Let's Play! Let's (Try to) Catch 'em All in PMD: Gates to Infinity! (Update 2: Carpenters and Gems)

U0 - GTI Title.PNG

Welcome all! Due to Altissimo taking a long break from burnout and wanting to do other things with her life and me volunteering to take up the reins for her, we decided to hold a poll about who would do the next game in this forum's Mystery Dungeon LPs (found here: http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5ba4185ae4b05a9fecb011f0 . Poll was no longer counted after Sunday 11:59 PM, 9/23/2018 UTC -6). Due to me winning the poll, I'm officially doing at least the LP for this game. Without further ado, let's move on to information about the game and and the run.

About the Game:

Gates to Infinity (GtI or Gates) is the third game (fourth in Japan) in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, released in the 5th Generation. If you've read Alti's other PMD series (and in the LP I will assume you have), you should know what we're getting into. If you haven't, I highly recommend you do. They'll give you lots of information about the series and its gameplay. And also, you'll be supporting her work :) . This all being said, Gates does have its own fair share of changes. While I'll be covering them as I go, in general, the game is a lot easier than its predecessors. Also, this game is generally seen as the black sheep of the PMD series (except maybe the Japan only Wiiware titles, AKA "PMD3" in Japan), and in my opinion, this view is quite deserved. However, it's not all bad and the game does have some redeeming qualities, which will be covered as I go.

Also, requisite copy-paste from Alti's threads:

"Mystery Dungeon is a little bit different from the normal game in that it doesn't have a Pokédex. In other words, it's not enough to register each Pokémon as "caught": the game wants a player trying to "recruit 'em all" to actually do that - to recruit one of each Pokémon, including all the Unown forms, and have them all at the same time. So you'll all get to see me (maybe) descend into insanity as I have to do such things as recruiting Kecleon, the Eeveelutions, Chansey, Ponyta, Jirachi, Exeggcute, and even the ultra-rare Pidgey Kecleon, Dusknoir, Hypno, and some obnoxious Legendaries!" -Altissimo

To add to this, the roster for Gates is much smaller than the previous games. Instead of having all Pokemon officially released available to be recruited, only (according to Bulbapedia) 144 Pokemon are available (and this one of the many points of derision for the game), mostly from Gen 5. While this will make "recruiting them all" much easier, it's going to severely reduce Pokemon variety and provide a shorter and less involved LP. This lack of Pokemon is also reflected in the available starters:

Starter and partner options are: Pikachu, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, and Axew.
I've only played the game once and while I won't share the starters I used (mostly because I don't mind reusing them), I don't have enough experience with them to judge how well they'll do (mostly barring that Snivy, being a Grass type, is probably going to have a hard time as always). Also, due to the game's reduced difficulty, the starters start at Level 7 instead of 5).

The insanity doesn't end here. This game has DLC - the cynical cash grab kind - and locks at least recruiting other starters behind them. I acquired the DLC, however at this time I'm having a hard time getting it to work properly in Citra (it shows up in game, I just can't go to the dungeons proper and the like). So until then, I don't know if I'm going to be able to 100% recruit everything in the game, if that's okay with you people.

About the Run:

As before, I'm going to let community members choose the starters (be thankful for your sake that Totodile does not exist in this game) and possibly their names. I already have an idea for a team name, so yeah. I'll also allow community members to submit nicknames for recruits as they come. There's also some required story recruits later on that while they cannot be nicknamed, I'll allow people to decide if they count for recruiting that species if the story recruit is not a unique species (there's room for 288 recruits in this game according to Bulbapedia, more than enough to recruit another copy of the Mon).

Also, I've played this game grand total of one time before. While I've beaten the story and postgame plot, I never got too far into it afterwards. So I have experience with the game, but have never tried to "Catch 'em all" in the game. So this will be a new experience for me (Bulbapedia will be my friend).

One last thing: I will very most likely be referencing spoilers for the other PMD games in my commentary and analyses. While spoilers for things later down the line in Gates and all spoilers for Super will be hidden behind spoiler tags (Super spoilers will likely get their own form of spoilers), all spoilers for Rescue Team and Explorers will be unmarked (assuming it's not a long section that needs to be collapsible). Do read Alti's threads if you want to be informed of the events of those games. You have been warned.

I'll give this thread some time to give me suggestions for starters and the like. After that, we'll start on the game proper.

Update 0: Introduction
Update 1: Starter Selection and Landowning
Update 2: Carpenters and Gems

Swap - Croagunk (King Feraligatr)
Ask You - Axew (King Feraligatr)
Bolt - Something in the Klink line (Altimisso)

Klink line
Gothita line
Drilbur line
Minccino line
Woobat line
Eevee line
Croagunk line
Glameow line
Bagon line
Pansear line
Pansage line
Panpour line
Golett line
Rufflet line
Joltik line

N/A

Links to Alti's past PMD LPs (please read them if you haven't!): Rescue Team
Explorers

Last edited:
Hello all. I've finally found time to finish this update. Without further ado...

So the image on the top is the title screen with this as the opening music.

Moving on past that, we get to the main menu (Music ), which looks something like this:
U1 - 1 - New Game.PNG

Given that I "removed" my old save file (Citra only allows one active save file per game, even with different copies of the same ROM. Renaming folders is a way to get around that), we have no active save for the game. Only option here is to obviously start a new game.

(Don't know the track for this part :/)
U1 - 2 - Introduction start.PNG

And who is this? (I think I know who it is though.)

(...)
(... ... ...)
More ellipses... (I know I'm no better... Gosh dammit!....)

U1 - 3 - Introduction 2.PNG

So they talk. Good. (I think it's pretty obvious which character this is now.)

(... ... ...)
(Is this...a dream...?)
(Am I... Am I dreaming...?)
I'm pretty sure you are, whoever you are.

*Sound effects play*
(...Oh! What was that?)
(I'm sure of it... That was definitely a voice.)
(Someone... is calling to me...)
Are you sure, though? Can't be too sure. Maybe you're imagining things. And if you're dreaming, what's so odd about someone talking to you in your dream?

U1 - 4 - Intro Voice.PNG

Well, that's certainly not a bit ominous. And it's definitely important, given where how it appears on the screen and all. Maybe our dreamer (the player character) is on to something.

(Mysterious Voice:) (You can now hear my voice...)
(Might you be... ...a human?)
Probably. I mean, that's how it usually works out in this series. Also, I'm guessing there's going to be a personality test with this?

(If you are then please... Listen to my plea.)
(I want you to save the Pokemon world.)
Wow voice! Rude! Just asking the player to save the world like that! And how is a puny human like the player character going to save the world of Pokemon? Not like we have choice..... Better get that personality test rea.....
U1 - 5 - Help!.PNG

The hell was that? That also looks ominous. And something's interfering with the opening narration? I thought these where sacred, albeit never brought up again, things where we get acclimated with the game and choose our character(s). Granted, this intro is seeming more relevant than other ones I've seen in Pokemon games.....

U1 - 6 - Munna Chased.PNG

Well, it looks like we can see the entity responsible for the opening narration for once in these games. And we can also see who interrupted them. I bet we'll meet these Pokemon later. And I know at least one of the antagonists for later in the game (let's file this away, shall we?).... Still, things don't look good for our greeter. (There's other shit I wasn't able to get or show.)

Alas, it also looks like we won't have an easy greeting into the world of Pokemon.

(Music: Choosing Pokemon )
U1 - 7 - What was that..PNG

(What could it mean? Those Pokemon...)
I dunno man. As I said though, I'm sure we'll find out later.

U1 - 8 - Uncanny Human.PNG

And now we see the player character looking at their own reflection. And this is why we don't see humans in person (my word choice....) in the PMD world. They look weird. (it's even worse in a later main menu option)

(...Huh? Wait... That blurry reflection...)
(Could that be...me?)
I do believe it is.

*The player character's reflection distorts*
(... ...!!!)
(Wh-what now?! My reflection... It wavered, and then... shifted...)
(Almost as if I changed somehow)
I can almost guess what that is.

U1 - 9 - Player Selection.PNG

Yep. I was right. At least there's no personality test this time. And we're a Snivy due to fan demand.

To be serious though, I'm in the camp that likes that Gates got rid of the personality test. It really saves me time from resetting, ROM hacking, cheating, or save editing to get what starter I want. Granted, not everyone is happy about the loss of the test (main argument I've heard is that it shreds some of the personality (ha......) of the game. They have a point, but.....). Super has a nice enough compromise between both camps though.

Also, the text speed in this game is awful. It's really quite slow for no good reason. And you can't change it. While you get used to it and writing down the text in the game makes the speed effectively nonexistent in those circumstances, it's going to be annoying for the times I'm not writing down the in game text. Anyways......

U1 - 10 - Player's a Snivy.PNG

(I look like Snivy!)
Indeed you do, friend. And it's all due to your fans' demand. However, it's not all bad. You're a living meme, man (maybe not a good one, but still). Live it up. (Fun fact: Both the player and partner in this game are always male outside Japan, without fail. Why, I don't know. It does make the game even less replayable and less attractive to people who want female starters though.)

U1 - 11 - Snivy's overlooking.PNG

(I really turned into Snivy...)
It's really not bad, man. You get to get strong and beat the crap out of your enemies! And you can do things you couldn't as a boring human. Just avoid your last form if you want to keep your hands though....... And legs........

