Pokémon Klefki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone check if Klefki can get Knock Off via breeding? I won't have access to the games for a little while.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I really don't understand why people use Klefki. It's so overrated for something that just sits there and does very little; although with entry hazards up, it's mildly useful/irritating.

The only time that I felt threatened was one that used BOTH toxic AND thunder wave.

The rest of the time, my 0 attack IV Rotom just trolls thunder wave Klefki all day long.

Last edited:
Is there a more general klefki counter? I start to see this little keychain everywhere now. Luckily last time I fought this thing I carried a Quagsire and Magic Bounce Espeon but I still need to play a lot of prediction game before I defeated this thing.
Magnezone.
Can't be paralyzed, and low attack, traps klefki.
As an extra fuck you , use magic coat and bounce back all the spikes if they have that set.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I really don't understand why people use Klefki. It's so overrated for something that just sits there and does very little; although with entry hazards up, it's mildly useful/irritating.

The only time that I felt threatened was one that used BOTH toxic AND thunder wave.

The rest of the time, my 0 attack IV Rotom just trolls thunder wave Klefki all day long.
Well that's your opinion. Everytime I brought out my Klefki, it always manages to do something crucial. There was the time that Prankster Light Screen not only allowed Klefki to survive a Charizard-Y encounter, but also allowed Trevenant to take it down with Rock Slide. Later in that very same match, Klefki set up another Light Screen to completely cockblock Starmie, allowing Trevenant to heal itself. Good for you that you have Rotom-W as a solid response to most of the Klefkis you encountered, but what if it was Dual Screens?

Maybe it does happen to do very little a match, but it always manages to do something for me. This is not unlike the case of Talonflame, who can't really do jackshit as long as Rock-types, Rotom-W, Heatran or even Gliscor are about.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well that's your opinion. Everytime I brought out my Klefki, it always manages to do something crucial. There was the time that Prankster Light Screen not only allowed Klefki to survive a Charizard-Y encounter, but also allowed Trevenant to take it down with Rock Slide. Later in that very same match, Klefki set up another Light Screen to completely cockblock Starmie, allowing Trevenant to heal itself. Good for you that you have Rotom-W as a solid response to most of the Klefkis you encountered, but what if it was Dual Screens?

Maybe it does happen to do very little a match, but it always manages to do something for me. This is not unlike the case of Talonflame, who can't really do jackshit as long as Rocks, Rotom-W, Heatran or even Gliscor are about.
I have honestly never had a problem with Klefki whatsoever. My Rotom also runs double screens, so Klefki is actually setup bait.

ive completely dismantled Mblazikens with clefable, doesn't mean MBlaziken is a bad pokemon.

Just because your rotom does well against it doesn't mean klefki is a bad pokemon. Prankster Screens have had an insurmountable amount of influence in every match I play with klefki, therefore it always on my team, It does something very good for me.

doesn't always mean it's going to 6-0 a team or KO anything at all, but being a very good team support/crippler/AegisSlash man handler Make's him a welcome edition to my team and never useless

Punchshroom

I have honestly never had a problem with Klefki whatsoever. My Rotom also runs double screens, so Klefki is actually setup bait.
Again, good for you that Klefki doesn't trouble you. However, claiming that Klefki is setup bait can turn on its head when it starts pouring down Spikes on you, since Klefki is very capable of doing a lot of things in a match, making it only complete setup bait for not a lot of Pokemon. The fact that you're using Dual Screens leads me to believe you're running a more offensive team, and you can't tell me that Klefki's Thunder Wave didn't prevent you for going for a clean sweep from time to time.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Again, good for you that Klefki doesn't trouble you. However, claiming that Klefki is setup bait can turn on its head when it starts pouring down Spikes on you, since Klefki is very capable of doing a lot of things in a match, making it only complete setup bait for not a lot of Pokemon. The fact that you're using Dual Screens leads me to believe you're running a more offensive team, and you can't tell me that Klefki's Thunder Wave didn't prevent you for going for a clean sweep from time to time.
You're correct in your assertion that my team is very offensive. However, Klefki seldom paralyzes anything, unless I shuffle deliberately to Aegislash (which is -Speed anyway). Against strong, thinking opponents, Klefki is dead weight.

