn. Skarm get's two hit koed by a plus two return appreantly, Cofagrigus is a good one, but the Kanga has no reason to stay in. Shedinja is awful, it dies too hazards and any residual damage. Aerodactyl probably get's one hit koed by Sucker punch, it's not that bulky.

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 127-151 (45.1 - 53.7%) -- 36.3% chance to 2HKO

Scizor is very unlikely to go 0/0, so with a classic Gen V spread...

+2 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 255-300 (74.3 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Admittedly, getting off of a boost would be rough in this situation. However, Choice Band Scizor (settling for Brick Break due to lack of Superpower right now)...

252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 270-318 (76.9 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And with Superpower...

252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 430-508 (122.5 - 144.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Also, Scarf Lucario isn't great, but it still has uses, and it certainly isn't garbage against Mega Kangaskhan.

+2 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 169-201 (60.1 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Plus, if Lucario eats a Sucker Punch, Justified activates, giving it a power boost that can wreck plenty of other Pokémon.

Only issue with this is that for most of the pokemon it will have to be a revenge kill meaning your going to have to lose one of your pokemon. Not many things can just switch into an attack from Mega Kang. Also when you do get them out all your going to do is make kang switch out, not defeat it. Then once it gets another switch in it will defeat another pokemon and so on so on. The best checks I found seems to be ghost pokemon with some bulk/status. If its a sucker punch Kang it can't do anything to you, although you need to watch out for crunch.
Yes this is true. I'm not saying Mega Kangaskhan necessarily shouldn't be banned, but we should consider a few more sides before everyone gets up in arms about it.

Sabeye does not get Thunder Wave, only stupid players stay in and let it burn. Skarm get's two hit koed by a plus two return appreantly, Cofagrigus is a good one, but the Kanga has no reason to stay in. Shedinja is awful, it dies too hazards and any residual damage. Aerodactyl probably get's one hit koed by Sucker punch, it's not that bulky.
No people please use shedinja! I would love to get my porygon2 wonder guard. :pimp:

Mega kangaskhan is very difficult to beat. Sableye is a good counter because it is immune to return, and power up punch unless Kanga abuses scrappy; should never try thunder wave (And it can't anyway) always burn it with will-o-wisp, and strike back with foul play. Skarmory can never survive its attacks and get 2HKOed. Cofigrigus can also survive a Crunch and cripple it with mummy and will-o-wisp until it switches out, plus my Cofag is useless. Thanks to Crunch, shedinja can't wall it and burn it with will-o-wisp but thats irrelevant cause Shedinja sucks. Aerodactyl is also a Bad check, along with its mega evolution is 2hkoed by return.
fixed. seriously people Calcs. You know the ones we did pages a go and dismissed.

I don't know how it does in Ubers, but in Pre-bank it's kinda easy to take out. Anyways, I don't have any argument ready as of yet, but to me it's just a very strong pokémon, like many more.
I agree with you. Ferrothorn is a staple on all of my teams, and it wrecks Mega-Khan for the most point. Gliscor checks it really well (resisting all moves but Sucker Punch, and having the capability to either Toxic or Swords Dance in those turns, depending on the set) as do most ghost types, Sub-Disable Gengar in particular. Especially if it's running a swords dance set.

As a counter-argument, it has bulk, and the ability to hit twice is almost better than a huge-power or pure-power boost, simply because it can break subs/Sash and hit again. With moves like PUP and Earthquake, this is incredibly disabling, not to mention Sucker Punch,

Whether it gets banned or not doesn't much matter. It has common checks, and what I think needs to be banned is the combination of a certain move with Kangaskhanite, such as either SuckerPunch/Kkite or PUP/Kkite, or something like that, rather than banning the entire item.

This allows for more versatile and unpredictable sets other than the main 2 that get used (Fake Out, PuP/Swords Dance, Sucker Punch, Return/Earthquake) and allows us to keep the item, which is a wonderful change of pace, and is fun to battle against, if you have at least one counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)