*A light flashes and the music stops.*
(Huh? What's that light?)
(I don't know why but...)
(I feel as if that voice calling for help..)
U1 - 12 - Snivy sees the light.PNG

It would seem so. Your obvious intuition never fails to surprise me......

(Didn't that voice say something about saving the Pokemon world?)
Indeed it did. And it just laid upon you, just like that. It was quite rude.

The player character goes to investigate the light more and.....
U1 - 13 - Light not nice.PNG

That doesn't seem good.

This is probably the only intro in PMD that really ties into the plot or has relevance after it's done. I don't mind that the others never do, but the extra effort here is appreciated. Good job (here), Spike-Chunsoft.

(Music: Sky Diving )
U1 - 14 - Freefalling.PNG

Indeed. This really does not seem good.

U1 - 15 - Oh Shit!.PNG

OH SHIT! This really does not look good! Do not kill our poor Snivy friend.

The player character falls off the screen and it turns black. He is totally dead. RIP Player Character Snivy: 2018-2018. And that was the shortest game ever. I want my money back.....

U1 - 16 - Snivy's Alive.PNG

Wait. No. He's alive (somehow). Good. And I'm coming after Spike-Chunsoft for putting our friend in mortal danger. It's not cool.

(And yes, like they'd ever actually kill someone in a game like this. Also, Chunsoft and another company called Spike had a merger during the development of this game, hence the differences in both the game design (and I'm not just talking about the 3D!) and well, the name of the company.)

???: H-hey! Are you OK?!
Come on, wake up... Come on!
Who's this? I don't think the player character is in any danger, but still.

Player:(Someone's calling to me....)
(But who could be...)
U1 - 17 - Snivy sees partner.PNG

(...Is that--?)
U1 - 18 - Partner Selection.PNG

Besides the interface telling us, it is indeed! The partner! And he's an Axew due to fan demand.

U1 - 19 - Snivy Awakes.PNG

I'm not okay with how you say okay, but you're not talking to me, so maybe it's OK?

Player: (What?! A P-P-Pokemon--!)
(A Pokemon is...talking to me?!)
It is indeed. And you're only now confused about this? How about the Pokemon you saw in your dream? Wasn't she, a Pokemon, talking to you?

Axew: You sure you aren't hurt or anything?
Miraculously, it only seems the player character got knocked out cold. So it seems they're fine.

Player: (...Th-that's right...)
(I got turned into a Pokemon, so...)
(...I guess I can understand other Pokemon now?)
Serves to reason. That's how it's worked in past games. Then again, I don't expect the player character to know that.

U1 - 20 - Axew Concern.PNG

*Player nods*
...Really?
(Music: Our First Meeting)
Whew, that's a relief!
U1 - 21 - Axew about the sky falling.PNG

Hey, don't rub it in man. Not cool.

(...Out of the sky?)
(Right... Yeah, I think...)
*Screen changes to the sky*
(Then I think I fell for a long time)
*Back to normal*
For a long time? Doesn't seem like it, friend.

Axew: Boy, are you lucky or what!
You haven't got a single scratch after falling all that way? That's fantastic!
Indeed it is. And this just confirms what I said before. The player is fine.

U1 - 22 - Partner, I didn't Axew your name.PNG

I didn't Axew your name, but's appreciated nonetheless (yes, I just did that). Also, does (almost) every Pokemon in this world need to name themselves after their species? Must get really confusing when there's multiple of the same species in the same area. And it also usually prevents us from having multiple relevant members of the same species in games.

What about you? What's your name?
Player: (My name? That's right. My name is...)
How convenient that you remember your name (although that's how it's always worked)! And how come Axew doesn't assume the player character's name isn't Snivy like every other Snivy on this planet? Anyways....

U1 - 22 - My name is King Snek!.PNG

His name is, as can be seen in the picture, King Snek. Snek for short. Fear the name, for he shall rule the world! Also, I know the name is kind of bad --- be quiet!

Axew: King Snek? Your name's King Snek, huh? Well nice to meet you!
But... where'd you come from, King Snek?
Don't think Snek knows more than you do man. But Axew doesn't know that Snek's an amnesiac.

Well, I mean, I know you came from the sky just now...
But I haven't seen you around here before.
So I was asking where you're originally from--where your home is!
Of course it's pretty mysterious how you fell out of the sky like that...
But you can't tell me you actually live up there, right?
Axew uses some logic and then uses even more logic. Dam. He knows what's up (here).

King Snek: (Ha... Well, I suppose not...)
*cut to the sky again*
(But even if I say I came form the other side of the sky...)
(It's not like anyone would believe me. Not anyone normal.)
(If there was at least some sort of hole in the sky or something, then maybe...)
(But I don't want to lie, either...)
(I guess I'll just to go ahead and spill the beans...)
*cut back to normal*
Snek knows what's up as well. And he goes spill those beans.

Axew: WHAAAT?!
U1 - 23 - Once every game......PNG

Once every game...... (I know there's many things they do every PMD game, but this one stood out to me more as being requisite. At least, according to my notes....)

And you got turned into a Pokemon because some voice was crying for help?
So you fell straight outta the human world and into this one?
Weird I know, but I can vouch for Snek on this one. Provided I could actually interact with the characters.

King Snek: *nods*
(...I-I guess it was too much to hope that anyone would believe me.)
Probably. You tried man.

Axew: ... ... ...
Snek: (... ... ...)
On this round of Awkward Silence.....

Axew: *nods* All right. Got it.
I believe you! I believe your story, King Snek!
King Snek: (What? Just like that?)
(Without any proof or anything?!)
Axew believes us? I think Snek's reaction is ours' here. Again though, this is how it's worked every other game..... Also, based on what King Snek said before, Axew apparently isn't normal.

Axew: Sure, I know it's a pretty fantastic story to believe...
Humans don't exist anywhere except in fairy tales, or that's what I always thought.
And it seems totally impossible that a human could just turn into a Pokemon...
...and fall outta the sky one day.
You're mostly right there.

But...you know what I think?
There are lots of mysteries in the world.
But the truth is that maybe...those things aren't really all that mysterious after all...
Maybe they're just things I don't know about yet.
And that's why they seem mysterious.
King Snek: (Wow. That's pretty...open-minded.)
Again, Snek's thinking what I'm thinking.

Axew: That's why I want to learn about all kinds of things and see all kinds of things!
This line should snap you back into to the reality that this is a kids' game.

I want to meet mythical Pokemon that no else has ever seen!
I want to explore ancient ruins and deep caves!
And more than anything, I want to have an adventure!
That's right! I want to be an adventurer!
So, you kind of have the same motivation as the PMD2 partner, except you want to be an "adventurer" rather than an "explorer" (and you have no personal treasure). Also, you said "adventure", as in one. Does that mean, after you have one adventure, you'll stop? Also, last two lines' redundancy is redundant.

And that's exactly why I traveled all the way here to--
*music cuts off*
Well that's not good. See, even the music is saying so!

Aughhh!!!
Argh! I forgot!
Forgot what? Your lunch? Keys? Perfect Apple? Etc.? What?

U1 - 24 - Most Important Meeting.PNG

But what is it for?

*walks over to dungeon entrance*
Augh! I've got to get there ASAP, but...
The path ahead looks really tough. It'll be hard to make it through alone...
Argh... What should I do...
Don't tell me...... Is he thinking about conscripting......

That's it!
King Snek! Please!
U1 - 25 - Will you come with me..PNG

He is! Does Snek get a choice about this? (probably not)

My journey is so close to being over, and everything I want is so near...
But if I don't hurry, I might not make it in time!
What is it though? We need information.

I'm really not sure if I'll be able to make through on my own.
I'm sure you'll be fine.

Gahhh! There's no more time to explain! Just come with me, OK?!
*Pushes Snek in without his consent* (don't have a picture :( )
But where's our faux choice? Where's our information? Snek never signed on for this! Heeeeelllllllppppppp!...........

King Snek: (Whaaaaa?....)
What he said.

Dungeon: Ragged Mountain
(Music. It's not bad and kind of catchy. Also feels adventurous, which fits.)
(While we can't recruit anything right now, future recruitable Pokemon in this dungeon are: Woobat, Drilbur, Minccino, and Klink.)

*Pan around the outside of the dungeon*
Didn't get a picture of any this right now, but I compensate for it later.....

*at the dungeon entrance*
King Snek: (Wow! It's beautiful!)
(It's just bursting with nature here...)
U1 - 26 - Outside of Ragged Mountain.PNG

Do you need to handhold us? Snek's taking in the environment, let him (even if I don't agree with him).

Also, Gates has this feature where some dungeons have outside sections that you can walk around in and have some interaction with. It's a really nice and refreshing feature, if underutilized in my opinion.....

*they walk to a bridge*
Huh?!
U1 - 27 - Didn't Axew about the bridge.PNG

Wow, thank you Captain Obvious. I didn't Axew about the bridge (yes, I did it again!).

What am I gonna do? How am I supposed to get there now?
I dunno, find an alternate way in? I know the readers didn't see it yet (sorry), but the beginning pan around showed a cave entrance not too far way from where you're at. Then again, maybe you two didn't notice it.

*spots an entrance to the cave* (no picture :( )
Ah!
Looks like there's no choice but to try going through there.
Let's go, King Snek!
U1 - 28 - Through the entrance.PNG

Now I have a picture of the entrance!

