SM OU Kartana Spam

I decided to get back into Pokemon since I couldn't stand playing ORAS. As such, I made a fairly cookie-cutter team (mostly highly viable Pokemon that are everywhere) - I've been having a lot of fun playing it. The general idea for the team is to weaken top threats to the point that Kartana can sweep them, and because it's so underrated, people often don't see that it's my win condition until too late. If this team manages to clear Skarmory, Scizor, Metagross, Magearna and Heatran early in the game, a Leaf Blade/Smart Strike sweep can become all but impossible.

No sprites because lazy, pls forgive me.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness

Tapu Fini is here for support. Nature's madness helps me wear down Metagross, M-Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Toxapex. Scald and Moonblast provide coverage and don't leave me too vulnerable to Heatran or Water types that can stall Scald. With its respectable bulk, resistance to status, speed, hazard control and coverage, it manages to force out Zygarde, Landorus, Garchomp and other ground types who can be problematic for my grounded team. In particular, its speed is surprising to a lot of people and lets it get the first move against every slow-ish physical wall (and Heatran), which matters a lot for Kartana later in the game. I suspect the slower defensive sets are more common, but am not really sure.

It's also worth noting that I often find myself more-or-less sacking Fini to weaken something that proves a problem for Kartana.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Landorus is amazing in this gen, as it was in others, for forces predictions and covering weaknesses the rest of my team leaves open. With Lele/Muk/Metagross providing the special bulk on my team, Landorus manages to stop rampaging Scarf Pheromosa, bait Metagross Ice Punches and Koku HP Ice. Intimidate is obviously useful for preventing boosters like Buzzswole from getting too carried away and its coverage moves do their job. It also synergizes well with Muk, who takes on many special attackers handily and hates strong physical attacks. Overall, a pretty cookie-cutter mon that does what it does well.

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Atk / 152 SpD
Brave Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Fire Blast
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Muk is pretty iffy, but as one of my favorite Gen 1 mons, I have a soft spot for it. Assault Vest and the given EV's maximize its special bulk, and the attack EV's and nature let it dish out decent damage to would-be threats like Volcarona. It helps check other pokemon like Lati@s, Magearna, Greninja (except Hydro Pump hurts), Lele, and anything that relies too heavily on Poison damage to cause problems (not that my team particularly needs it). In particular, stopping Toxapex from getting Toxic Spikes up is pretty handy, especially because Misty Terrain prevents Scald status and gives me a chance to knock its item off. Oh, and of course, Fire Blast is there to hurt steel types who are otherwise quite annoying for my team. Poison Touch/Poison Jab is really nice to stop Ground types and force ambient damage that Kartana can take advantage of later. Shadow Sneak is amazing for getting that last laugh + Poison before something nukes me, and nullifies some of the pain of having a < 10%, Burned muk on my team if someone runs Rotom-W or Alolan Marowak.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Psycho Cut

A dreadfully underrated mon, Kartana's pure speed and power makes it the key to my team's success. While everything else is pretty slow, this thing is unmatched outside of Scarf Pheromosa and Beast Boost lets it cut (sorry, pun) through weakened teams easily with careful play. The general strategy when using this set is to use Lele, Metagross, Landorus and Muk to status and weaken the enemy's team to > 50% before even sending it in. As soon as a weakness is evident, strike and hope that the enemy doesn't see the Scarf coming. I also really enjoy the fact that +1 Atk Kartana beats Metagross handily as long as it doesn't have a relatively niche move like HP Fire or Hammer Arm to challenge me.

It's also worth noting that Kartana's defense is respectable enough to survive a couple hits from M-Metagross, Landorus, or Dragon Types who otherwise prove to be quite a problem for the rest of my team. Running an Adamant nature might seem odd, but at 475 speed (with Scarf) it's fast enough to beat most pokemon after a DD, check ultrafast sweepers, and beat non-scarfed Pheromosa. Kartana's abysmal special defense is made up for by the 4 defensively respectable members of my team.