Punchshroom

You're correct in your assertion that my team is very offensive. However, Klefki seldom paralyzes anything, unless I shuffle deliberately to Aegislash (which is -Speed anyway). Against strong, thinking opponents, Klefki is dead weight.
Sorry if I do not understand this logic at all. How can Klefki not contribute at all against smart opponents? The fact of the matter is that very few Pokemon can stop Klefki from doing its job(s), and since you're using one of those Pokemon that can stop (some, not all) Klefki, you automatically dismiss it as a threat. Your Rotom-W may easily setup Dual Screens on it, but 3 layers of Spikes on your side may very well render that moot, not to mention Prankster Thunder Wave denying you sweeps (you claim to switch to Aegislash, said action which may already deny you the sweep, but Aegi can be beaten down with Foul Plays).

You also said that Toxic Klefki gave you trouble, which, when combined with what you said previously, has you give off the impression that "only Toxic Klefki should be used / viable". Even you know that is not the case, different Klefkis threaten different teams. For example, Gliscor also doesn't give a shit about most Klefkis (including those with Toxic), but if Klefki has Dual Screens and / or Spikes and something like Lum Berry Cloyster waiting in the wings, Gliscor itself then becomes the setup bait and could very well be the cause for the doom of its team.

Just because you have little to no trouble with Klefki, doesn't invalidate its use on a team. I have a Tyranitar and Rotom-W on my team, does that make me believe Talonflame shouldn't be used? No, because Talonflame is great against most everything else. Likewise, Klefki gets plenty of shit done against most things that can't threaten it (which is a lot, and that can include your Rotom-W), and can definitely fight back with Foul Play and Play Rough against things like Aegislash and Tyranitar, so don't dismiss it as a threat so easily.

swagster klefki should be banned for the same reason double team is banned.
I disagree as, at least currently, if Klefki is as bad as you say it is - you need a designated counter/check for it. They should/could be running Persim/Lum Berry. I suppose then there's the issue of Klefki getting a sub, but there's also Harvest HA or you could run a Klefki with Recycle.

Here's my idea for an anti-Swagkey Trevenant:

Trevenant @ Persim/Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP/ 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp

No speed EVs as Swagkey's got priority. The idea here is that Trevenant is the only poke you'll have to use to counter Klefki, and it can still play roles outside of countering it - mainly taking it Klefki though. If your opponent has Klefki, you can safely lead with Trevenant (seeing as they like to lead ALOT). On Klefki switch-ins, you bring in Trevenant. Leech/WoW is so you can put Swagkey on a timer. Sub so you can hide and hopefully avoid its Swagger. Shadow Claw is neutral damage

Last edited:

Punchshroom

I disagree as, at least currently, if Klefki is as bad as you say it is - you need a designated counter/check for it. They should/could be running Persim/Lum Berry. I suppose then there's the issue of Klefki getting a sub, but there's also Harvest HA or you could run a Klefki with Recycle.

Here's my idea for an anti-Swagkey Trevenant:

Trevenant @ Persim/Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP/ 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp

No speed EVs as Swagkey's got priority. The idea here is that Trevenant is the only poke you'll have to use to counter Klefki, and it can still play roles outside of countering it - mainly taking it Klefki though. If your opponent has Klefki, you can safely lead with Trevenant (seeing as they like to lead ALOT). On Klefki switch-ins, you bring in Trevenant. Leech/WoW is so you can put Swagkey on a timer. Sub so you can hide and hopefully avoid its Swagger. Shadow Claw is neutral damage
+2 281 Atk (95 Dark Physical) vs. 252 HP / 120 Def (custom): 350-414 (93.58 - 110.69%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

When discussing answers to SwagKey, it is important to note how much damage you'll be taking from Foul Play. This is why in terms of Magic Bouncers, Xatu makes a better SwagKey response than Mega-Absol, despite type effectiveness dictating otherwise. This is proven (by yours truly) in the pages before.

