Social Language Exchange

Annika

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Some great advice :blobthumbsup: I’m happy to report back I’ve decided to take the leap and start learning Swedish. Putting aside the notions of “practicality” allowed me to see what language I really want to learn, so thank you, Lionyx. Not sure how dedicated I can be right now, but it feels good to have officially started a third language. Thanks guys.
Lycka till :)

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I got a $10 set of Russian keycaps from Aliexpress as step 0 in my random goal towards learning Russian. Why am I doing this? Maybe I've watched too much Bald and Bankrupt. It would be fun to visit my small handful of Russian online friends; they're scattered all about, from Moscow to Vladivostok with even one in Krasnoyar oblast in between, and the trans-Siberian rail would be quite an experience. My sister is learning it as well, so that will be enjoyable. On the remote chance that there are any smogonites in a similar boat, or people who actually speak Russian, I'm interested in seeing what you would suggest for getting started (the conversation exchange website in the OP appears to be down for maintenance).

Exeggutor

twist
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hi all, I'm really keen to get speaking and chatting in French with anyone if I can :)

Also keen if anyone has example beginner Chinese resources! I'm working with gameified tutorials at the moment but looking at textbooks and italki for the future.

Kaiju Bunny

♥・゚: * ̄(♡ㅅ♡❀) ̄
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Art Leader
The Cave of Linguists Discord (to which Annika kindly invited me): Perhaps the widest place that I know that is specifically dedicated to language exchange, there are channels for nearly every language that you can think of, as well as events hosted by the channel leaders to help you practice. The language channels are usually not cluttered (but, on the other hand, you might not get an answer immediately, especially for some of the lesser spoken languages), but I've found them to be quite useful, and it doesn't matter if you want to get help for a specific homework or something that you don't understand, or if you simply want to casually talk for language practice: both are allowed and encouraged.
Good morning! Hope I'm not butting in at all, but it seems this server's link is invalid :psycry: Is it possible to get another link perhaps?

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hey all, long time no see!

Just decided to revive this thread since I have now completed Duolingo's Swedish course, which took quite the time as I resumed using the app daily 280 days ago, but was quite rewarding nonetheless, as it allowed me to learn a ton of new vocabulary on various topics, some of which I'll probably forget about due to being synonyms or belonging to rather niche topics, but still, I feel like I stepped up in the language, and that feeling is confirmed as I chat with swedish speakers online while being understood & understanding them.
The app is clearly not enough on its own to teach the language, but I had the grammar rules from swedish language classes that I took at university years ago, so it wasn't too hard to figure out the new things, and, alongside regular practice (with friends, movies, songs, books), it can make wonders so I recommend it. The funny thing about this is that it also helped me improve my english to some extent, as I had translate from Swedish to English and vice-versa (given that the Swedish course doesn't exist in my native tongue), which introduced me to new words such as "comb" for example, which isn't really the kind of word you'd learn in an English language course here in France.

What about you all, any recent progress you've made, or any plans you have related to languages in the future? It may be hard to find people in real life to practice with given the current situation, but I feel like the obligation of staying at home can also be welcomed as an opportunity to read more and therefore learn more, so I'll aim at completing Duolingo's Italian tree as I'm taking an Italian course at university, while trying to find time to practice other languages too!

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A couple years ago I took up the Danish duolingo course and got decently far in it. My intent for a long time has been to visit Greenland and I'm saving up for a visit. However, I sank into a deep depression around the time and just lost interest in my travel plans and Danish / Greenlandic culture in general. There's another thread for this so I'll get off this tangent. Anyway, it's 2021 and I am learning West Greenlandic, or Kalaallisut (literally, "of the greenlanders"), which is spoken by a vast majority of the country. It is a daughter of eskimo languages (a purely linguistic term, it's generally seen as a pejorative outside of that context), and is the most commonly spoken language from that family. It's a polysynthetic language, so words are made up on the fly. Thus, it's not really suitable for a duolingo course in the traditional sense, but there are some good courses available on Memrise. I'm using the Memrise course mainly to understand sentence structure and get a feel for pronunciation, but am doing deep dives into textbooks and eskimo dictionaries to understand word synthesis. I'd like to explain a bit, but I'm still a beginner so let the Dunning-Kreuger flow.

