LAMT: Ubers

You read correctly, this is for ubers.

Giratina @ Leftovers
- Pressure
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Shadow Ball
~ Calm Mind
~ Roar

EVs are being toiled away upon. I need a bit of defense here because this will be what I use to absorb Heracross. I'm wondering if Arceus would work better here. Roar because I didn't see a real compelling reason to add Dragon Pulse. Will-O-Wisp because it's cool and for no reason of any strategic value. I don't like Lugia right now because of Stealth Rock weak and neutral to Megahorn, which collectively creates a crappy Heracross counter but the thought has occurred to me that Giratina doesn't scare Hera too badly either. So I'm leaning a bit heavily towards Ghost Arceus with a mix like Recover, Judgement Pebble, Will-O-Wisp, Calm Mind or something.

Metagross @ Choice Band
- Clear Body
~ Pursuit
~ Explosion
~ Meteor Mash
~ Earthquake

Adamant; 252 Atk / 120 HP / 136 Def

Hits things and, hopefully, beats the Lati@s duo. Unless they do something weird like Hidden Power Fire. Earthquake for other Metagross.

Latias @ Soul Dew
- Levitate
~ Thunder
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Calm Mind
~ Recover

EVs to be decided on this one, I need enough special defense to beat Kyogre 1-on-1, basically. Kyogre counter and it also helps alleviate versus Groudon and it even sweeps and can take a hit from Palkia and OHKO back with Dragon Pulse. Is there anything Latias can't do? Unfortunately, yes, there is. It can't 2HKO Lugia.

Kyogre @ Leftovers
- Drizzle
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

Bold; 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd

I'm not really interested in AGKyogre right now... since I kind of feel that Palkia basically is AGKyogre only with a lot more move diversity and the same fire power only with a guaranteed 2HKO on Blissey thanks to Waterfall + Pearl Orb and a touch more speed. Besides which, I need this bulky so shenanigans involving weather tricks and drought don't impede Palkia's rampage.

Palkia @ Pearl Orb
- Pressure
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Surf
~ Meteoric Swarm
~ Aqua Tail

Hasty; 252 SAtk / 224 Spd / 32 Atk

If you can find something that can safely switch into this under a Stealth Rock and not explode either on the turn of the switch or the turn after and I'll give you a cookie. Pretty much the team's centerpiece, thesis, whatever you decide to name it. During Drizzle it 2HKOs Lugia with Surf (assuming Lugia has max sdef and max hp with a boosting nature although it's only an ohko with two consecutive average hits). 320 speed outruns Modest Latios and Modest here doesn't guarantee me much other than a guaranteed 2HKO on Lugia. But, seeing how there aren't any rapid spinners that I can't setup on, I plan to have Stealth Rock for a while.

Also, something I forgot to add, Dragon Pulse with Pearl Orb makes Ice Beam redundant. Let me repeat that. Don't suggest Ice Beam. I'm lazy so I'm just going to pull a Jumpman and throw numbers at you to make Ice Beam go away:

Dragon Pulse = 90 * 1.5 (stab) * 1.25 (orb)
Dragon Pulse = 168.25

Ice Beam = 95 * 2 (se)
Ice Beam = 190

Seeing how I'd be using Dragon Pulse for other dragons primarily I don't see the need for Ice Beam; when I hit the stuff I'm trying to hit with Dragon Pulse I get 337.5 base power to play with, which is miles above Ice Beams and the only exception to this is when it's Rayquaza, who dies anyways. Thus Dragon Pulse is better. Also I realize that Space Break has a CH rate but, honestly, I cannot think of a scenario where I would like 10 more power for lessened accuracy and - more relevantly - less PP. So much more has Pressure it's ridiculous so by sacrificing my 10 power, which I should remind you doesn't affect my ability to 2HKO or OHKO everything during drizzle, I effectively lose about 2-3 attacks with my non-hit/run dragon move. Thus, for this particular Palkia, I don't see the point.

