SM OU La Luna

La Luna

(click sprites for importable)
Introduction

Hey everyone, lyd here and I have a new team to share with y'all :)

Overall, I've tried several times to build PsySpam, mostly using Mega Medicham as the terrain exploiter but this time I decided to try out Mega Alakazam, and I gotta say I got surprised with how good this Pokémon is under terrain in all honesty. I've tried it before a couple times, but I think it was mostly poor teambuilding in my part that didn't allow me to realize just how good this monster is under the right conditions. I honestly really enjoy posting some of my most solid builds here and maybe get 'em improved as a bonus, so I honestly think another RMT was quite overdue, actually. And I gotta say, I really dislike laddering, but this team has brought me quite a lot of success, I won't post any peaks or anything because I really can't stand laddering, I might try to join an OU Room tour or two to showcase how good I think this team is, but don't quote me on that. In general, I think I've always been a better builder and an analysis / article writer than a player, but so in reality, what do I gain from keeping this team to myself? It would really make my day to see this team used in an official tournament or something similar, and I hope whoever is reading this likes this build.

Metagame Analysis

A common trend I've found recently, is people saying USM OU is a stale, boring, repetitive, and formulaic, metagame, and truly, one of my goals when crafting this team was to showcase the opposite. For instance, none of the Pokémon people usually complain to see everywhere (Landorus-T, Toxapex, Kartana) are used here, I gotta be honest, this wasn't like my objective to not use these Pokémon because that'd be a tad bit stupid, but it just goes to show how the metagame can be more versatile then you may think. And while none of the Pokémon I picked are like underdogs or anything similar, I personally feel like this team is the kind of team you have fun using, not that bread-and-butter Landorus-T + Magearna Offense you see everywhere, or CelePex + Clefable Balance you also see everywhere. It's a bit of a different concept, mixing up Hawlucha and PsySpam, exploring niche sets such as Guardian of Alola Tapu Lele, and using unexplored defensive cores, such as that of Tapu Bulu and Zapdos. In general I tried a bit to deviate from the norm while still making a viable team, and in all honesty, I think I succeeded.

Teambuilding Process

So, first thing's first,
I wanted to build
around PsySpam,
so Tapu Lele was
immediately the
go-to pick.

My second pick was
Mega Alakazam,
forming the infamous
PsySpam core that
threatens many
common archetypes.

Afterward, I decided to
add Hawlucha, arguably
one of the best revenge
killers and also giving me
a secondary win condition
and speed control.

Assault Vest Tapu Bulu was
the next pick, acting as a
solid defensive pivot and
checking the likes of
Ash-Greninja, opposing
Tapu Lele, and Tapu Koko.

Zapdos, on the other hand,
acts as a check to most
threatening physical attackers,
like Kartana, Mega Pinsir, and
Hawlucha, and forms an
excellent core with Tapu Bulu.

Finally, Heatran rounds out the
team by providing Stealth Rock,
Taunt and a Fire-type switch-in.
Also improves the matchup
against Stall considerably and
benefits from Tapu Bulu.

Climax

Tapu Lele

Tapu Lele
@ Tapunium Z @
# Psychic Surge #
-Atk: 0 IVs | SpA: 252 EVs | SpD: 4 EVs | +Spe: 252 EVs
Psyshock | Moonblast | Hidden Power [Fire] | Nature's Madness

Tapu Lele is packing a rather odd set of Tapunium Z. While it is indeed sort of an underexplored set and arguably not its best option, this set is pretty pivotal for the team to be able to dent common PsySpam checks, namely Jirachi, Celesteela, and Assault Vest Magearna, all of which drop to Guardian of Alola into Hidden Power [Fire], or in Magearna's case Psyshock after Stealth Rock. Tapu Lele also provides notable support to Mega Alakazam and also wears down most of Hawlucha's checks. Tapu Lele should be used mainly as a breaker, taking down roadblocks to Hawlucha and Mega Alakazam. This set's pretty straight-forward, Hidden Power [Fire] was chosen over Focus Blast because I really don't to miss against Jirachi, Celesteela, and Magearna.

