LCPL General Discussion

SCHEFF

I COULD BE BANNED!
would like to introduce myself

my rankings will not do me justice, as i've only recently become a so-called "good player"
i've recently become increasingly active in the community, playing in lc swiss, lcssnl, and being drafted (at 4k no less) for mpl.
I bring a fair bit of potential, and am extremely active & helpful in the behind the scenes stuff as well (helping other scout and prep)
some of the ppl y'all actually drafted (neomon, las, fille etc.) have used scheff teams to victory in tourneys

i have many many different teams and different playstyles.
i'll give some of my more notable replays below.

MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE LC GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED. MDL FRENCH INVASION v Katarass mdl actually lost to the french guys, and i was one of the few wins. granted, i wasn't playing peak, but the community was amazing:s/o mdl

vs. Sealette: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7lc-356702 First game (by far the most lopsided of the series) L
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7lc-356711 w Second game w/ balanced bulky team.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7lc-356722 Final game, came down to the wire, and a fun loss tbh.

I put these three here as this was, in my opinion, my favorite series I have yet to play. Sealette's a bro, and playing these matches gave me a new friend on PS. So, yeah, community Involvement.

vs. Zben: wallbreaking W v/ some bulkier mons
BEATING MAG W able to stop a mon i loved to use at the time (mag)

Friendly matches vs. Zben, who y'all prolly know from higher but still low tiers. Very, very good friend of mine (and the RO of my favorite room on PS). We play a lot. He's very instrumental to me learning.

vs. Shrug: tot pump W i'll freely admit i used a well played meme on shrug. but it was well played
dcae pony and shrug gets me back with a dcae meme

vs. Melon: dont sac vully t1 plas played me against melon for my first tier. and i put up a fight. outside of my turn 1 terrible play, i really feel that this shows my ability to read and react.

vs. Fille: less than a 3-0 Fille has been instrumental in helping me get better.

vs. Neomon: dont draft neomon w

vs. Allstar Line-Up: beating my tutor w So, as you probably can see from my sig, I'm the first & only tutee of Allstar. We once played a game, on ladder, of LC. He won, we were talking cancerous shit, and mans just offered to ladder w/ me. Allstar might be brash, and what not, but it's undeniable that he is one of the best predictors in the game. Overall, laddering w/ him has helped me so much as a player. As such, my ladder rankings do suck. Cause I sucked before I got the help I really needed. I'm still learning, but s/o to him.

really think i deserve to be drafted. others will vouch.

LCPL is all big money with predictions being made and bets being placed, this year your resident bookie brings you adept insight on what to expect and where to invest. concept stolen from Nineage

LCPL VEGAS ODDS

1:1 Heysup is forced to play USM
2:1 Heysup's DPP spot goes to blarajan
3:1 Corporal Levi drafts infamy to get the services of his ghoster, er i mean tutor Starmaster
9:4 TheFenderStory 's respective fire checks looses to fire types.
6:1 A manager pulls a OP by week 3
7:2 That manager is Shrug who migrates to Cuba to start his own Cigar brand
50:1 And lands Emma Stone as the brand ambassador.
1:4 Fiend outlucks his miserable luck and goes positive
7:2 Jox makes full length features to hype up his matches every week
30:1 One of them makes it to the oscars
8:1 A player gets sold back for toxicity
2:1 That player will likely be me -.-
20:1 Carvanha gets banned from BW by week 4.
5:1 Kingler12345 converts a player from his team into homosexuality
25:1 Macle convinces everyone to reset the draft after not being drafted alongside Imanalt
4:1 Someone looses by timeout
11:2 Coconut reveals Madoka as her assman during the draft
1:1 If that scenario arises, Jac trades Madoka for 30k
15:8 trash and melon play LOL for majority of the draft and later forms the ultimate scrub team
40:1 One out of ZF,Artemisa,Yagura or Celestavian returns during mids
11:10 teal6 wins it for the third time in a row
20:1 Dundies embraces the art of johning

And now for the major bets aka the ones we don't want to happen

100:1 Tcr gets a haircut
100:1 Quote is forced to strip off the winners after finding allegations of them being ghosted by Goao

Now that your here, this may not be The Washington Post but truthful citizen journalism costs, care to donate a like ?