Klefki can really help to cripple the opponent's team (unless they're all ground and electric-types); speaking of Rotom, I don't see why you'd immediately send out Klefki until Rotom/any other Klefki counters are KO'd (and even then, depending on which set you're using, as Punchshroom said, Klefki can still serve some use; Klefki is very versatile).

+2 281 Atk (95 Dark Physical) vs. 252 HP / 120 Def (custom): 350-414 (93.58 - 110.69%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

When discussing answers to SwagKey, it is important to note how much damage you'll be taking from Foul Play. This is why in terms of Magic Bouncers, Xatu makes a better SwagKey response than Mega-Absol, despite type effectiveness dictating otherwise. This is proven (by yours truly) in the pages before.
Ouch, alright. I'm guessing even at close to 252 Def it's not escaping a OHKO from Klefki. Obviously I miscalculated how bulky it was. Doesn't Xatu have to look out for Foul Play though? Sure it's attack isn't great but do you max Def using it? I suppose there's also Mega-Banette, it's Mega speed-tied Klefki so I suppose it, in theory, could be a SwagKey too. It's pursuit-weak though.

What's your anti-SwagKey Xatu set?

I am currently running Gliscor to counter this little key, worked out pretty good so far.
At the moment I am thinking about replacing Aegislash with swagkey due to having 2 other physical attackers on my team.

The suggested Ev's for swagkey tell me to invest in SpD.
This seems strange to me considering the main move to get rid of this thing seems to be earthquake.
Could someone explain why it is better to run SpD?

I am currently running Gliscor to counter this little key, worked out pretty good so far.
At the moment I am thinking about replacing Aegislash with swagkey due to having 2 other physical attackers on my team.

This seems strange to me considering the main move to get rid of this thing seems to be earthquake.
Disregard what PS tells you, those are the dumbest EV spreads in existence. Instead, look in threads like this for spreads. Also it's not like you're taking Earthquakes after using Swagger anyways.

Punchshroom

Ouch, alright. I'm guessing even at close to 252 Def it's not escaping a OHKO from Klefki. Obviously I miscalculated how bulky it was. Doesn't Xatu have to look out for Foul Play though? Sure it's attack isn't great but do you max Def using it? I suppose there's also Mega-Banette, it's Mega speed-tied Klefki so I suppose it, in theory, could be a SwagKey too. It's pursuit-weak though.

What's your anti-SwagKey Xatu set?
Roost and Night Shade / Heat Wave are all Xatu really needs for SwagKey. Bold Nature and 0 Atk IVs help minimize damage from Foul Play

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/klefki.3489916/page-8#post-4943054

In VGC doubles Klefki could dominate when paired with sigilyph. They both have awesome interlocking resistances and superb defensive game. Klefki assists sigilyph with dual screens while it sets up cosmic power. sigigyph is basically immune to status with a flame orb and can psycho shift paralysis back to an opposing Klefki that thunder waves it the first turn. sigilyph being immune to earthquake can safely psychoshift either burn or even first turn paralysis to most offending ground types(PARALYSE GROUND TYPES!) and completely ruin them while klefki switches out to a resist. with the enemy burnt+reflect, physical attacks, namely earthquake, become negligible prolonging klefki. because fire types pose a significant danger, with burn immunity and the ability to dammage klefki it is recommended to keep a bulky water in store or a ground type of your own to get spread earth quakes and eliminate fire types so that klefki can return to battle. the combo has just enough synergy to make for a viable defensive doubles strategy which is too rare for most teams to even prepare for.

Are Klefki's Base Stats correct on Showdown? There is a slight discrepancy between the stats on PS and Serebii:

PS: 58/80/91/81/87/76
Serebii: 57/81/91/80/87/75

I know many rest talk Klefki sets have been though up of, but I don't understand why people don't just make it only Modest/Bold and why people would invest anymore than 4 HP EV's into it. It sort of ruins the point of draining kiss' really high 75% healing in conjunction with Klefki's really low HP and either decreases draining kiss' potential damage or Klefki's defensive power.