Tapu Lele Guardian of Alola vs. 248 HP Jirachi: 302-302 (74.9 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 108+ SpD Jirachi: 108-128 (26.7 - 31.7%) -- 28.5% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Tapu Lele Guardian of Alola vs. 248 HP Celesteela: 297-297 (74.8 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 112-134 (28.2 - 33.7%) -- 95.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Tapu Lele Guardian of Alola vs. 248 HP Magearna: 272-272 (74.9 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna in Psychic Terrain: 87-103 (23.9 - 28.3%) -- 96.5% chance to 4HKO

Tapu Bulu

Tapu Bulu
@ Assault Vest @
# Grassy Surge #
HP: 248 EVs | Atk: 80 EVs | +Def 36 EVs | -SpA | SpD: 76 EVs | Spe: 68 EVs
Horn Leech | Megahorn | Superpower | Nature's Madness

I think we all know how good this Pokémon is, right? Takes on the likes of Ash-Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Lele without any struggle pretty much, and its just such a great pivot. This EV Spread in specific, courtesy of sedertz, allows Tapu Bulu to avoid the 2HKO from Choice Specs Tapu Lele's Psyshock and Psychic while still outrunning 176 Spe EVs Tyranitar. Megahorn on Assault Vest Tapu Bulu is an idea I got from Anish that I decided to add here too as it helps tremendously against the Mega Eon Duo. Tapu Bulu is also nice for supporting Hawlucha's seed, while I could have used Psychic Seed, Tapu Bulu is a more reliable terrain setter, allowing me to play Tapu Lele a bit more recklessly. In general, this Pokémon also forms an excellent defensive core with Heatran and Zapdos.

80 Atk Tapu Bulu Megahorn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios-Mega: 230-272 (76.4 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
80 Atk Tapu Bulu Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias-Mega: 196-232 (53.8 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 76 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 142-168 (41.3 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 36+ Def Tapu Bulu: 153-181 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Heatran

Heatran
@ Leftovers @
# Flash Fire #
HP: 252 EVs | -Atk | SpD: 4 EVs | +Spe: 252 EVs
Magma Storm | Earth Power | Taunt | Stealth Rock

Arguably USM OU's second-best Pokémon (#HeatranForS-Rank), Heatran provides so much for pretty much Here, Heatran's goal, though, is mostly to act as a check to miscellaneous Fire-types, be a secondary switch-in to Tapu Lele, and provide Stealth Rock and some extra Stallbreaking, I considered a more offensive route with Firium or Grassium Z, but I really don't think stealing Tapu Lele's Z-move is a great idea, as I really need Lele to act as almost kind of a lure to Steel-types enabling Mega Alakazam to do its thing. By the way, Heatran also really benefits from Grassy Terrain, giving it not only recovery but a slight bonus weakening Earthquake. Finally, Heatran forms a great defensive core with Tapu Bulu and Zapdos and pressures Steel-types for Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam.

Hawlucha

Hawlucha
@ Grassy Seed @
# Unburden #
HP: 96 EVs | +Atk: 252 EVs | SpD: 36 EVs | Spe: 124 EVs
High Jump Kick | Acrobatics | Swords Dance | Roost

Now, Hawlucha is really good, I think it's probably the Pokémon I've used the most on USM OU. This EV spread, crafted by my very own self, enables it to tank a Moonblast from Clefable, Outspeed Excadrill, and avoid the 2HKO from defensive Landorus-T's Earthquake after Roost. I think Hawlucha's pretty straight-forward, should be used as a win condition or a revenge killer for set up sweepers. For those unaware, friendly reminder it sets up on Landorus-T for free. Now, a delicate topic, when to use Hawlucha and when to use Mega Alakazam as a win condition? Well, generally both can be threats to weakened teams, but Hawlucha prefers offense and Alakazam balance, in general, don't be scared to use Hawlucha to stop the likes of Volcarona and Magearna, as they will sweep otherwise.

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. +1 96 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 127-150 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 96 HP / 36 SpD Hawlucha: 270-320 (84.1 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Alakazam

Mega Alakazam
@ Alakazite @
# Magic Guard #
-Atk | SpA: 252 EVs| SpD: 4 EVs | +Spe: 252 EVs
Psychic | Focus Blast | Shadow Ball | Recover

Mega Alakazam is the obvious Psychic Terrain exploiter, it acts as a solid breaker or win-condition depending on the opposing team, against CelePex and LandoGear balance and bulky offense respectively, it can be used as an outstanding breaker as its shreds through such archetypes' defensive backbone. It can also be a deadly force against offense, especially if it manages to Trace an offensive ability like Mega Swampert's Swift Swim, Kartana's Beast Boost, Greninja's Protean, or Magearna's Soul Heart. Recover is important on the last slot for better dealing with Heatran. In general, Terrain management is also important when playing with the spoon master, as it can truly be deadly under Psychic Terrain, yet pivoting it in correctly is a bit of a struggle.

