SPOILERS! Legends: Arceus Playthrough Discussion

So after my Zoroark outbreak irretrievably ended I figured I would continue with the postgame story... except that I pretty much immediately rolled a Zorua outbreak and have started farming those. Currently at 2 shiny Zorua, hopefully I can get the shiny alpha this time around. Will also be interested to see if the outbreak just dies after midnight or if the Zoroark outbreak ended because I somehow triggered the end of the outbreak (without the message) before I made it back to Laventon.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Spoilers for postgame stuff
Post Volo there are actually some other challenges, with the genies being one of the biggests
Landorus is funnily enough the easiest of them, as he spawns on Fire-King Kong island where most of the stuff dont aggro, Aipom and Shellos just chill while one of the force of nature fights you.
Tornadus who may as well be Ice type now isnt much harder but the Glalie in the area can annoy you while trying to hit him.
Now Thundurus is where it gets tricky, you better pratice catching while jumping with Basculegion first, as this guy appear in the sea and is going to kill you if you miss a ball, i had to use double jump to get over his hurricane and then throw a rock while in slow motion to hit him before he moves at lighting speed to somewhere else, made me respect the mon.
And their new, sister? She has like 3 or 4 wind shields, and is in the swamp so you are getting hit by 2 Croagunks, 3 Stunky and alpha Skuntank just by being near, i had to take down most of the mons in there to actually progress in the fight as if you get hit by Enamorus you are going to die right after as everything in the area will come after you while stunned/confused, and she can see you from far away so throwing regular stuff just doesnt work, i used wing balls to take down the first few shields and then charged with Wyrdeer to take down the finals shields at her face, as if you take down the final one from too far away you may fail to send a mon before she recovers. And she can stunlock you with hurricane if you get unlucky if she decides to aggro you twice in a row instead of running away, i died like 4 times.
And im kind of fine with the human form design, could be better but not like every female mon has to be some kind of waifu, the Turtle is just wrong, why the long face? I wonder if we are getting the golden dragon to complete the chinese legend soon.

The Arceus battle took me a long time and i dont know how many times i died, it could one shot (or two shot if cm+judgment count as two even if i dont get a turn inbetween) 5 of my mons and i didnt bring healing items and only Samurott gained some levels since the Volo fight but couldnt do much to Arceus anyway. But for some reason it kind of didnt knew how to handle Goodra, it would waste turns using Extrasensory and Hyper Beam instead of god mode Judgment. The balm part of the battle was too much for my old hands, i would evade too soon or too late some moves and get hit.
Fun experience, best game ever, im going to shiny hunt now.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I've been streaming this on my Twitch and just came out of the post-game confrontation with the second big bad. Managed to do it itemless, all thanks to the newly broken Rest. Next step, getting the living dex, which also means seeking out and crying about Cherrim for about 7 hours. Team was Garchomp, Samurott-H, Goodra-H, Basculegion, Hippowdon, and Rapidash, all alphas except the obvious Samurott because god I love fighting them.

I am dumbfounded by how good this game is compared to the past, what, 3 generations? I think the sole issue this game has is that it's on the Switch so it can't render the graphics much better than it currently does. Hell, after my last 6hr50 stream, my Switch is like, burning hot right now. I even faintly heard the fans. Sure, it's an early serial number, but geez. Anyway, point is, game is good, hope to see mods on PC soup it up more. I will say this game would have appreciated voice acting and maybe a less "heavy" tutorial section, but those are par for the course for Pokemon and straight after I didn't feel them nipping at my feet, so it gets a pass.

I adore the new battle system in general, it really speeds up the archaic battle system we've had to deal with for a while now. I think balance-wise it could use with a little work, but the strategic depth it has is quite surprising for what we've got. I hope to see the nerfed sleep and frostbite status make it into future titles, I've wanted to see this come up for a long time. The new Pokemon and moves are all quite interesting though whoever made Lunar Blessing needs to be shot in a back alley. Gameplay loop is very fun and surprisingly didn't get old for me at all, there's enough to explore and do that it's juuuust right for me.

This is a firm, firm step towards great things!

Also, my L30ish Qwilfish failed to kill a L4 Drifloon when trying to get it evolve yesterday. What gives?

