ORAS OU Kingdra Rain Team

I absolutely love Swift Swim teams if only because that was the first competitive team I ever made. Because of this, my favourite Pokemon is Kingdra so I decided to go back to basics and try my hand at a new and improved Rain team built around a slightly mixed Kingdra set. Obviously, since this is a new team, it has countless flaws which I need a bit of help to improve. As cliche as this team is, I would love some help improving it

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Encore

Since Politoed is the only Drizzle in OU, it is the obvious choice as a lead. Whenever I design a new Politoed, I struggle because of its many great options but somehow limited potential. In this set, I wanted her to be able to take a physical hit since it is one of the few Pokemon on this team that is supposed to switch in. Scald and Ice Beam are the go-to moves for being able to hit leads decently in rain. I then picked Toxic so that she can make some impact on Pokemon too tanky to be crushed in 2 hits by my sweepers. Next, I picked Encore because I honestly didn't know what else to do. And finally, for the item I went with the only viable option in Damp Rock.

Kabutops @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Kabutops is, in my opinion, the 3rd best SS Pokemon but since Ludicolo and Kingdra are both special, it fell upon him to be the physical sweeper. Aqua Jet is Kabutops' main selling point behind his monstrous Attack stat since it provides a 90 BP priority move after STAB and Rain boosts. Stone Edge and Waterfall are there for those who aren't flattened by Aqua Jet and Swords Dance is a nice bonus if you are predicting a switch. For the item, I picked Lum Berry to deal with all those pesky Thunder Waves and Wil O Wisps but that was just my opinion.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Waterfall

Kingdra. I could stop right there but I feel like that would be a waste of your time and a blatant breaking of the rules. I have used many Kingdra sets in my day but this, or some variation of it, is undoubtedly my favourite. The first slot is dedicated to either Surf or Hydro Pump which I usually use because of its higher BP and tendency to score more neutral KOs. Next, comes Draco Meteor, the obvious pick despite the drop to Special Attack because it annihilates most things that resist Hydro Pump or my 3rd move, Ice Beam, which is capable of taking care of anything which resists water but doesn't deserve the respect of a Draco Meteor. The final move is Waterfall which allows Kingdra to hit hard after Draco Meteor and stand against any special walls that cross it.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

Anyone who has ever run a Rain team knows that a good steel type is your best friend. I chose Scizor mainly because of Pursuit + U-Turn which helps take out several threats to this team. Bullet Punch breaks major threats like Azumarill and Tyranitar. Swords Dance is always useful if you predict a switch.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Surf
- Rapid Spin
- Rain Dance

Starmie is one of the best Pokemon in OU and on this team, it is a major asset. Rapid Spin is important in the case of entry hazards which will break Jolteon's sash and do residual damage to my sweepers. Rain Dance is obviously the most important move on a Rain team and Starmie can set up Rain Dance and then destroy most Pokemon who get in its way.

Jolteon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 1 Atk / 30 Def
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Roar
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This may look like a bit of a weird set with Roar and Focus Sash but, in reality, it is deadly to setup sweepers since it can KO an Azumarill and others with ease and Roar out any sweepers it can't kill. This is my 2nd Pokemon with Rain Dance which it can reliably set up and, like Starmie, it can then smite the opposition with Thunder and any Garchomps, Salamences, Flygons, etc. will never appreciate an HP Ice

hey bud :] rain is super fun.

i just dont like jolteon :[ i understand why is here but i don't think it looks good tbh. does not seen very reliable.
you are lacking a good ground resist - there is scizor and water 'mons, sure, but still. also, electric and grass weak too...
as there is not any sr setter on the team, i suggest Celebi: is bulky enough to not bother ground and electric attacks at all and have general good synergy with the rest of your team. also have t wave to cripple setup sweepers if you are that worried.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

i'm not sure about about starmie too. you have a reliable spinner in kabutops, you can always drop SD to fit it and open a team slot. even if you keep it, i think you should change stuff on this set. scald > surf pls. two better sets are offensive, with life orb + analytic and three attacks, because otherwise starmie does not hit hard enough; or support, with EV spread emphasizing bulkyness and running leftovers and natural cure. I think the second one is better, but as I said, I do not think starmie is that good, specially if you stick with the celebi suggestion.

not sure who can be there then:
- Thundurus have priority rain dance and can abuse thunder;
- Klefki can maneuver over its ground weakness, also has priority rain and can give you spikes, which is always nice for your sweepers
- Tornadus also learns rain dance and abuse 100% accuracy hurricanes. you should use the life orb set tho
- Manaphy fits well under rain because its hydration and sheer power.

just test if you feel like. sets are available here :]

you will lose one rain setter, but i think you should be fine with just two - or maybe one, if you try rest > ice beam on Politoed.

good luck, hope it helped

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)