Waterfall because I 2HKO max defense, max hp Blissey with it during Drizzle. Also, provided I hit it on the switch with Surf or Meteoric Swarm, I can follow up and kill it with Waterfall on the following turn. So that limits Blissey's safe switch-ins to Dragon Pulse, really. Meteoric Swarm is filler btw. It OHKOs a bunch of stuff and hits like 54% min on max sdef/max hp Kyogre so I stuck it in arbitrarily but I'm kind of reconsidering it... although I haven't seen a better option present itself. Why can't Palkia learn Calm Mind? :(

Blissey @ Leftovers
- Natural Cure
~ Light Screen
~ Stealth Rock
~ Wish
~ Seismic Toss

EVs I don't know on this one since I don't have a clue whether Blissey will be forced to toss a shitload of special defense to wall threats. But more or less it's Blissey. Because there's no sponge like Blissey. It sets up the Stealth Rock that lets Palkia kill everything. Light Screen because I realized Latios could come in and surprise buttsecks everything here so I decided ppassing Light Screen to Meta was my best chance. Wish because I have CBgross, Giratina, Palkia and figured that with all that wish support was probably a good idea.

Threat list:

Groudon: Latias, Kyogre - and on that note, asides from Blissey it's going to have a bitch of a time getting in, especially CB versions.

Latios: Metagross - don't have a great answer for this one, I know.

Latias: Metagross - slightly better answer if only because Latias isn't as good as hitting things.

Lugia: No real answer for this one at the moment. Metagross kind of. But Reflect versions kind of lol at that. Kyogre can stall with it, maybe.

Rayquaza: Kyogre, Latias, Blissey - Kyogre beats the physical versions, Latias and Blissey work together to beat special ones. Metagross sponges random CB Outrages and MMs back for the kill.

Palkia: Nothing truly counters Palkia but Latias can scare it off unless it gets caught in the Meteoric Swarm (in which case Latias is more or less, well, dead).

Dialga: Kyogre, Blissey - Blissey beats special versions whereas Kyogre stops any physical shenanigans with Bulk Up. Metagross too if Dialga lacks Earthquake. Wally, spongy versions meant to take hits are kind of lol because of no dragon resist and the eq weak.

Deoxys-F: No real answer. Metagross after it's killed something unless there's Fire Punch shenanigans. Fire Punch produces complications.

Deoxys-L: No real answer, just that it doesn't do much back to Metagross and my team doesn't really have a Stealth Rock weak.

Ho-oh: The combination of Latias, Stealth Rock and bulky Kyogre should assure Ho-oh's annoyance is small.

Metagross: Kyogre - I'm bulky.

Manaphy: Latias - explains itself. Palkia can come in too on the 4x resistant Surf and start breaking shit.

Celebi: Latias - see Manaphy. Exchange Palkia for Metagross in the second part.

Mew: No real answer because I'd have to know what Mew's set is. I'm guessing Kyogre can absorb sleep from stuff with Hypnosis and Metagross can probably threaten him; Latias and Giratina can probably keep him out of my hair too by just scaring him out but I'm not sure how reliable that is nor for what sets that applies so yeah.

Mewtwo: No real answer. Kyogre beats physical versions, Latias can go toe-to-toe with non-Taunt specials and the Taunt versions are beaten by Metagross. Adherence Glasses can be beaten by Blissey unless I get Focus Bombed. But really there isn't a counter for every Mewtwo version in one pokemon unless someone cracks the game completely.

Arceus: I would have to know its set. I have a suspicion that if there's something I've overlooked it's some version of this thing that everyone else is salivating over that I haven't thought of. I'd hope that the fat Kyogre beats or at least forces out physical versions and Latias takes out specials but there's probably something I've missed.

Tyranitar: Metagross and Kyogre.

Heracross: Arceus if he's added, if not Giratina right now.

Darkrai: Blissey + Metagross effectively beats him and I have Kyogre to absorb sleep.

From that list I've come to the conclusion that Lugia and Deoxys-L give me annoyances and I'm way to dependant on Kyogre for taking physical hits, absorbing status and pretty much everything. So I need solutions. I'm also probably going to change Giratina for Ghost Arceus very shortly once I finish running around with numbers. Anyways. The only thing I ask is that you please refrain from altering the core strategy, which isn't actually much of a strategy but just getting a Stealth Rock tossed up during Drizzle so Palkia can surprise buttsecks everything to death with his moves.