U1 - 29 - Finally Gameplay! Status screen..PNG

Finally we have gameplay! And I don't have to write down everything the Pokemon say! Now would be a good time to show off some of the gameplay changes in Gates. First things first: the Belly stat and IQ skills are gone (well mostly for Belly). Team Skills are the replacement of the IQ skills. We don't have any right now though, so I won't be going over it at the moment. Also, gone is the ability to use the touch screen as much in the gameplay.

U1 - 30 - moves screen.PNG

Moving onto the moves screen, the only thing that's immediately noticeable is that moves have a button assigned to them. In this game and beyond, to use a move, you use L+whatever the assigned button is (instead of sifting through menus or just using L+A to use a set move). It's definitely faster. Also, linked moves are gone. This also has a replacement later in the game which I will cover later. Also, regular attacks have been mega nerfed into nigh uselessness and only do a flat 5 damage at all times (RIP). This will also be compensated a later by future mechanic though.

U1 - 31 - options screen grrr.....PNG

And the last menu I shall be showing is the options menu. While there's some removed and added options, the only thing that stands out is that there's no way to make the text speed faster! >:( (Like I said earlier, but I wanted to make sure you people saw. And I know no past PMD games had the option, but their text speed wasn't so insufferably slow that I cared.)

And about how I feel about all these changes:
  • I personally like the loss of the Belly stat. I found it annoying and limiting, to the point that I use cheats on PMD1 and 2 to effectively remove it.
  • I'm not a fan of the loss of IQ skills. They allowed for more advancement, diversification, and personalization of your Pokemon (esp. in PMD2). Sure they where a pain to grind, but as we will see, Team Skills aren't any better.
  • Being able to quickly use your moves is nice since I'm playing on an emulator and don't have to worry about my L button breaking (easily). If I was on a 3DS, I might be more mixed.
  • RIP regular attacks. While you could get cheesy powerful later in the game in PMD1 and 2, you didn't deserve this nerf. You have my condolences.
  • As you already heard me say, fuck the text speed.
Anyways, I continue through the dungeon, going through useless tutorial messages. And then I get to the next floor......

U1 - 32 - the tree.PNG

We see an interactable tree. Some of these outdoor dungeon sections have things you can interact with. I don't consider them puzzles, given how linear and obvious they are, but they're still nice, if also underutilized.

We walk up to the tree, interact with it, and.....
U1 - 33 - The tree falls.PNG

The tree obviously falls and we move onto the the next cave entrance.

After some more dungeon crawling and tutorials we reach the last area....
Axew: All right, we finally made it to the other side!
We're almost there now! Let's give it our all!
U1 - 34 - the entire dungeon.PNG

Where we are at and the view of the entire dungeon's outside as I said I'd do.

(going to continue this in another post as I'm getting concerned about the size of this post and how much the forum system can handle in one post. Ignore the attachment. I fucked up and I don't know how to remove it....)

Attachments

Last edited:
(Fun fact: Both the player and partner in this game are always male outside Japan, without fail. Why, I don't know. It does make the game even less replayable and less attractive to people who want female starters though.)
HI!!!!! HI YES YOU CALLED!!!! that is literally the only reason why i never played it when it first came out and i am still angry about that to this day

anyway good stuff so far! the game kind of Plots at you immediately which is. interesting

Continuing on......

We walk a little further and reach the dungeon exit:
U1 - 35 - The end of the dungeon.PNG

We exit and also get to save. Also, the game shows us a message new to this game:
U1 - 36 - have some rest message.PNG

If I wasn't playing this as a LP, I'd ignore this. Since I'm playing this as a LP, it's tempting given how much time I've spent copying dialogue and taking picture. However, since I was a masochist and wanted to cram more in, I did indeed ignore it and moved on.

(No music)
U1 - 37 - at the crossroads.PNG

I've finally made it!
Where though? And excuse me! Where's King Snek's credit?

I couldn't have done it without you, King Snek! I really owe you one!
Much better.

*runs a bit to where he needs to go. It's to the right.*
Now I've gotta hurry!
I'm pretty sure the letter said it was this way...
*they go where Axew needs to go in earnest*
Still not telling us what you're here for, but oh well.

U1 - 38 - the future paradise.PNG

Well. This is where we need to be? I dunno about this, it's quite desolate.

U1 - 39 - Meeting Quagsire.PNG

This is who we're meeting? Okay, but why?

Quagsire: Hmm? I'm Quagsire, hmm?
I can see that.

I'm the one who, mmm, manages the land around here.
Is it you then, hmm? You're, mmm, Axew?
Who knows man? He could be any random Axew. You sure you got the right one?

Axew: Yup, that's me.
Quagsire: Hm-hmm! I thought so! Thanks for coming so far, hmm?
Still could be any random Axew man. Anyways....

It seems that, waiting here, was, hmm, worth it after all.
I've just been standing around here by myself, hmm?
But it was so boring that I was, mmm, thinking of heading home soon.
But now that you're here...
*shows badlands*
Hmm... Are you really sure about this?
About what, Axew? What's going on here?

It's really, mmm, desolate. And there's nothing here..
Yeah, we saw that.

U1 - 40 - QMD.PNG

Title drop. Also, what does even mean? And also man, you don't know this, but you wouldn't even exist if these mystery dungeons (sorry, Mystery Dungeons) didn't. Previous games and all.

You can't count on anything as expected in this kind of place, hmm?
Again, what does this mean?

*cut to normal*
Axew: I know! That's exactly what I'm hoping for, in fact.
I brought the Poke with me.
Wait, you're wealthy, Axew? You didn't tell us this!

Quagsire: Hmm. You're sure you won't regret this? Then here you go. Your, hmm, deed.
Wait, Axew's going to?.......

U1 - 41 - We're landowners!.PNG

And just like that! We're land owners! It's not the best real estate, but we can make it work. Oh the plans for world domination I could carry out with this land.....

This land now belongs to you, hmm?
You can, mmm, do whatever you'd like with it.
*Quaqsire walks off*
Well there you go! He said it! We can do anything with it now! World domination here we come!

(Music: Mission Clear!)
U1 - 42 - happy axew.PNG

And here we see happy Axew. I don't care either way about it, but I thought you readers might.

From this day forth...this is gonna be my Paradiiiiise!!!
A Paradise for evil? And your Paradise? Excuse me! Snek helped you out here. You wouldn't have gotten here without his help.

*beat*Ah...
S-sorry for getting all worked up by myself...
Thank you. And since you apologized, it's alright.

You remember how I said I wanna learn all kinds of things and see all kinds of things?
There's that word choice again.......

To be an adventurer, right?
This right here is the starting point for making all that come true!
Potentially a weird way of doing it, but alright. But you'll be done after one adventure, right? So why bother?

My dream...is to make a paradise for us all. A Pokemon Paradise.
A paradise for evil Pokemon only right? What you're saying isn't sounding evil.

King Snek: ...A Pokemon Paradise?
Axew: Yeah. I'm gonna make this the kind of paradise you could only dream about!
I'm skeptical of Axew's claim here. And yes, Snek actually talks here. Not just thinks. Talks.

The Mystery Dungeons are spreading around here...
You never know what might happen on land like this.
I'm sure we'll be fine.

There are a lot of Pokemon who hate uncertainty...
Well, I can't blame them.....

..but to me it just means an exciting adventure could sprout up at any time!
Gosh dammit Axew.

I'm going to have all kinds of adventures and find lots of other Pokemon like me...
And then when we work hard together...
...we'll be able to live the kind of life that'll really make you feel alive!
A real paradise! That's my dream!
Again, you're sounding decidedly not-evil. I don't think our motives align.

I've been saving up all my Poke for just that. And now I've found the perfect land!
Well, really it's more like everywhere else was just too expensive.
So I didn't really have much of a choice...
Yeah, things kind of work out like that. It sucks.

But...this is going to be the start of all my dreams!
King Snek: (Wow... So Axew has those kinds of big dreams, huh?)
(It sure is nice to have a dream...)
(Just hearing him talk about it is enough to make me excited, too!)
Ugh........ I'm not much for sentiment, if you can't tell. Also, here we go. Partner is a confirmed guy.

U1 - 43 - Once a game.....PNG

They have to do this once per game...... Still, it's not a bad question here. I think King Snek will want to take over the world! Maybe. Let's hope so.

Do you have somewhere to go?
Didn't we go over this before? I highly doubt he does.

King Snek: (... ... ...)
Axew: Listen, if you don't have anywhere to go...
Why not consider helping me out?
How about you help me make my Paradise, King Snek?
It's as good an offer as any. I mean, who can pass up the chance to own land? As long as you agree to be evil, Axew, sure.

Snek: (What?!)
Axew: There's no way I can do it all by myself...
Axew's not wrong here.

So I've been planning to get more Pokemon to join me over time anyway.
Our motives align here at least!

What do you think, King Snek? Will you help me out?
I don't think I have a choice.....

*music clears*
Snek: (Hmm... What should I do?)
(I'm still...kind of worried about that cry for help that I heard, but...)
But yeah, you can handle it later. Plot and all.

