SM OU Latias Team looking for suggestions

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Hi all! I’m back again with yet another team.

Another of my experiments, (the others being my Mega Gallade team (here in OU) and my Water Ground Electric team (from Ubers)) I was thinking of experimenting with one of the Eon duo, and I chose Latias because personally, I like a Pokemon that can take hits yet deliver damage. But enough with that! Let’s get to the team.

The star

Latias @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
The Pokemon my team is based around, I found this set on Smogon. I use Latias as an Ice-type, a Water-type, or a late-game sweeper (if it hasn’t died yet; I sometimes use it if my other Pokemon can’t switch-in to another). Ice Beam is for the Ice-type coverage, Sirf for the Water-type, HP Fire for all those annoying Steel-types and Roost for recovery. The only downside of this set is that is does not have a Dragon-type move.

The other members

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
Clefable is the Fairy-type member of a Steel-Dragon-Fairy core with Ferrothorn and Latias, and also helps it to get rid of annoying Dark-types like Ttar. Stealth Rock sets up, while Calm Mind helps Clefable raise its stats so it can get in a nasty Moonblast. Soft-Boiled is for recovery.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Ferrothorn is my Steel-type member of the above mentioned core, along with my entry hazard setter. Leech Seed is nice for regainnng health while lowering the opponent’s, and gives some sort of passive recovery Andy damage. Spikes is another entry hazard, and Power Whip and Gyro Ball are it’s STAB attacks.

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Defog
Tornadus-T helps check switch-ins to Latias such as Ttar and Mew, and takes care of Grass-types that Latias has trouble dealing with. It also makes Ferrothorn and Celesteela easier to deal with, using Knock Off to remove their Leftovers, as well as severely weakening Ferrothorn. Knock Off and Focus Blast has been explained. Hurricane is for dealing with Grass-types, and Defog for clearing entry hazards.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic
Toxapex helps check Magearna and Ash-Greninja, which can deal a lot of damage to Latias. In return, Latias and Tornadus-T checks Toxapex’s Grass and Ground counters such as Tapu Bulu, Kartana and Landorus-T. I also find that I use Toxapex’s Haze to destroy Sword Dancers, Dragon Dancers, any other Pokemon that uses stat boosting moves. Scald is for Water-type STAB, Haze said already, Recover for recovery, and Toxic for putting opponents on a timer and slowly murdering them :).

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
Heatran is here for it’s Stealth Rock support (even though Clefable gives it, but there isn’t anything wrong with two rockers, right?) and also for it’s help in killing Fairy-types that heavily pressure Latias such as Clefable and Mawile-Mega. Magma Storm is for opposing Steel-types, same with Earth Power, except I like killing Fairies with it too. Taunt shuts down Pokemon that depend on status moves for support, and Stealth Rock was said already.

That’s it, thanks for reading, please give helpful suggestions!

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-905923830
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-905927861
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-906013712
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-906548131

Last edited:

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Hi all! I’m back again with yet another team.

Another of my experiments, (the others being my Mega Gallade team (here in OU) and my Water Ground Electric team (from Ubers)) I was thinking of experimenting with one of the Eon duo, and I chose Latias because personally, I like a Pokemon that can take hits yet deliver damage. But enough with that! Let’s get to the team.

The star

View attachment 174558
Latias @ Latiasite
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
The Pokemon my team is based around, I found this set on Smogon. I use Latias as an Ice-type, a Water-type, or a late-game sweeper (if it hasn’t died yet; I sometimes use it if my other Pokemon can’t switch-in to another). Ice Beam is for the Ice-type coverage, Sirf for the Water-type, HP Fire for all those annoying Steel-types and Roost for recovery. The only downside of this set is that is does not have a Dragon-type move.

The other members

View attachment 174435

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
Clefable is the Fairy-type member of a Steel-Dragon-Fairy core with Ferrothorn and Latias, and also helps it to get rid of annoying Dark-types like Ttar. Stealth Rock sets up, while Calm Mind helps Clefable raise its stats so it can get in a nasty Moonblast. Soft-Boiled is for recovery.

View attachment 174436
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Ferrothorn is my Steel-type member of the above mentioned core, along with my entry hazard setter. Leech Seed is nice for regainnng health while lowering the opponent’s, and gives some sort of passive recovery Andy damage. Spikes is another entry hazard, and Power Whip and Gyro Ball are it’s STAB attacks.

View attachment 174437
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Defog
Tornadus-T helps check switch-ins to Latias such as Ttar and Mew, and takes care of Grass-types that Latias has trouble dealing with. It also makes Ferrothorn and Celesteela easier to deal with, using Knock Off to remove their Leftovers, as well as severely weakening Ferrothorn. Knock Off and Focus Blast has been explained. Hurricane is for dealing with Grass-types, and Defog for clearing entry hazards.

View attachment 174438
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic
Toxapex helps check Magearna and Ash-Greninja, which can deal a lot of damage to Latias. In return, Latias and Tornadus-T checks Toxapex’s Grass and Ground counters such as Tapu Bulu, Kartana and Landorus-T. I also find that I use Toxapex’s Haze to destroy Sword Dancers, Dragon Dancers, any other Pokemon that uses stat boosting moves. Scald is for Water-type STAB, Haze said already, Recover for recovery, and Toxic for putting opponents on a timer and slowly murdering them :).

