VGC Kommo-o x Penguin

Team Preview

Team Building Process

I knew that I wanted to build a team around Kommo-o. I heard that the core of Tapu Bulu + Mega-Gengar + Kommo-o was efficient at supporting a Kommo-o sweep so I started there.

Then, I added an Incineroar because of how splashable it is. It gave a psychic immunity, intimidate, and fake out in a single slot. So it joined the team.

I knew that I would need some form of speed control and Zapdos is a pretty common pick for the given meta. It functioned as a tailwinder and also provided roar support to deter trick room from being set-up. Then, I decided that I wanted to have a secondary set up sweeper incase I didn't bring Kommo-o. I decided on Azumarill because it allowed gave the team a strong priority attack and a bulky water type to help against rain.

After testing the team, I found that if I faced a Mega-Gengar, that I would often lose my Azumarill very early in the match and lose as a result. To fix this, I initially tried running a very bulky kebia berry Azumarill, that could live a Mega-Gengar sludge bomb and still belly drum 100% of the time. However, the speed was still large concern for me because the team was extremely weak to Tapu-Lele. I knew that I still wanted a water type and a steel type would also be nice. So, I found Empoleon and went with an agility set instead of an assault vest set.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Level: 50
EVs: 60 HP / 84 Def / 44 SpA / 140 SpD / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Ice Beam
Empoleon was actually the last pokemon to join the team, replacing Azumarill. I found that when I encountered a Mega-Gengar/Kommo-o match up my Azumarill would always get OHKO'd by the Gengar and I would usually end up losing. Empoleon allowed me to have something that could set up on Gengar with moderate ease. It also provided a crucial fairy and psychic resist to check Tapu Lele. Because the team revolved around having a secondary sweeper besides Kommo-o, I decided to borrow a set from DPP OU and go with agility. As much as I detest hydro pump, it is necessary to have any measurable damage output comparative to scald. Ice beam is primarily to hit Zapdos and Landorus-T without having to rely on hydro pump. The evs allow Empoleon to live a LO Thunderbolt from Tapu Koko outside of electric terrain and live 2 earthquakes from Landorus-T in grassy terrain. 180 speed allows Empoleon to outspeed Mega-Manectric after an agility. 44 special attack evs allows Empoleon to OHKO 4/0 Tapu Koko with hydro pump when in torrent.

Gengar-Mega (F) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
A pretty standard Mega-Gengar set. The primary focus is to trap fairies for Kommo-o to setup and sweep. Sludge bomb hits fairy and grass types, specifically Tapus. Shadow ball is a secondary stab that hits Mega-Metagross and Aegislash. Will-O-Wisp allows Gengar to neuter physical attackers, usually this ends up being AV Landorus-T and Mega-Kangaskhan. By burning physical attackers it allows either Empoleon or Kommo-o an easier time setting up. The evs are pretty straight foward, max speed to speed tie with Tapu Koko and max special attack to maximize the damage done and net specific KOs.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
I knew that choice scarf Tapu Bulu was the most common set that is used with Mega-Gengar and Kommo-o, so I decided to try the set and it helped the rain matchup immensely. Wood hammer provides for a powerful stab that OHKOs just about anything that doesn't resist it in grassy terrain. Horn leech is there as a secondary stab that doesn't take away from Tapu Bulu's health. Stone edge is there specifically to catch Charizard, Volcarona, and Zapdos off guard and net a quick kill. Charizard especially is problematic for the team and this allows for easy removal if you hit it. Superpower is primarily filler, but it helps the matchup against Incineroar and Ferrothorn. The evs allow Tapu Bulu to outspeed Mega-Salamence and underspeed timid Tapu Koko. This allows me to check the speed of Tapu Koko relative to Gengar and ensure that they do not have electric terrain. The remaining evs were spent maximizing attack and the rest went to bulk.​

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 20 HP / 12 Def / 156 SpA / 76 SpD / 244 Spe
Modest Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse / Substitute
- Protect
Kommo-o is the star of the show and my Z-move user. Clangorous soulblaze allows Kommo-o to obtain an omni-boost and sweep through unprepared teams. Clanging scales is required to use the z-move and acts as the primary attack on Kommo-o. Because Kommo-o does not have a lot of decent special moves I chose to run focus blast to handle Incineroar and Celesteela. The final moveslot is really personal opinion. I prefer dragon pulse because it allows me to hit opposing Kommo-o who run soundproof, but substitute is nice to outpredict Amoonguss who try to spore. The evs were take from a sample team post on Ansena's Blog. The spread on the Kommo-o sample team had insufficient evs and I was able to have an extra 8 evs by running a modest nature over a timid nature.

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 220 HP / 100 Atk / 76 Def / 84 SpD / 28 Spe
204 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 60 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Protect
Ever since Incineroar has gotten it's ability released, it has seen a huge increase in usage. Incineroar acts primarily as fake out user to allow Kommo-o to set up. I usually end up leading Incineroar + Kommo-o if I only see one fairy type at team preview. I'll fake out the fairy type and clangorous soulblaze. Knock off allows me to remove pinch berries and assault vests from various pokemon. Flare blitz acts as Incineroar's main attack for dealing damage. The top ev spread I honestly do not remember where I got it from, but it has served me well and I use it. It runs enough evs to outpace standard Incineroar and get the fake out off first. The second ev spread is from Ansena's blog. It would probably be better for someone that wants to ladder with this team to use her EV spread. Lastly, I chose a pinch berry over assault vest because it allows me to run protect.

Zapdos @ Safety Goggles / Wiki Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 236 HP / 116 Def / 28 SpA / 84 SpD / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Roar
Zapdos is mainly here to provide tailwind support and act as a trick room deterrent with roar. Thunderbolt allows Zapdos to have a stab that hits Tapu Fini and Politoed for good damage. Heat wave helps against Ferrothorn and the rare Mega-Scizor. Tailwind allows me to match an opponents speed control and allow Kommo-o to still outspeed my opponent. As mentioned previously, roar for stopping trick room setup or phasing Snorlax on the turn they decide to belly drum. Again I don't remember where I got the ev spread from, but it allows Zapdos to live a Mega-Metagross zen headbutt in psychic terrain, or a life orb psychic from Tapu Lele. Zapdos' item I honestly go back and forth between. Safety goggles is primarily for Amoonguss so that I can't be put to sleep and can phase out the setup sweeper next to it. But, wiki berry provides better survivability against most teams.

Imports:
Empoleon

Kebia Azumarill

Sitrus Azumarill

Replays:
1| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)