League of Shadows- BW2 UU Stall

League of Shadows
BW2 UU Stall

Intro
Hey there, it's Zarco. I've always been a balanced/semistall/bulky offense type of player, occasionally dabbling in very offensive teams but never trying a stall team. After making a series of teams that ended up being pretty defensive, I decided I really wanted to try hard stall. So, I hit up my buddy Dug and we decided UU would be a fun tier to try, and we just started building the team. It's only been a couple of days but I really like the team and it plays extremely solidly. The name was just random yammering inspired by The Dark Knight Rises being so freaking amazing, but the goal of the team is simply to wait and find openings to do crucial little things- get an extra layer, status a wall, pass off a wish- that can eventually send even the mightiest of teams over the brink. So, I guess it kinda works (aside from just sounding cool, which is obviously the most important thing). Without further ado, here's the team at a glance:

At a Glance:

::

~Roserade~Umbreon~~Suicune~~~Bronzong~~~Sableye~~~Hitmontop~

Teambuilding:

So I started out with Umbreon because he is simply so effective against special attackers, and gets heal bell and wish which acts as the cornerstone of stall synergy in my limited experience. I love wishpassing, and Umbreon is one of the best UU walls, so it was a no-brainer.

Next I wanted hazards. Seeing as rocks are common and easily fit on a team, I knew my spiker had to be picked first. Dug and I were both adamant about Roserade, the best defensive spiker in UU and a good wall in its own right.

With two special walls and no bulky water in our repertoire, Dug suggested Slowbro. I rejected it because, as good as Slowbro is, it compounds a bug (and therefore Heracross, the monster that he is) weakness. Blastoise came to mind for rapid spin support and access to roar but something about it turned us off- it has a lack of recovery and mediocre overall bulk. I suggested Suicune, which is just as bulky and can phaze for us to abuse hazards and stop sweepers.

Now we looked for a spinblocker to help spikes abuse and fighting resistance to take on big threats to our current members like Mienshao or, again, Heracross. I suggested Golurk for rocks or the all-bulky Dusclops, but Dug suggested Sableye, and I loved the idea. I had never used it, but it's a great staller and can wallbreak similarly to taunt Jellicent, another pokemon I had recently fell in love with. Being able to stop sweepers with priority WoW was the clincher and a legend was born.

And now we needed to fit in a Stealth Rocker. We played around with a few ideas, but then I realized we had no Steel-type. To combine these we picked Registeel, but at the last second I thought of something huge- Trick. We tried to work in priority-trick onto Sableye but it didn't seem solid enough and so we picked Bronzong over Registeel. It boasts a neutrality to fighting (since Sableye can't switch in on Megahorns and Registeel falls to CC, neither counter Heracross) and a ground immunity to help deal with Flygon and friends.

To finish off the team, we looked at rapid spinners. We decided on Hitmontop for some reason or another, but it checks almost all physical attackers with Intimidate including the all-threatening Heracross, resists bug and rock moves, and can supply some offensive pressure (which this team obviously lacks) with its fighting typing, which helps immensely against Umbreon and Snorlax.

In Depth:

Bronzong @ Lefties (was Iron Ball)
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Toxic (was Trick)
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
(switched over to Standard Tank set from Trick/Iron Ball at the request of Pokemazter) Bronzong's generally my lead because of rocks. It does OK against pretty much every common lead choice, and gets me my rocks early game. It helps out with Raikou and walls Flygon, and spread Toxic as well. It and Suicune are my only options against Togekiss, which is a huge threat. I often fodder it before anything else because mid-to-late game its usefulness really falters. It's pretty standard and an all-around good tank and rocks setter.