I'm loving this game so far. I hope it's not completely the norm for Pokemon games going forward, but not because I don't love the gameplay loop -- rather, I think this is the sort of game that has massively benefitted from a long dev cycle, and I think I would sour on the concept if we got a rushed one every year. I definitely would like to see it become its own miniseries in the long term though.

I'm loving this game so far. I hope it's not completely the norm for Pokemon games going forward, but not because I don't love the gameplay loop -- rather, I think this is the sort of game that has massively benefitted from a long dev cycle, and I think I would sour on the concept if we got a rushed one every year. I definitely would like to see it become its own miniseries in the long term though.
Honestly, this. I'd say outsource the "main series" Pokemon games to other devs like they did with BDSP (hopefully with better execution this time) and have Game Freak continue to refine this new formula with ideally more dev time and resources.

I've been streaming this on my Twitch and just came out of the post-game confrontation with the second big bad. Managed to do it itemless, all thanks to the newly broken Rest. Next step, getting the living dex, which also means seeking out and crying about Cherrim for about 7 hours. Team was Garchomp, Samurott-H, Goodra-H, Basculegion, Hippowdon, and Rapidash, all alphas except the obvious Samurott because god I love fighting them.

I am dumbfounded by how good this game is compared to the past, what, 3 generations? I think the sole issue this game has is that it's on the Switch so it can't render the graphics much better than it currently does. Hell, after my last 6hr50 stream, my Switch is like, burning hot right now. I even faintly heard the fans. Sure, it's an early serial number, but geez. Anyway, point is, game is good, hope to see mods on PC soup it up more. I will say this game would have appreciated voice acting and maybe a less "heavy" tutorial section, but those are par for the course for Pokemon and straight after I didn't feel them nipping at my feet, so it gets a pass.

I adore the new battle system in general, it really speeds up the archaic battle system we've had to deal with for a while now. I think balance-wise it could use with a little work, but the strategic depth it has is quite surprising for what we've got. I hope to see the nerfed sleep and frostbite status make it into future titles, I've wanted to see this come up for a long time. The new Pokemon and moves are all quite interesting though whoever made Lunar Blessing needs to be shot in a back alley. Gameplay loop is very fun and surprisingly didn't get old for me at all, there's enough to explore and do that it's juuuust right for me.

This is a firm, firm step towards great things!

Also, my L30ish Qwilfish failed to kill a L4 Drifloon when trying to get it evolve yesterday. What gives?
My main problem with the battle system is purely the fact it just doesn't hold up in actual pvp due to you choosing a move and it happening without the opponent able to do anything, (protect in this system physically could not work, as it would just give them a free setup turn and end up being the most useless move in the game), and the extremely limited moves that exist for more depth and strategies.

The stat scaling is the reason your qwilfish didn't kill the drifloon, as low level pokemon still have stats ~20-30's from a previous game, and your level 30 probably only has ~the stats of a level 40 in regular games.

My main problem with the battle system is purely the fact it just doesn't hold up in actual pvp
So you're saying a combat system designed strictly for a single player game doesn't hold well in a multiplayer environment?

Wow, I could never have guessed it! :facepalm:

I don't get it, why are you guys so obsessed with "PVP", it was the same in the leak thread, everyone always looking at how this or that will work in a competitive environment (expecially the new statuses) when this game purposely alters mechanics to fit in a single player "boss fight focused" environment and has nothing to do with the PvP.

Commence stop already. Seriously. Arceus isnt a PvP game, its combat system AND pokemon stats are not designed for PvP either.

So you're saying a combat system designed strictly for a single player game doesn't hold well in a multiplayer environment?

I don't get it, why are you guys so obsessed with "PVP", it was the same in the leak thread, everyone always looking at how this or that will work in a competitive environment (expecially the new statuses) when this game purposely alters mechanics to fit in a single player "boss fight focused" environment and has nothing to do with the PvP.

Commence stop already. Seriously. Arceus isnt a PvP game, its combat system AND pokemon stats are not designed for PvP either.
I know, it's fine for a single player game but all the people talking about how they want it to have pvp when it just doesn't work at all.
I'm not for it either I just know some of the mechanics are purely there for single player.

I don't even like it for single player that much because two of my pokemon can just die without me being able to do anything in one turn.