Words construction in Kalaallisut is best taught at the morpheme level using phonetic symbols with mostly straightforward joining rules, and are then converted to a modern orthography that, thank the lord, is a subset of the alphabet I've been using my whole life. No special symbols, diacritics, accents... all letters I learned in kindergarten. I'll explain the process a bit with some examples!

"I write"
this is constructed from the first person instrumental singular {vuŋa} and verb "to write", {aglak}.
{aglak}{vuŋa} is joined by appending the two words together to get the phonemic form /aglakvuŋa/. A general rule for consonant clusters is that at the phonemic level, the second consonant gets doubled: /allavvuŋa/. It just so happens that ll and vv are double voiced fricatives, which have their own rules that make these sounds pronounceable by the human mouth. Don't know what a fricative is? Me neither, at least not completely. Anyway, double l becomes unvoiced double ɬ (imagine holding a llllll sound then turning off your vocal chords and letting air flow between your tongue and teeth). Double v also becomes the unvoiced pp sound, or more rarely, ff. Thus, you're at the phonetic level, [aɬɬappuŋa]. Converting to the modern orthography yields ɬɬ = ll, pp = pp, and ŋ = ng. Hence, I write = "allappunga." As you can see, "aglak" is long gone, with the g turning into an l and the k turning into a p. Duolingo isn't designed to teach languages like that, and even the few greenlandic to Danish dictionaries out there don't give you any hint on how words are formed besides memorizing finished words. Good luck learning a language that way!

"I eat"
{niri}{vuŋa} -> /nirivuŋa/ -> [nerivuŋa] .... wait why did i become e? because i before r or q becomes e, that's why :psywoke: So in the end, you get "nerivunga." This time the v is conserved and you don't get the double p at all. So you might think "niri ends in a vowel so that's why you have vunga instead of ppunga" and that's pretty much right, but that's only for the first person singular case. One more.

"They eat"
{niri}{(v)vut} ... the parentheses generally means that if there is a preceding consonant (like imeq instead of niri), use that consonant instead. However niri ends in a vowel so the phoneme is /nirivvut/. Double vv goes to pp, and ir goes to er, so you end up with "neripput." Despite niri ending in a vowel, the double p is back.

And these are relatively simple examples. Most words are at least 3 morphemes long, so when you do all the joining and spelling rules, you end up with words that are at least 10 letters long. For example, the word for "computer" is "qarasaasiaq" which roughly translates to "artificial brain used as a tool." I mean... yeah that's pretty much what a computer is, so why the heck not?

As complicated as this sounds, it is becoming second nature to me after about six weeks of self study. The real challenge for me now is understanding why morphemes are ordered in the way that they are. Luckily, there is a really cool community of Inuk/Yupik/Kalaallisut speakers on Discord including the author of the book I'm learning from, who frequently puts up with my annoying questions. Anyway, Kalaallisut is a really beautiful language to listen to rather than read my amateurish explanation of it. The most famous Greenlandic band is Small Time Giants, and this is a Christmas song they wrote a couple years back with the choruses sung in Kalaallisut:

Enjoy, and I hope you learned something new, because I sure have been!

Last edited:

BreadLoeuf

[bɹɛd.lœf]
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Uh, so. I'm a native American Sign Language speaker, even though that language isn't in demand, it's what I'm actually good at. v.v

Besides that, I'm just a very retentive English speaker. I would also love French and Dutch speakers to converse with. :)

Generally, too. I just love linguistics, semantics, and phonetics. I'd really love to just have a geek-out session over it.