Roserade @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SDef / 120 Def
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest
Roserade switches in on bulky waters and walls and can set up spikes, which is crucial to win. Often a big threat is best dealt with by forcing it out and making sure it can't come back in as much as it would like, or at all in a fortunate case. I'll even fodder Roserade or let it get crippled for extra layers, since they are so important. I'm considering Synthesis, but Roserade already plays very hit-and-run (or, spikes-and-run, rather) so Rest is good. The attacks on this thing are basically negligible because they only rarely get used, so we went with the classic dual STAB and moved on.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play
Umbreon Umbreon Umbreon. This is pretty much my favorite thing of all time. Aside from huge 4MSS, it does its job extremely well and is the cornerstone of this team. It prevents opposing stall from statusing me, removes sleep from Suicune or a Sleep Powder fodder, and heals up anything that gets a bit low on HP. It can take on Gothitelle, Raikou, Nidoking, Chandelure (aside from Specs Overheat, which I can divert over to Suicune), and countless other special attackers with its bulk and whittle them down. Protect is important for getting my own wishes and keeping this guy healthy, and is also very useful against Mienshao's HJK (with some prediction). Foul Play (as requested by the almighty Dug, god bless his soul) prevents me from being Taunt bait but hits very hard against many physical attackers (notably OHKOing Victini and 2HKOing a lot of fighting types) and usually hits at least as hard as payback against special attackers because even Zapdos and Raikou, for example, have a higher attack stat than Umbreon himself when using a base 95 move. The lack of Toxic hurts once in a while, but synchronize can nab me it once in a blue moon combined with Heal Bell and there's nothing I can afford to give up on this set.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Scald
Restalk/Roar Suicune is one of the most solid Pokemon in UU. Scald can burn things for me and eliminate Rhyperior, Fire-types, and weakened attackers like Heracross or Mienshao, and Roar deals with setup users. Phazing allows me to rack up hazards doubly on opponents- both on the thing I roar out and again when they switch in the original thing- so it's huge in beating a whole bunch of teams. Suicune serves as my main check to a lot of physical attackers like Honchkrow, Victini, Darmanitan, Arcanine, and Azumarill, and helps me take on strong attackers that can only hit it neutrally like the aforementioned fighting types. All in all I'm very happy with this set as it does what I need and is very resilient. If I had another phazer or two I'd consider CroCune but as it is I need Roar and it's been working for me.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Calm Nature
- Night Shade
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
Sableye is an altogether fantastic Pokemon. Priority Taunt beats pokemon reliant on status or setup and blocks entry hazard setup which can limit my switching. It's yet another check to fighting Pokemon with Will-o-Wisp. He spinblocks and can easily beat all spinners barring Blastoise, who simply requires a bit of prediction and caution to beat. Taunt/WoW/Recover is a fantastic option to break opposing stall in a similar fashion to similar Mew or Jellicent sets, and priority Recovery means it will rarely die on accident. Sableye is pretty fantastic, but I have noticed it can't really cripple most specially-attacking things that can set up on it unless I take some serious damage. Thus, things like Venomoth can be a big threat.

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
Hitmontop was kind of thrown on, but intimidate is very useful and gives my team another major physical wall. Each move on it is relatively straightforward. Rapid Spin protects me from hazards which is crucial in maintaining the ability to switch between my walls. Toxic is my best weapon vs. most spinblockers on the switchin (foresight is really situational and Hitmontop is too slow to stay in on things like Chandelure or Mismagius) and helps beat bulky things that I want to wear down. Close Combat is a reliable STAB and the defense drop isn't big because I usually switch out soon enough. HJK fails against its major checks anyways, and can be a major liability. Either way it gives my team a bit of offensive pressure to abuse hazards and take out stalling machines like opposing Umbreon or Snorlax. Sucker punch is my only priority on this team, which helps take out sweepers that are at a small nub of health like Yanmega. I'm considering Stone Edge over it because it beats Chandelure on the switch-in but I can usually toxic it as it switches in, then deal with it without too much hassle.

Importable:
Roserade @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SDef / 120 Def
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Scald

Sableye @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Calm Nature
- Night Shade
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Bronzong @ Iron Ball
Trait: Levitate
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch

So that's pretty much it! Please comment/rate/etc., I'd be very appreciative!

Threatlist: (WIP)