One thing I do dislike about the combat system is how much, when facing a stronger opponent, it emphasises sending in something to sac to use the opponent's turn. That said, it's better than just being swept.

Overall I am definitely appreciating the ways in which Legends Arceus has been tailored as a single player experience and focuses on that. I haven't been enjoying the "competitive multiplayer is the postgame" theme of recent entries all that much, especially with the connectivity getting steadily worse since gen 6 meaning that I can put a lot of effort into building teams that never actually get used.

EDIT: Getting a fully optimised Pokemon feels a lot easier in PLA, while also seeming to matter less; in particular, speed isn't as binarily relevant as it is in the standard combat system. I do think this follows from the single player nature of the game, because two Pokemon commonly being identical is a lot less of an issue when tiebreaker mechanisms don't need to be fully symmetrical.

Last edited:

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
Made quick use of a Chansey outbreak to evolve a Basculin and got a shiny Chansey in the process. Not bad.

Just nine non-Arceus mons left to get. Not much time to play today but kind of hoping to get it done.

This is Smogon.

Ignoring Phione & Manaphy since you don't need those for Arceus, and Arceus itself, I've got 72 more to get. 61 are normal pokemon.
Which is becoming extremely annoying

Time for a wild lore theory. Posting here since I'm not sure about Legends spoilers in the main forum.

Magnemite and Magneton specifically are exclusive to time distortions. Despite this, we know that this is not because the mons are too recent. So, instead of suggesting that distortions containing Magnemite link to the relative future like the ones that contain Porygon, what if they instead linked to the relative past? If we look at the various ruins, we get another floating steel-type in bronzor, a connection to Johto which is one of the very few regions to have wild magnemite outside of the most urban areas (they instead appear next to the much more traditional Ecruteak), and Regigigas who had mastered both metal and electricity. I don't think it's unreasonable to guess that this group of people also (intentionally or not) brought magnemite with them to Sinnoh. As for why only Magnezone currently appears, I have two different ideas:

1. There is a population of Magnemite and Magneton, but deeper into the caves than is explored in Legends (Magnemite can also be found in the underground in BDSP). After evolving, Magnezone migrate to the surface for better cell reception since the open space allows them to send the radio signals mentioned in their dex entries easier.
  2. Wild members of the family breed very slowly in the absence of electricity to feed on, so the evolution rate outpaces the rate at which new magnemite are formed and the population becomes more saturated towards Magnezone over time.

Came into Arceus Legends with 0 expectations and I'm really surprised how fun it is to play. Looking at the trailers and watching some streams for like an hour didn't really get me interested, but hearing about tons of people giving it praise had me curious so I bought the game on an impulse buy; definitely glad I skipped BDSP for this game instead lol.

Catching and battling is so seamless now that I'm going to have a hard time going back to the traditional way of the usual main series game. A lot of the mechanics feel like an amalgamation of Let's Go Eevee, Pokemon Go, and... Final Fantasy X with its conditional turn based combat. I enjoy the dynamic Agile and Strong Style moves bring and both have their really good uses; really like Strong Style status moves in particular because it makes them very accurate and last even longer. Instead of a usual team of 6, I've been rotating like 18 or so Pokemon to keep battles fresh and not end up horrifically overleveled; I've been doing a lot of exploring and extra tasks in each area so there's plenty of EXP and items to go around to keep every party member relevant.

Filling out the Pokedex has also been a blast and I never get tired of catching Pokemon, never thought that I would be playing a Pokemon game where I'm able to throw out my own Pokemon to gather resources while catching Pokemon at the same time, all in real time too! Alpha Pokemon are probably the most satisfying things to catch in this game and feel very rewarding when you manage to sneak up on them and catch them without them even noticing; the stealth system in place works surprisingly well. Really don't have many complaints about the mechanics in this game.

Though the gameplay loop here is excellent, I do wish for in a future title similar to this for the world design and exploration to be better than what we got here. Luckily there's plenty of things to collect and catch at every corner so it makes it hard to notice that the overworld is fairly bland and unappealing looking. The quest system is pretty bad; lots of bad rewards, very awkward to access them in the menu, and are generally lackluster fetch quest RPG nonsense. It's Gamefreak's first go at a side quest system so I'm willing to forgive its half-baked implementation, but it's still a good starting place for future titles. The Pokemon selection is pretty lackluster here, but I still don't mind too muc because I like the gen 4 dex anyways. A bit annoyed it takes so long to start getting regional Pokemon so the variety for the early-game is pretty poor. I don't mind the smaller dex by any means, just seeing a better variety other than Platinum dex plus extras would've been nice, but it's a small flaw in the grand scheme of things.