This all hints at a trend I've noticed in the OU metagame: teams rely heavily on Steel types for defense against Kartana so once they are cleared it's usually pretty easy to spam Smart Strike or Leaf Blade and get through.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Another amazing pokemon, M-Metagross provides me with a ton of firepower against threats like Tapu Lele, Landorus/Chomp/Zygarde, bulky Water types and anything Fairy typed. With maximum HP EV's, Metagross survives Earthquakes from Lando, HP Fires from Lele, and Scalds etc. from Fini quite easily, letting Metagross take on the poweful tank role it usually doesn't play. Thunder Punch in particular is a great move for covering Toxapex and Tapu Fini without the predictability of MM/ZH. The speed trickery also forces switches from players expecting a faster Metagross and is still enough to cover some mid-speed pokemon. In particular, I like this set because its bulk and attack power hurts opposing Metagross and can sometimes force careful players at lower health to swap out. Like I said, Steel types are Kartana's biggest threat, so I'm paranoid about them.

Tapu Lele @ Leftovers
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Calm is a pretty random nature for Tapu Lele, but it's been effective enough for me to keep it this way. In particular, it manages Tapu Koko and Greninja well enough without being a dedicated wall and with HP Fire it provides a trap for M-Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Metagross. In fact, because it stops Scizor from using Bullet Punch, it's usually the first thing I send in against it. Many players know that Lele carries fire, so they'll switch run, giving me a chance to set up. Psyshock is there to beat other Calm Minders, Toxapex, and other bulky pokemon. Moonblast is spammable and can put lots of pokemon in range for a Kartana sweep.

Nice team my dude! Kartana is probably one of my favorite mons gen 7. Great design and great coverage. Before I get into the team rate, on the next rmt you make, please hide an importable into the post (open a [ and type "Hide='your title here" and the close ]. After you type your info, open another [ type "/hide" and close it ])

Tapu Fini:

Tapu fini is pretty much undeniable the best defogger in the meta rn. That being said its place on this team is very appreciated, and due to this we should make it bulkier so that it lasts longer. We should run a 252hp / 196def / 60spe with bold nature spread. This makes it as bulky as possible, while still creeping lando. Also, we are going to run taunt > moonblast to be a sort of anti lead.

Landorus:

Pretty standard defensive lando. Small changes. Lets run 248hp / 236def / 20spe. I dont know many people who run this set, but I use it to speed creep the aforementioned tapu set which is fairly common (so meta haha). This doesn't make it not worth it to run that fini set though as most do not run this speed on lando. Lastly, lets run HP ice > stone edge. Stone edge is hitting Volcarona, however opposing lando's are much more common and equally as threatening. Also U-turn > knock off to get some initiative.

Muk
:
Although I really like muk, I think its doing more harm then good. While yes it does beat Tapu Lele, you have 2 steels to beat it. Muk also gives you a ground weakness which is really not appreciated given you only have one immunity. To solve this lets go Salamence > Muk. Although this is a fairy weakness, you do have two steels as aforementioned. Salamance also gives you a ground immunity and a way to hit grasses really hard. It is also a dragon dance set, so it could give you another sweeper along side kartana. Set will also have fire fang over eq. While eq will beat tran, you have good mons to handle it, where as scizor and ferro could give you issues, hence fire fang.

Kartana
:
Love it! Just run jolly > adamant. Although adamant will give you higher attack, beast boost will raise it with each kill, and jolly insures you outspeed a scarf lele instead of risking a speed tie.

Metagross
:
MAX SPEED!!! 350 is a great benchmark, so dont hurt metagross by not letting it get there. Lastly you really need zen headbutt this gen for toxapex and to hit a lot of stuff neutral. Id go Zen headbutt > ice punch as we already have fini and hp ice lando for grounds.

Tapu Lele
:
Lele is really your way of beating stall. As such, lets run Taunt > HP fire, and then do 252spa / 4spdef / 252speed timid. Taunt helps out with chansey and other stall mons, while a timid nature means you can outspeed a modest zard y if needed.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fly
- Fire Fang

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Psycho Cut

Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Tapu Lele @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Good luck with the team dude!

