Not open for further replies.

Name: Kyurem-White
Type: Dragon / Ice
Abilities: Turboblaze
Base Stats: 125 / 120 / 90 / 170 / 100 / 95
Movepool: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/kyurem-w/moves
Stats and movepool unconfirmed

General Description:
170 special attack is still as HOLY FUCK as it was last generation. However, there are a few perks and bummers in the metagame around Kyurem-W. Fairy-types is the biggest downer to the Dragon as it can't mindlessly sling out Choice Specs Draco Meteors, knowing that it'll dent whatever comes in, anymore. On the other hand, Defog makes it pretty easy to keep hazards like Stealth Rock away which is nice as now you can spam Kyurem-W more often.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
This is the set I have been using for a while:

Kyurem-White @ Choice Specs
Trait: Turboblaze
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4SpD
-Draco Meteor
-Ice Beam
-Fusion Flare/Focus Blast
-Focus Blast/Earth Power/Flash Cannon

I haven't played ubers much but from what I've seen Kyurem-W is still effective despite the introduction of Xerneas and Fairy types in general. There are bad and good news about it:

The bad news:
-Draco Meteor can no longer OHKO Dialga on the Specs set, so it's forced to rely on Focus Blast for that. It also misses the OHKO against most Kyogre variants which is unfortunate. Hopefully it will get Freeze Dry...
-It no longer has perfect coverage in 3 moves so depending on its moveset there are pokemon who can reliably check it if it's locked into the wrong move with its Choice set (Most notably Azumarill and Assault Vest Tyranitar).
-While Xerneas takes ~80% from Specs Ice Beam, it will enjoy switching on Draco Meteor and use Kyu-W as setup bait. There are two ways to get around it though, which I'll mention later.

The good news:
-SR weakness was easily Kyurem-W's worst flaw in BW but now that entry hazards are much easier to deal with in ubers, especially when powerful and resilient pokemon such as Lugia and Arceus himself get Defog, Kyu-W is free to switch in much more often than before and wreck havoc.
-As I mentioned before Xerneas is a problem, but Kyu-W can actually OHKO it with Flash Cannon on the switch. FC however faces competition for a moveslot from Focus Blast, Fusion Flare and Earth Power (Ice and Dragon STABs are of course a must) so it's not easy to fit that in. Another way to get around Xerneas is to pair Kyurem-W with something that checks it. Aegislash resists everything Kyu-W is weak to and is a solid check for the rainbow deer. Other good partners that can check Xerneas are Arceus-Steel and Ho-oh, who can also check the less common Arceus-Fairy.
-Based on what I just said it's obvious that Kyu-W is a fantastic lure for Xerneas. Most players will try to keep it healthy for lategame sweeping because it's Geomancy set is a one time deal, but Xerneas is the only common pokemon in ubers that can stomach Kyurem-W's Draco Meteors: that's when you bring your Xerneas check in and either force its out or ruin its sweep.

Concluding, the Defog buff is the best thing to happen to Kyurem-W in XY, while the existance of fairies -especially Xerneas- is the worst. The Ice Beam nerf is practically unnoticeable from what I've seen, but Draco Meteor failing to OHKO Dialga and Kyogre is pretty annoying.
Kyurem-W's weakness to Xerneas can be turned into a strength by taking advantage of its ability to lure the Life pokemon early in the match and from there deal with it accordingly with team mates, which makes Kyu-W a better team player than it used to be in BW, where it was more of a mindless Draco Meteor spammer.

With fairy around I'll drop choise item on most dragons.

Kyu-W @ Life-orb
Timid/Modest
252SpA 4SpD 252Spe
DracoMeteor
IceBeam/FrostBreath
FusionFlare/FocusBlast
EarthPower/FlashCannon(looking at you Xerneas)/Roost

I think Modest is the better nature cause I don't see many 90base speed going full invested + positive nature.

While losing some OHKO and suffering from LO recoil this set can stay in longer, and that's great cause of SR weakness.

Don't forget about FrostBreath that ignore all CM buffs while losing 10%acc and freezehax, is still a viable option.

Last edited:
With the new fairy type, every dragon should hold a steel/poison move, Steel is preferable because it gets rid of ice too, this guy can make lots from his Flash cannon, getting rid (or at least making him actually stand a chance against) of Rock (Tyranitar mostly) and Fairy (Fairy Arceus and Xerneas) but with the nice SE on ice.

Here is something I would run:

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Dragon Pulse
- Frost Breath
- Flash Cannon
- Fusion Flare

Frost breath > Ice Beam because allows you to get the sweet crit bonuses, Dragon Pulse for STAB and getting rid of dragons, Flash Cannon like I stated and Fusion Flare over Focus Blast because Ferrathorn, Scizor, Mega Scizor, Forratress and Genesect.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With the new fairy type, every dragon should hold a steel/poison move, Steel is preferable because it gets rid of ice too, this guy can make lots from his Flash cannon, getting rid (or at least making him actually stand a chance against) of Rock (Tyranitar mostly) and Fairy (Fairy Arceus and Xerneas) but with the nice SE on ice.

Here is something I would run:

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Dragon Pulse
- Frost Breath
- Flash Cannon
- Fusion Flare

Frost breath > Ice Beam because allows you to get the sweet crit bonuses, Dragon Pulse for STAB and getting rid of dragons, Flash Cannon like I stated and Fusion Flare over Focus Blast because Ferrathorn, Scizor, Mega Scizor, Forratress and Genesect.
Kyurem cannot learn Frost Breath unless they changed in in Gen 6 (which we won't know until Pokebank).

