Kleavor Hyper offense OU

I want thinking of scizors as a good attacker with decent speed and power when i came up with what i was looking for too long.......

As a partner to my Greninja-bond. Though it has slow speed but has sharpness ability with a better attack stat. They cover most of each others weakness either by typing or through their moveset.

Though this isn't a perfect combination of mons but just a rough outline and help is very thankful as i am not as good in showdown team making(actually better at playing than making team :-P )
So please feel free to make suggestions and please help me with my queries (at the end).

So here is my team:

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- U-turn

Kleavor's low speed stat makes it essential for setting up sticky web successfully else it will be knocked out much easily. Uturn for any chip damage or switch inn. Moonblast and Psychic for giving hyperoffensive startup after Being knocked to 1 HP(Focus Sash)

Kleavor @ Life Orb
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Night Slash
- Close Combat
- Stone Axe
- X-Scissor

One of our attacking core mon, Its X-scissor, Night Slash and Stone Axe get a good boost in power plus life orbs get some KOs. Stone Axe in additon to damage setsup Stealth rocks for additional damage.

Greninja-Bond (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
Tera Type: Water
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Water Shuriken
- Surf

Greninja-bond is one of my fav mons and is still good if battle bond activated. Ice beam and Darkpulse for coverage and do a bunch of damage. Water Shuriken for priority or revenge kill(most of times it activates the boost). I preferred surf over hydropump due to accuracy and life orb boost the damage

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Steel
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Make it Rain

Gholdengo has 3 main purposes on my team. First ensures that sticky web stays on the side. Do bring down Fairy types which i had no counters. And Also as a revenge killer with choice scarf.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Dragon
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor

Dragapult with choice specs is a good wallbreaker with wide coverage moves and infiltrator ability. Shadowball has stab and deals heavy damage to skeledirge and gholdengo.

Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

Its is just a good physical wallbreaker for the purpose that it has rapid spin for removing any hazard on my side( has annoyed me a lot a few times) and booster energy turns it into a heavy mallet which just hammers some sense into my enemies

Here are some of my queries which i will be highly obliged if sorted out:

1)What should i keep the tera type of kleavor,greninja and other i am a Little confused due to their roles in my team
2)Any better sub for dragapult? I find it a little useful some times
3)I know my team doesn't include ou meta mons but i want to make a team with them l. How much rating will i be able to go approx with this team.

Thanks and regards

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey, thank you for submitting! While the team is overall pretty nice, there are a few elements that I think you could improve upon. There is also a potential for some different approaches to this team in terms of strategy, and I'd like to showcase that alongside your original team. Considering this premise, here are my changes depending on the aforementioned different takes:

TAKE N.1 - Same team (:ribombee: :kleavor: :greninja: :gholdengo: :dragapult: :great-tusk:)

Small changes

:ribombee:
Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
Tera Type: Ghost
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- U-turn

This is the standard and most common set for Ribombee, and while it is almost identical to yours it has a few essential changes that make it better overall. Stun Spore over Psychic is a better choice, since Ribombee functions as a Suicide Lead to make Webs go up, and it doesn't need to waste a move slot for further offensive coverage. With Stun Spore and Sash, you can at least potentially paralyze the opponent before going down. I've also changed the Tera from Fairy to Ghost, since it can potentially prevent a Rapid Spin coming from lead Tusk/Iron Treads with Booster Energy.

:kleavor:
Kleavor @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Fighting
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Axe
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor

Thanks to Sticky Webs, Kleavor has finally the potential to actually outspeed most of the offensive threats in the tier, with the exception of a few Scarfers/Paradox mons. Going for Swords Dance for a potential late-game sweep, or simply to weaken your opponent's team to enable another Sweeper later on, is a much better strategy than just spreading damage with 4 moves and Life Orb. In particular, SD Kleavor can potentially force an early Kingambit entry attempting to Sucker Punch and knock you out, and it can use that chance to Tera into a Fighting-type and use CC to KO it back, therefore enabling a Dragapult sweep later on in the game. Furthermore, instead of Life Orb Kleavor can run Heavy-Duty-Boots to get rid of its Stealth Rock weakness, and to simply ignore the very common Hazard presence in the meta.

:gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Focus Blast

Once again, this is a very common set for Dengo. Make It Rain is more than enough as a Steel STAB move, so there's no need to go for Flash Cannon. You should instead be running Focus Blast or Thunderbolt for coverage, and I've opted for the first since it has a way better matchup against the very popular Kingambit and Heatran trying to check you. Also for Kingambit, Tera Fighting is a much better option that allows you to resist its Sucker Punch, giving you the chance to KO it. Since this is a Scarf set, you should also not be running Recover, since it would mean getting locked in a useless move. For this reason I've changed that move to Trick, which offers you a better match-up against Stall and it gives you the potential to lock an opponent Sweeper into a set-up move/Kingambit into its Sucker Punch.

:greninja:
Greninja-Bond (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
Tera Type: Water
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

This set is almost identical, but I've opted to go for Hydro Pump over Surf because, while the latter is more precise and consistent, Hydro Pump offers you a much stronger chance to pick up important KOs against the likes of Specially Defensive Heatran, Clefable, Garg and Ting-Lu. I've also swapped Water Shuriken for U-turn, since the latter gives you the chance to pivot and keep momentum for your team, which is particularly important for HO strategies, and it also allows you to threaten Waterpon. But, Water Shuriken is still a good option to run, and if you prefer it you can absolutely decide to go for it over Ice Beam or U-turn. If you decide to do so, though, I'd suggest you to run a Modest set for Gren instead of a Timid one, since Sticky Webs grant you Speed control, on top of Water Shuriken's priority.

:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force

You asked for a different Dragapult set, and I personally believe that Physically Offensive Pult is a better fit for this team. In particular, this Sub+DD set gives you the potential to sweep late-game, after getting rid of its main checks (especially Gambit). The Sub also provides you with the chance to set-up comfortably without having to fear Status-moves, Salt Cure and Magma Storm, giving you a better match-up against the likes of Cinderace, Alomomola and Toxapex. Clear Body, on the other hand, is a better ability that grants you immunity to Intimidate (which is important for a Set-up Sweeper), opposing Webs and a potential Bleakwind Storm coming from Tornadus-T. I've opted for an Adamant nature instead of Jolly, because with Webs up you outspeed everything anyways, and that extra power comes in handy the sweep. Finally, Leftovers are a good item for a Substitute user.

:great-tusk:
Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

This is a similar set to yours, but instead of running 4 moves I've decided to ditch CC completely and instead go for Bulk Up, which is a valuable set-up move that allows you to potentially sweep teams, and it also allows you to 1v1 DD Dragonite, Waterpon (if you Tera), SD Valiant and opposing Tusks, thanks to the Speed control of Webs. I've opted for Tera Dragon over any other Tera because Waterpon is a very popular threat in the current meta, and this can be a valuable answer for it. Tera Fire, Water and Steel are also good options though.

---​

TAKE N.2 - Hazard-spam HO (:samurott-hisui: :kleavor: :cinderace: :gholdengo: :dragapult: :great-tusk:)

Big changes

:ribombee: ---> :samurott-hisui:

For this strategy I've decided to replace Ribombee completely, using instead Samurott-H as the main lead of the team. Alongside Kleavor's Stone Axe, Hamurott can keep pressure on the opponent with its Spikes, in order to slowly worn down the foe's mons and allowing Dragapult to sweep in the late-game.

:samurott-hisui:
Samurott-Hisui @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Cutter
- Ceaseless Edge
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

This is a very standard Suicide-Lead set for Hamurott, but it can still potentially hang around to come back and pick a KO with its priority Sucker Punch. Generally speaking though, you wanna lead with it to ensure that your Spikes are up for the rest of the game, playing around with both Dengo and Pult as your main Spin-blockers to prevent your opponent from getting rid of your Hazards. With Tera Ghost, it can also function as a Spin-blocker itself against eventual opposing leads such as Tusk and Iron Treads, threatening to KO them with a Supereffective Aqua Cutter. Knock Off, on the other hand, is very helpful to get rid of opposing mons' Heavy-Duty-Boots. The item is obviously Focus Sash, which at the very least grants Hamurott 1 or 2 layers of Spikes.