Investing in Def/SpA EVs instead of HP/Def EVs means you will heal more damage from your draining kisses because your special attack is higher making draining kiss stronger and your hp is lower.

Investing in Def/SpA EVs instead of HP/SpA EVs means your overall defensive power will be higher and you will heal more damage from your draining kisses because your hp is lower.

Its just like Conkledurr's Bulk Up set on Smogon , it decides to invest in SpD to make up for the lack of special defensive power and to maximize healing from drain punch.

Rest Talk Fairy Lips Kleki
Klefki @ leftovers/Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
4HP / 252Def / 252SpA
Modest/Bold Nature
Rest
Sleep Talk
Calm Mind
Draining Kiss

A Rest Talk set works pretty well with pokemon who have the ability prankster due to Sleep Talk being able to give attacking moves priority due to the Prankster ability. Modest Nature and max SpA EV's ensure that it will actually be able to deal some damage as draining kiss is too weak and its SpA stat is too low to afford not investing in SpA EVs. With max Def investment Klefki is also able to take physical hits. You don't need to worry about your special defense much because you will be multiplying it with calm mind. Pixie plate works well to help Klefki deal with Pokemon that would otherwise easily take Draining Kiss and helps to multiply draining kiss' damage which in turn, also increases the amount it heals Klefki. If you are going to run Pixie plate on it however, make sure that it is modest and not bold natured. Some statistics included below with over running Leftovers vs Pixie Plate -
+2 252+ SpA Klefki Draining Kiss vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Conkeldurr: 270-318 (76.7 - 90.34%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Pixie Plate Klefki Draining Kiss vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Conkeldurr: 320-380 (90.9 - 107.95%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ SpA Klefki Draining Kiss vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 153-181 (44.6 - 52.76%) -- 25.39% chance to 2HKO
+6 252+ SpA pixie Plate Klefki Draining Kiss vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 185-218 (53.93 - 63.55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ SpA Klefki Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 61-72 (18.88 - 22.29%) -- possible 5HKO
+6 252+ SpA Pixie Plate Klefki Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 73-86 (22.6 - 26.62%) -- possible 4HKO
+2 252+ SpA Klefki Draining Kiss vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 82-97 (31.29 - 37.02%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 252+ SpA Pixie Plate Klefki Draining Kiss vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 98-116 (37.4 - 44.27%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This is the Klefki I've been using and it's soooooo good. It can literally come in on any pokemon and use swagger to get the confuse. With the EV investment, I've always had enough hp for several subs. Hopefully you only do it once until you can start spamming foul play to kill them, or you can use t-wave if you think it'd be wiser to cripple the opposing poke. Once you take out the first poke, it's sweep central from there. The sub makes it so much easier to get off a safe swagger and start foul playing everything to death. On average, this thing can take down half the team in OU and Ubers before it gets knocked out or my opponent rage quits.
He's got the moves, like Swagger
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Swagger
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

I've been pawned by a Klefki like this and now I'm pawning with it:

Klefki @ Lefotvers
Prankster
252/0/252/0/4/0
~ Thunderwave
~ Swagger
~ Foul Play
~ Substitute

I've been pawned by a Klefki like this and now I'm pawning with it:

Klefki @ Lefotvers
Prankster
252/0/252/0/4/0
~ Thunderwave
~ Swagger
~ Foul Play
~ Substitute
i don't know about you but this set is the main reason i am not playing any 6 gen match , it actually brought the worst and ugliest part of B/W NU all over the place, i hope it subsides soon.

i don't know about you but this set is the main reason i am not playing any 6 gen match , it actually brought the worst and ugliest part of B/W NU all over the place, i hope it subsides soon.
This Swagger Klefki is even doing great in ubers (with max SDef instead of Def though).
I think Prankster should be banned as Moody was. Most Prankster users relies on luck to set up anyway.

How the hell do most prankster users rely on luck?
The only prankster set i know that really relies on luck is Swagkeys/pard
Dual screens/Sub seed/Toxic stall/General utility/Sub CM/Sub pass etc don't rely on luck and most other sets don't either

If prankster should be banned due to luck then so should Hustle because that relies on luck to hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)