Nice team my dude! Kartana is probably one of my favorite mons gen 7. Great design and great coverage. Before I get into the team rate, on the next rmt you make, please hide an importable into the post (open a [ and type "Hide='your title here" and the close ]. After you type your info, open another [ type "/hide" and close it ])

Tapu Fini:

Tapu fini is pretty much undeniable the best defogger in the meta rn. That being said its place on this team is very appreciated, and due to this we should make it bulkier so that it lasts longer. We should run a 252hp / 196def / 60spe with bold nature spread. This makes it as bulky as possible, while still creeping lando. Also, we are going to run taunt > moonblast to be a sort of anti lead.

Landorus:

Pretty standard defensive lando. Small changes. Lets run 248hp / 236def / 20spe. I dont know many people who run this set, but I use it to speed creep the aforementioned tapu set which is fairly common (so meta haha). This doesn't make it not worth it to run that fini set though as most do not run this speed on lando. Lastly, lets run HP ice > stone edge. Stone edge is hitting Volcarona, however opposing lando's are much more common and equally as threatening. Also U-turn > knock off to get some initiative.

Muk
:
Although I really like muk, I think its doing more harm then good. While yes it does beat Tapu Lele, you have 2 steels to beat it. Muk also gives you a ground weakness which is really not appreciated given you only have one immunity. To solve this lets go Salamence > Muk. Although this is a fairy weakness, you do have two steels as aforementioned. Salamance also gives you a ground immunity and a way to hit grasses really hard. It is also a dragon dance set, so it could give you another sweeper along side kartana. Set will also have fire fang over eq. While eq will beat tran, you have good mons to handle it, where as scizor and ferro could give you issues, hence fire fang.

Kartana
:
Love it! Just run jolly > adamant. Although adamant will give you higher attack, beast boost will raise it with each kill, and jolly insures you outspeed a scarf lele instead of risking a speed tie.

Metagross
:
MAX SPEED!!! 350 is a great benchmark, so dont hurt metagross by not letting it get there. Lastly you really need zen headbutt this gen for toxapex and to hit a lot of stuff neutral. Id go Zen headbutt > ice punch as we already have fini and hp ice lando for grounds.

Tapu Lele
:
Lele is really your way of beating stall. As such, lets run Taunt > HP fire, and then do 252spa / 4spdef / 252speed timid. Taunt helps out with chansey and other stall mons, while a timid nature means you can outspeed a modest zard y if needed.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fly
- Fire Fang

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Psycho Cut

Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Tapu Lele @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Good luck with the team dude!
Thank you for your input! Ironically, after posting this I lost two matches to people running faster scarfers (Garchomp and Keldo). The fear of a Lele sweep is real. I do have a couple questions/thoughts though.

1. Salamence is a bad option for this team imo - while it's not weak to Ground, it's Lele/Latias bait and doesn't do anything to help Lando's crippling Water/Ice weakness. While Metagross can handle these two decently, it absolutely can't hang with Koku or other special attackers that Muk checks (e.g. Heatran, Hoopa, Alakazam, Zard, etc.). I'd prefer to throw some other specially bulky pokemon in this slot than just give up on special defense. Is that crazy?
  2. Good thoughts on Fini. I'm rather sick of taking so much damage from Earthquakes. Taunt however seems a bit questionable with so much offense being played in this meta - Scald (or Surf or Brine) seems to fill a niche, no? Or should I just spam madness?
  3. I'm really struggling with Celesteela, who can't be worn down as easy as other steel types and carries Flamethrower to beat Kartana and Metagross. I'd almost like to get rid of Lele and run Magneton or something, but then I'd have yet another grounded pokemon. Salamence exacerbates this as it has an easy time coming in against Salamence. Additionally, since Metagross and Lele are so common, having any Dragon moves seems like a bit of a deathwise, though Salamence is fast enough to cause problems.
  4. I like the idea of that Lele set, but like I said above, Lele has been struggling against Celesteela and I really need something else that can check it.
TL;DR - Thanks again. I like the advice on Fini/Lando, and am going to experiment with those two. I've been seeing more Ice Landos out there and it makes a lot of sense, since Stone Edge is rather useless outside of Volca or getting some neutral damage on Levitate mons.