:greninja: ---> :cinderace:

:cinderace:
Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Court Change
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn

Another form of Hazard-control for your team besides Tusk, Cinderace's main role is to check your opponent Cinderace: if they Court Change all of your Hazards into your side of the field, turning the tables against you, you just Court Change them back. Cinderace can also hit quite hard with Pyro Ball, and this EV spread in particular ensure a OHKO against offensive Gholdengo and a clean 2HKO against Corviknight. With Will-O-Wisp, Cinderace can also threaten DD Dragonite, SD Iron Valiant, Kingambit and other Physical threats with a Burn. Finally, U-turn is a very good move to keep momentum for your team as you pivot into your own mons, while also hitting Waterpon Supereffectively thanks to Libero.

---
Small changes

:kleavor:
Kleavor @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Axe
- X-Scissor
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Due to Kleavor's lacking Speed, I've opted for a Choice Scarf to ensure it could at least function as a potential Revenge-Killer for your team. Hitting the first Stone Axe will naturally be your main goal during the early-game, in order to set up Rocks. Afterwards, it can function as a pretty hard-hitting offensive Pivot thanks to U-turn, with Close Combat as its main coverage to threaten Kingambit. Tera Fighting, therefore, is the logical choice to get rid of its Stealth Rock weakness, resist Gambit's Sucker Punch and to gain a useful STAB on its CC.

:gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Tera Type: Flying
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Psyshock

Gholdengo is your main tool to ensure that your Hazards stay up, so I've opted for an Air Ballon set to switch into opposing Great Tusk more safely. I kept its offensive EVs to let it still be threatening, and I gave it Nasty Plot to turn it into a potential Wallbreaker against BO, Balance and Stall strategies. This set in particular is incredibly threatening to Stall teams, which are the most resilient against Hazard-spam strategies due to their HDB-spam, since Psyshock hits incredibly hard against Blissey and Clodsire. After a single NP, the other moves can be spammed freely to KO common stall staples such as Clef, Dondozo, Alomomola, Glowking, Pex, Ting-Lu etc. Furthermore, Tera Flying provides a valuable Ground immunity just in case your Balloon gets popped.

:great-tusk:
Great Tusk @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Steel
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Knock Off
- Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

Once again, this is a similar set to the one you've already built and to the one I've mentioned above. This time, though, I've opted for a Utility role with 4 moves and Heavy-Duty-Boots to switch more freely into potential Hazards set on your side of the field. Headlong Rush is Tusk's most powerful attack and functions as its main Wallbreaking tool, while Knock Off is extremely valuable coverage that can get rid of the foe's mons HDBs and can threaten opposing Gholdengo holding an Air Balloon. Ice Spinner is also really good coverage to threaten Dragonite, Zapdos and Torn-T switching-in, and opposing Tusk. I've opted for Tera Steel instead of Tera Dragon on this set because Valiant is a bit threatening to this team, so it gives you one more potential answer (together with Dengo and Cinderace) to catch it off-guard and KO it.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Dragapult functions not only as another Spin-blocker for your team, but also as your main late-game cleaner once your Hazards have chipped your foe's mons enough. Tera Ghost Shadow Ball with Specs hits incredibly hard, and will OHKO most mons worn down by Hazards. The only other worthy mention here is Flamethrower, which allows you to punish Kingambit's switch-ins, and U-turn to obviously keep momentum.

And that's about it, as I said your team was pretty nice from the start, but it needed to be polished a bit. Feel free to try my take on your team as well if you want, and to end this rating I'll try to answer the questions you've asked as well:

1. I should have explained enough on my rating, but for any other doubt feel free to ask again.
2. Same as above. Dragapult is an extremely versatile mon that can change its set to better fit any team it might get featured in. Its main sets are Specs, Band, Sub+Will-O-Wisp and DD Sweeper.
3. It really depends on the player and its skills, but it should be more than enough to land you on a solid spot on the ladder.

PokePaste links
Team 1:
https://pokepast.es/4fcf4b0fca0b8440
Team 2: https://pokepast.es/54638cf51ff2fbf2

Edit: I always forget the PokePaste links :quagchamppogsire:

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions.

Honestly for the second team I don't wanna drop my greninja( cuz its my favourite , *sorry*).