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Okay, so I've noticed a ton of LCPL hopefuls are really trying hard to get themselves drafted, moreso this year than in past years. While LCPL is a really fun tournament, and is what we talk about for 13 months of the year, not everyone gets drafted. So you might be wondering; how do I get drafted? So I'm going to outline some steps that you can take to maximize your chances of getting into LCPL right now.

A personal note that these are just my opinions and I do not speak for the other managers directly, but I know many of them think similarly to me.

1. Find your niche
Not everyone in LCPL has to be the complete player. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses but many of them are still worth buying in the auction. You need to market yourself so that your strengths are highlighted. Generally, there are three qualities that managers look for and if you can get one of these checked off to the point where you stand out, you have very good odds of being drafted. They consist of...
A. Good at battling
This is generally the hardest to prove if you are not a fully developed player. However, these players certainly exist and have been drafted before for what they provide to a team. A skilled battler generally has a range of playstyles they can rely on and will generally not be dependent on one particular niche, teamstyle, or pokemon. Most of these players have experience in Pokemon in the past or have experience in other tiers and generally find themselves in a manager's eyes considerably easier than the other two.

B. Good at building
This is generally the easiest way for newer players to prove, but has the highest skillfloor of players. Many people would consider themselves to be exceptional builders, so if you take this route you really need to stand out more than any other player available. A skilled builder has a variety of different ideas they can build around at any given moment. It is important that they are not too gimmicky, and that they tiptoe the line between innovation and garbage. Bonus points if they can build for several tiers. Most of the players drafted for this have shown they can compete near or at a medium skill level, which is enough in the case of LCPL.

C. Good personality
This is by far the most subjective thing you can offer a manager. Having a fun, dynamic team environment is important to a successful team, as teams do not do well if they do not like each other. This is also very difficult between manager and manager, as one manager might find you hilarious while the other finds you intolerable. If this is genuinely all you can offer a team, you need to really be worth the money you are paid for, and not be a burden to the team in any way. Regardless, these players do have a place on teams and generally can do one of the two other facets fairly well, or at least not to the point where you'd be a hindrance to a team.

Okay, so you've chosen how you want to market yourself...now what?

2. Market yourself properly—what not to do
A hopeful player might qualify under one or several of these things, but marketing yourself properly makes the difference between someone who gets drafted and someone who does not. This is where most players screw up. There are a ton of pitfalls that players fall into, but they generally all fall into the same few things. A couple of general notes would include the way you conduct yourself in front of managers and in front of the public eye, the things that are shown to us, especially replays, and how persistent they are.
A. The Whiners
The Whiner consists of the player who uses self-deprecating humor regarding themselves in the draft. There are a couple of reasons they do this, but none of them are positive. They either try to draw attention to themselves, which isn't needed if you have one of the three things above. Or they try to make themselves feel better when they don't get drafted, which is dumb because it often comes from people who have the potential to get drafted if they market themselves. Generally, if you say you aren't worth drafting, why would I say you're worth drafting?

B. The Annoyers
Managers are people too, and on top of that are very busy people. Many of them have other commitments and things to worry about, so the absolute last thing that managers want to see is 15 messages in their inbox from the same person, explaining how excited they are to compete in LCPL. Sending a message to a manager is fine, especially if they say somewhere publicly that they are looking for people to message them—but if they say they are not looking for tryouts, do not ask them for tryouts. Generally, I send the exact same message to people who ask for tryouts, because I explicitly said that I would not be battling anyone. I'm not taking challenges from 50 people, and if I am battling you I very highly doubt I'm considering you for a spot, win or lose.

C. The Asskissers
These people often loop into the last one quite well, but they are a special breed of bad marketers. These are the people who make it very clear that they like you a lot and would like you to draft them. Often in times they do this with several managers, saying that they are the number one choice, or the only person they've messaged. Managers talk. If you're talking to every manager, trying to butter us up, we generally know. Not only that, it's incredibly obvious when it's happening in real time. If you're suddenly way friendlier to a manager, they know why and it comes off as super disingenuous

D. The Manics
My personal favorite type, these are the people who open themselves up to ridicule publicly, either messaging several managers, posting in the commencement thread, or dropping messages on discord or PS begging to be drafted. Often having a ton of energy, these people are willing to get attention from anyone who will take it. These people often accompany themselves with a wide-open pitch, leaving themselves open to ridicule to the masses and generally do not get themselves drafted unless they stand out in an incredibly positive way.