Draco Meteor/Ice Beam/Fusion Flare|Earth Power/Flash Cannon is probably the better move choice to run there. Focus Blast is not as good of an option this Gen thanks to Aegislash.

Should point out that due to losing it's moves (and replaced for Level up moves) when it changes formes, all TMs and Tutor moves from Gen 5 cannot be used on any of the Kyurem formes in X and Y. (Except standard Kyurem)

Last edited:
Wait, what?
As far as I know Kyurem doesn't lose any move when it changes form - Glaciate is replaced by Freeze Shock/Ice Burn and Scary Face is replaced by Fusion Bolt/Fusion Flare.
Hmm...oh you're right. I thought it didn't. Had to check to make sure. Never mind. Sorry for the confusion.

I see Flash Cannon most certainly overtaking either Fail Blast or Fusion Flare (and Iron Head becoming a thing on Ky-B), for the nice Fairy coverage. Most likely FB will get the axe. Though I've always wondered, why even use Earth Power when Fusion Flare is 10 BP stronger, and both hit Steel types well.

Non-Specs Kyurem-W fails to OHKO Xerneas (0 HP/0 SDEF), Arceus-Fairy (252 HP/0 SDEF) and Arceus-Rock (252 HP/0 SDEF) and they can answer back with Geomancy/Judgment.

EDIT: Fails to OHKO With Flash Cannon...

If you are using anything other than specs Kyurem-W in this meta then ugh... Scarf still lacks power to beat those Arc-formes with Flash Cannon, specs gets outsped.

252HP Xerneas can take a Flash Cannon from Specs Kyurem-W and proceed to KO or Geomancy. 252Speed Xerneas can OHKO him with Moonblast if Kyurem-W is Modest or Xerneas is Timid, etc. Those Arc-formes cant be OHKO with FC even by Specs Modest Kyurem and they can OHKO back with no investment in SATK. Flash Cannon isnt very good, but works wonders if you predict a Xerneas/Arceus-Fairy switch. You can FC on the switch and then KO next turn (but only if you are Scarfed). Scarfed Kyurem-W is far from bad. Is an excellent cleaner and can face pokemon that Specs Kyurem-W cant.

Flash cannon shouldn't even be a slash as far as I can see (stab ice beam get's every 2hko/ohko flash cannon would as far as I can see?)

Flash Cannon is a bad option for Kyurem-W in general. I'm well aware of that xD.

stab ice beam get's every 2hko/ohko flash cannon would as far as I can see?
FC can potentially OHKO 4HP Xerneas (100% with SRock), Ice Beam can do that but not as well (7% with SR). Thats the only scenario FC is better than Ice Beam for Specs Kyurem-W.

A scarf Kyurem set can 2HKO with Ice Beam a 4HP Xerneas but 252HP Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy and Arceus-Rock are 3HKO. That's why on a Scarfed set it could be considered.

Flash Cannon is a bad option for Kyurem-W in general. I'm well aware of that xD.

FC can potentially OHKO 4HP Xerneas (100% with SRock), Ice Beam can do that but not as well (7% with SR). Thats the only scenario FC is better than Ice Beam for Specs Kyurem-W.

A scarf Kyurem set can 2HKO with Ice Beam a 4HP Xerneas but 252HP Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy and Arceus-Rock are 3HKO. That's why on a Scarfed set it could be considered.
If a Xerneas is uninvested in defenses, it's going to be max Speed and will Geomancy before you can hit it with Flash Cannon. That's why you might as well be spamming Specs Ice Beam to hit pretty much everything else harder while Xerneas still can't switch in. Either way you're going to need a Xerneas check/priority if it comes in after you kill something.

If a Xerneas is uninvested in defenses, it's going to be max Speed and will Geomancy before you can hit it with Flash Cannon. That's why you might as well be spamming Specs Ice Beam to hit pretty much everything else harder while Xerneas still can't switch in. Either way you're going to need a Xerneas check/priority if it comes in after you kill something.
Flash Cannon in a Specs set I dont think is a good idea. FC only beats Ice Beam in that scenario (againts a "speedy" Xerneas) and is not enough of a reason to run the move. Overall Ice Beam is a better move to use and spam. No doubt.

On a scarf set FC can hit any Xerneas/Arceus-Fairy on the switch expecting Draco Meteor. A lot of players will expect Specs Kyurem and will stay to Moonblast/Judgment Kyurem giving you the 2HKO. That's why I said it COULD be considered.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Posting a few relevant calculations about Flash Cannon and Ice Beam vs Xerneas...

252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem-W: 416-492 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem-W: 416-492 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem-W Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 358-422 (90.8 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem-W Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 358-422 (90.8 - 107.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem-W Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 301-355 (76.3 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem-W Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 301-355 (76.3 - 90.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

So Flash Cannon has a chance to OHKO Xerneas even without rocks, while Ice Beam needs them and even then the chance is low.
Xerneas has a 50% chance to OHKO a healthy Kyurem-W with Moonblast, assuming no rocks and it's not running LO or Modest nature.

Xerneas will be a big thorn in kyurem-w its only method of getting past it is flash cannon which does not even net a guaranteed ohko unless stealth rock and has a modest nature, and running flash cannon seem subpar when you can run earth power or focus miss. Though kyurem-w really loves the defog buff the dragon nerf really hurts its draco meteor spamming potential. But even with xerneas rampant the tier still has a high population of dragons which kyurem-w is more than happy to destroy.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Can you people stop advising flash cannon as a viable option? We already got flash cannon as xerns 4th most common move. We don't want the same to happen to kyu-w

Can you people stop advising flash cannon as a viable option? We already got flash cannon as xerns 4th most common move. We don't want the same to happen to kyu-w
I completely agree you are better off running focus miss or earth power for other threats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)