你好呀 everyone i am a fluent native french and cantonese speaker but i can write and speak in mandarin (hence why i wrote the word in mandarin) vietnamese and english , feel free to ask me questions if you need translations and shit

I must say, all things considered, this site and Shoddy Battle greatly helped me in learning English at the tender age of 13, with moves being written in english, even in my native language's Forums, the requirement of not typing one liners in messages, the insults during tournaments/ladder, and the impossibly long requirements for rating/posting a team helped me immensely, Pokémon and english manga scans helped me learn English much better than school, and I'm here, sitting, wondering "huh?"
I also knew and spoke French in the past, but forgot everything due to, well, lack of usage, but I'll be sure to check that place whenever I have some free time to re-learn it.
T-thanks, Smogon.

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
If you want to practise Spanish, you can chat with me whenever you want! I am a native speaker and I love helping people with the language. And about the Spanish PS room, it sometimes is full of shitpost, but you can practise there if you find the moment.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
idk how i've never posted on this thread but i've been interested in languages for quite a while now. i spend a large chunk of my time just researching and learning languages for my own enjoyment and if you've talked to me for a while you've probably heard me discuss in detail some random language, or about the etymology of some word, or just started going off on a tangent about something else related to linguistics. i learned french in high school for 6 years, which i definitely enjoyed, but after school was over was when i started gaining a much more potent interest. i took both spanish and german classes at uni in between my other classes just for fun and learned a multitude of others to varying degrees through self-study (e.g. dutch, italian, danish/norwegian). i'm currently starting czech, which should be a fun ride given i haven't spent significant time on any slavic languages before. i'm always happy to talk about languages, so if you wanna just like nerd out about whatever language you speak or know a lot about in my dms, that'd be super cool.

while i'm here, a resource that i've been given in the past, albeit one i haven't sunk too much time into while using, is https://www.fsi-language-courses.org . they have available the full language courses from the foreign service institute (the us government creates these courses to supply to diplomats, but they're a little old now and are in the public domain.) for free. there are hours and hours of online language books and tapes for each language just available for literally anyone. one important thing to note that every individual language course is free, but if you want to download all 70 of them at once it's at a cost, (not that anyone would logically do that).

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Native Arabic speaker :)

I took a french course in uni, got the basics down, and really wanted to continue learning so I become at least semi-fluent in it, but never found the motivation after passing the course (with flying colours!). I really hope to speak 3 languages fluently someday, I think that’s so cool :(

Native English Speaker. Took a year of Japanese at University and I study Vocab inconsistently on my phone (around 10 - 20 words a day. Sometimes I'll use some language exchange apps to talk to the occasional Japanese person, but I don't think I've really benefited from using these apps too much since I use them inconsistently.

Personally find reading and listening to Japanese to be a bit of a 50/50. Sometimes, I understand perfectly what's being said. Other times, not so much. It does feel a bit easier to learn vocab when I recite the sentences in an over-dramatic way though haha.

Not really interesting in learning other languages apart from Japanese atm (espicially since my Japanese isn't too good), but I'm also not opposed to it either. Other languages like Korean and Mandarin seem like they'll be interesting to learn.

I’m studying Japanese as a major at the moment. In high school I took it for one year and self studied inconsistently for two years. The learning process is a struggle. I’m really bad at learning grammar and speaking. It takes months for anything to stick. I can barely make complete sentences, much less hold a conversation. As a result I struggle in every class I’m in. I definitely have the persistence, but I’m still figuring things out.

Hello, I'm Brazilian. That means my mother language is Portuguese.
I also able to speak English, Spanish, French, German, Chinese and I start to learn Japanese.

About Japanese, I start to learn that to play Pokémon Green, and it's very fun to play Pokémon in the original language.
English is the most popular language, so I learn it when I was a child.
Spanish is very similar to Portuguese, so it is easy to learn. I also worked for while in México.
German, I lived in Germany for two years so I learn the language.
Chinese I learned in the Confucius Institute for 3 years and I used to work in a Chinese company buying stuffs.
And French is the languge I am the weaker, I start some courses but not that long, but I do French duolingo a lot.