Okay, you've nailed down what you should be doing and what not to do, that's everything right?

3. Replay those replays
An important part of getting a managers attention is replays, and this is often what managers will ask for when they are looking for people. This is by far the easiest way to ruin your own chances. Managers generally know how to sniff out a good player from a bad one just by watching them battle. My suggestion is really watch your replays. Like really watch them. Did you play well? Did your opponent play well? Did you both bring good teams? Did your opponent throw? Did you use a team you built? Did you win solely because you got lucky? Did you play optimally turn by turn? Truly dwell over these questions and if any of the replays you thought were good maybe aren't as good as you thought they were, maybe you should reconsider sending it out to managers, or in the Manics case, the world. Good replays separate someone who will get drafted to someone who will not.

With all of that in mind, you should have better odds of being picked up by a manager, as they are looking for prospective players that follow these rules. There might be some things I've missed, and other managers might have other opinions, but these are the things that I know I look for myself. And just gonna throw out a quick disclaimer, if you think this post is about you for any reason, it isn't. It was written in February.

Good luck to all the LCPL hopefuls, keep on raiding!

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Here's the schedule:

Week 1 (April 23rd)
Squirtle Squad vs. Snivy Subterfuge
Pinochetian Pikipeks vs. Stuntin' Stunkys
Pakistani Piplups vs. Bunnelby Battalion
The Remoraiders vs. Ducklett Dynasty

Week 2 (April 30th)
Squirtle Squad vs. Stuntin' Stunkys
Snivy Subterfuge vs. Bunnelby Battalion
Pinochetian Pikipeks vs. Ducklett Dynasty
Pakistani Piplups vs. The Remoraiders

Week 3 (May 7th)
Squirtle Squad vs. Bunnelby Battalion
Stuntin' Stunkys vs. Ducklett Dynasty
Snivy Subterfuge vs. The Remoraiders
Pinochetian Pikipeks vs. Pakistani Piplups

Break Week/Midseason Draft (May 14th)

Week 4 (May 21st)
Squirtle Squad vs. Ducklett Dynasty
Bunnelby Battalion vs. The Remoraiders
Stuntin' Stunkys vs. Pakistani Piplups
Snivy Subterfuge vs. Pinochetian Pikipeks

Week 5 (May 28th)
Squirtle Squad vs. The Remoraiders
Ducklett Dynasty vs. Pakistani Piplups
Bunnelby Battalion vs. Pinochetian Pikipeks
Stuntin' Stunkys vs. Snivy Subterfuge

Week 6 (June 4th)
Squirtle Squad vs. Pakistani Piplups
The Remoraiders vs. Pinochetian Pikipeks
Ducklett Dynasty vs. Snivy Subterfuge
Bunnelby Battalion vs. Stuntin' Stunkys

Week 7 (June 11th)
Squirtle Squad vs. Pinochetian Pikipeks
Pakistani Piplups vs. Snivy Subterfuge
The Remoraiders vs. Stuntin' Stunkys
Ducklett Dynasty vs. Bunnelby Battalion

Players:

Pinochetian Pikipeks: [Money: 5000 | Bidders: shrug, dcae, chillshadow] Players: shrug, dcae, Chill Shadow, fitzy72, miltankmilk, Imanalt, Real FV13, Casparov, Arifeen, LilyAC, Shiba
Stuntin Stunkys: [Money: 4000 | Bidders: sken, therealtcr] Players: therealtcr, ZoroDark, fatty, Plas, talkingtree, Nails, Hawkie, pinktidal, Luthier, S0L1D G0LD
Squirtle Squad: [Money: 1500 | Bidders: op] Players: op, Jox, Dundies, majaspic22, GOAO, Serene Grace, Rodriblutar, Hamhamhamham, Mikaav, Eseque
Snivy Subterfuge: [Money: 10000 | Bidders: jac, merritty] Players: merritty, ItzViper482, Alice Kazumi, Trace, Raseri, absdaddy, Seo., rssp1, Gummy, Kaboom, Spl4sh, London13, Kavatika, blizzardy
The Remoraiders: [Money: 1000 | Bidders: coconut] Players: coconut, SilentMango, Holiday, infamy, Fille, TheFenderStory, Osh, Kaori, lighthouses, Disjunction
Bunnelby Battalion: [Money: 18000 | Bidders: melon, trash] Players: trash, FLCL, tazz, HT, Lycans, Bushtush, Empo, uncredible., lax, passion, taranteeeno
Pakistani Piplups: [Money: 2500 | Bidders: levi, kingler12345] Players: levi, kingler12345, teal6, Finchinator, Simbo, Christo, soulgazer, BurntZebra, Ninjadog13, Ajna
Ducklett Dynasty: [Money: 3500 | Bidders: nineage, heysup] Players: heysup, jake, Eternal Spirit, blarajan, fran17, Kushalos, MajorBowman, KingKdot, Kink, Kurukaito, Vubon, praj.pran

Week 1 lineups are due at midnight.

Last edited:

2018 LCPL PLAYER VIABILITY RANKINGS
Hello all. The 2018 LCPL draft just took place, and we have a lot of managers and players excited to get started. I have decided to build up some hype by ranking who I believe to be the top players out of everyone picked in this year's draft. Because there will be a total of 64 starting spots every week, I have chosen the best 64 players available and ranked them on multiple factors that all tie into being the best possible player. Keep in mind these are subjective, but I've done my best to avoid bias and pick players who I genuinely believe will succeed. With all of that being said, enjoy Dundies' LCPL Player Viability Rankings!

LCPL Player List
Without further ado, here is the player list. The ranks are in descending order, with the players in each rank ordered alphabetically.

S RANK
The S tier contains the best of the best players available in the draft. Typically they have a good grasp of the LC metagame, are consistent at a high level, and are expected to finish LCPL with very few losses, if any.

S
Dundies
Heysup
OP
ZoroDark

A RANK
The A tier contains players that are very good, but are flawed in some aspects. They are still expected to finish LCPL with a solid record, but aren't expected to do quite as well as players in the S tier.

A+
Corporal Levi
Kingler12345
Shrug

A
Chill Shadow
dcae
FLCL
jake
Jox
trash

A-
blarajan
Christo
Finchinator
ItzViper482
Merritt
Nails

B RANK
The B tier contains players that are good, but have multiple flaws that keep them out of A. They might lack versatility, meta knowledge, and / or frequency of play. They are expected to win a few games, scoring about a 50% win rate.

B+
Eternal Spirit
Fille
fitzy72
majaspic22
Osh
Plas
Serene Grace
tazz
tcr

B
fatty
Holiday
infamy
Kushalos
miltankmilk
Ninjadog13
Rodriblutar
Simbo

B-
Alice Kazumi
Arifeen
Eseque
fran17
Imanalt
Kaboom
LilyAC
SilentMango
teal6
TheFenderStory
Trace

C RANK
The C tier contains players that made the cut for top 64, but have multiple flaws in consistency, overall playing ability, and / or meta knowledge. This tier also contains players that are solid overall, but have played little to no LC. They are expected to possibly win a few games.

C+
absdaddy
Ajna
Bushtush
Coconut
GOAO
Hamhamhamham
HT
Kurukaito
Luthier
passion
Real FV13

C
BurntZebra
Mikaav
Shiba
Spl4sh
talkingtree

C-
soulgazer
Lycans

I would like to give a special thanks to Corporal Levi for helping me narrow down the playerlist. Also, don't PM me complaining about your rank or lack of rank, because frankly I don't really care. With that being said, let's have a great LCPL!

Q: Dundies why would you ever rank yourself? And why did you rank yourself S? Isn't that a bit unfair?
A: I went early in the draft for an expensive amount, so I didn't feel like there was a reason not to include myself. I also asked Corporal Levi for his 100% honest opinion, and he believes I should be S.

Q: Can I make a nomination for a player to rise or drop?
A: Yes, but I could care less and I won't be editing my post to reflect any nominations.

Q: Why is the Pokemon icon beside me the worst Pokemon ever?
A: They were picked at random, don't take it too seriously.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)