Zapdos

Zapdos
@ Leftovers @
# Pressure #
HP: 248 EVs | -Atk | Def: 8 EVs | +Spe: 252 EVs
Discharge | Heat Wave | Roost | Defog

Zapdos is an outstanding physical wall and here it allows my team to comfortably take on Kartana, opposing Hawlucha, Mega Pinsir, and Landorus-T. Its also a pretty good Defogger, as it can remove Spikes and Toxic Spikes by forcing common setters, such as Ferrothorn and Toxapex, respectively, out. As for the set, Timid over Bold Zapdos a chance to outrun notable threats whereas Heat Wave gives a better matchup against Mamoswine. In general, Zapdos forms a great defensive core with Tapu Bulu but when using it on this team I'd advise you to avoid letting it get worn down by Stealth Rock too much, as otherwise Kartana and Mega Pinsir become increasingly difficult to take on, whereas faster Hawluchas can get a clean sweep.

Conclusion
so this is
the team, hope
you all liked it!
I also have some
bonus content in
this post though,
so keep scrolling!

Shoutouts

Colonel M - hey bro, ty for all the work with C&C, you're really one of the nicest and most dedicated ppl on site, keep it up.
Leo - inhale my dick bro, you're the best.
GMars - you have literally the best mixtapes I've ever heard, next-level music.
Gary - Ga(r)y
sedertz - bro, I'm always surprised at your metagame knowledge, probably came up with like 10 viable EV spreads only for OU lol, keep up the contributions!
Indigo Plateau - if only you liked Magnezone more than Blacephalon, otherwise you're probably one of the best contributors to OU forums, great work with Iron Chef.
Team Pokepals - really chill and nice person, you're great re-addition to ou forum mods :)
Finchinator - you're a really responsible and dedicated user bro, great work on the site :)
Wob - take me to Aussieland, and keep up all the good work on smogon, btw you're one of the coolest users on this site too!
Martin - despite the fact that you use zed over zee, your a really nice guy, I really appreciate your presence on smogon :)
Nuked - great job on analysis fren, you're a really nice guy too!
GenOne - you're a really nice dude, thanks for welcoming me DOU so nicely and for the qcs.
Level 51 - you're a really nice guy too, ty for the inspiration for the puzzle and for the qcs.
talkingtree - best dou tfp qcer ez, also a really nice guy :)
Frania - I don't know you as much in all honesty, but I'll just like to thank you for hosting the DOU building frameworks, that helped me so much to learn DOU!
yogi - ty for all the tutoring and help for me to get into PU, really appreciate it :)
allstarapology - big fan
HJAD - *slides beside hjad and nuzzles*
The Dutch Plumberjack - ty for all the work leading tfp, you're no doubts one of the nicest and most dedicated people on site.
Quite Quiet - really good job leading tfp td'ing, you're absolutely one of the most dedicated and nicest people on site.
marthaa - best baadge speedrunner on smogon, keep up the solid moderaating to tfp too!
lotiasite - sorry for forgetting to tag you in the first place, you're a wonderful GPer and writer :)
A - go back to writing articles, also please make your name taggable ;-;
Luna - legal cara parabens ai na boa esse shoutout é do fundo do meu coração eu falei tb pra toda minha familia essa sua liderança das traduções ai eles mandaram parabens e ligaram tambem pros amigos e primos e tal e eles mandaram uns abraços pra voce e pediram seu telefone e endereço pra mandar telegramas de shoutouts e presentes porque voce é uma exímia colecionadora de livros né, aí espalharam umas faixas de shoutout pela cidade
Mitsuki - valeu por todas as traduções e html, puta pessoa simpática e agressiva
perry GustavoYAY Ropalme1914 HappydaTropa - valeu pelas traduções e gps, todos vcs tbm são ótimas pessoas.
TMan87 - Bonjour, comment ça va? That's all I know in French sorry.
Naziel - cambia tu nombre para ziel por favor, porque el mejor nombre (lyd) ya está tomado
Gross Sweep - love your rates and qcs on tfp, keep up the solid work!
Anish - love your rates and qcs on tfp, keep up the solid work!
IronBullet - ty for all the dedication on leading RMT forums, you're a really nice person as well :)
Ludicrousity - great job with all the work modding pet mods, you're one of the coolest people on this site!
G-Luke - ty for all the work you put on Pet Mods as well bro :)
charizard8888 - ty for being so nice and coding pretty much all pet mods in like 3 months :)
leonard (from big bang theory) - ty for all the help with ep btw!
DawnManeDuskWings - Blacephalon for PU, Toxapex for Ubers
DurzaOffTopic - You know a scale better than Phrygian? Lydian :3

Puzzle

I got inspired by a puzzle Level 51 did on one of his DPL team and I decided to something similar. I don't really have any prize to offer I guess, but whoever DMs or PMs me on Discord or Smogon respectively with the awnsers to all each Pokémon and the awnser to the whole puzzle will gain a half-an-hour long portuguese class, I'm sorry but that's all I can offer.