UU Offensive Threats

-Aerodactyl: Suicune, Hitmontop, Sableye for wisp, Bronzong
-Ambipom: Sableye, Bronzong, Suicune, Hitmontop
-Arcanine: Suicune
-Azelf: Umbreon, Sableye (vs. lead ones), sometimes Zong
-Azumarill: Suicune, Roserade, Sableye for wisp
-Bisharp: Sableye for wisp, Suicune
-Chandelure:
-Cobalion:
-Crobat:
-Darmanitan:
-Durant:
-Eelektross:
-Escavalier:
-Flygon:
-Froslass:
-Gallade:
-Galvantula:
-Golurk:
-Gorebyss:
-Heracross:
-Honchkrow:
-Houndoom:
-Kingdra:
-Krookodile:
-Lilligant:
-Machamp:
-Mienshao
-Mismagius:
-Moltres:
-Nidoking:
-Ninjask:
-Omastar:
-Poliwrath:
-Porygon-Z:
-Raikou:
-Rhyperior:
-Rotom-C:
-Rotom-H:
-Sceptile:
-Scolipede:
-Scrafty:
-Sharpedo:
-Shaymin:
-Sigilyph:
-Smeargle:
-Snorlax:
-Stoutland:
-Suicune:
-Togekiss:
-Venomoth:
-Victini:
-Weavile:
-Yanmega:
-Zoroark:

UU Defensive Threats

-Blastoise:
-Bronzong:
-Claydol:
-Clefable:
-Cresselia:
-Cryogonal:
-Drapion:
-Dusclops:
-Empoleon:
-Ferroseed:
-Gligar:
-Hippopotas:
-Hitmontop:
-Milotic:
-Nidoqueen:
-Porygon2:
-Quagsire:
-Qwilfish:
-Registeel:
-Roserade:
-Rotom:
-Sableye:
-Slowbro:
-Spiritomb:
-Swampert:
-Tangrowth:
-Umbreon:
-Uxie:
-Whimsicott:
-Xatu:
-Zapdos:

Interesting choice of team considering the hit that stall has taken from the arrival of Shadow Tag Gothitelle.

The biggest problem that I assume your team faces, is that many top tier threats beat this team team. Things like Choice Gothitelle, Scarf MoxieCross, SubCM / Specs Raikou, and SubDD / Rain Dance Kingdra can make quick work of your team, especially if a combination of any of these Pokemon happens to be on the same team. What your team needs is something that can come in on Gothitelle and mash it up, all while not messing with the idea of a stall team. To fix that glaring hole, try using a RestTalk Snorlax with Pursuit over Whirlwind in place of Umbreon. Umbreon my be a great Special Wall, but Snorlax does the job better thanks to its ability in Thick Fat and better Attack stat. The goal with this change is to patch up your glaring Gothitelle weakness, as the "standard" Choice Specs set literally outspeeds and beats half of your team. All you have to do is send Snorlax in on the predicted switch or after something gets trapped and dies, then use Pursuit, as Gothitelle will typically be unable to beat Snorlax unless is uses Psyshock, which is a 3HKO at best. Snorlax will also help patch up the issue that Specs Chandelure and Raikou were posing, especially if Suicune is KO'd. Snorlax also provides insurance against specially attacking Kingdra, lightening the load on Suicune. Set listed below.

There's another issue with this team that I'd like to point out, which I'm sure you're aware of:
| 7 | Blastoise | 8739 | 14.074% | 5706 | 14.250% |

| 10 | Hitmontop | 8142 | 13.113% | 5413 | 13.518% |
The one spinner that beats your Ghost-type Pokemon also happens to be the most used Spinner in the tier. I threw Hitmontop there as well to point out this glaring fact, but because of Cofagrigus' increase of usage in the Underused tier, BOTH Blastoise and Hitmontop more frequently run Foresight. With little to no prediction, both can use Foresight as you drag Sableye out to block the spin, and render your efforts useless. Personally, I believe there are better options for a spinblocker than Sableye, simply because it isn't as bulky as others. The recommendation I have, is Defensive Cofagrigus for a few reasons. The first is that it is MUCH bulkier than Sableye and can generally take more than 2 hits (cause Will-O-Wisp tends to miss, something Sableye cannot afford). Second, is its access to Haze, a move all stall teams should have access to. It eliminates all status boosts on the field, reducing the impact of setup sweepers. The third reason is that Cofagrigus is a better check to the likes of all variants of Heracross than Sableye tends to be. On the switch, Cofagrigus has nothing to fear from a +1 or +2 Heracross, where Sableye would be typically forced to recover or KO'd with basically any previous damage. This replacement does not help in the slightest with the predicted Foresight issues, but it gives you a better Ghost-type to be thrown at things that a Ghost-type should be thrown at. Set shown below.

Final nitpick here, but Bronzong is going to be wanting to be using the standard Tank Bronzong set over the set you have. This increases Bronzong's survivability and allows the spread of Toxic to help wear the opposing team down. Its a better set for a stall team in general, and should do you better. Set given below.