(It's not like I have any more clues about what it meant now...)
(And I don't have anywhere else to go...)
(So then...)
(Maybe I really should just stay with Axew for the time being?)
(Maybe, if I'm lucky along the way.)
(I'll figure out what it is I should do...)
(All right!)
Didn't even get a faux choice. Thanks a lot, game.

U1 - 44 - yes really.PNG

Yes, really. It's not like we have a choice. And I need your land to take over the world.

*becomes really happy again like above*
YES! Thanks, King Snek!
We're gonna be great friends! We'll be a great team!
So, King Snek, now that we're officially friends and all...
You can make being friends official?

If you want to give me a nickname... Well that would be OK!
What do you think? You got something?
Wait?! What?! You're letting us do this?! Dude, your name is uncreative, but it's your name! We don't have the legal authority to change your name anyways. Yet.

U1 - 45 - Should I be doing this..PNG

Anyways, we indulge and give him a name. Especially so he stands out in both the plot and compared to other Axew. I know the name isn't creative, but naming isn't my strong suit. Plus, it's simple, short, and fits. And I can take it at least somewhat seriously (I had other ideas as well, like Ask You). I know King Snek's name is a thing!

Draco:
Draco? All right then, Draco it is!
Call me Draco from now on!
That's it! I'm gonna have everyone else call me that from now on, too!
Whoa man! Slow down! And how about everyone else who knows you as Axew? How are you going to get to word out to them? And wait until they hear why you adopted that name.....

*walks off a bit*
I'm definitely gonna make my dreams come true! Just you watch!!!
*dances around a lot in the background*
U1 - 46 - draco happy background.PNG

(I can't help feeling like I made the right choice!)
But will he make the right choice and be evil with us?

(But still... I can't believe I turned into an actual Pokemon...)
It's kind of...... what happens to humans that come to this world in the series.

(It all started when I heard that voice in my dream...)
(...and the next thing I noticed, my body had been transformed.)
(That's right...)
*Hydreigon chasing Munna cutscene.*
(I wonder if that poor Pokemon I heard is all right?)
(How could I forget her? I've gotta help her somehow... but how?)
I'm sure she'll be fine.

(Hmm... All I have now are questions without answers...)
(I don't even know for sure if I came to this world to save that Pokemon)
Oh come on man, we both know deep down that you did.

(And besides)
(Staying here with Draco...)
(That sure seems like it lead to a lot of adventures!)
But remember, he only wants to go on an adventure. As in one. He's done after that. Also, staying here will allow us to launder the resources needed to rule the world!

(I feel like something great is waiting in store for me!)
Probably. It is a video game after all.

*music ends*
Draco: King Snek! Let's do our best together!
I know there's nothing here now...but...
*cuts to the badlands*
U1 - 47 - This is it.PNG

Our badlands?

This is the place!
*cut to normal*
This is going to be our...
PARADISE!!!!!
U1 - 48 - our paradise.PNG

(Picture is late, I know. Also, cue a tune I don't have.)

U1 - 49 - Title.PNG

(Music: Title Intro )
Real title drop.

Oh, and look, we unlocked a (useless on an emulator) menu option:
U1 - 50 - menu unlock.PNG

U1 - 51 - Night Time.PNG

Ah, night time.

Draco: ...
U1 - 52 - Pre going to sleep.PNG

Maybe? I don't know???? Time never advances later on if I fuck around on the overworld, so I can't tell.

There's nothing here at all... I mean, of course there's not, but...
Well...I guess we'll just have to camp out for the night...
That doesn't sound right for us landowners! That's for the people that use our land! When we rule the world, we shall have our revenge!

*sleepytime*
U1 - 53 - We're freezing here!.PNG

I guess so? Dude, again I can't tell. I'm not in the game with you two. However, if it's as cold as you say it is, Grass and Dragon types like you two wouldn't like it (however, even an Oshawott or Tepig would say this).

I guess the first thing we need to do, is build a house.
How though? Do you still have money, or did you blow your life's savings on this land?

Snek: (That's true...)
(If it started raining now, we'd be in a real mess!)
(I'd like to be able to keep out the rain and wind, at least...)
You two don't really have to worry about rain. Wind might be a problem for you though, Snek.

Draco: Let's think about building a house tommorow, yeah?
Sleep tight...King Snek...
*fade out*
Night you two.

*day time*
*Quagsire comes in and awakes the sleeping landowners.*
U1 - 54 - rise and shine.PNG

I came to see how you two were surviving, hmm?
What? Surviving?! Rude word choice! You hinted at it before, but you knew this land was rigged, right? Also, no coming onto our land without paying 1000 Poke upfront.

Did you sleep well last night, hmm?
Draco: Morning, Quagsire... And no, not really...
It was a little chilly.
Turns out it's pretty tough to stay outta the wind when you've got no walls.
Yeah, kind of.

So we're thinking that we'd really like to build a house...
But we don't really know where to start.
At least he admits that he has no idea what he's doing.

Quagsire: Hmm! Well, if it's a house you're after--!
I think there should be a carpenter or three somewhere in Post Town, hmm?
And this is the first mention of this trade in PMD. Then again, this series isn't really good at worldbuilding..... Also, what kind of name is Post Town?

Draco: Huh? Really?!
Yes, really. I think.

Quagsire: Mm-hmm.
If you ask them, they should be able to build you a house, hmm?
Post Town is just a, mmm, quick walk from here. Want to check it out, hmm?
I guess we have no choice.

Draco: Yeah!
U1 - 55 - going to post town.PNG

Yeah, we really don't have a choice.

Let's find a carpenter to build us a house!
U1 - 56 - wlaking with quagsire.PNG

These carpenters have no idea what's coming to them. Mwhahahahahahahaha!

Next time on PMD: Gates to Infinity:
King Snek, Draco, and Quagsire will head to Post Town. Will they find a carpenter and get a house? Will they get a good price on the house? All I know is that there will be more railroading, tutorials, and slow ass text speed. Find out more next time!

And there we finally go with the first update for Gates! It took a long ass time to write and set this all up. Too long. So I'll probably be going at a slow pace with this LP. Spending ~10 hours on one update obviously takes up a lot of time.

Anyways, this is my first LP ever. Feel free to give me feedback on how I'm doing, my commentary, content, amount of pictures, etc (potentially expect more bad Axew puns though). And do feel free to give me recruit names. I'll probably have the main post have a section about potential recruits so you know what we can recruit in this game.

Last edited:
buying a patch of seemingly useless land seems like a bizarre way to start an game but ok. I do love how the team was just sleeping out in the open for lack of anything else to do lol

Name someone in the Klink line Bolt lol

Last time we left off, we saw King Snek, Draco, and Quagsire leaving to Post Town to find some carpenters to build them a house. Let's rejoin them where we last saw them, shall we?

*they walk almost this entire time*
u2 - 1 - rude quag.PNG

Wow man! There's that rudeness again! Don't forget that you used to own this place! (Though it could be reason he wanted to sell it... Not like he'll get away with this rudeness when we rule the world!)

This way, hmm. ~
Hmmm ~ Hmmm ~ Hmmm ~
Hmmm ~ Hmmm ~ Hmmm ~ Hmm-hmm! ~
That's a lot of humming. Why do we have to be beholden to it?

U2 - 2 - quag shows crossroads.PNG

This is a highway? Whatever you say man.

Also, we've seen this before, but this is our requisite place where we select which dungeon we want to go to (when we aren't going on a job --- more on when it comes). I know it's pretty obvious, but I just wanted to be thorough here.

And so Post Town was built as a, hmm, nice rest stop for all those Pokemon.
Story of a lot of settlements' existence, really. Still doesn't explain the name.

*camera pans up, the group looks in the direction of Post Town*
Post Town is just this way, hmm?
Let's go check it out, hmm?
I guess we should. Still not like we have a choice anyways....

(Music: Come On in to Post Town!)
This is probably my least favorite theme for a main settlement in PMD. It's not as universal and timeless (ha.....) as Treasure Town and isn't as memorable Pokemon Square or Super's main settlement themes. I wouldn't say Post Town's theme is bad, just forgettable (which is how a lot this game feels to me).

u2 - 3 - enter post town.PNG

Well, we're here! Let's see if it lives up to the hype.

*pan around the town*
u2 - 4 - chiccino shop.PNG
u2 - 5 - rampardos shop.PNG

We'll go over these shops in a moment.

u2 - 6 - post town overview.PNG

Bit of an overview of the town. Again, we'll go over things soon.

*cut back to normal*
Draco: Wow... I would've expected it to be quieter somehow, but...
I dunno, its seems pretty quiet to me.

It's surprisingly lively here, isn't it?
Again doesn't look like it to me. Also...
Lively Town is in the next game! Not this one!

Quagsire: Mm-hmm. This town is quite famous for having the best water...
...so visiting Pokemon all drink their fill and wash away their fatigue, hmm?
Ooooookkkkkaaaaayyyyy?????........ If you say so man.

I suppose that's why everyone tends to gather here, hmm?
That's a bit antithetical to what you said earlier. And Pokemon can find water and relax in it anywhere, especially, well, Water types (like yourself).