But the first set for Kleavor was awesome switching life orb with swords dance gave it a deadly boost. I don't know how to share the replay so i couldn't but after sticky web and a swords dance Kleavor was able to KO 4 mons in a row rillaboom,dragapult,iron moth and zapdos. This is actually quite offensive(:-D). And stun spore also actually helped I can deal with opposing ribombees with stun spore and great tusk while removing entry hazards on my side.

I tried a few games and i came up with a few things i need to sort out:
1)I am not able to use substitute set for dragapult and it ends up being KOed for no use. Could you please suggest any other potential set.
2)After a few games can u suggest a way to KO kingambit(Fallen 4). It destroyed about half of my team in a game(With my Great tusk and Kleavor knocked out).

Edit: I also need some solution for dodonzo n alomomola, They just irritate a lot with no major grass aur thunder support.

Reactions: YNM

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
First of all I made a mistake, the Tusk I've linked on the PokePaste should have been Tera Dragon but it's shown as being Tera Ground, so just in case you can fix that. Moving to your questions:
1)I am not able to use substitute set for dragapult and it ends up being KOed for no use. Could you please suggest any other potential set.
Then you can instead try the Choice Band set, which still fits the role of a late-game cleaner:

Dragapult @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn
Dragon Darts is still very useful as it allows you to break through the opponent's Sash and Sturdy. In particular, most Samurott-H leads don't expect the Choice Band Pult set, and they can easily get KOd on turn 1. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) Dragapult's physical coverage is not the best, so you don't really have many options to chose from. U-turn is absolutely vital to this set, as it provides you with momentum and it also hits particularly hard Rillaboom, Ogerpon, Gren, Meowscarada and many others for chip damage as you pivot to your other mons. I decided to opt for Sucker Punch since it's probably the most useful move out of all the others available, since it can at least give you a chance to revenge kill a faster mon or win a 1v1 against an opposing Pult. It does have the disadvantage of locking you in an exploitable move though, so be careful and don't forget that you're Choiced.

Here's the fixed team: https://pokepast.es/0933452e93f78b9f

2)After a few games can u suggest a way to KO kingambit(Fallen 4). It destroyed about half of my team in a game(With my Great tusk and Kleavor knocked out).
I can't help you ban a broken mon I'm afraid. Just kidding, but as you play your matches against Gambit you have to be extra careful and make sure that your answers stay healthy. Ideally, Tusk is your best soft-check to hit, as it resists Sucker Punch and can OHKO it with Headlong Rush. Otherwise, you can potentially predict a switch-in with your Gholdengo on the field and go for the Focus Blast, or if Gambit it's already out on the field you can Tera Fighting to resist its Sucker Punch and once again go for the move. An healthy Gren will survive a Sucker Punch no matter what (unless Gambit SDs), and you can threaten it with Hydro Pump. Kleavor Tera Fighting and use CC, but don't hard-switch into it as it is pretty frail and might get knocked out in the process. Gambit is a very problematic mon in this meta, so you have to consider your options and try to use them as you play.

Edit: I also need some solution for dodonzo n alomomola, They just irritate a lot with no major grass aur thunder support.
For Dondozo and Mola (as well as other bulky mons in general) you can exploit Dengo's Scarf to Trick them your item and lock them on a move, which for defensive mons is very tough. Dengo also hits hard enough on the Special side, so these two mons can't stall it and lose. Same applies with Greninja, which can spam Dark Pulse, and even if the Dozo has Body Press it can either KO it after some chip damage, or weaken it enough to let another mon finish it off. With Mola that problem is non-existent though, and since its main offensive moves are Scald/Whirlpool/Acrobatics, which really don't do much, Gren can just switch into them and threaten Alomomola with Dark Pulse.

Here are some replays with my alt account to give you an idea of the team (with the Banded Dragapult set), the last game in particular was played against a high ladder player which I respect quite a lot.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2003347535-cfj4vz2z7s4qo5iloqr9yhwfd9mqq0kpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2003366055-wfo8a89kzchshd7nvnz8jwd7adwecynpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2003380493

Edit: btw as Fox suggested in the last game, you may want to run Night Slash over X-scissors for Kleavor, as it can at least threaten Gholdengo that way.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)