ORAS NU Late

Late

Team Preview

Introduction
Hello it's been a while since I've last made an rmt, and I've made a team that I'd really enjoy sharing! Balance has always been one of my favorite playstyles and it's definitely a challenge to build balance in the current metagame. I built the team around scyther because besides being a really cool looking Pokemon I believe it has a great presence in the nu metagame. I didn't get many achievements with this team, I just laddered for a bit and went on a good roll with it. This team has some interesting sets I'd like to showcase as well.

Scyther is the reason I made this team. I'm never gonna be replacing Scyther on this team. The reason I wanted to use Scyther is because it fits well on balance and it can check Gallade, probably the biggest threat to balance.

Stunfisk was chosen because I wanted rocks, a regirock switch-in, a fletchinder switch-in, and a Pokemon that could stop volt switching. Overall I felt that Stunfisk was a perfect partner for Scyther.

Cryogonal was added because since I'm using Scyther I absolutely need some sort of hazard control. Cryogonal is also my switch-in to most special attackers, notably Samurott and Ludicolo. It also counters Lanturn which Stunfisk can't really block its volt switch when scald is incoming.

Hariyama provided my team with a great Sneasel check and a much needed fire resist. Hariyama's priority is great too.

Klinklang is just a great Pokemon in this meta. I needed a "lure" for Quagsire so Scyther could sweep. I'll give more details later on in the RMT.

I wanted something that could put holes in unsuspecting steel types early game, so I chose Exeggutor. I also wanted a leech seed absorber for ferroseed. I wanted something that could force rock types out too.

In-depth

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off / U-Turn

Scyther is just a badass, not only is it the coolest looking Pokemon but it is such a neat tool for balanced builds. I find that balance tends to fall apart because Gallade just destroys everything, but Scyther is a reliable switch in because it tanks close combats, psycho cuts, and knock offs and also outspeeds. I chose the bulky SD set because I figured it would let Scyther switch into Gallade a lot more often because of roost. The last moveslot I chose knock off to cripple scyther's switch ins so it can sweep late-game. I originally had enough speed to just outspeed jolly Gallade, but I found myself kind of weak to a lot of base 95's like jynx and haunter. U-Turn is also a solid last move for Scyther because it can check Malamar better and gets extra damage on things like Lanturn which wall Klinklang.

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Stunfisk takes those scary rock types and flying types that Scyther despises. I went for a physically defensive spread to better switch into fletchinder. If you're wondering why I chose Stunfisk over regirock it's because Klinklang is such a big threat to this team. Having the chance to paralyze fast threats helps my team out alot since it's pretty slow, it helps Exeggutor get more attacks off especially. Static is also useful for punishing things that try to u-turn on Exeggutor.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 224 HP / 128 Def / 156 Spe
Bold Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Cryogonal is my means of hazard removal. Hazard removal is something I feel is mandatory when you're using Scyther. Since max hp checks already checks Ludicolo, I decided to use max defense. Max defense is useful so Cryogonal doesn't get blown back when it gets breathed on, it allows Cryogonal to take Aqua Jets from Kabutops better. My ev spread allows me to outspeed jolly Kabutops as well. Knock off is just a always a great move, but you can also run Toxic. Knocking off Magmortar's Life Orb on the switch can help out Hariyama a ton.

Hariyama @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Hariyama is my Sneasel switch in and my fire resist. Without Hariyama this team would get blown back by Pyroar. I put enough attack to 4hko vivillon with fake out and bullet punch. I figured I didn't need max attack since Hariyama's role on the team is to switch into stuff, not necessarily deal damage, and close combat OHKOs Sneasel and Pyroar regardless. I decided on split defenses so I can check Sneasel and Pyroar as mentioned before. I figured leftovers would be better than assault vest so Hariyama doesn't get worn down as fast.

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Shift Gear

Klinklang is an excellent Pokemon in the current meta and nobody really prepares for it. You may be wondering why I have toxic instead of return, and I'll tell you why: Quagsire is a considered a counter to Klinklang, so people just switch it on without thinking twice. The toxic on Quagsire lets Scyther setup on it. Toxic is also useful for opposing Stunfisk, and Klinklang can check barrier Musharna better now. The ev spread allows Klinklang to outspeed Kabutops. I like Klinklang because this team struggled a bit with Ferroseed and Klinklang sets up on it.

Exeggutor @ Choice Specs
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Exeggutor is a monster, nothing switches in freely. I originally had life orb on it but I moved on to specs because the damage difference is very noticeable. You may be thinking, "why would you add another pokemon that gets pursuit trapped by Sneasel?", but when Sneasel has to take rocks damage that helps Scyther late game because it doesn't have to worry about Sneasel as much. A choice locked Sneasel's pursuit means that Klinklang can also freely setup. And we're not even factoring in if Eggy stays in and kills Sneasel when it tries to pursuit.

Conclusion
I'm currently 21-4 on the suspect ladder, 2 of those losses were from my google chrome app crashing since I can only play showdown on my phone for now :( . I didn't win any tourney matches with this team or anything special, this is a fun team that has worked out well for me :D

Threats
Tauros: just hax it. It'll miss or it will get static'd.
Pyroar: even though I have Yama, Specs Hyper Voice still hurts.
Rhydon: double dance is a threat, you have to play aggressively with eggy.
Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 224 HP / 128 Def / 156 Spe
Bold Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Hariyama @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 196 Atk / 144 Def / 144 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Shift Gear

Exeggutor @ Choice Specs
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hey Chef Rice

Nice to see you making an RMT Bro, it shows me in particular that you are still alive and kicking. Anyway, into the team and you mention how Tauros, Pyroar and Dual Dance Rhydon are problems which I completely agree with. The Mon that I see kinda redundant on your team is Cryogonal. Although, its a good rapid spinner that beats all of the spinblockers, its not working out for your team. It essentially gives Sneasel a purpose on the opposing team, despite your counter in Hariyama. The Sneasel will just pursuit your Cryogonal. No hazards control for you. So I think, an overall better Mon to use for your hazards control is Kabutops > Cryogonal. You mentioned those 3 Pokémon being a pain to deal with, but, in theory, Kabutops can deal with all 3.
Kabutops can take an Earthquake from Life Orb Tauros and do loads of damage back with Earthquake. It also resists Rock Climb, so your opponent may be more inclined to click EQ so that you don't get an AJ off. Kabutops can also take on Pyroar, by resisting both of its STABs and capable of hitting back with Super Effective STAB Priority move. Exeggutor is literally your only means of defense vs a DD Rhydon. With Kabutops at least, you have a Mon that basically renders it useless once it gets a quick aqua jet off.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

Cool team Bro, hopefully we get to see more of you around in the future ^.^
yours in mons,
~HJAD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)