ur team could definitely use this set since u fear celesteela so much:
Zygarde @ Figy Berry
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Thousand Arrows
- Brick Break/Extremespeed
Thousand arrows is super effective as it goes by flying,outrage is STAB and brick break takes on ice types that could kill it

Your team looks good but...
-I don't really see any point in running Scald on Tapu Fini just because of the fact that Misty Surge activates every time it enters battle (unless it's already on the field). I'd use Surf instead, or you can use Hydro Pump but you'll be losing accuracy as you gain power.
-Landorus-T is a great 'Mon, but I'd swap out Knock Off for U-Turn. U-Turn will give you opportunities to gain momentum on your opponent and give you more chances to bring in Kartana and M-Metagross. Knock Off also got nerfed this gen so that's why I prefer U-Turn
-You already have lots of coverage for ground and dragon types on your team, so I'd swap Ice Punch out for Zen Headbutt, it's too good of a move to pass up. I also don't know why you have no speed invested for Metagross, it's what makes it so dangerous. Sub Max HP for Max Speed and a Jolly Nature.
-Kartana is definitely an underrated 'Mon, but you have to keep in mind it's special defence is a ridiculously low base 31, Tapu Fini 2HKO's it with Moonblast, so keep in mind that you can't switch into most special attacks, even if they aren't very effective. I'd swap Psycho Cut for Swords Dance, just because if you capitalise on even a small error from an opponent you basically win. Jolly Nature is better so you don't risk speed ties, and makes it that much harder to take out.
- I've never seen any Tapu Lele that has no EV's invested into Special Attack, it's practically a crime. Other than that there are no problems.
- Your team gets completely walled by Celesteela (as you stated above), so your best option would be to sub out Muk for a fire type, and Heatran would be a great option:
Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam
- Taunt

Taunt and Magma Storm are staples for Heatran, Earth Power is for coverage, and because it doesn't really need more than that, running Solar Beam and Grassium Z gives you a huge element of suprise for any Ground or Water types that try switching in.

Good Luck!

Hey everyone! Thanks for the feedback again! A couple things I did per your suggestions:

1. Got rid of Muk. Sometimes I miss it but what I realized is it just can't hang outside of niche teams in OU. It did ok lower on the ladder, but the dominance of Steel types (especially Celesteela) really gave me pause. As such, I replaced it with Heatran and have been having a blast trapping and killing Bulky waters with Magma Storm + Bloom Doom. More support against Cele, Lele and enough speed to put a lot of slower pokes into a bad place.

2. Got rid of Lele. I miss Lele sometimes, but I made another teams with Scarf Lele and I think that allows it to shine much brighter than it did on this team. Instead, I took Magneton, who so far has been really useful for getting rid of annoying steels, allowing for some Volt/Turn synergy with Landorus and otherwise having good resists. Having 4 steel types sometimes bites me in the ass, but only if I let Lando or Zygarde get set up. Magneton also really helps against Electric spam from Tapu Koko, who can otherwise shit squarely on the rest of my team without much thought.

3. Swapped Lando/Fini sets. Defensive Fini is awesome and this team loves its ability to spam Nature's Madness to wear things down. It also really loves having Heatran around to kill steels and trap Water types that it can't kill while also having the bulk to stop Greninja, where formerly it could really get run over. Lando has been a godsend with 20 speed EV's, letting me reliably get up rocks against opposing Landos and being able to check Flyinium Z users really well. U turn is also great for momentum.

4. Metagross - yeah, 350 speed was a necessity. Can't tell you how many times I've been saved by hitting this speed benchmark.

I still get run over by certain teams, but I like my team a lot more after some of these fixes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)