Hei, I'm a native German but grew up speaking Romanian (but I'm not using it very much so I'm not really fluent anymore).
I'm fairly fluent in English and had French in school but didn't really like it. Right now I'm learning Norwegian because I want to get my masters degree there.

What language apps do you guys like using the most for German? I am highly considering doing a semester abroad in Germany next year and wanna start to learn some before taking a course next semester so what do you suggest? So far, I've only really looked into Duolingo and Babbel. The former is nice since it's free but Duolingo is known to have, for lack of a better word, weird and inaccurate sentences and stuff from time to time and doesn't teach a ton of grammar or speaking while Babbel seemingly handles that stuff a bit better but costs money. If anyone can comment would be greatly appreciated.
The desktop side of Duolingo actually has a bunch of usefull grammar info on every course. Just click on the unit you want to do and then click "tips". There might even be a vocab list.

The desktop side of Duolingo actually has a bunch of usefull grammar info on every course. Just click on the unit you want to do and then click "tips". There might even be a vocab list.
That isn't quite it though. Duolingo often uses hyper-perfect accurate sentences and terms that you would NEVER hear in the actual language. We'd be very confused to hear a lot of these. I'd suggest you manually look for vocal training with stuff like subtitles from an actual speaker of the language

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Took like six total years of German between high school and college (was originally going to major in German before transitioning to a broader Humanities degree); I'm very out of practice but willing to engage in conversations in it if desired xd!

BreadLoeuf

[bɹɛd.lœf]
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
What language apps do you guys like using the most for German? I am highly considering doing a semester abroad in Germany next year and wanna start to learn some before taking a course next semester so what do you suggest? So far, I've only really looked into Duolingo and Babbel. The former is nice since it's free but Duolingo is known to have, for lack of a better word, weird and inaccurate sentences and stuff from time to time and doesn't teach a ton of grammar or speaking while Babbel seemingly handles that stuff a bit better but costs money. If anyone can comment would be greatly appreciated.
The thing to understand about Duolingo is that its weird and unhelpful sentences aren't meant to be useful sentences. Since Duolingo isn't a phrasebook, these sentences serve the purpose of drilling you on constructions and creating new phrases from the get-go, without going through a mountain of texts like textbooks would have you do. In German, they might teach you "ich bin ein Apfel," along with other nouns such as "Mann," "Mädchen," etc. Well, now you know how to say 3 sentences for the price of one (ich bin ein Apfel, ich bin ein Man, ich bin ein Mädchen). These drills take a while, though, and that can be a problem as Duolingo might be the most mind-numbing experience for you if you dislike the medium. Really, the most difficult language you can learn is one that isn't fun for you (applies to language apps and how you learn the language, as well).

That said, Duolingo itself isn't something that works all on its own. Really, it's a supplement. Usually you can pair Duolingo with a textbook or course in school for some extra vocabulary. If it were me, though, I'd just use Anki for that extra vocab and grammar. Some people have trouble with Anki's UI being so sterile. The issue with most language apps nowadays is that the "good" ones all cost money. Duolingo is free, but now paywalls its decent features which were the only features distinguishing it from just a flashcards app with fancier graphics. Every other decent app with innovative features won't allow you to learn more than 5 vocabulary words without saying "oops, that's enough language to you, give me money, now." That's a different rant, but using an app on a subscription service just isn't a good idea unless you want your money drained. A better one-time purchase is a text-book, such as Deutsch Aktuell.

What would you say about the FSI US government language resources that are in the public domain? Do you think these would fit this description as well or are they outdated in terms of vocabulary for nowadays? The lessons are from if I remember right, the 1960's.
I think 1960 is pretty outdated. There have been some changes in spelling since then (especially with ß and ss). I recommend something from Klett.
The course you mentioned is avaliable as a pdf online but it looks kind of awful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)