There are a lot of, mmm, shops and things, too.
This is the more likely reason why Pokemon are here. Trade fuels settlements more than just water. Though selling your supposedly famous water could be decent way to bring in the Poke........

u2 - 7 - deposit box.PNG

You can deposit your items and Poke there and then, hmm, take them out later.
He basically explained it, but we'll go over it more shortly. Also, RIP the bank and storage. You will be missed.

u2 - 8 - kecleon shop.PNG

Only 8 on any one day though.... Yep, here's the Kecleon shop. Not much has changed, except this time there's no purple Kecleon anymore. RIP. Also, you can't recruit Kecleon in this game, so there's very little point in pissing off those murderous SOBs in dungeons anymore.

*cut to normal*
There's also the inn and its restaurant, mmm, and all kinds of places.
You should feel free to use any of the shops you'd like, hmm?
Okay. As soon as we're free from this cutscene we'll consider that.

*music stops*
???: What're you doing?
Well, this doesn't seem good. Even the music agrees.

u2 - 9 - fight in the town square.PNG

Fight, fight! Do what you made to do! Roggenrola, use your Rock attacks on Ducklett! Ducklett, you use those Water attacks on Roggenrola! You both the type advantage! Go! Oh sorry, I totally did not encourage these two to beat the snot out of each other until they faint. That totally isn't the point of Pokemon. No siree.

That hurt, you oaf!
Maybe Ducklett is just challenging you to a duel? En garde Roggenrola! Nope. Totally not encouraging violence in Pokemon. Not a chance.

Ducklett: All I did was brush you with my beak! What's the big deal?!
Okay???? It would make more sense if it was your wing or something that's actually on Roggenrola's level. Still, knock each other out! Literally!

Don't go throwing a fit over every little bump!
Murder his ass! I'm a total pacifist. I have no idea what you're insinuating. Encouraging violence? Between Pokemon? Unthinkable!

Roggenrola: *turns away* Hmph!
Ducklett: *also turns away* Hmph!
*both walk away*
Aww...... It doesn't look like they're to fight..... Well, it looks they aren't going to fight...... That's...... good........

*pan to normal*
King Snek: (Whoa... They seem a bit touchy...)
(And none of the other Pokemon even tried to step in...)
Yeah, it's called Bystander Syndrome. It's a thing. And I know don't why the other Pokemon have to step to solve these problems.

u2 - 10 - edgy.PNG

I don't know. The only frame of reference I have for this at this moment was that little scuffle. Not too much to get by on.

It seems the strife between Pokemon just, hmm, keeps growing worse.
From what I, mmm, hear, it seems everyone's nerves are a bit strained...
Why though? Things look fine to me.

Some Pokemon even think it's because of the spread of the Mystery Dungeons, hmm?
Doubt it. Again, this series wouldn't exist without them, and as a consequence, these Pokemon wouldn't either.

Hmm. But who can really say for sure?
Glad to hear that you truly don't know either.

Draco: You're right. Relationships between Pokemon are definitely sour these days.
More and more Pokemon are only looking out for themselves...
There's a thing in storytelling called "Show, don't Tell". The idea is that you're supposed to Show the audience important things as compared to just Telling them about it. Well here, while I've seen a bit of Showing, I mostly feel like I'm being Told things. I don't have enough frame of reference to agree with Draco's statement even though it seems I'm supposed to. I feel like I'm being cheated out of things I should have enough frame of reference for. At least for now.

I'm aware Gates goes more into this "despair" theme later. Still, throughout the game, it seems like there's more Telling than Showing in the game. Still, at least Gates tries to support its "negativity and despair" theme so its final boss's and the game's overall theme can work. Compare this to Super, which rehashes it out of nigh nowhere with nigh no support, just because Spike-Chunsoft was creatively lazy (and wanted to recycle final boss arenas).

Did you see how no one even tried to stop that fight just now?
There's just no trust between Pokemon anymore...
If you say so....

I wish everyone would be friendlier, but....
Pokemon (and people. Especially people.) are assholes. It's just the way the world works. (I'm way too cynical for this game.)

Quagsire: The world does seem a bit dark these days, hmm? Though I wish it weren't...
While I fail to see support for this in the game yet, the world being shitty is just how things are. You can't change it.

Well, never mind all that, hmm? You two needed, mmm, a carpenter, right?
Back to business? Good. And yeah, Quagsire, that's why we're here.

I'll go have a look around, hmm?
While I do that, you two can, hmm, check out the town.
All right sounds good. We'll get back to you as soon as the cutscene that has us touring the town ends and leads directly into the cutscene of you finding a carpenter begins. It's all scripted out for us, you see?

Draco: All right! Thanks, Quagsire!
*Quagsire walks off*
See you soon man. Even if you are rude at times.

Advice Bulletin: Whenever you're in Post Town or Paradise...
u2 - 11 - save anywhere.PNG

When you want to do that, just open the menu and save!
I normally wouldn't show a thing like this, but this shows off a nice change in Gates. Instead of only being able to save in your bed/the crossroads/a Kangaskhan Rock, this game allows you to save anywhere on the overworld. Cuts down on some tedium. But if we're getting this message, then.....

u2 - 12 - open post town gameplay.PNG

My gosh! It is! The game is letting us wander a bit! Later Pokemon games like never let us wander until the tutorials are done. Granted, we're still pretty constrained at the moment (I can't leave this map and as soon as we walk over to the Cafe, the next cutscene will happen.)

Anyways, open roaming means no need to take down dialogue but means from suffering from the slow ass text speed in full force! Fun and fun!

Anyways, I said I'd go into more detail about some of the new things, and well, here we go. (I never make promises though!)

u2 - 13 - deposit box interface.PNG

As stated before, this is the Deposit Box, essentially a composite replacement for the banks and Kangaskhan Storage. Item storage works more like PMD1, where you had stacks for all items instead each individual item taking up one space. However, held items work like they do in PMD2, so yeah. Also, treasure boxes get their own storage area now. Probably because they need to be stored individually if they want to retain the item associated with them across storing and and withdrawing.

Money storage works the same, except you can only hold 9999 Poke on your person at any time. Also, losing in most dungeons does not have you lose money. At all. Dumbing down and too easy much, Gates? You still lose some items though, albeit less than previous games. GG, Spike-Chunsoft /s.

u2 - 14 - the box buster.PNG

As you can see, this is the Box Buster, ran by Rampardos (man Snek looks big compared to him. Nice sense of scale, Spike-Chunsoft /s.). Essentially he's the replacement for Xatu Appraisal in this game (makes me wonder how my item is intact once he smashes its box though). He's not open now for some lame reason I can't really remember. I think he said he smashed his shop up too much or something (it looks fine to me though).

u2 - 15 - gift shop.PNG

This here is a new shop, obviously called the Gift Shop and ran by a Cinccino. When this shop opens, Cinncino will sell us gifts that will help us recruit Pokemon (I've never used them, so I don't know how they work exactly). However, as I hinted, this shop is also closed for lame reasons. Something about lack of wrapping paper or something like that. Also, Rampardos has a one way crush on Cinccino.

. To you shippers out there, I'll be open here and now: it fortunately (from my perspective) never goes anywhere. So we won't have a game bogged down too much with lovey-dovey shit. I'll be open here with another thing: I'm an aro ace, or aromantic asexual. If you don't know that means, it means I don't care about those types of relationships (among other things. However, I'm far more hostile to those types of relationships than what be normal in these groups.). So, just FYI going forward.

Anyways, I'm going to return to the main menu and show off a few things.

u2 - 17 - current main menu.PNG

This is what our current main menu looks like. The only option I'm going to be concerning myself with is the Wonder Mail option right now. (also, occasionally the top menu will do a wave effect with the boss icons with the player character smiling. Probably would be a nice effect for people not as hardened as me. Also, I know the play time is high. It's what happens when you don't pause the game much when writing down dialogue. Citra doesn't have a convenient and fast way to pause the game :( .)

u2 - 16 - wonder mail shit.PNG

The Wonder Mail system has be overhauled for this game. Instead of them being robust and controlling missions, they instead are preset 8 character passwords that you can use to get some items. Barring some laziness on the part of Spike-Chunsoft, I can only guess that this was partially done to combat Wonder Mail generator abuse (like what was done with the PMD1 and 2 runs.). Most of the passwords for the US version can be found here it seems: https://www.gamespot.com/pokemon-mystery-dungeon-gates-to-infinity/cheats/ . I went ahead and put in the passwords for the Protein, Iron, Sitrus Berry, PP Manual, Joy Ribbon, and Gold Scope. I'll save the rest for the post game. What's that? I was complaining about the game being too easy and I'm not helping the problem by getting free and cheap items? I have no idea what you're talking about. Be nice and don't accuse people of stuff like that.

If you're wondering what the PP Manual and Gold Scope do, let's just say we'll find out later. I didn't even want to get the Gold Scope right now, but I needed something to show off the new Wonder Mail system.....

Anyways, we head back to the main menu and continue the game are greeted with this....
u2 - 18 - story so far.PNG

This is a thing unique to Gates. It's essentially what it looks like: it gives you a reminder of what has happened in the story since you last played. Given the more casual nature of this game, it seems to fit its pick up and play nature (especially since they think we have the memory of goldfish at times in this series.). I'm not going to be showing this off all the time (or maybe at all after this), but I'd thought I show its existence.

Also, this game does not use chapters like PMD2. I like it better that way --- it's harder to tell what will happen next in the story.

Anyways, we go back into the game and walk towards the Cafe, which initiates the next part of the plot.
(No music)
u2 - 19 - there you are.PNG

*looks to the side*
Those two Timburr over there are the carpenter's, mmm, apprentices.
Wait! There's two relevant members of a species in this game? We don't see that often in PMD. Let me guess their names......