This game is a big step in the right direction and I can only hope that this becomes more than just a one off and only gets improved upon in the future; easily the most fun I've had with Pokemon game in a while.

Also FUCK the satchel space NPC. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Is there an accuracy modifier in spacetime distortions? I had Quick Attack miss on an Eevee 6 times in a row without it being obscured or anything.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Done with the game for the most part (caught Arceus and completed the rematch). This game was excellent and the use of a bold new formula paid off in creating an engaging and challenging atmosphere. Alpha Pokemon felt very satisfying to interact with - the amount of dread and excitement they gave off felt just right. Space-time rifts are also exciting, although I wish that the pool of Pokemon in there is more unpredictable. Story was definitely an improvement over Gen 4 as well.

I think my two main downsides with this game are: the lack of post-Arceus training goals, and the battle system being awkward. While the game itself has plenty of stuff to do between the numerous sidequests and Pokedex goals, there's very little on the battling side of things. Outside of the 2nd climax, there really isn't much more to prepare for, as there is no Battle Facility, or similarly challenging battles. The Battle System is also something I'm not a fan of and I'm glad this game is single-player only, because it feels so simplified and turns into a revenge-kill fest. It doesn't feel fun at all when your opponent sends out something and immediately erases your Pokemon before you can react. This is slightly less of an issue when maxed ELs just makes everything super tanky, but ELs in general is an unsatisfying system as well.

A minor gripe I have is that the map feels like it doesn't resemble Sinnoh at all outside of the general placement of stuff (snowy north, marshy southeast, etc), and that just about every landmark that has remained in Sinnoh does not resemble their Hisui counterpart (Stark Mountain, Mt Coronet's insides, Wayward Cave, etc). Not that this is a huge issue since Hisui is ancient and a lot of things probably changed since then, and also because replicating Sinnoh's insane mapwork is probably really difficult and unnecessary.

Overall I'm very happy with how this game turned out. While it doesn't crack S-tier for me (that's still reserved for Emerald and Gen 5), it's still quite close to there, and I'm looking forward to how this game can impact future titles. Or whatever future DLCs may happen. Not ready for this battle system to hit pvp stuff though.

I want to point out that Hisui, as we go to it, isn't that ancient. Pokemon is approximately contemporary so with LA being approximately Meiji, it'd be about ~150 years ago

I kind of agree it'd be nice to have more firm geography in spots but you just kind of have to see it like Hyrule where even accounting for time shifting things around itssssss just not gonna line up jsut for the sake of different gameplay (like you say, it'd be really difficult to approach 1;1)

Small observation I haven't seen anywhere: it doesn't seem like attack and defense stat changes stack at all. Casting, say, Calm Mind again refreshes the duration, but doesn't make you deal any additional damage. I'm not sure whether or not a defence debuff will stack with the increased damage from fixation though.

To be specific about what I've been doing:

1. Once outbreak starts, go check if any of the outbreak mons are shiny. If so, catch shiny. Then,

2. Return to a base camp and save. Return to Jubilife.

3. Go to leave Jubilife---if the outbreak for the mon is still going, head in and repeat. If the outbreak has disappeared or is replaced by a different mon, soft reset and try again.
Thank you very very much for this! I don't think I completely cracked it but I managed to use it to get two shiny Teddiursa right after getting Arceus, ironically immediately before I got my shiny charm.

Talking of which! Just finished completing the Pokédex; the only 'major' things left in the game for me are Manaphy, Shaymin, Darkrai, Rank 10 and I guess the old notes Ursaluna finds. I have reached what I would consider absolute completion before bonuses! I basically hunkered down the night I got this game and played non-stop; having left off at about 58 hours playtime.

