Gen 3 Koffing (NU Analysis)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus

https://www.smogon.com/dex/rs/pokemon/koffing/

[Overview]

Koffing is probably the most complete counter to Hitmonchan in NU. I'll let that sink in for a moment. Sableye comes close to holding this title (it actually does with RestTalk but that's a poor use of Sableye), but Koffing is also unaffected by Toxic and Spikes and has access to Will-O-Wisp, letting it beat all forms of the punching menace. Outside of that specific role, Sableye is probably a better fit for your team as it has an easier time countering other dangerous Choice Band users such as Pidgeot and Raticate. But if you absolutely need the best possible answer to Hitmonchan and want burns spread around your opponent's team, then Koffing may warrant closer consideration.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Pain Split
move 4: Explosion / Haze
item: Leftovers
ability: Levitate
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
- Get in on Hitmonchan and click Will-O-Wisp, just be sure to not burn something like Raticate
- Sludge Bomb is a decently strong STAB move and lets Koffing enjoy its ability to take on Grass-types as well
- Pain Split can really mess with Wailord and is Koffing's most solid method of healing
- Explosion allows Koffing to take out a specific threat if needed
- Haze can be used instead to prevent things from using it as setup bait

[ADDITIONAL SET COMMENTS]
- Max Defense needed to make use of the fact that Koffing counters Hitmonchan even without a burn
- Works well on balanced teams as the burns it spreads and Explosion can open up setup opportunities for teammates
- Best teammates are those that need a solid answer to Hitmonchan, particularly Normal- and Rock-types like Kecleon, Graveler, and Relicanth
- Also appreciates teammates to switch into Chimecho and other special attackers, Dewgong, Roselia, and Flareon

[Other Options]
- Destiny Bond
- Fire Blast
- Memento
- Screech, Torment, Thief, Toxic

[Checks and Counters]
- Bulky Water-types
- [Inset Special attacker here] Haunter, Chimecho, Flareon, Huntail, Pikachu
- Torkoal
- Swalot
- Raticate

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This set is fine, but I'd like to see another one with Memento on the set since it's the best user of the move in ADV NU and it enables pretty much any set up sweeper to get going unless you Memento into a Roar Wailord or another phazer. I used this on a successful team with BD Poliwhirl that got used a lot a while ago. I lost the team though so I don't remember the exact set. It definitely also had willo and probably sludge bomb. 4th may have been boom? not positive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)