I'd use Water spout over Surf as it'll be doing more damage most of the time iirc. It'll also ease your problems with both Deo-L and Lugia as it almost ohkos both of them

Also, i'm not sure but i remember Pearl orb being a 1.2 boost and not 1.5 which would reduce considerably the damage Palkia does. Not like it's not a beast anymore, just something to consider

Also, i'm not sure but i remember Pearl orb being a 1.2 boost and not 1.5 which would reduce considerably the damage Palkia does. Not like it's not a beast anymore, just something to consider
It multiplies by 1.25

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Oh and Palkia can't learn Waterfall (accidentally found this out when I was trying to teach it Waterfall). You must mean Aqua Tail.

Space Break's/Spatial Rend's extra 10 BP actually differentiates it between Dragon Pulse. It would OHKO Latios (well, most of the time) whereas Dragon Pulse would 2HKO. Plus you got Draco Meteors to back up the PP. And also it's the coolest move IMO.

And finally physical Dialga does not get stopped by Kyogre when Kyogre doesn't really hurt Dialga in the first place

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I'd rather have Dragon Pulse over Shadow Ball on Giratina, because it would be rather sorry to have a special attacker that can beat special walls get stopped completely by Blissey.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm curious is to whether Heracross is really a threat in ubers. Given that every uber imaginable outspeeds it (aside from the odd Deoxys-L), it would need Choice Scarf; and good luck switching it in. ;[ Most ubers will gladly switch out of it too; a 404HP/216DF Mewtwo takes a little over 50% from Pursuit if it switches, and then Heracross is either dead or leaving. I don't know, maybe if stuff like Forretress starts appearing in ubers, it could be useful, but given the vast number of ubers, I think Heracross' only future is countering the aforementioned Deoxys-L (it can revenge Deoxys-F too, but Metagross does that too and there are so many better things). In any case, you have neither Pokemon so I don't think you have much to fear from Heracross.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Rayquaza: Kyogre, Latias, Blissey - Kyogre beats the physical versions, Latias and Blissey work together to beat special ones. Metagross sponges random CB Outrages and MMs back for the kill.
Latias and Kyogre dies to DDed (EDIT: +Life Orb) Outrage and Metagross dies to Earthquake. Actually, lol every team has a Rayquaza weak.

Mixed Stallbreaker Darkrai could give you problems, and the odd Swords Dance/Shadow Claw/Recover/Brick Break Ghost Arceus

Okay. From what I hear, I have problems with physical Dialga, DD Outrage, some mixed Darkrais and a physical ghost Arceus.

So, with that in mind, I'm considering Skarmory kind of. It alleviates my dependancy on Kyogre/Blissey to do everything for my walling, resists Dragon (which is important) and can stall with Deoxys-L and Lugia because unless they have Thunderbolt or Ice Beam (and a lot of special attack in the case of the latter) they don't really do much back to Skarm.

So maybe something like

~ Stealth Rock
~ Feather Rest
~ Whirlwind
~ Toxic
@ Leftovers

Not particularly esoteric but it's more for practicality than anything else. Stealth Rock is being added here so Blissey can use something that helps it a bit more, possibly Toxic so it can stall with duders like Lugia too. With max defense, max HP and Impish it takes about 30-36% from a DDquaza Outrage, which can easily be healed off with Feather Rest. Obviously problems arise when Quaza starts hurling Thunder in its general direction but nothing's perfect.

On the other hand, it beats the physical ghost Arceus.

I dunno. I'm starting to think that I'm worrying too much about countering everything rather than just trying to setup my win condition. But I don't like being defensively lax either. =/

Whatever. If Pearl Orb is only a x1.25 boost I'm strongly reconsidering the team altogether because the OHKO count is drastically lower than I thought... the reason I initially built this team was because I was operating under the assumption that Palkia with SR and Drizzle had a higher OHKO and 2HKO count than anything else barring something hideously frail and prone to revenge kills like Deoxys-F. So I might just say "lol gimmick" to this team altogether.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)