ORAS PU Lala & Lili

My name is Terrakion. I've been playing PU for a decent amount of time, and a last I finally decided to do an RMT on one of my teams for it for my birthday coming up! I have other previous RMTs in OU but who cares for those, onto the team.

Teambuilding Process
As I was beginning to build, Quilladin has been coming really popular and making its place in the current meta being able to handle a lot of top tier threats such as Golem while maintaining a strong offensive presence whether it would be with Spikes or its strong STAB move. I decided to use Quilladin and then pair it up with Electabuzz as it had pretty decent bulk to complement Quilladin's, and they covered each other's weaknesses pretty well. Electabuzz checked flying types which forces Quilladin out and Quilladin can come in on a lot of Ground types multiple times which Electabuzz wouldn't be able to hurt as much. Next I went with Stunfisk as it is one of the best defensive Stealth Rockers in the tier being able to check a plethora of physical attackers like Monferno, Ninjask, Mawile etc. To complement Stunfisk, I added Dusknoir to spin block. Dusknoir is my main source of priority as Sucker Punch can sometimes be unreliable. Dusknoir is a nice addition as it allows me to use it to soak up a lot of hits while still being able to have a strong output of damage with its good attack stat and coverage. Next Mawile had just been dropped from NU. Mawile is an incredibly strong wallbreaker being my main check to bulky Ice type Pokemon like Regice, Lapras, and Avalugg. Lastyly, I added Cryogonal which is easily the best rapid spinner in PU. Being a solid Rotom-F switch in while handling bulky waters, and grass type Pokemon.

In Depth

Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes - Taunt - Wood Hammer - Zen Headbutt

With Quilladin being a strong offensive Spiker in the tier being able to beat Roselia, and Golem and preventing them from setting up their own respective hazards. Quilladin puts a lot of pressure onto teams with its strong STAB in Wood Hammer or its ability to set up hazards with ease. I decided to run Zen Headbutt over Drain Punch for its ability to dent Roselia or Monferno switch ins as I have the freedom to run other fighting moves such as Focus Blast on Electabuzz and Hidden Power Fighting on Cryogonal.

Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast - Thunderbolt - Volt Switch - Hidden Power Ice

Electabuzz has the best of both worlds being a somewhat bulky Pokemon while being able to maintain a strong offensive presence throughout the entire game with its wide coverage, or good base speed. It can gain momentum for the rest of the team giving me a free switch to apply pressure elsewhere if I can predict a switch. For example, a lot of plays where people look to switch Machoke in onto it to soak up hits and hit me hard, but first turn Volt Switch can give me a free switch into Mawile to OHKO it. Focus Blast hits Golem and Probopass and Hidden Power Ice hits bulky grass types like Tangela, Gourgeist-Super, and other strong Pokemon such as Gabite.

Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock - Earth Power - Discharge - Toxic

Possessing high defensive stats and utility based moves such as Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Discharge being a nice answer to stuff like Monferno, and Pawniard. Toxic allows me to nail Gorugeist which is a common switch in as it resist both STABs. This really helps the team as this prevents it from staying in for so long then to come in another time to take even more chip damage from Stealth Rock when it reenters.

Ability: Frisk

EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak - Ice Punch - Earthquake - Will-o-Wisp

Dusknoir is my only source of priority bar Sucker Punch Mawile. Dusknoir's ability to spinblock, take hits very well and be able to dish out a good amount of damage consistently was too good to give up. Dusknoir allows the team to handle a lot of Electric type Pokemon as he takes their hits pretty easily then OHKOing back with an Earthquake. Colbur Berry allows Dusknoir to get a Will-o-Wisp off after taking a Knock Off from something like Dodrio, or Pawniard. Dusknoir can also scout for items with its ability Frisk.

Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Sucker Punch - Play Rough - Iron Head - Fire Blast

Mawile has become a premier offensive and defensive Pokemon since it dropped from NU this much. I needed a Pokemon that had the ability to dish out a ton of damage and be able to handle Ice types somewhat as I lacked a switch in. Sheer Force Life Orb Mawile hits incredibly hard and gets priority with Sucker Punch. Fire Blast allows Mawile to hit Gourgeist, Tangela, and Leafeon for tons of damage. With max speed EVs, Mawile can outspeed Pokemon like Golem as people may think Mawile would invest in bulk rather than speed.

