PU Kingler [QC 1/1] [GP 1/1]

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

Kingler @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Liquidation
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Thanks to its access to Sheer Force-boosted STAB Liquidation and a wide offensive movepool, alongside amazing base 130 Attack, Kingler is one of the most devastating wallbreakers in the PU metagame. Kingler excels in exploiting balance cores thanks to its powerful Liquidation, which helps dismantle bulky Pokemon such as Palossand and Clefairy, and it also has Knock Off and Superpower to help with Water-resistant Pokemon like Lanturn and Ferroseed. In addition, Kingler is extremely good at forcing switches, and its above average physical bulk enables it to set up an Agility against many weaker physical attackers and proceed to sweep the opposing team. Kingler pairs well with pivots such as Togedemaru and Mesprit due to their great offensive synergy and ability to force in common Pokemon like Palossand and Ferroseed and then use U-turn to get Kingler in freely. Unfortunately, Kingler has a mediocre Speed tier that falls short of common Pokemon like Mesprit and Skuntank, and its terrible Special Defense leaves it vulnerable to any special attacker that outspeeds it like Lilligant. Despite its monstrous offensive presence, Kingler can still be checked by bulky Water-resistant and -immune Pokemon like Altaria and Gastrodon; however, team support from Pokemon such as Aurorus and Clefairy can help mitigate these shortcomings.

Want to see Kingler in action?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-696175853 - Robert Alfons vs amberrlamps in PU Seasonal Finals
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-709543632 - allstarapology vs Sam I Yam in PU Seasonal

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Kingler @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Liquidation
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Thanks to its access to Sheer Force-boosted STAB Liquidation and a wide offensive movepool, alongside amazing base 130 Attack, Kingler is one of the most devastating wallbreakers in the PU metagame. Kingler excels in exploiting balance cores thanks to its powerful Liquidation, which helps dismantle bulky Pokemon such as Palossand and Clefairy, with Knock Off and Superpower helping with Water-resists like Ferroseed or Lanturn. In addition, pivots such as Togedemaru and Mesprit pair well with Kingler due to great offensive synergy and their abilities to force in common Pokemon like Palossand and Ferroseed with U-turn which lets Kingler get in for free. Mesprit, in particular, is an excellent partner for Kingler because it provides Stealth Rock and Healing Wish support tbh Mesprit's type of support is great for any particular pokemon and not really specific to Kingler so I think this sentence is unecessary. What's more, Kingler is extremely good at forcing switches and its above average physical bulk enables it to set up an Agility with ease (this exaggerates a bit, really not many physical attackers kingler can easily setup against) against Pokemon like Alolan Dugtrio and you could mention this allows it to sweep offensive teams! On the downside, Kingler's mediocre Speed tier leaves it susceptible to faster Pokemon like Liligant and Oricorio-G. Unfortunately, Kingler is also held back by its lackluster more like terrible Special Defense, which leaves it vulnerable to special attackers like Mesprit and Pyroar. ^I think this section works much better if the above two sentences were combined into something like "Unfortunately, Kingler has a mediocre Speed tier that falls short of the mark of common pokemon like Mesprit and Skuntank, and its terrible Special Defense leaves it vulnerable to any special attacker that outspeeds it."

Despite its monstrous offensive presence, Kingler can still be walled by bulky Pokemon, like Gastrodon, or beaten by foes that resist Liquidation, like Altaria change this to bulky water-resists and immunities; and might as well give a brief mention that Kingler can run SD to attempt to break through these pokemon however, team support from Pokemon such as Aurorus and Clefairy can help mitigate these shortcomings.

What Want to see Kingler in action?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-696175853 - Robert Alfons vs amberrlamps in PU Seasonal Finals
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7pu-351884 - Kushalos vs Arifeen in Smogon Exhibition
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-709543632 - allstarapology vs Sam I Yam in PU Seasonal
1/1 very good job tbh

i color-coded the sentences I was referring to make it easier to read

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The last two replays are already gonna be in another PU social media thing, and while I don't mind reusing the Sam vs Allstar game Kush vs Feen isnt a very good replay I wouldn't include it here unless it were necessary (which it isn't). I'm also kinda concerned about the structure here, it just goes immediately into teammates which is still in no way a focus of these spotlights before then going back to talk about what agility does, and it's a bit confusing why there's two sentences on partners in between the way more relevant stuff about how Kingler plays.

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
GP 1/2
addremove comments

Kingler @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Liquidation
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Thanks to its access to Sheer Force-boosted STAB Liquidation and a wide offensive movepool, alongside amazing base 130 Attack, Kingler is one of the most devastating wallbreakers in the PU metagame. Kingler excels in exploiting balance cores thanks to its powerful Liquidation, which helps dismantle bulky Pokemon such as Palossand and Clefairy, with and it also has Knock Off and Superpower helping with Water-resists to help with Water-resistant Pokemon like Ferroseed or Lanturn and Ferroseed (because I would assume superpower is for ferro, this makes lists parallel). In addition, Kingler is extremely good at forcing switches, (AC) and its above average physical bulk enables it to set up an Agility against Pokemon like Alolan Dugtrio, (RC) which also has a high chance at straight up sweeping offensive teams. (how is what alolan dugtrio does relevant to a kingler spotlight?) Kingler pairs well with pivots such as Togedemaru and Mesprit due to their great offensive synergy and their abilities ability to force in common Pokemon like Palossand and Ferroseed with U-turn which lets and then use U-turn to get Kingler get in freely. (they're not forced in by uturn) Unfortunately, Kingler has a mediocre Speed tier that falls short of common Pokemon like Mesprit and Skuntank, and its terrible Special Defense leaves it vulnerable to any special attacker that outspeeds it. (such as?) Despite its monstrous offensive presence, Kingler can still be checked by bulky Water resists and immunities like Gastrodon and Altaria Water-resistant and -immune Pokemon like Altaria and Gastrodon; however, team support from Pokemon such as Aurorus and Clefairy can help mitigate these shortcomings.

Want to see Kingler in action?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)