Tapu Lele

After digging up some ancient artifacts in the ruins of life, you found a stone with a poem referring to Tapu Lele and the other Alolan deities in it. Carved on the rock, was the following:

Key to its strength is its holy shell.
Akala, after all, needs a deity to worship.
Nowhere to be found amidst the ruins of life.
Eyeing the Alolan's Ocean's Swell.

The one deity who reigns supreme amongst them all.
The one deity who wishes sacrifice.
The one deity named after a secret volcano.
The one deity who, when fighting, shall never fall.

Tapu Bulu

Scattered across Tapu Village are ruins of Tapu Bulu's assault. By asking the elderly habitants of the village to describe what relics Tapu Bulu left, you received these clues:

The elder with 1 children and 1 grandchildren told you Tapu Bulu thought her a golden lesson.
The elder with 2 children and 10 grandchildren told his fourth granddaughter, named after an ordinary flower, got harmed by the assault.
The elder with 3 children and 6 grandchildren, fluent in Latin, told you she saw Tapu Bulu wielding a small plant sword.
The elder with 4 children and 12 grandchildren told you he completely forgot about what he had seen.
The elder with 5 children and 20 grandchildren told you that she saw a harmed Rockruff and that the earth-shattering broke her thermometer, both caused by Tapu Bulu.

Heatran

Trying to find answers in Stark Mountain was a step in the right direction. Upon reaching Heatran's chamber, all you find is the Magma Stone. After studying the stone, you came to the conclusion it came from the highest volcano of the Pokémon world, yet it seems to be located in an unknown region very much south of Unova. By analyzing the stone, you also measure its temperature after being removed, thus discovering the answer:

T0: 1148 K
T1: 1138 K
T2: 1127 K
T3: 1119 K
T4: 1098 K
T5: 1095 K
T6: 1073 K
T7: 1059 K
T8: 1055 K
T9: 1032 K
T10: 1024 K
T11: 1012 K
T12: 1002 K
T13: 992 K

Hawlucha

The only way to learn more about Hawlucha is to battle it, by facing six different Hawlucha across Kalos, you received the following gifts from them, which will help you figure out the key to Hawlucha's vividness:

The fastest Hawlucha gave you an apple.
The elder-most Hawlucha gave you an ancient linen.
The strongest Hawlucha gave you the weapon that left him a scar.
The calmest Hawlucha gave you a precious stone that reminds him of the sea.
The grief-most Hawlucha lost one of his friends and gave you a bouquet of flowers.
The curious-most Hawlucha gave you a Ducklett feather.

Mega Alakazam

With its high IQ, Mega Alakazam left a couple of math questions scattered around Kanto for you to solve:

For any angle different than k*π where k is an integer, find the value of the following expression: sin (x) * cos (x) * tan (x) * sec (x) * csc (x) * cot (x)
Being x - y = 1, find the value of z: (x + y) * (x^2 + y^2) * (x^4 + y^4) * (x^8 + y^8) * (x^16 + y^16) * (x^32 + y^32) = (x^z - y^z)
Find the value of x in the following expression: x^x = 823543
Find the value of x in degrees in the following expression: sin of (x) (6^0.5 - 2^0.5)/4
In a school of 600 students, all of which speak English, 250 speak French, 250 speak Italian, and 250 speak Spanish. Knowing no other language aside from the aforementioned and English is spoken, that 110 students speak only English, and that 270 students speak exactly two languages, how many students speak all of the aforementioned languages?
if (10x + y)^2 = ax^2 + bxy + cy^2 and a, b, and c are integers, what is a + b + c?
1.01010101... can also be written as 100/x, what is x?
knowing that i^x=i, what is the second smallest value of x knowing that x is a perfect square.
Being x a real number and f(x) = ((x^2)+1)^(x^2), what is the lowest value possible for f(x)?
A group of people is trying to transport a pole on a truck, yet the pole is exactly 1 meter taller than what it should be to fit in. Knowing that the truck's compartment measures 12x4x3 meters, how tall is the pole?

Zapdos

Watching Zapdos fly by, a thunderstorm occurred, you saw nine bolts of lightning reach a lightning rod nearby, coincidentally it was from a laboratory, and they gladly told you the amperage of each lightning, allowing you to find the answer:

Lightning 1: 8000 A
Lightning 2: 22000 A
Lightning 3: 5000 A
Lightning 4: 23000 A
Lightning 5: 22000 A
Lightning 6: 13000 A
Lightning 7: 11000 A
Lightning 8: 20000 A
Lightning 9: 18000 A

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)