Now I generally like every Pokémon game that comes out. Some a little less than others (a few pre-third paired versions feel a bit bland, do not like what USUM did to SM's story), but I do find all of them to be fun at worst; the thing about Pokémon always being the same game is that it's the same good game and that's pretty much how it gets by, because you can always guarantee some kind of good time with it and at least some new creatures you'll love. And that's all well and good! But it is basically the same game, and while again I do like say SWSH and XY well enough, they don't do a whole lot for me, you know? And I feel the need to say this whole "I like all the Pokémon games but they do get a bit samey and boring after a while" to emphasise that the main problem I've really had with this series is the formula and pattern it'd gotten itself stuck in rather than the flaws of any individual entry -- and Legends Arceus completely smashed through that and won my heart!

Admittedly it was probably never gonna have a hard time? So much of it is set up to appeal directly to me -- I'm a Gen 4 baby so hell yeah I'll take a game that is so amazingly emphatically in love with Sinnoh rather than starting off a new direction with Kanto again; it feels like a bit of a dream to have any Pokémon game take place in the past and explore a game's history this directly; the main gameplay focus that it expands on greatly from the main games is Pokédex completion which has always been the funnest thing for me to do on any new adventure; they even throw in a new Decidueye form as a starter?? Someone at Game Freak got a portal into my brain or something? New Kami was a bit random though, dunno where you got that from...
So all of this was set up to make me very very happy to begin with, but even beyond that Legends Arceus was continually impressing me with its art direction, all its little touches, the way it recreates the region and dex in an entirely new way which is rough enough that you do see it as the same thing but allowing for natural environmental changes in the years between this and DPPt, how downright cinematic it is, how tough it can be at points (I know you can refight Arceus! I don't think I will any time soon!), how imaginative everything was... it's a bit hard to believe this and SWSH have only a couple years between them, it is nuts just how good this game is and how excited it made me for Pokémon again. I have not been this happy about this series in so long and it turns out all it really needed for me was the best love letter to my childhood region that I could ever hope for.

I don't really know what else to say. I basically cannot believe this game exists; it feels like something plucked straight out of my dreams and like something that could never have happened in the current climate the Pokémon franchise finds itself in, and is so wildly different from what we've been seeing recently that it gives me so much hope for what we might see in the future as well! I'm already hearing that there's reliable leaks of DLC later this year and that this game had the second best launch of any Switch game in Japan, so it certainly looks like a brighter future has been heralded right off the bat for this series. I'm not sure what direction it'll go in in the future (a Kanto-based one seems inevitable, surely? Maybe they'll even create another entirely new type of Pokémon game in another genre?), but suddenly a lot more things seem possible, and I'm very excited for this series again and just really really happy to be playing a Pokémon game. This one knocked it out the park imo!

In case anyone was wondering how "Power Shift Cresselia will manifest by my hand" turned out...

Pre-credits team:
1643943385865.png

• Lopunny, Roserade, and Golduck are all Alpha Pokémon. They did most of the heavy lifting.
  • Beautifly and Bibarel are both Shiny Pokémon. My first outing was blessed.
  • Yes, I did name him Beaugene as seen in Request #1.
Postgame team:
1643943596027.png

• Lopunny and Roserade are still Alpha Pokémon.
  • Beaugene the shiny Beautifly is gritted to high heaven lmao.
  • Cresselia is OP. Lunar Blessing is the best status move in the game, and with Power Shift she can sweep the game's high-end trainers.
  • Enamorus is getting the most action out of anyone to make up for lost time. She's been my ace for dex completion.
  • Shaymin generously started with all his best moves mastered, including Sleep Powder and Earth Power. He is strong and rightly so.
Some other remarks: once Beaugene took out Spiritomb, the rest of Volo's team crumpled to the beast that is Cresselia. It's Giratina that posed the problem. Without a Ghost-resist, I was splashing Revives left and right. Thankfully, Calm Mind Golduck was just tanky enough to buy the team some breathing room. We beat him on the first go.

On the flipside, nothing was more challenging—nay, frustrating—than chasing Tornadus with multiple Alpha Glalie patrolling around him. Maybe I got supremely unlucky with so many oversized Pokémon spawning in his arena, but their ginormous hitboxes and on-sight knockback mechanic made it nearly impossible just to chuck a ball at the guy. I had to jump through some serious hoops just to level the playing field, even if it was worth it in the end.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)