You should ask them about your house, hmm?
*they walk over*
u2 - 20 - hello there.PNG

Well, these two are the Timburr (Yes, they're both named Timburr.). There's almost nothing to differentiate them, so they'll be referred to Timburr and Other Timburr on a first come, first serve basis per scene in this LP.

*Timburr look at them*
Where's you, mmm, master?
Timburr: What? Our "master"?
Do you mean...the boss?
The way "boss" is used here is making me wary.

u2 - 21 - the boss.PNG

(this is the Other Timburr speaking.)

Draco: Your "boss" is the carpenter, right?
We want to build a house.
Could you take us to meet your boss?
*The Timburr look at each other and nod*
Timburr: We certainly can.
Didn't Quagsire tell them what we where here for? Anyways, that was easier than expected.

Other Timburr: C'mon then. Don't dawdle or nothin'.
*the Timburr run inside.*
Did he just....... He did! He committed a crime against grammar! No one uses a double negative on my watch! He'll pay for this outrage! Grammar Police to the rescue!

Quagsire: Hmm, looks good. Good luck with the carpenter, hmm?
I'll be waiting out here, hmm?
Okay, you do that. Look, you've been a big help despite some rudeness, but you're letting a grammar criminal get away! What kind of fiend are you, Quagsire?! I know we're evil, but dam man, we can't let grammar criminals prosper.

Draco: Yeah! Thanks!
*the team goes into the Cafe*
u2 - 22 - inside the cafe.PNG

I dunno, let them tell us? Grammar Police! Don't move!

Is that him?
Who?

u2 - 23 - swanna's not the boss.PNG

In what would does that look like a carpenter, huh?
That over there's Swanna.
She owns this place. She's in charge.
While it would have been a nice twist to have Swanna be the carpenter (who says she couldn't do it?), it's too early in the game for it to be pulling any creative twists like that. A shame. Also, I question the word choice on how Timburr refers to Swanna in the third sentence.......

Other Timburr: You'll see our boss just over there...
u2 - 24 - the REAL boss.PNG

Well, here's our carpenter. I can't say his species was too unexpected. Now let's see how good he is.

*close up on Gurdurr*
Gurdurr: GURDUUURRRRR!!! *roar*
He just does this for whatever reason. He slams his beam on the ground and roars his name. I have no idea why.

*cut to normal*
(music: The Carpenter of Post Town)
Timburr: L-listen up...
The boss has a bit of a vicious temper. Mind your manners.
I can see that by his random outburst not too long ago. Well, let's hope this goes well.

*They walk over Gurdurr*
Yep, he does it again.

u2 - 25 - meeting gurdurr.PNG

Rude man! Can almost make it questionable how people put up with you.

*Timburr run back*
Timburr: Eek!
Oh man. You just had to do it. You just had to scare them for no reason (granted, they should be used to this, but....). Some nice boss you are, Gurdurr. One of the Timburr is a grammar criminal as well, but still.

Gurdurr: What do you two want?
Timburr: H-hey, Boss... S-see, these folks here...
I get that you're defusing the situation man, but let us speak. Or let Draco speak, speaking that he's way more talkative than Snek.

Gurdurr: Hey? What's this? You got some kinda job for me?
Yep. Take it away Draco.

u2 - 26 - want to build a house.PNG

I think we can do it, but we need a carpenter...
We heard you were a carpenter, so that's why we're here!
You heard him. Now give into our demands so he'll stop talking about this!

*zoom in on Gurdurr*
Gurdurr: ...
*cut to normal*
Draco: Um... We would of course be paying you for your help.
How much did you spend on that land anyways?

We really need a place to live.
Please... Won't you help use build our home?
Please mister! We're cold and sleeping in conditions unfit for landowners like ourselves. Please accept our offer! We totally aren't trying to take over the world and totally won't work you like a slave.

*zoom in on Gurdurr*
Gurdurr: ... ... ...
*cut to normal*
Timburr: So, uh, wh-what do you think, Boss?
*cut music*
*zoom in on Gurdurr*
Gurdurr: ...
... ...
... ... ...
*cut to normal*
Timburr: Uh... B-Boss?
On this round of Awkward Silence - Embarrassed by Your Boss Edition (TM).

*zoom in on Gurdurr*
He does it again..... He needs to see someone possibly.

*Timburr run back*
Timburr: Eek!
Again, while they should be used to this, Gurdurr doesn't seem like the best Pokemon to work for.

*zoom in on Gurdurr*
Gurdurr: *nods* All right. I'll do it.
Barring some blowups, that was easy.

*cut to normal*
(music: Our First Meeting)
Draco: Really?
Yeah, r......

Gurdurr: Yeah, really.
Wow, I don't have to do it this time. Thanks Gurdurr.

I'm a carpenter, ain't I? We craftsmen stick to our word.
Are you sure there's some rule that you have to do that as a craftsperson? I'm skeptical. Sure, you might follow that line of thinking, but that doesn't mean every craftsperson keeps their word. Especially if Pokemon are supposedly getting more on edge.

Draco: Th-thank you!
*zoom in on the team*
All right, King Snek!
We're gonna build a house!
Correction. Gurdurr and the Timburr will build our house. That's why we came to them in the first place.

*cut to normal*
We're going to need Poke to build a house, right?
Serves to reason.

We don't have any yet, but we're gonna work hard to save some up.
You really did blow all your money on that land......

*zoom in on Gurdurr*
Gurdurr: Naw. Don't need any Poke.
I sense a catch (ha......). Not many work for free.

I want you to bring me somethin' else instead.
There's this place nearby called Stony Cave.
u2 - 27 - the quest.PNG

I knew it! Requisite fetch quest is requisite. While I don't expect you to work for free, what you're asking us for seems odd..... Poke seems like it would be more universally useful.

*cut to normal*
Draco: Gems?
Yes, gems. Though, as I said before, it sounds odd.

*zoom in on Gurdurr*
Gurdurr: Yeah, that's right. They're blue stones, got it?
I thought they where gems? I mean, gems are probably stones, but consistent terminology man.

We're gonna need materials to build you that house.
I'll need those blue gems to swap for building supplies at the lumberyard.
Weird currency to use there.......

You'll spot the gems if you go far enough into Stony Cave.
That means if someone wants a house, they should just farm these gems in Stony Cave!

Uh, lemme see... Yeah, about five little ones should do it, I'd say.
How valuable are these gems anyways?

If you go and get me some gems, I can trade 'em for whatever you need.
Then we can build your little house.
If you say so........

u2 - 28 - get the gems right.PNG

Yes, Draco. Stop repeating things for our convenience!

*zoom in on the team*
Let's go King Snek!
*cut to normal*
Thanks, Gurdurr! Thanks, Timburr!
*they leave the Cafe*
Well, yeah, if we want that house and world domination, we probably should get moving.

(Music: Come On in to Post Town!)
u2 - 29 - how'd it go.PNG

Pretty fine, it seems. Could have been way worse.

Draco: Things are looking up! The carpenter accepted our offer!
If we'll just go the Stony Cave and get him the gems he wants...
...he'll help us build a house!
I haven't said this before, but this is sounding too easy. Could just be Gates being easy like always though.

Quagsire: Mm-hmm. Sounds peachy, hmm?
You can reach Stony Cave from the crossroads up ahead, hmm?
Of course you can! It's only the dungeon hub!

Draco: Great! Then we'll be off at once!
Sounds good.

*The group walks off.
u2 - 30 - timburr try to warn us.PNG

Yes? We where about to do what your boss told us to do. So what could be now? It doesn't seem good though.

Draco: Huh? Timburr? What is it?
What he said.

Timburr: ...
... ...
Draco: Uh... Was there something you needed to tell us?
Again, what he said.

Timburr: N...no. It's nothing.
Are you sure? It doesn't seem like it.

Other Timburr: Yeah, forget it.
Just go and get those gems already.
We where about to do that before you interrupted us!

Draco: We will, thanks!
We'll be back in no time!
*the group walks off*
Good riddance. Indeed, let's go, Draco.

u2 - 31 - reach the cave from here.PNG

As I said, of course we can. It's only the dungeon hub!

There's only one thing to remember... Hmm, I think you already know it, but...
Stony Cave is... hmm, a Mystery Dungeon.
Yes, I do. And of course it would be. This game series is only called Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Snek: A Mystery Dungeon?
(I keep hearing those words, but...)
You must not know your own game series too well, huh? Well, get ready for some exposition. And yes, Snek talks here!

Draco: Mysterious things are always happening in areas like this.
Like every time you go into one, its layout will probably change.
Or an underground passage will lead to someplace you'd never expect.
But there are sure to be adventures waiting for you in those kinds of mysterious places!
Requisite and required once-per-game-explanation.

That was the idea that made want to buy land here
I thought it was mostly because you wanted a Pokemon Paradise?

Quagsire: It sure does sound fun when you put it like that, hmm?
Sometimes you can, hmm, find rare treasure!
And then everything's coming up roses, hmm?
And then...out of nowhere...
...you might get, hmm, viciously attacked by wild Pokemon.
Harsh, but in other PMD game, true statement about the realities of dungeon crawling. Since this is Gates to Infinity and since it's the second dungeon in the game however, I'm sure we'll be fine.