View attachment 174439
Heatran @ Firium Z
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
Heatran is here for it’s Stealth Rock support (even though Clefable gives it, but there isn’t anything wrong with two rockers, right?) and also for it’s help in killing Fairy-types that heavily pressure Latias such as Clefable and Mawile-Mega. Magma Storm is for opposing Steel-types, same with Earth Power, except I like killing Fairies with it too. Taunt shuts down Pokemon that depend on status moves for support, and Stealth Rock was said already.

That’s it, thanks for reading, please give helpful suggestions!

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-905923830
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-905927861
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-906013712
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-906548131
Yay let’s bump this thread because I am bored and impatient and have nothing also to do :)

Latias @ Latiasite
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
Now I respect that you want to use the Roost + 3 attacks set on Mega Latias, but I've got to say... that set is trash. Latios is just way better as an all-out attacker because of its ability to effectively utilize Earthquake to OHKO Heatran. I'm also confused why you're running no SpA EV's, if the main job of Latias is to attack, why should it be especially bulky if it already possesses amazing natural bulk?
I'll always recommend the CM boosting set, as that can sometimes break down teams entirely on its own.

Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Stored Power
- Thunderbolt
Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
Clefable is fine I guess but its qualities are simply not needed here as you already have enough rockers and no one on the team needs extensive Wish-support outside of maybe Heatran and I'll get into that later. AV Magearna can do whatever Clefable already does and then some, except maybe heal itself, but that isn't needed on the build I will suggest here.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
I am not strictly against Ferrothorn per se. It forms a fine fire/water/grass core with Toxapex and Heatran, but because you already use Toxapex (which sort of isn't debatable on this build, it's necessary to check otherwise huge threats) the team lacks severe offensive presence, forcing you into defensive a majority of the time. I'd suggest a more offensive spiker in Ash-Greninja, which synergizes beautifully offense-wise with Mega Latias and truly makes that offensive core work. It also provides the team with much needed speed control.

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Defog
Offensive Tornadus-Therian fits the team well and makes a good Z move user, as well as filling in the role as Defog support and builds a nice Regenerator core with Toxapex. However, I'd suggest U-turn over Knock Off for much needed momentum and possibly even Fightinium Z over Flyinium Z.
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic
Toxapex fills in gaps that need to be filled in and acts as important defensive glue this team can't function without. But I'd suggest a different more balanced EV spread as well as Toxic Spikes over Toxic as that can severely help in endgame scenarios.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
Heatran @ Firium Z
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
Now I'm really not sold on Heatran for this team. You already have a Z move user in Tornadus and Heatran could really use another item. However, I've come up with a different Pokemon that takes over Heatran's job way better than him, Celesteela. It does exactly what Heatran does for the team but gives back Leech Seed support that's been cut away with the removal of Ferrothorn and Protect to amp up Toxic Spikes pressure. It also synergizes beautifully with Toxapex. It also gives the team the capability of offensively pressuring fairies with Heavy Slam instead of just semi-checking them.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Yay thanks! I’ll try your changes out. This team was made when I had only been playing for a month or so, so I wasn’t really experienced then. Thanks!

Latias' set is... bad. As Ronneberg says, I would go with a Calm Mind set if you want it to be the star of the show, or a supportive Defog set could give the team some more utility. There are a couple things I don't really like about his changes though. First and most importantly, you would not have access to Stealth Rocks. Secondly, you don't have any resistance/immunity to Electric attacks besides Latias. This gives common Volt Switchers to pivot around your team freely, or makes you really vulnerable to being swept by strong Electric attackers, such as Specs Koko. Lastly, I don't really like not having a scarfer or at least a reliable priority user because of boosted mons such as Zard X, Z-Gyara, or any dragon/quiver dancer really, as they just 6-0 the team after a single DD/QD.
You could solve the Electric Weakness and the lack of a scarfer by adding a Scarf Garchomp, which is a mon that I've been using quite a bit lately. Otherwise Scarf Landorus-T could work too, keep in mind though that it won't be able to outspeed Zard X after a boost, and it won't be able to beat a setted up Volcarona.
And that's pretty much all that I would change. I would keep the team as it was, give Leftovers to Heatran and maybe make it SpDef, and switch Clef out for Garchomp. Also Latias' set has to change. I think the team could be a pretty solid balance-like one though.

Latias' set is... bad. As Ronneberg says, I would go with a Calm Mind set if you want it to be the star of the show, or a supportive Defog set could give the team some more utility. There are a couple things I don't really like about his changes though. First and most importantly, you would not have access to Stealth Rocks. Secondly, you don't have any resistance/immunity to Electric attacks besides Latias. This gives common Volt Switchers to pivot around your team freely, or makes you really vulnerable to being swept by strong Electric attackers, such as Specs Koko. Lastly, I don't really like not having a scarfer or at least a reliable priority user because of boosted mons such as Zard X, Z-Gyara, or any dragon/quiver dancer really, as they just 6-0 the team after a single DD/QD.
You could solve the Electric Weakness and the lack of a scarfer by adding a Scarf Garchomp, which is a mon that I've been using quite a bit lately. Otherwise Scarf Landorus-T could work too, keep in mind though that it won't be able to outspeed Zard X after a boost, and it won't be able to beat a setted up Volcarona.
And that's pretty much all that I would change. I would keep the team as it was, give Leftovers to Heatran and maybe make it SpDef, and switch Clef out for Garchomp. Also Latias' set has to change. I think the team could be a pretty solid balance-like one though.
Ironically, my Mega Latias team that I‘ve based these changes off has got a Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian, I just didn‘t want to mess with parts of the team that weren‘t inherently broken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)