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 44 Def / 212 SAtk / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze Dry - Rapid Spin - Hidden Power Fighting - Recover

Cryogonal gives me a reliable switch into Pokemon like Rotom-F while being able to put pressure on common defoggers such as Lumineon, Swanna, and Prinplup. Cryogonal also Rapid Spin really well as it gets pretty good coverage. The EVS allow Cryogonal to live one Sucker Punch from Pawniard and then still be able to retaliate back with Hidden Power Fighting to OHKO. Cryogonal can use recover to increase its longetivity to be able to get more needed rapid spins later in the game.

Threatlist

Bulky Ice types: As much as I tried to cover their weakness, their coverage is way too good. Its really hard for this team to break through them but can be played around sometimes as they lack reliable recovery. Mawile cannot always take a hit as Regice's LO Ice Beam already does a ton of damage and Lapras' Surf would just OHKO.

Gourgeist: This can be handled pretty easily sometimes but can somewhat be difficult if I can't get Stunfisk to slap a Toxic on it. It's incredibly bulky and can put out a good amount of damage itself.

Swanna: As Defensive Swanna is becoming the more common set, Offensive Swanna is really annoying as I lack a real switch in. Electabuzz doesn't appreicate LO Scalds while adding in a burn chance for residual damage, Stunfisk, Mawile, and Quilladin all gets bopped by its STABs and Cryogonal and Dusknoir doesn't appreciate burns.

Simisear: What team doesn't Simisear sweep nowadays?

Misdreavus: I find Missy to be extremely annoying. It's bulky, can put out a good amount of damage, can heal itself and Will-o-Wisp the Pokemon I would look to to do the most damage to it such as Mawile or Dusknoir.

Lala (Electabuzz) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lili (Quilladin) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Wood Hammer
- Taunt
- Spikes

Winter (Cryogonal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 44 Def / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Set (Dusknoir) (M) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Sneak
- Ice Punch
- Will-O-Wisp

Mini (Mawile) (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Derp (Stunfisk) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

I'll wrap up this RMT with shoutouts!

Last edited:
Hey Terrakion, cool team you've got here. Noticed nobody rated this so I thought I'd help you out. Also happy early / late bday! :D
  • Right away I notice a big Regice weakness here, as it can 2HKO or OHKO your entire team, and you have nothing to outspeed it at +2. It also comes in easily on Cryogonal and Stunfisk, giving it free setup opportunity or a chance to fire off an Ice Beam or Focus Blast and directly threaten your team. To remedy this, I'm going to suggest you change Dusknoir --> Grumpig. At this point Dusknoir is doing very little for you outside of providing some priority and spinblocking, however I don't consider Rapid Spin relevant enough to be accounted for on a team like this. Grumpig also gives you a Pokemon that can switch into bulky RestTalk Machoke, which you don't have at this point, considering Dusknoir loses 1v1, making your only legitimate way of dealing with Machoke offensively pressuring it with Mawile. This also helps you a bit with Lapras as well as Rotom-F, which an be annoying as well.
Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave / Shadow Ball
- Taunt

• Something else I notice about your team is a lack of Speed control. Your fastest Pokemon is base 105 and you had only two forms of priority (now one). You mention a weakness to Simisear, and I think changing Cryogonal --> Scarf Simipour would be a solid way to compensate for this lack of Speed. You honestly don't need hazard control on this team in my personal opinon, as you have nothing weak to Stealth Rock (with this change) and you even have Taunt Quilladin, which can prevent basically any hazard user from setting up.
Simipour @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Superpower

• Lastly, as you have no win condition, I'm going to suggest you change Mixed Wallbreaker Mawile --> Swords Dance Mawile. This is a real minor change, but something that will help you big time in the long run, as you'll have trouble breaking a lot of teams without a win condition, and luring Gourgeist-XL isn't really benefitting anything else on your team.
Mawile @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)