They're very dangerous places, so be careful, hmm?
Again, we'll be fine.

King Snek: (I-I see...)
(This job may not be quite as easy as I'd thought...)
You get that line of thinking just like that? Okay???

(Then again, building a house isn't easy either...)
True, but this is a kind of weird line you have here.

Quagsire: Might as well at least try your best, hmm?
I guess so. But it's not like we have to try hard in most of this game.

Draco: You know, Quagsire...
You do full understand the danger we're about to face, right?
Don't you think you could summon up a bit more genuine concern?
I mean, it's not like he owes us that level of concern. Him helping us find a carpenter is above and beyond what I expected of him.

u2 - 32 - quag telling it as it is.PNG

There's more of that typical Quagsire rudeness. But I appreciate him being so forthright with us.

Why start now, hmm?
A stance I can appreciate.

And besides...
Draco: Besides?
Quagsire: I somehow get the feeling, hmm, that you two can make through anything together.
Of course you would get that feeling. They're the protagonists!

It's rather reassuring, hmm?
Even if it's based on, hmm, absolutely nothing at all.
Well, at least you acknowledge the irony in your statements.

Draco: Honestly, Quagsire, you are just...
I don't know if you're thinking what I'm thinking, but he sure is a character, isn't he?

Well, we DO want to have a house... So we've just got to try, anyway.
King Snek?
Before we head out, let's make sure we know what we're doing.
We've been told what we need to do countless times. Do we really need to go over it again?

Gurdurr wants us to go all the way into the Stony Cave and get five blue gems...
That's what he said, right?
Again, this is the billionth time this has been reiterated!

*Snek nods*
All right! Then let's go!
We're definitely gonna get some of those blue gems and build ourselves a house!
Indeed let's. Let's stop talking and do something.

u2 - 33 - overworld free roamish.PNG

The game does not force us to go to Stony Cave immediately and allows me full access to the overworld now. Let's go check out Paradise and the rest of Post Town, shall we?

(Music in Paradise: Pokemon Paradise 1)
We wander a bit around the nondescript badlands a bit and find this mailbox with a free Reviver Seed!:
u2 - 34 - free reviver seed.PNG

In truth, this is tied to a StreetPass player rescue system. However, since we're on an emulator, we're ignoring it.

We head to Post Town, which plays its normal music. (We've heard it before, I know. I'm just being nice here. I guess.)

u2 - 35 - swanna cafe overlook.PNG

The overlook area on Swanna's Cafe. Not the full part of the map, but oh well.

u2 - 36 - post town top.PNG

Here's the top section of Post Town. Barring the fountain, there's nothing important happening here (yet). I also won't usually mention what NPCs say, but the Herdier and Lillipup are talking about the lack of some sort of rainbows or something and how it's demotivating to Pokemon. Why you need rainbows to give purpose to your life, I don't know.

u2 - 37 - swanna cafe floor 1.PNG

We've seen this before, but this is the first floor of Swanna's Cafe. We can't shop here, but plot occasionally happens here, like we saw earlier.

u2 - 38 - swanna cafe floor 2.PNG

Second floor of Swanna's Cafe, where the guest rooms are.

We head the the last part of Post Town to (where the Gold Bars are) show off the last few shops.
u2 - 39 - show sales-mon stand.PNG

Ugh, the awful puns (and with this logic, everything that has "man" or the like in its name should replace that with "-mon". So Gurdurr shouldn't have said that he was a craftsman. He should have said that he was a crafts-mon. So much for consistency, Spike-Chunsoft.). We'll go over this place more once the mechanics relevant to this place come into play. The lame excuse here of why it's closed is that Roggenrola is repairing the place.

u2 - 40 - glorious gold.PNG

This is Glorious Gold. We'll go over this place in more detail once the mechanic pertaining to this shop actually enters gameplay. Also, Cofagrigus's shop is nominally closed. And as for this edition of Lame Excuses of Why Shops Are Closed (TM), he's supposedly setting up shop.

All in all, Post Town feels less like a town, and more like a, well, trading post. So that's where it gets its name! And it's supported by what the characters said to a degree.

u2 - 41 - the cynical bastard at heart.PNG

This is Foongus. Foongus is a being made up of pure hatred, cynicism, greed, and evil. He reminds you of cheap cash grabs. He's likely the true reason why things are going wrong. I didn't want to show Foongus, but I thought I would just for the sake of being thorough. Foongus is the DLC shop owner, the avatar of the corporate suits at Spike-Chunsoft telling despite anything the game might have to say, it's all a lie. You need to give them your money. All of it. On overpriced content that should have been on the game at release. The game's already easy, but if you hand over your money, Foongus can give you shit that will make it easier. He's the antithesis of everything good and decent in the world. And of course he's open, because you need to give Spike-Chunsoft your money now.

Fortunately though, we're on an emulator and couldn't connect to Nintendo's servers for this even if we tried. So fuck Foongus and may he rot for all eternity in his corner. We may be evil, but Foogus is on a whole different level. We have some class. he's just pure evil.

Oh don't worry though, we'll be revisiting the existence of Foongus and his DLC later on when we do the ending reflections. But for now, fuck him.

Well, that aside, the game is still almost fully playable without the shitty DLC. And you probably don't to hear me rant about this all day long, so let's move on......

Let's get to the dungeon screen now!
u2 - 42 - dungeon screen.PNG

Obviously we don't have much places we can go at the start of the game. And I know I wanted to stop talking about DLC, but there you go. Despite my bitching about it, I still acquired it as I might need to get it working if I want to recruit 'em all in this game (it's that bad). However, it's not loading the dungeons properly right now (still need to look into this), so right now, I'm trying to recruit 'em all.

Anyways, Stony Cave is where we need to go. I brought my Protein, Iron, and Sitrus Berry so Snek can chug them down once we're inside.

Draco: All right! Let's go!
We're going to to get those blue gems!
Do. We. Need. To. Keep. Repeating. This?

Dungeon: Stony Cave (Music) (A pretty catchy and upbeat theme. I like it.)
(Potential Recruits: Klink, Drilbur, Joltik, Gothita, Woobat, Braviary (later))

u2 - 43 - the improved snek.PNG

After a scuffle and ingesting the steroids, our favorite Snivy has a grand total of +3 HP and +2 Attack and Defense. Impressive, I know /s.

u2 - 44 - draco's first level up.PNG

We beat the ever living shit out of some wild Pokemon and Draco grows his first level in the LP. The slow text speed infests even this as each stat gain. Goes. One. At. A. Time.

u2 - 45 - snek's first level.PNG

After a bit more violence (Yes, we're still very much pacifists, thank you! Geez. People thinking we condone violence in this LP...... Bring it all on! >:D), King Snek grows his first level. Neither starter gets a new move. And like Drenched Bluff, this dungeon fails to live up to its so called "dangerous" hype. Not like that's surprising for this game.

u2 - 46 - the red door.PNG

Barring the obvious narration, we find a door colored red. Gates expands the key and locked door system from previous games by having different doors need different keys or the like to open them. And the rewards are usually better. This is offset by stronger Pokemon often existing behind them. This is where the Braviary mentioned in the potential recruits section above comes into play.

Anyways, to open this door, we need a Red Key, which we don't have. We turn around and head on through the dungeon.

After B5F, we get this:
*black screen, no music*
Draco: Phew... We've come pretty far in...
Doesn't seem like it to me. We only got through 5 floors dammit! That's nothing!

Hey! Over there! Something's shining!
What is? I can't see anything.

Come on, King Snek!
Not like we have a choice.

u2 - 47 - the blue gems.PNG

These are indeed gems and they are indeed blue. You obvious intuition still never fails to surprise me.

These have got to be the gems Gurdurr was talking about.
It seems so.

*zoom in on a big blue gem*
HM Snek: (This does seem to be the end of the cave, after all...)
Looks like all we need to do is bring some of these stones back with us, huh?
Yes, we've said this a trillion times already. Take 5 gems. Bring gems to Gurdurr. He and Timburr build house. Got it? Also, it's nice to see that Snek is a more talkative than other PMD player characters.

*back to normal*
Draco: Yeah. Let's pick some out and head back, why don't we?
*digs at some gems*
You sure you got them all? Doesn't seem like size matters. Gurdurr just said for us to get 5 small ones.

u2 - 48 - got all 5 gems.PNG

Okay, that answers my question. Thanks.

King Snek! Let's hurry back to town!
Once we do, we'll have Gurdurr get started on our house!
Still not totally sold on this, but oh well....

(No music)
u2 - 49 - back from stony cave.PNG

*Draco walks to Post Town*
King Snek: (Draco sure is excited...)
(He must be thrilled to think he'll finally have his own home.)
(I can understand...that kind of feeling.)
*he runs to Post Town too*
You can? Okay then. Also, he probably had a home before this. He's just getting a house at his new home.

*In Post Town with its music playing*
Draco: We're here! We're back in Post Town!
Let's go find Gurdurr right away!
Okay then. But then why are we dawdling here?

u2 - 50 - the thief.PNG

Hey! That was very rude of you run into our friend Draco, Scraggy! Say sorry!

Hey, watch it!
What he said.