RestTalk Snorlax w/ Pursuit > Umbreon
Defensive Cofagrigus > Sableye
Tank Bronzong > Trick Bronzong

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Thick Fat
Careful Nature
208 HP / 124 Def / 176 SpD
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Body Slam
- Pursuit

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Mummy
Bold Nature
252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
- Shadow Ball
- Haze
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Levitate
Impish Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

To clear up why Cofagrigus is running Rest over Pain Split, status is going to be an issue for Cofagrigus without Wish support, so I generally recommend it so that Toxic doesn't cripple it.

To address those threats, Gothitelle is a threat to any type of stall but Snorlax just can't do what Umbreon does. Goth takes a kill on me regardless, and I've been able to stop the one or two I saw easily enough from taking multiple kills. Although I'd like another phazer with whirlwind if I used Snorlax (making that suggestion kind of moot anyways), Wish passing and Heal Bell are so crucial to how this team functions even with recovery on most/all of the other Pokemon. 2 Restalkers (and a 4th rest user in Cofagrigus) without Heal Bell is a very clunky solution as you find yourself often trapped with them asleep and unable to heal up, and Hitmontop and Bronzong are left with only lefties recovery. Specs Chandy, the only one that bothers me, can simply be switched into with Umbreon, and in the event of Overheat, can simply be diverted to Suicune. I haven't seen many (or any, not quite sure), and no Overheat Chandelure has caused problems.

Most of my team deals with Heracross- it can't beat Suicune, the combination of Sableye/Hitmontop has no problem with any of its moves, and Sableye can WoW it without a problem. Raikou is stopped from setting up and walled by Umbreon, and choiced variants can easily be predicted around with additional help from Bronzong and Roserade. Blastoise CAN in fact be beaten by Sableye with WoW and Recover. Kingdra is easily stopped by Suicune who roars it out, and pretty much anything else of mine can take a hit from it and status or stall it. None of those have been problems, even if I may seem weak to them in theory, they just require a bit of smart play, which is very doable because things like Wish and priority WoW hold my team together.

Sableye is also my only real answer to a lot of walls/stall pokes because status/taunt/recover breaks them for me (or forces them out to suffer hazards), and allows me to check setup sweepers with WoW before they can sweep my team. I'll consider Cofagrigus, (especially after facing a troublesome restalk/CM set) but I often find myself needing the utility of Prankster even in the face of less bulk.

I think I'll switch the Bronzong set as it should help with my glaring Togekiss weakness, but I'll miss making things like Cress or Zapdos take spikes. The other changes, I'm just not sure about. This team doesn't have big problems with any of the things you mentioned and I see detriments with limited benefits from switching those Pokemon.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
your team looks really solid so i just have a couple nitpicks for you.

i understand why you don't want snorlax over umbreon - umbreon just has so much utility it works lots like blissey in ou which is super cool for stall teams.

your umbreon is your only true special wall though but it lacks power which means things like Raikou stand a good chance of sweeping you not to mention things like chandelure can burn wholes through you. i suggest you to change your bronzongs ev spread to 252 hp/252 spd with a sassy nature so you can comfortably take even boosted tbolts from raikou while being able to counter special attackers in general more easily, toxicing zapdos which can outstall umbreon while taking only ~50% from heat wave and laughing at even hp fire from roserade which is uncommon but decent. since your suicune and hitmontop mainly focus on physical defense while sableye and roserade cannot hope to wall powerful special attackers, umbreon has too much pressure to handle without a little help. i think that bronzong ev spread will really help.

I also suggest you to change your Roserade to max spdef and hp because that helps a lot more than the extra defense which was standard in gen4 to take on cb scizors which you don't have to worry about anymore. the extra spdef lets you counter better rain dance kingdra and zapdos and special attackers in general. it takes a bit of pressure off of umbreon. thats all i can think of, good luck with your team.

I'll definitely consider that Zong spread. Though I like the Roserade spread as I like to absorb a U-Turn or fighting move to nab myself a layer of spikes. It takes a LO HJK from Mienshao.

How does this team deal with Togekiss? I'm talking about this set:

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Roost

People usually run this set to rip apart stall teams, and that seems the case for your team. Maybe you could try to fit in a Rhyperior or something a little more offensive (like a trump card) that could help against stallbreakers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)