(Scraggy) ???: I-I'm sorry! I'm just really in a hurry!
P-please excuse me!
*He runs off*
The game display's Scraggy's name as "???" at this time, but we all know what kind of Pokemon he is (I hope). Anyways, what a rude Pokemon. He should hang out with Quagsire.

Draco: Man, that surprised me! What was that all about...
Who knows? We're not gaining anything by standing around here worrying about it though.

Oh, never mind.
Let's go, King Snek!
*they head to Swanna's Cafe*
Yes, finally. Let's stop dawdling and start getting our house under construction. And start our plans for world domination!

(No music)
u2 - 51 - you got the goods.PNG

Draco: We did! There were some pretty fierce enemies in that cave, but we still did it!
Draco, we kicked the ever living shit out of them. They where hardly any sort of tough. (Yep, still total pacifists here.)

Gurdurr: Good for you. Well, a promise is a promise. I'll build you that house of yours.
Draco: Yesss!
Don't get too ahead of yourself man.

Gurdurr: Well, once you give the gems, that is...
This is a thing.

Draco: Of course!
*he tries to produce the gems*
...Huh?
Gurdurr: What is it?
Uh oh.

u2 - 52 - they're gone!.PNG

Dammit man! We trusted you with those gems, and you lost them! Unless.....

(Music: That is Odd...)
Snek: (What?)
Draco: *he keeps searching* That's so weird! I know I was carrying them on the way here...
No matter how many times I check...they're not here.
Come on man! You can't be this klutzy! You don't seem that klutzy.

He does this again....

u2 - 53 - jackass gurdurr.PNG

I know we fucked up, but that's pretty rude of you, Gurdurr.

You're messing with me, right? You never even went to get them, did you?
We did, but somebody lost them.

Then I guess I can't build you a house, now can I?
I guess you can't. But why accept easily acquired gems as payment anyways? We will remember this injustice when we rule the world!

Draco: We really did get the blue gems, though! You've gotta believe us!
While he's a klutz, I can vouch for Draco, I did indeed see him pick up some gems (sadly you, the readers, couldn't :( ).

Gurdurr: Where are they, then?
Hmph...I guess you'd better just go get some more.
Good luck.
I guess we have no other choice. Thanks for the words of encouragement at least.

*music cuts out*
Draco: That's...
*fade out*
Next time, don't misplace the gems man.

(Music: Come on in to Post Town!)
u2 - 54 - draco's sure he had them.PNG

We did have them, but what's there to get? You either misplaced them or.....

Snek: (That is odd...)
(I know I saw Draco pick up the blue gems in that cave...)
(And Draco was walking in front of me the whole way home...)
(If he'd dropped the gems, I'm pretty sure I would've noticed...)
Maybe you're just not very observant? I mean there is that other thing, but.......

Draco: Hmm. It's pretty hard to swallow, huh? But wondering about it isn't helping either.
We'll just have to go and get some more blue gems...
If we want a house from Gurdurr, that is the sad reality of the situation.

*freeroam. I do nothing of note.*
*team heads to the end of town*
Draco: ...Hm? Huh?
That Pokemon...
u2 - 55 - scraggy walks off.PNG

King Snek: (Isn't that...the Pokemon who...)
...rudely bumped into Draco? Yes.

(That's it!)
(Draco might've dropped the gems when we ran into him before!)
Seems likely, or......

(Maybe if we talk to that Pokemon, he'll know something.)
That's assuming he has the time. Though why's he back here so fast if he said he was in a hurry?..........

*Snek turns to Draco to say something. Draco turns to meet Snek.*
Draco: ...Hm? What is it, King Snek?
What? You want to ask that Pokemon we just saw if he knows anything?
Yep. Apparently. We'll see how well that works.

...OK!
If we really did drop the blue gems on our way here to town...
...then that Pokemon might have found them!
At this point, I expect you to quickly go with Snek's plans with little resistance. And if we dropped them on the way, who's to assume it's him who found the gems? He's not the only Pokemon who travels in out of this town.

If we waste time, we're going to lose sight of him!
King Snek! Pick up those feet!
I think we already lost sight of him long ago. Running after him now without knowing where he's going is a waste of time.

(Music cuts out)
u2 - 56 - wait!.PNG

Who's this?

u2 - 57 - timburr!.PNG

Ah, it's them. But along what Draco is saying, I didn't expect them. Then again, they've been acting a bit weird.

Sorry though. No time to talk. We're in a bit of a hurry right now.
Timburr: ...We know.
You're going after Scraggy, aren't you?
Yep. We seem to be. Make it quick.

(Music: The Carpenter of Post Town)
Draco: Scraggy?
You mean that Pokemon who just left...is called Scraggy?
You really need learn your Pokemon species man. There's not many in this game.

Other Timburr: Yeah. 'Course he is. And if you wanna know where he's going...
Well, we can tell you that.
That second sentence. Thank you for think what I'm thinking. And sure, tell us where he's going. It's not like we have any leads.

Draco: Wha--?
Timburr: Scraggy is headed to for Hazy Pass. You'll find him if you go there.
Other Timburr: Yeah, so you little punks had better-- I mean, we, uh, we think think you should go.
Rude word choice, Other Timburr! But the information is appreciated.

u2 - 58 - the thief is nominally exposed.PNG

So wait? He actually did? I sort of suspected him, but this outright confirms it. How do I know? Pacing and conservation of detail my dear readers.

Just go get your blue gems back already!
Draco: You mean our blue gems...were stolen?!
Yes, they were. And does it really surprise you?

Timburr: It happened before you two came to the inn.
When Scraggy bumped into you from behind...
Other Timburr: ...he took your blue gems.
Draco: Wh-whaat?!
B-but you... How could the two of you possibly know that?
That's a very good question. Do extrapolate our Timburr associates......

*the Timburr look at each and panic, then look back at the team*
Timburr: W-we--!
Other Timburr: W-we're sorry, all right?! We didn't mean nothing' by it!
*they run off*
Wait, what? Come back here! We need more answers! And Other Timburr. You almost absolved yourself from your crimes against Grammar! But that's the second double negative this update! This is unforgivable! Grammar Police move out!

Draco: Whoa! Wait! Waaaiiit!
u2 - 59 - they're long gone supposedly.PNG

Really? Where could they have ran off too? There's nowhere they really could have gone in that direction to be "long gone".

*camera pans over the team a little*
I'm not really sure what just happened here, but...
What's there to understand? The Timburr told us Scraggy stole our gems. We should go get them back with violence (again, we're totally peaceful and would never hurt another Pokemon). Or just go back to Stony Cave. There was plenty of gems there.

The Timburr told us to get back our blue gems...
And that they were stolen when that Scraggy guy ran into us...
Stop repeating everything that was said! We get it!

King Snek: (When Scraggy...ran into us...)
Hardly seems like there was enough time to steal them in that second, though...
Draco: Yeah, but the Timburr seemed pretty serious about it...
Well, King Snek! We might as well go after Scraggy and see what he has to say!
More like we'll have to kick his ass. Though he likely will be hostile, we must never scoop to his level and confront him with peace....

They said he was headed someplace called Hazy Pass.
I'm guessing we can probably get there from the crossroads.
Might as well start there and see!! Let's go!
*free roam*
u2 - 60 - update end.PNG

Okay man. Let's end here though.

Next time on PMD: Gates to Infinity:
We pursue Scraggy and confront him about the blue gems. We learn the truth behind the theft and explore themes I never thought a Pokemon game would even semi realistically explore. Also, we might get a house. Who knows? Whatever the case, we will be one step closer to world domination!

Hew....... Another long ass update. I need to take it easier. Anyways, please feel free to give me feedback and names for recruits. Also, I'm thinking about changing the style of this LP from posts to video with commentary. Tell me what you think about that. See you next time, whenever that'll be.

Again, ignore the attachments. I keep making that mistake......

Attachments

Last edited:
you mentioned not losing items as being something that makes the game easier - is gti actually harder than the ones before it (a la super) or is it still kinda easy?

You still lose some items in GtI if you lose, just supposedly not as much as PMD1 and 2. And yes, that makes it easier. If the punishment for failure is lighter, then by definition the game is easier. And finally, as I said, Gates is as easy as I say it is (and it will become even easier when we get access to later mechanics). There's no compensation for the game being even easier than PMD1 and 2. We might be challenged a few times here and there, but the game hardly makes up for its easier mechanics.

(Fun fact: Both the player and partner in this game are always male outside Japan, without fail. Why, I don't know. It does make the game even less replayable and less attractive to people who want female starters though.)
HI!!!!! HI YES YOU CALLED!!!! that is literally the only reason why i never played it when it first came out and i am still angry about that to this day
Just thought of this again from the Gates to Infinity recruit 'em all livestream and if I recall correctly, it's pretty much because the original Japanese game was never programmed to dynamically switch out pronouns in text boxes. Then the translators only have control over the text of the game, not the programming. A stupid reason definitely, but not a nonexistent reason.

If you've played Earthbound, the "translators can't change the programming" obstacle is on full display and the team actually went out of their way to try to work around it. E.g. in the text line "You found a <item>" the game is only programmed to fill in the name of the item, and it can't switch out "a" for "an" or remove it for plural items (and this problem doesn't apply in Japanese). So they literally made sure every item's name was both singular and started with a consonant, resulting in interesting changes like "Orange juice" -> "Can of fruit juice" and "Noodles of life" -> "Cup of lifenoodles".

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)